North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Over-Involved sports Parent? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Over-Involved sports Parent?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Over-Involved sports Parent? Empty Over-Involved sports Parent?

Post by Guest 22/08/12, 03:19 pm

I read an article the other day about signs that you may be an over-involved sports parent. They listed the following:

1. Do you attend every practice of your kid. At the younger ages you may have to, but when you are there, do you watch on pins and needles for your kid to make a play? Do you cheer at the practices? Do you yell at your kid to hustle, work harder, during practice?

I have seen all of these and been guilty of a few too.

2. Do you coach from the sideline? Enough said.

3. Do talk about the sport constantly while at home, in the car, watch it on TV?

4. Do you critique your kid after the game on the way home?

5. Have you ever missed a game?

6. Do you miss family or school functions instead of missing a sports event?

7. Do you talk to the coach about your kids position or about how much playing time your kid gets and try to lobby for your kid?

AFter reading this list, I find that I am probably a little over-involved and plan to try and take it easier this Fall. Maybe miss some practices, pipe down during games, and not talk about soccer around my kids.

Due to the fact anyone reading this is on a website for parents to talk about kids soccer, I imagine most are also over-involved.

Some things to think about. Have a great Fall.

Back to top Go down

Over-Involved sports Parent? Empty Re: Over-Involved sports Parent?

Post by Slakemoth 22/08/12, 03:29 pm

This syndrome reaches its peak at U10 and U11, then trails off steadily each year after that.....

Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/12, 03:38 pm

Slakemoth wrote:This syndrome reaches its peak at U10 and U11, then trails off steadily each year after that.....

I hope so cause i hate it.

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder 22/08/12, 04:03 pm

Slakemoth wrote:This syndrome reaches its peak at U10 and U11, then trails off steadily each year after that.....

Yes, but still flares up every June/July
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/12, 04:51 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:I read an article the other day about signs that you may be an over-involved sports parent. They listed the following:

1. Do you attend every practice of your kid. At the younger ages you may have to, but when you are there, do you watch on pins and needles for your kid to make a play? Do you cheer at the practices? Do you yell at your kid to hustle, work harder, during practice?

3. Do talk about the sport constantly while at home, in the car, watch it on TV?

7. Do you talk to the coach about your kids position or about how much playing time your kid gets and try to lobby for your kid?

AFter reading this list, I find that I am probably a little over-involved and plan to try and take it easier this Fall. Maybe miss some practices, pipe down during games, and not talk about soccer around my kids.

Due to the fact anyone reading this is on a website for parents to talk about kids soccer, I imagine most are also over-involved.

sorry got to disagree with this. how bout this?

ever pay thousands of dollars for something and NOT be involved with the outcome?

ever invested enormous sums of time and effort and NOT been involved w the outcome?

ever have a hobby and be expected to just ignore it?

games are 2 hrs of time 19-20 weeks out of the year but i guess sleeping in or raking the yard is more important than watching your kids experience the highs and lows of competition and letting them know their hard work is noticed.

sorry we love soccer and don't make any excuses about it....

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 22/08/12, 04:52 pm

hahaha... yup.

For the record I would still rather miss most school functions to watch the kid play soccer....

but practices (the ones your kid doesn't drive herself to) will soon be spent b.s.'ing with the other parents about the Rangers, the latest book they're reading or where Dempsey should transfer to.... hardly paying attention to the girls as they practice ( and let me tell you.. they LOVE that). I miss not going to them now... I find it very relaxing and a lot of fun. Games are just as fun as you mingle with old friends and parents on the opposing team, while you enjoy (that's right I said "enjoy" not "stress over") the girl's game and toss out pot-shots at the referees....(some things never get old).

There is no doubt that you will look back at how you acted and viewed things when your kiddo was 10 thru 12 and shake your head in disbelief. Then look over at a younger game going on and see the cycle of baloney starting all over again.....
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/12, 04:52 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:I read an article the other day about signs that you may be an over-involved sports parent. They listed the following:

ever pay thousands of dollars for something and NOT be involved with the outcome?

ever invested enormous sums of time and effort and NOT been involved w the outcome?

games are 2 hrs of time 19-20 weeks out of the year but i guess sleeping in or raking the yard is more important than watching your kids experience the highs and lows of competition and letting them know their hard work is noticed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/12, 06:09 pm

silentparent wrote:

I just can't let this one go. The target you painted on your back is simply unavoidable. Here's the one thing you seem to be overlooking: It's your kid's sport, not yours. You spend thousands of dollars for SOMEONE ELSE to work with your child toward the outcome. Stalking your precious Mia during practices and games won't help her out. It just makes you look like a nut. But by indicating that select soccer is somehow your "hobby" gives you away as being fully certifiable. Most soccer parents don't "love soccer". They tend to know jack about the sport except for what they've seen by regularly fixating on their own kids at the practices and games.

