North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

D/FW Academy Leagues - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

D/FW Academy Leagues

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

D/FW Academy Leagues - Page 2 Empty Re: D/FW Academy Leagues

Post by tigerdad 15/02/12, 10:49 am

Androfan wrote:

No one can deny their are clubs out there that will take anyone's money and hand them a uniform, place on a team, and form a team when all that team is is a glorified rec team.

This is the hard truth. If you watch many of these younger academy teams, you see 1-2 exceptional players surrounded by a group of players that might be better suited to getting the touches in a smaller-sided rec environment. I do like to see kids playing both as there is value in both up to a certain age.

tigerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BackDraft 15/02/12, 11:18 am

Now we are getting somewhere. I am not the anti-christ of soccer. I just want people to know the route that is being set in front of you. Is not the only way to high level soccer.

#1 thing is to keep the game pure and that let the kids love it and learn it. It doesn't have to be micro managed to the point where it has fee for everything about it.

Yes make some extra money working with youth is fine.

But please don't make it a ponzi system.
BackDraft
BackDraft
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 15/02/12, 11:51 am

BackDraft wrote:Now we are getting somewhere. I am not the anti-christ of soccer. I just want people to know the route that is being set in front of you. Is not the only way to high level soccer.#1 thing is to keep the game pure and that let the kids love it and learn it. It doesn't have to be micro managed to the point where it has fee for everything about it.

Ok you try to take your Rec team or Rec player right to select when they are of age. Get back to me and let me know how that works out for you.
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/02/12, 12:05 pm

Seven wrote:
BackDraft wrote:Now we are getting somewhere. I am not the anti-christ of soccer. I just want people to know the route that is being set in front of you. Is not the only way to high level soccer.#1 thing is to keep the game pure and that let the kids love it and learn it. It doesn't have to be micro managed to the point where it has fee for everything about it.

Ok you try to take your Rec team or Rec player right to select when they are of age. Get back to me and let me know how that works out for you.

Seven - I think you are missing the point. Academy has gotten just too watered down. Look at the latest thread - Solar East 07---07?! WOW. These girls should be playing rec. and I think it is criminal of clubs to take advantage of parents by supporting such young teams. A line has to be drawn at some point. I am not sure of how many teams are out there in each of the age groups, but I do know that it is WAY to many, that is why there is such a big gap between the top 3-4 teams in the respected age group and all that fall below. Each team that fall in the latter gap have maybe 4 "quality" players, then players that have no business playing at the level they are playing. But all the clubs see is $$$$$. What a shame!

Back to top Go down

Post by Itsme 15/02/12, 12:10 pm

Over the Top wrote:
Seven wrote:

Seven - I think you are missing the point. Academy has gotten just too watered down. Look at the latest thread - Solar East 07---07?! WOW. These girls should be playing rec. and I think it is criminal of clubs to take advantage of parents by supporting such young teams. A line has to be drawn at some point. I am not sure of how many teams are out there in each of the age groups, d]]but I do know[/u] that it is WAY to many, that is why there is such a big gap between the top 3-4 teams in the respected age group and all that fall below. Each team that fall in the latter gap have maybe 4 "quality" players, then players that have no business playing at the level they are playing. But all the clubs see is $$$$$. What a shame!

How do you know that and what is your basis for truly knowing?

And why not? Based on what criteria? Who gets to play soccer god-judge and make that decision if it's not the parents?

Itsme
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/02/12, 12:12 pm

How do I know? I've watched the games. Sorry if the truth hurts!

Back to top Go down

Post by Itsme 15/02/12, 12:18 pm

Over the Top wrote:How do I know? I've watched the games. Sorry if the truth hurts!

Funny. I didn't realize you had conducted such extensive research into the matter. Clearly, you do know with absolute certainty. Still trying to find the truth here or why it would be remotely painful. What is crystal clear here is that ignorance is bliss.

Itsme
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/02/12, 12:26 pm

Itsme wrote:
Over the Top wrote:How do I know? I've watched the games. Sorry if the truth hurts!

Funny. I didn't realize you had conducted such extensive research into the matter. Clearly, you do know with absolute certainty. Still trying to find the truth here or why it would be remotely painful. What is crystal clear here is that ignorance is bliss.

lol! Carry On!!

