North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Need help with how to get started with a team Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Need help with how to get started with a team

Go down

Need help with how to get started with a team Empty Need help with how to get started with a team

Post by Runner 07/02/13, 11:39 pm

My kiddo has decided she would like to play at a higher level than where she does currently. She is not affiliated with any local soccer club so she does not need a "release" from anything. I have been reading this forum and checking team/club sites trying to figure out what our next step is but could use some help. I have spoken to several friends who have sons in club soccer but have no connections or direction for my girl.

Is the only way to get her an opportunity with a team to wait until the summer open practices & tryouts?

How does the "guest player" situation work?

In anyone's opinion,would it be inappropriate to cold contact teams now knowing they are already formed until July? I ask because there's money and contracts involved. We don't have the expectation of trying to join the thing midstream. Just looking for a chance to get foot in the door or at least gauge where she might fit in.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

To answer a question that has come up...we live in north Arlington near I-30

Last edited by DW on 08/02/13, 04:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Runner
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Need help with how to get started with a team Empty Re: Need help with how to get started with a team

Post by Guest 08/02/13, 06:28 am

I think you have the right idea. The ability to get to know the coaches, guest play, and train will help you make a better decision come signing day! My suggestion would be to get on the phone contact teams of interest and get started looking for your DD best fit! Since you are not under contract use this time to your advantage to make a well thought out educated decision for DD.

Back to top Go down

Need help with how to get started with a team Empty Re: Need help with how to get started with a team

Post by Guest 08/02/13, 06:30 am

Oh yeah, this decision is a big one! Don't be shy! Get out their!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/13, 06:32 am

First of all, change the name of this thread (or start another one) and call it "02 Free-Agent Anxious to Join a Team!" That should do it. Just be sure to check your personal messages regularly. There are always teams needing players, and the coaches of such teams would be happy to check out your daughter's potentail. If she's reasonably quick, athletic, and can play under pressure, there are lots of teams that would work.

Your daughter can practice with club teams and play in scrimmages/tournaments. She doesn't have to wait until summer. Being a guest player just involves a few simple forms and she would not be locked into a team. It would not be inappropriate at all to contact teams now given her situation. You are highly unlikely to encounter any sort of financial or contractual requests at this point in the season other than possibly chipping in for tournament expenses. It would be a nice gesture, however, to offer the coach of any team she decides to stick with a little something for the training. Some would disagree with that part, but it will certainly cast you in a positive light as a parent that is interested in the team and not just kicking tires.

Back to top Go down

Post by copa44 08/02/13, 07:23 am

My son's team currently has 3 rec players guesting with us. They played on our futsal teams and last tournament and will be playing at future tournaments. They want one last season of rec (one of the dads is the rec coach) so they aren't signing now, which is fine. They attend all practices and have indicated a 90+% possibility of signing in July. Frankly if it looks like they are going to sign it's in the team's best interest to have them a practices & tournaments, gives them familiarity with the team and vice versa.

copa44
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/13, 08:00 am

copa44 wrote:My son's team currently has 3 rec players guesting with us. They played on our futsal teams and last tournament and will be playing at future tournaments. They want one last season of rec (one of the dads is the rec coach) so they aren't signing now, which is fine. They attend all practices and have indicated a 90+% possibility of signing in July. Frankly if it looks like they are going to sign it's in the team's best interest to have them a practices & tournaments, gives them familiarity with the team and vice versa.

Hold on, now. Are you suggesting these rec players could come onto a select team and actually help out? Man, don't you know that all select players have years of elite training by age 10-11 and will forever be vastly superior? Have you not begun to drink the Kool-Aid served up on here? For shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 08/02/13, 08:11 am

First step would be to hire an agent...it is select in NTX.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 08/02/13, 08:26 am

Xara wrote: and the coaches of such teams would be happy to check out your daughter's potentail.

tripped over this while reading it...
is it potential?, ponytail? or worse yet, the coaches would be happy to check out your daughter's "Potent Tail"..eek!

amazing how just switching 2 letters makes a difference. Smile
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Runner 08/02/13, 11:32 am

Thank you all for the replies. Definitely open to all suggestions.

Runner
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gambit 08/02/13, 12:12 pm

Xara wrote:
copa44 wrote:My son's team currently has 3 rec players guesting with us. They played on our futsal teams and last tournament and will be playing at future tournaments. They want one last season of rec (one of the dads is the rec coach) so they aren't signing now, which is fine. They attend all practices and have indicated a 90+% possibility of signing in July. Frankly if it looks like they are going to sign it's in the team's best interest to have them a practices & tournaments, gives them familiarity with the team and vice versa.

Hold on, now. Are you suggesting these rec players could come onto a select team and actually help out? Man, don't you know that all select players have years of elite training by age 10-11 and will forever be vastly superior? Have you not begun to drink the Kool-Aid served up on here? For shame.

