North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

it's a new year - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

it's a new year

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

it's a new year - Page 2 Empty Re: it's a new year

Post by whoshotjr 03/07/13, 10:55 am

legitsoccermom wrote:
Referee wrote:   Games are, have been and always will be WON by defense.  Proven time and again.  
 You can't win without defense.  You can have your so called stud from FC, which, by the way didn't show anything when we play them, mainly because our defense shut her down completely.  
 Defense wins.  It is not a glamorous job.  No one cares.  No one gets any accolades.  Dirty job and all, but can't win without it.    Defense is an art.  Something most people out here don't understand because they only want to see that flashy scorer.    You can win 1-0 with great defense and a so so offense.  Or you can have your prima dona studs and lose 10-9.  OK?
 Defense wins!
 If you don't believe me......watch the turn over from each team every year.  The defense pretty much stays the same.  The front is always changing and people come and go.  But when you find a solid defender, the coach, and I mean one who knows about soccer,always makes an effort to keep her around.  

So very well said.. the defender beast ALWAYS gets over looked...unless she  shuts down that superstar forward..
or gives up a big goal

whoshotjr
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by whoshotjr 03/07/13, 10:58 am

sideline wrote:
legitsoccermom wrote:
Referee wrote:   Games are, have been and always will be WON by defense.  Proven time and again.  
 You can't win without defense.  You can have your so called stud from FC, which, by the way didn't show anything when we play them, mainly because our defense shut her down completely.  
 Defense wins.  It is not a glamorous job.  No one cares.  No one gets any accolades.  Dirty job and all, but can't win without it.    Defense is an art.  Something most people out here don't understand because they only want to see that flashy scorer.    You can win 1-0 with great defense and a so so offense.  Or you can have your prima dona studs and lose 10-9.  OK?
 Defense wins!
 If you don't believe me......watch the turn over from each team every year.  The defense pretty much stays the same.  The front is always changing and people come and go.  But when you find a solid defender, the coach, and I mean one who knows about soccer,always makes an effort to keep her around.  

So very well said.. the defender beast ALWAYS gets over looked...unless she  shuts down that superstar forward..

Finally someone talking sense...the defense often overlooked...just look at the Higg/grubb state cup final...no "powerhouse, super stud, best player in '02" scored in that game. Both defenses played amazing against tough offenses.
Uh hate to tell you man but- yes she did - what game were you watching? She took defense by surprise - out ran them with ball at her feet and put ball in corner of net- have it on tape if you'd like to watch. A teammate ran up and maybe touched it before it crossed line but the play and goal was attributed to her.. I'm not knocking either defense they both played great but she did score

whoshotjr
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad123 03/07/13, 02:45 pm

Since everyone's talking defense let's see  who all is paying attention. Who has or who are the best defenders in all of D1 from last year? Who has the best goalie? And please, please don't everyone rush to say FCDP, Higgy, or Texans South. These teams are great but these defenses and goalies don't get tested often so I don't see how anyone could argue their case. These goalies might see or touch the ball a total of 2 or 3 times a game and sometimes none at all. Now that ain't their fault and I do understand that, and in no way am I saying that they aren't good or great all I'm saying is there is a lot of great defenders throughout the league other than on the top 3 teams that have actually been tested week in and week out. I wanna hear about the goalies that kept their respective teams in the game, the goalies that made incredible save after incredible save. The ones that got shot on 10, to 12 times and only gave up 1. That  is much more impressive than 10 shutouts in a row.  Anyone can have a shutout when you've only been shot on once.
I wanna hear about the defenders that were under pressure all game and still stepped up and shut down the opposition, or fustated the so called top players in the league. To me those are the players that are being developed. They are getting touches getting put to the test and not just standing around hoping that they just might get some action. Just my point of view!!!