Here's an idea: If you want to claim a hobby, then get one of your own. But please spare us the "I'm an over-involved parent but that's how it should be" speech. Your attitude on this will (thankfully) change significantly in a few years, and you'll (hopefully) look back at your current rationale and laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/08/12, 08:41 pm

Xara wrote:
silentparent wrote:

I just can't let this one go. The target you painted on your back is simply unavoidable. Here's the one thing you seem to be overlooking: It's your kid's sport, not yours. You spend thousands of dollars for SOMEONE ELSE to work with your child toward the outcome. Stalking your precious Mia during practices and games won't help her out. It just makes you look like a nut. But by indicating that select soccer is somehow your "hobby" gives you away as being fully certifiable. Most soccer parents don't "love soccer". They tend to know jack about the sport except for what they've seen by regularly fixating on their own kids at the practices and games.

Here's an idea: If you want to claim a hobby, then get one of your own. But please spare us the "I'm an over-involved parent but that's how it should be" speech. Your attitude on this will (thankfully) change significantly in a few years, and you'll (hopefully) look back at your current rationale and laugh.

LMAO, being called a certifiable nut by XARA of all people. you are a coach's dream, pay up, shut up and don't bother me. i can understand why a coach would want YOU to do that though......

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 22/08/12, 09:52 pm

Well... if it was in an article, then by all means it must be true. Isn't that right, Jayson Blair? Jonah Lehrer?

Rolling Eyes

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by geno105 22/08/12, 10:20 pm

Sounds like a cool idea for a poll. Something like "what kind of a soccer parent are you?" I'm one that looks at it as "my dd will be out of the nest before I know it - enjoy every second". Meaning she will be out of the nest before I know and I want to witness everything I can so I can cherish the memories forever. There are several other types that someone could be. What are they? Someone create a poll. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see your dd at every opportunity as she progresses through life. It doesn't necessarily mean you are an over the top parent. There's also nothing wrong with keeping your distance by not being at every little thing if your dd needs independence to achieve or that's just the type you are.
geno105
geno105
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 23/08/12, 08:39 am

being involved shows that you are interested in your kids sport. It has been my experience that the drop off soccer is an expensive babysitter kids do not do as well as the kids who's parents are at practice. Weather it's sports, hobbies, video games, or TV try to show some interest in the things that your kid enjoys. I am at practice as a sign of support. That what my kid does is important to me. I am also there to look out and protect my kid to make sure no lines are crossed.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/08/12, 09:07 am

go99 wrote:being involved shows that you are interested in your kids sport. It has been my experience that the drop off soccer is an expensive babysitter kids do not do as well as the kids who's parents are at practice. Weather it's sports, hobbies, video games, or TV try to show some interest in the things that your kid enjoys. I am at practice as a sign of support. That what my kid does is important to me. I am also there to look out and protect my kid to make sure no lines are crossed.

Exactamundo! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by blondefish 23/08/12, 09:35 am

Interesting... but here's my take on possibly the difference between being plugged in vs over-involved:
RunsLikeWind wrote:
1. Do you attend every practice of your kid. Short version = YES. Whether it's the social aspect from getting to know the parents or being there for the possibility of an early rain/lightning cancellation or injury .. I'm there.
2. Do you coach cheer from the sideline? YES
3. Do talk about the sport constantly while at home, in the car, watch it on TV? Hard not to be entertained by the Women's Nat'l team!!
4. Do you critique your kid after the game on the way home? NO, they don't need us telling them what they did wrong. That's the coach's job. But we do point out the positives.
5. Have you ever missed a game? We've been very fortunate between both of my kiddos, we've missed very very few. My kids still excitingly ask questions starting with "Did you see that one play where _____ ?"
6. Do you miss family or school functions instead of missing a sports event? Not much. Good planning allows alot. Like a Star @ heaven
7. Do you talk to the coach about your kids position or about how much playing time your kid gets and try to lobby for your kid? ABSOLUTELY NOT. We've always put that in the hands of our kiddo. By stepping back, our kids have brought their questions or concerns to the coaches themselves. This way they own their concern as well as their solution. Smile
blondefish
blondefish
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.texasmustangssc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 23/08/12, 10:20 am

Parents need to teach their children life skills in order for them to succeed. A couple of them are "competition" and "life is not always fair". Where better than competitive soccer can you teach these?