I know of several players that got into competitive soccer extremely late (10-12) and were unable to compete. This just demoralized them and they ended up quitting. Maybe you should have started sooner. lol!
Gambit
Gambit
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KnKsDad 08/02/13, 12:14 pm

"Hold on, now. Are you suggesting these rec players could come onto a select team and actually help out? Man, don't you know that all select players have years of elite training by age 10-11 and will forever be vastly superior? Have you not begun to drink the Kool-Aid served up on here? For shame."[/quote]

Good stuff X. To support what you are inferring with your sarcasm, I could offer personal testimony about my 00DD who is in her first year of select coming out of probably the "weakest" rec situation, but that may be viewed as bragging and it not time for that yet and wasn't the subject of this thread, but your comment hit a nerve so had to respond..

KnKsDad
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gambit 08/02/13, 12:16 pm

KnKsDad wrote:Hold on, now. Are you suggesting these rec players could come onto a select team and actually help out? Man, don't you know that all select players have years of elite training by age 10-11 and will forever be vastly superior? Have you not begun to drink the Kool-Aid served up on here? For shame.

Good stuff X. To support what you are inferring with your sarcasm, I could offer personal testimony about my 00DD who is in her first year of select coming out of probably the "weakest" rec situation, but that may be viewed as bragging and it not time for that yet and wasn't the subject of this thread, but your comment hit a nerve so had to respond..[/quote]

"Select" is a loose term. Twisted Evil
Gambit
Gambit
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KnKsDad 08/02/13, 12:23 pm

My bad people. I just screwed up this thread with my poor use of the quote function and I don't know how to go back and fix without running risk of making it worse.. :-(

KnKsDad
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by copa44 08/02/13, 12:57 pm

Xara wrote:

LOL. After going through academy-select with our son we had every intention of letting our 04 play rec (great coach) and do skills till spring U10, but one of our favorite coaches put together an academy team so we took a cup of koolaid and signed her up. We've learned that for good players there are always spots available somewhere; unless your criteria is that your kid has to be a starter on the top team in D1 in which case good luck. If you just want your kid to have fun and improve and don't let parents egos get involved there are plenty of places to play.

copa44
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sideline fan 08/02/13, 01:51 pm

Couple of suggestions. As has been mentioned change the name of the thread. You WILL get "hits" Also might include what position your DD likes to play. I know of a couple of teams looking for a fast forward who can score--aren't they all though Laughing There are teams out there that are short a player and a new player, I believe, can be added to a select team's roster if they have room.

sideline fan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by santos.l.halper 08/02/13, 02:15 pm

sideline fan wrote:Couple of suggestions. As has been mentioned change the name of the thread. You WILL get "hits" Also might include what position your DD likes to play. I know of a couple of teams looking for a fast forward who can score--aren't they all though Laughing There are teams out there that are short a player and a new player, I believe, can be added to a select team's roster if they have room.

A couple thread titles to consider, sure to get a PM:
"Parents looking for place to send $2000 for half year of club dues"
"My DD is in rec, but she is the biggest kid in her class, a track superstar and is not afraid to foul out in basketball"
santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gambit 08/02/13, 02:17 pm

santos.l.halper wrote:
sideline fan wrote:Couple of suggestions. As has been mentioned change the name of the thread. You WILL get "hits" Also might include what position your DD likes to play. I know of a couple of teams looking for a fast forward who can score--aren't they all though Laughing There are teams out there that are short a player and a new player, I believe, can be added to a select team's roster if they have room.

A couple thread titles to consider, sure to get a PM:
"Parents looking for place to send $2000 for half year of club dues"
"My DD is in rec, but she is the biggest kid in her class, a track superstar and is not afraid to foul out in basketball"

i was able to get my DD placed by having the title..."Looking to write a blank check so my DD can ride the bench"

you should try it, worked like a charm. now i have a fat dd because of no playing time but she gets trophies and medals up the wazoo.
Gambit
Gambit
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/02/13, 02:59 pm

"Billionaire Absentee Parent Looking for Team for Brazilian-born BSF DD"
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by flygirl 08/02/13, 03:24 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:"Billionaire Absentee Parent Looking for Team for Brazilian-born BSF DD"

"Recently separated soccer Mom / model looking for an excuse to spend my slimy, despicable, soon to be ex-husbands money on soccer fees, private lessons and soccer travel excursions for my beautiful, sweet, very well behaved DD - who happens to be a super star athlete in every sport other than soccer (which her father hates)."
flygirl
flygirl
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : On the phone explaining to a 90 year old woman how to reset her wireless router - in spanish

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/02/13, 03:29 pm

flygirl wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:"Billionaire Absentee Parent Looking for Team for Brazilian-born BSF DD"

"Recently separated soccer Mom / model looking for an excuse to spend my slimy, despicable, soon to be ex-husbands money on soccer fees, private lessons and soccer travel excursions for my beautiful, sweet, very well behaved DD - who happens to be a super star athlete in every sport other than soccer (which her father hates)."
lol!
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down