soccerdad123
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mcik17 03/07/13, 03:09 pm

soccerdad123 wrote:Since everyone's talking defense let's see  who all is paying attention. Who has or who are the best defenders in all of D1 from last year? Who has the best goalie? And please, please don't everyone rush to say FCDP, Higgy, or Texans South. These teams are great but these defenses and goalies don't get tested often so I don't see how anyone could argue their case. These goalies might see or touch the ball a total of 2 or 3 times a game and sometimes none at all. Now that ain't their fault and I do understand that, and in no way am I saying that they aren't good or great all I'm saying is there is a lot of great defenders throughout the league other than on the top 3 teams that have actually been tested week in and week out. I wanna hear about the goalies that kept their respective teams in the game, the goalies that made incredible save after incredible save. The ones that got shot on 10, to 12 times and only gave up 1. That  is much more impressive than 10 shutouts in a row.  Anyone can have a shutout when you've only been shot on once.
I wanna hear about the defenders that were under pressure all game and still stepped up and shut down the opposition, or fustated the so called top players in the league. To me those are the players that are being developed. They are getting touches getting put to the test and not just standing around hoping that they just might get some action. Just my point of view!!!

I assume you are talking about when those defences and GK are only playing against 02 teams and havent actually seen these teams(Grubb and Higg) playing against 01s in tournies which these two teams tend to do most often. Have you checked the results of those games when they play top 01 teams? Just results against 02s isnt the whole story.....just saying!
mcik17
mcik17
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 03/07/13, 03:32 pm

mcik17 wrote:
soccerdad123 wrote:Since everyone's talking defense let's see  who all is paying attention. Who has or who are the best defenders in all of D1 from last year? Who has the best goalie? And please, please don't everyone rush to say FCDP, Higgy, or Texans South. These teams are great but these defenses and goalies don't get tested often so I don't see how anyone could argue their case. These goalies might see or touch the ball a total of 2 or 3 times a game and sometimes none at all. Now that ain't their fault and I do understand that, and in no way am I saying that they aren't good or great all I'm saying is there is a lot of great defenders throughout the league other than on the top 3 teams that have actually been tested week in and week out. I wanna hear about the goalies that kept their respective teams in the game, the goalies that made incredible save after incredible save. The ones that got shot on 10, to 12 times and only gave up 1. That  is much more impressive than 10 shutouts in a row.  Anyone can have a shutout when you've only been shot on once.

I assume you are talking about when those defences and GK are only playing against 02 teams and havent actually seen these teams(Grubb and Higg) playing against 01s in tournies which these two teams tend to do most often. Have you checked the results of those games when they play top 01 teams? Just results against 02s isnt the whole story.....just saying!

No doubt. I would argue to the contrary that the best Defenders are on the top teams as the top teams attract the best players, period... The defenders on those top 3 teams go up against the best offensive players in the league every week in practice and scrimmages. They may not get challenged as much in games, but when they do, it normally works out in their favor. That is why their team are the best. If the defenders on the lower ranked teams were better, they would not give up so many goals and their teams would then be ranked in the top 3.

Just my 2cents. You have to look at the top teams in all positions for the best players.

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad123 03/07/13, 05:20 pm

mcik17 wrote:

True,true, sorry I didn't think about that. But it is a lot of it. Don't get me wrong not trying to discredit anything this three teams have accomplished. These defences and goalies are great no doubt!! But what I'm talking about is individual players being consistently challenged week in week out, not just in tournaments. And one thing I've learned in all the years of sideline coaching is that this is a very crucial time in their development and consistency is everything!!! By the time ECNL comes around the ones that did their homework will move on. I've seen it year in year out.

Last edited by soccerdad123 on 03/07/13, 09:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

soccerdad123
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Depaucas 03/07/13, 05:56 pm

Wrong Forum!! Basketball wins games with defense not soccer. Soccer is won by goals scored on a game, it does not matter what the score is. Goals are usually score by forwards and mids, FCD has the best over all team. I know it hurts a lot of us to say that but it's true. They have the best player in the 02's and the rest of that team is close to being the same. Glad referee you were able to stop her, it won't happen many times. Coaches defend her with 2 or 3 players at all times. I know our coach does that, so if your dd stopped her it must of been with the rest of your defenders. FCD stud will handle any 1v1 play. Just enjoy her game and be proud to have a North Texas super player. Hope to see your team play FCD soon!!