Over the last generation or so, the bleeding-hearts have tried to remove competition from anything and everything in the idyllic vision of "self-esteem". They want to remove the word "loser" from any kids vocabulary. Field day does not have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place ribbons anymore...its all participation awards, and everybody gets one. They dumb down tests so the dumb kids feel better about themselves. It is just pervasive - and makes the kids feel entitled to being a "winner" just because they showed up. This spawns things like the occupy movement, where you have all these kids getting out of college, and whine and moan that they can't get a 100K job, instead of starting at the bottom like their parents had to do...degree or not. Face it, in the real world, when you go to a job interview, it is a competition, and there will be one winner and multiple losers - the work and preparation you put in leading up to any competition has a direct effect on the outcome.

Winning is euphoric, and losing hurts. We don't have to cheer to make our little athlete feel good when they win, nor do we have to scold them to make them feel bad when they lose. They feel that just fine on their own. What we can do, is teach them to be good sports when they win and not degrade the team they just beat, and we can teach them that if they re-apply themselves and work a bit harder, they might find themselves on the winning side next time.

Life is not always fair - sometimes Suzy gets more playing time than Janie because Suzy's mom is hotter and the coach is a horn-dog. sometimes you get a biased ref that should have gone ahead and just wore the other team's jersey. sometimes you get cut from the team. That stuff happens, unfortunately. As parents, we need to educate our children how to deal with the situation, rather than becoming child-like ourselves. (that part is really hard for me). Whether it means moving to another team, just keeping our mouths shut, etc. "change the things I can, accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference".. Smile

Regarding money, time, etc.--- If you view soccer as an investment toward a college scholarship, get out. Put your money in a savings account - it will be safer there. As bad as it sounds, I funded my older boy's soccer as an anti-drug measure. Top-tier soccer forces the athletes to care for their bodies, makes them fear random drug tests more than mom and dad, and it takes up so much of their time, that they don't have time to go out and get in trouble out of boredom. I prefer to stay involved as much as possible, and the entire family tries to attend every game. A family that PRAYS together stays together, and a family that PLAYS together is happier still.

Just my $0.02 Wink
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/08/12, 10:24 am

[quote="silentparent"]

[/quote

Ever pay thousands of dollars for something and NOT be involved in the outcome? YES, Everytime my wife goes shopping for furniture Very Happy

Ever have a hobby and be expected to just ignore it? No, but I don't consider my kids sports as my hobby. I try to have my own seperate interests as it puts less pressure on the kids.

My main point and I think the articles was there needs to be a healthy balance. Some of the things above may show a sign the balance is being lost.

I have seen parents that cheer and yell for their kids at practice everytime she makes a play, for the whole two hours. The kid looks at mom after every play to make sure it was OK. That is over board in my mind.

I think we have all seen the results of the parents that are crazy with the kids. You have kids that always looking at their parents durnig the game, look sad if they make even a minor mistake, often cry on the field, etc. The reasons they get upset are normally because they feel they have let mom or dad down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/08/12, 10:28 am

go99 wrote:being involved shows that you are interested in your kids sport. It has been my experience that the drop off soccer is an expensive babysitter kids do not do as well as the kids who's parents are at practice. Weather it's sports, hobbies, video games, or TV try to show some interest in the things that your kid enjoys. I am at practice as a sign of support. That what my kid does is important to me. I am also there to look out and protect my kid to make sure no lines are crossed.

Total B.S. I can sit here and point out the plethora of reasons why nearly every parent posting on here is too involved in their kid's sport, needs to let the coach do his job, should stop living vicariously through their offspring, and generally just needs to shut up on the sideline... but it's like trying to explain to a schizophrenic that the voices aren't real. As mentioned, most of you will one day look back on all of this and think to yourselves "What the hell was I thinking? How could I let something like a child's sport permeate my every thought and action?" And you'll wish you could somehow get the time back to use for more meaningful time with your children. Of course, there will be others who will never let go. They'll hover over their Pele-ettes until the little dynamoes quit soccer in high school around U14 or U15. History repeats itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 23/08/12, 10:52 am

Xara wrote:

Total B.S. I can sit here and point out the plethora of reasons why nearly every parent posting on here is too involved in their kid's sport, needs to let the coach do his job, should stop living vicariously through their offspring, and generally just needs to shut up on the sideline... but it's like trying to explain to a schizophrenic that the voices aren't real. As mentioned, most of you will one day look back on all of this and think to yourselves "What the hell was I thinking? How could I let something like a child's sport permeate my every thought and action?" And you'll wish you could somehow get the time back to use for more meaningful time with your children. Of course, there will be others who will never let go. They'll hover over their Pele-ettes until the little dynamoes quit soccer in high school around U14 or U15. History repeats itself.

Now THAT'S the Xara we know. Welcome back! lol!

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 23/08/12, 10:55 am

10sDad wrote:Parents need to teach their children life skills in order for them to succeed. A couple of them are "competition" and "life is not always fair". Where better than competitive soccer can you teach these?