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 15/02/12, 01:00 pm

Seven wrote:

Ok. I did on the boys side . He is regional ODP, Team captain on a top CL D1 team, All District HS freshman and Sophamore years ( a junior now). All rec until U11.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by angrydog 15/02/12, 01:02 pm

my2cents wrote:
Seven wrote:

Ok. I did on the boys side . He is regional ODP, Team captain on a top CL D1 team, All District HS freshman and Sophamore years ( a junior now). All rec until U11.

I hope he's a better speller than you!
angrydog
angrydog
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/02/12, 01:02 pm

my2cents wrote:
Seven wrote:

cheers AMEN!

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 15/02/12, 01:10 pm

my2cents wrote:
Seven wrote:

OK you have overwhelmed me with a wealth of evidence. A broken clock is right twice a day
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by BackDraft 15/02/12, 01:16 pm

Seven wrote:

We have and it worked out just fine for us. Actually she was tons better than most that had been in Academy for a few years. I just worked with her on a few key things and then just stepped back. She learned most everything else by herself or her peers. Isn't that a novel concept.

The only thing she ever learned from a academy coach was how to be on time for the games and practice. Well I can't say that is the only thing. She learned alot of tactical things for him. Just about everything else was just watching soccer being played. At all different levels. Believe this or not I would say there are many that are just playing school yard soccer that can't afford the academy soccer. That would be able to step right onto a select soccer team and do fairly well.

Wait a minute...Your right the academy players always do much better in select than the ones that don't train in academy. lol!

Plain and simple the academy programs are based on what parents don't know! Do you really think it is that hard to teach the basic soccer skills to children and let them master them before you move on to the tactical and technical bs that are needed to win some overrated league. The truth is most of our youth lack mastery of basic skills. Due to the pressure of winning leagues.

My take would be let them train with academy programs with qualified coaches and play rec games on the weekends. And at u-12 or u-13 let them go select. It would be less wasteful to them and parents. Clubs would start having better soccer players as a result.

No wait a minute your way is the best way! lol!
BackDraft
BackDraft
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 15/02/12, 01:32 pm

We are running an experiment in our home. One daugther plays academy, practices 2xs a week, often plays 2 games on Saturday and attends private skills training on Sundays. The other daughter plays rec soccer for the Strawberry Shortcakes, which is coached by a nuturing dad who provides useful strategies such as "kick-it" and "run". However, daughter #2 is also spending 3 hours a day watching the Fox Soccer Channel. I'll report back in a couple of years with the results.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/02/12, 01:34 pm

oldboot wrote:We are running an experiment in our home. One daugther plays academy, practices 2xs a week, often plays 2 games on Saturday and attends private skills training on Sundays. The other daughter plays rec soccer for the Strawberry Shortcakes, which is coached by a nuturing dad who provides useful strategies such as "kick-it" and "run". However, daughter #2 is also spending 3 hours a day watching the Fox Soccer Channel. I'll report back in a couple of years with the results.

Please tell me they are twins... I will feel more confident about the results. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 15/02/12, 01:56 pm

Seven wrote:
my2cents wrote:
Seven wrote:

OK you have overwhelmed me with a wealth of evidence. A broken clock is right twice a day

I really don't think the average kid needs a professional coach from 5 to 9 years old or their whole soccer career is lost. I have seen exactly what BD says. Kid with alot of skill on the ball and no team experience at all step in at 12-14 years old and be up to or past everyone in one year. Why? That player is used to getting out in the yard on their own or with friends and has developed a touch, a love of the game and the will and ability to practice and develop on their own. Where is your wealth of evedence it won't work? Your coach that you pay told you?

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by angrydog 15/02/12, 02:38 pm

oldboot wrote:We are running an experiment in our home. One daugther plays academy, practices 2xs a week, often plays 2 games on Saturday and attends private skills training on Sundays. The other daughter plays rec soccer for the Strawberry Shortcakes, which is coached by a nuturing dad who provides useful strategies such as "kick-it" and "run". However, daughter #2 is also spending 3 hours a day watching the Fox Soccer Channel. I'll report back in a couple of years with the results.

Do you love one of them more than the other?
angrydog
angrydog
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2