Depaucas
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 02soccerdad 03/07/13, 08:23 pm

Referee. It's not called stopping someone when you put 2 or 3 girls on them and leave other forwards and mids open that end up scoring 2 goals on you.
Also you can't win with defense. 0-0 is not a win. I'm not taking anything away from defenders. Soccer is a team sport, as soon as you learn that, the better off you will be. Mids, Forwards, Defenders, and Goalies are Equally Important. Our star players rely on their team to get them the ball and keep the other team from scoring. You can have the best forward in the world, if your team can't work the ball up to them, they are worthless.  And with only 3 goals against all year, I say our defense and goalie ROCKS. A little better than 19 GA wouldn't you say.
1 more point. Either one of those girls could play defender on ANY Team in D1. Watch what you say, they may take your dd position.
02soccerdad
02soccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 03/07/13, 10:09 pm

I'm watching what am saying!
Bring her over to try to take her position.
I played it my whole life.  What do you mean as soon as you learn?
If we go by your rationale, then when the score ends in a 0-0, does that mean your forward failed? Or does it mean that the defender played great?  Either way the forward won't be yelled at if she doesn't score.  But if the defender allows a goal or two, then there's hell to pay.
 All am asking is for all to understand and consider the dirty hard work the defenders have to do that goes unrewarded.  My dd is a third generation defender.  I did it and my dad played semi professional.   We take it very serious and its just downright ignorant when people simply assume that the defense is not really that important.
 There's a lot more to it than just kick the ball out.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by legitsoccermom 04/07/13, 04:11 am

So let me ask this, as a parent wouldn't you want your DD to learn all positions and be able to play both in the front and in the back? oh and be really good at both ? I know mine can play both and sure watching her kick a goal is fantastic, but watching her bang it out in the back  , is  priceless.When we played the top teams and she went up against those "superstars forwards" it was a rush. Sure we lost the game but man her inner BEAST mode came out. Anyways good luck to all those superstars near and far and heck even the bench warmers no one cares to shot out....It will be interesting this year..
legitsoccermom
legitsoccermom
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 04/07/13, 08:32 am

For right now, yes.  But like any sport she will have to ace one position as they get older.  You don't see pitchers fielding or fielders pitching, or quarterbacks kicking field goals.  So why not start at an early age?  She was asked to play up front in academy because of her speed.  I just felt that since we live and breathe defense that it would be better to stay there.  Ultimately she decided on her own and the coach didn't mind.  
 My whole idea is for her to ace the defense first, then as she gets older, we'll start working on her ability to dribble and every once in a while try to take it all the way.    That takes a very rare special talent because she'd have to dribble from end to end and then run back to take her place on back.  
 Man, that requires a lot of stamina and to be in tip top shape.  I've yet to see one in this league.
 Right now we're running 4 miles Monday, Wed and Friday.  6-8 miles on Sunday.  As the season gets closer  we'll do up hill sprints to develop more speed.   Then 2 weeks before season begins we'll sharpen up with downhill sprints.  
 Anybody interested in this type of conditioning , pm me.   Free of charge , tough but effective.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by goldenshoe 04/07/13, 11:04 am

Referee wrote:For right now, yes.  But like any sport she will have to ace one position as they get older.  You don't see pitchers fielding or fielders pitching, or quarterbacks kicking field goals.  So why not start at an early age?  She was asked to play up front in academy because of her speed.  I just felt that since we live and breathe defense that it would be better to stay there.  Ultimately she decided on her own and the coach didn't mind.  
 My whole idea is for her to ace the defense first, then as she gets older, we'll start working on her ability to dribble and every once in a while try to take it all the way.    That takes a very rare special talent because she'd have to dribble from end to end and then run back to take her place on back.  
 Man, that requires a lot of stamina and to be in tip top shape.  I've yet to see one in this league.
 Right now we're running 4 miles Monday, Wed and Friday.  6-8 miles on Sunday.  As the season gets closer  we'll do up hill sprints to develop more speed.   Then 2 weeks before season begins we'll sharpen up with downhill sprints.  
 Anybody interested in this type of conditioning , pm me.   Free of charge , tough but effective.