Over the last generation or so, the bleeding-hearts have tried to remove competition from anything and everything in the idyllic vision of "self-esteem". They want to remove the word "loser" from any kids vocabulary. Field day does not have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place ribbons anymore...its all participation awards, and everybody gets one. They dumb down tests so the dumb kids feel better about themselves. It is just pervasive - and makes the kids feel entitled to being a "winner" just because they showed up. This spawns things like the occupy movement, where you have all these kids getting out of college, and whine and moan that they can't get a 100K job, instead of starting at the bottom like their parents had to do...degree or not. Face it, in the real world, when you go to a job interview, it is a competition, and there will be one winner and multiple losers - the work and preparation you put in leading up to any competition has a direct effect on the outcome.

Winning is euphoric, and losing hurts. We don't have to cheer to make our little athlete feel good when they win, nor do we have to scold them to make them feel bad when they lose. They feel that just fine on their own. What we can do, is teach them to be good sports when they win and not degrade the team they just beat, and we can teach them that if they re-apply themselves and work a bit harder, they might find themselves on the winning side next time.

Life is not always fair - sometimes Suzy gets more playing time than Janie because Suzy's mom is hotter and the coach is a horn-dog. sometimes you get a biased ref that should have gone ahead and just wore the other team's jersey. sometimes you get cut from the team. That stuff happens, unfortunately. As parents, we need to educate our children how to deal with the situation, rather than becoming child-like ourselves. (that part is really hard for me). Whether it means moving to another team, just keeping our mouths shut, etc. "change the things I can, accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference".. Smile

Regarding money, time, etc.--- If you view soccer as an investment toward a college scholarship, get out. Put your money in a savings account - it will be safer there. As bad as it sounds, I funded my older boy's soccer as an anti-drug measure. Top-tier soccer forces the athletes to care for their bodies, makes them fear random drug tests more than mom and dad, and it takes up so much of their time, that they don't have time to go out and get in trouble out of boredom. I prefer to stay involved as much as possible, and the entire family tries to attend every game. A family that PRAYS together stays together, and a family that PLAYS together is happier still.

Just my $0.02 Wink

I think I agree with every bit of that!
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by 4-4-2-Diamond 23/08/12, 10:58 am

10sDad wrote:Parents need to teach their children life skills in order for them to succeed. A couple of them are "competition" and "life is not always fair". Where better than competitive soccer can you teach these?

Just my $0.02 Wink

+100

4-4-2-Diamond
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 23/08/12, 12:42 pm

Xara wrote:

It must suck to be you, dude. Sounds like you're surrounded by outliers. Perhaps you need to immerse yourself in a more normalized environment.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 23/08/12, 01:09 pm

Just my $0.02 Wink

OK - got it - pray and play together - good thoughts - now tell us more about Suzy's mom.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 23/08/12, 01:10 pm

Xara wrote:

My oldest isn't that old but he does play up with kids that age. He still goes out to kick the ball around with his old dad even though he is probably too good to be wasting time kicking with me. He still loves to take about the cool plays he did and hey did you see it when I did this or that. Nice try Xara but you know good and well parental envolvment is not the reason kids quit soccer. I do think the call for parents to pay and shut the hell up is usually followed by bad coaching. A good coach knows that an active participating parent is the best way to develope a kid. If mom and dad don't kick around or take him someplace to kick the ball around it doesn't matter how much coaching you do the kid will never be any good. You want a behavior reinforced mom and dad spend more time and have a bigger influence than you. Kid needs to put forth more effort? Again mom and dad. But the go away and don't look over my shoulder just trust that I know what I am doing is old school. Guess what coaches many parents have played soccer and have some idea of whats going on. So the question XARA is if you are a coach what are you trying to hide? If you are a parent and your DD says I am not playing because so and so is his favorite how do you know it's not true? If it's a bad fit, she isn't developing, coach is abusive, how do you know? you were too busy being uninvolved. With all of that of course there is a such thing as too much and if you have to do all the coaching then you should find another coach. Being mom and dad is way more fun
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 23/08/12, 01:24 pm

oldboot wrote:

OK - got it - pray and play together - good thoughts - now tell us more about Suzy's mom.

(+)(+) <--- Suzy's Mom
(.)(.) <--- Janie's Mom
Razz
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbolfreak 23/08/12, 01:46 pm

Well, darn it all, I'm Janie's Mom and I just figured out why she isn't getting playtime even though she's clearly the best Academy player in all of N. Texas! Sigh...on top of all the $ I already spend on soccer I now need to have some surgery but whatever it takes for my darling dd Wink (BTW: I think the Mod needs to get on here because we aren't supposed to mentioned the names of players on the forum).

futbolfreak
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next