Wow! Talk about the dedication and hard work...you must be super proud of your DD. Hard work often overrides talent.

goldenshoe
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 04/07/13, 11:08 am

There is a '99 running superstar in our neighborhood, both with parents that are Ironman triathletes, that doesn't do that amount of conditioning. I'll bet your 02 loves that amount of conditioning just to play soccer.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 04/07/13, 02:56 pm

It depends. But I do agree that hard work is key to success. There's a difference between jogging and running. 7.30 per mile is running. Slower than that gets less benefit. Lots of distance in the off season is important for conditioning. That stops once season starts. During the fall she ran a 5k in 21.30. Not super fast, but decent. I timed her a 6.14 mile on the track. Again, not great great but we're working on it and have a goal to go under 6 by the fall.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 04/07/13, 03:59 pm

Great job on the running! A 6:14 mile for only a 5th grader is a strong time (of course it depends on physical maturity). In Plano, running under 6:05 got you 3rd or 4th place in the 8th grade championships back in April (although it was 88+ degrees and 15 mph winds, which slowed times at least 16 to 20 seconds compared to optimal conditions of 60 degrees or less and light winds). The 7th graders had some even stronger performances, but that's not unusual for girls.

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 04/07/13, 04:43 pm

Referee wrote:For right now, yes.  But like any sport she will have to ace one position as they get older.  You don't see pitchers fielding or fielders pitching, or quarterbacks kicking field goals.  So why not start at an early age?  She was asked to play up front in academy because of her speed.  I just felt that since we live and breathe defense that it would be better to stay there.  Ultimately she decided on her own and the coach didn't mind.  

When does she get to be a kid?  I will be shocked if she is still that "dedicated" to soccer in 2 years.
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 04/07/13, 10:08 pm

I do all the workouts with her.  I set an example and don't sit on my big ass on the sidelines barking orders.   
If we as parents could do a little more on our own as far as conditioning our kid in the off season, then perhaps it'd make it easier for the coach to do his job.
Maybe we wouldn't complain so much about having a bad coach. I condition her to the best of my ability, turn her over to the coach and things work just fine.
Encourage don't discourage
Athletes are everywhere. All you have to do is train them right.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 05/07/13, 10:38 am

Ok........Question
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guess Who 05/07/13, 01:35 pm

Defense wins!
Your so called Great defense might of slowed her down, but the score still was 2-0. FCD has more scoring threats then just her. You shut her down or (try too) and she will still finds ways to hurt the defence. One Great defender will not stop a whole team that can score from anywhere. But good luck on the up coming season, looking forward to playing yall again twice.

Last edited by Guess Who on 06/07/13, 06:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Guess Who
Guess Who
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 05/07/13, 05:48 pm

Very true. But looking at the other results with other teams that FC played, they held their own. Same against the Texans. 1-0. Since our offense is mediocre at best then I don't think they could do more. With the ball on the defensive side the whole time, of course goals will be going in at some point. We'd beat sucky teams 1-0, 2-0. Then we'd lose to top teams 1-0, 2-0. That means that our offense needs to do more.  FC has a great, great defense that always gets overlooked.  My gush, less than 10 goals allowed is a heck of a backside. One player does not make the whole team.  Offense or defense.  Agreed?

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 05/07/13, 06:03 pm

Should be good Guess who when they play again. We picked up the big goalie from Andromeda. She's darn good and will make our defense better.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Urajoke 05/07/13, 09:17 pm

Referee wrote:  Should be good Guess who when they play again.  We picked up the big goalie from Andromeda.  She's darn good and will make our defense better.

Finally! Several of you learned how to spell defense!!!! SMH at "defence".  Even my auto correct tried to correct the wrong spelling 3 times.

Referee do you run all those miles with your dd before or after you walk on water?

Urajoke
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gideon's pawnshop 05/07/13, 11:34 pm

Rumor has it Dallas Rush/Dynamo picked up a solid starter from Grubb...

Gideon's pawnshop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Referee 06/07/13, 09:10 am

Urajoke  

If you only knew.

Let's just say that I know a thing or two about long distance running and conditioning.

You are a joke   is the correct spelling.

Referee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Urajoke 06/07/13, 10:22 am

Referee wrote:Urajoke  

If you only knew.

Let's just say that I know a thing or two about long distance running and conditioning.

You are a joke   is the correct spelling.

Actually, it would be you're a joke. You're a = ura

Enjoy your run today, Forrest!

Urajoke
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Barca 06/07/13, 10:29 am

it's a new year - Page 2 16800-Clipart-Picture-Of-A-Chocolate-Candy-Bar-Mascot-Cartoon-Character-Running
Barca
Barca
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next