North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

long ball - may not be pretty but it works! Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

long ball - may not be pretty but it works!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

long ball - may not be pretty but it works! Empty long ball - may not be pretty but it works!

Post by golgolgol 19/09/13, 08:45 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2013/sep/18/seven-man-kick-off-red-bull-leipzig-video

affraid 
golgolgol
golgolgol
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

long ball - may not be pretty but it works! Empty Re: long ball - may not be pretty but it works!

Post by Guest 19/09/13, 08:52 am

My question is who is going to sue the German's for pirating that video of a U11 Lake Highlands QT game from this past July and publishing it as their own???

Back to top Go down

long ball - may not be pretty but it works! Empty Re: long ball - may not be pretty but it works!

Post by tpitty 19/09/13, 09:04 am

bwgophers wrote:My question is who is going to sue the German's for pirating that video of a U11 Lake Highlands QT game from this past July and publishing it as their own???
I see what you did there.....nicely done sir.

tpitty
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/09/13, 09:18 am

tpitty wrote:
bwgophers wrote:My question is who is going to sue the German's for pirating that video of a U11 Lake Highlands QT game from this past July and publishing it as their own???
I see what you did there.....nicely done sir.
I will have to say that they did a really nice job with the CGI to add in the stadium and crowd, change the uniform colors and insignias, delete out most of the ponytails, ...and most impressive, how they ever got field #6 at UTD to look THAT good on screen...

Back to top Go down

Post by good4nuthin 19/09/13, 09:58 am

I have a U-6 boy who can kick it long. Heck, he scored one off the kick off last week, but the stupid ref called it back.

I'm going to try it again this weekend, maybe I can get another boy to touch it before it goes in, I have one that is pretty fast and the louder I yell, the faster he runs. We can beat 10 seconds for sure.

Possession is just dumb when you have at least one big leg and one fast kid. I am glad others on this board finally see the light. Twisted Evil
good4nuthin
good4nuthin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 19/09/13, 10:31 am

good4nuthin wrote:I have a U-6 boy who can kick it long. Heck, he scored one off the kick off last week, but the stupid ref called it back.

I'm going to try it again this weekend, maybe I can get another boy to touch it before it goes in, I have one that is pretty fast and the louder I yell, the faster he runs. We can beat 10 seconds for sure.

Possession is just dumb when you have at least one big leg and one fast kid. I am glad others on this board finally see the light. Twisted Evil
Haha you can score straight from a kick off, the trouble is the association you play for makes up their own rules!
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by good4nuthin 19/09/13, 10:34 am

Triumph FC wrote:
good4nuthin wrote:I have a U-6 boy who can kick it long. Heck, he scored one off the kick off last week, but the stupid ref called it back.

Haha you can score straight from a kick off, the trouble is the association you play for makes up their own rules!
Maybe you should take back over and right that ship! Very Happy 
good4nuthin
good4nuthin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 19/09/13, 10:36 am

good4nuthin wrote:
Triumph FC wrote:

When have you ever heard of anyone wanting to go back to an asylum
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by good4nuthin 19/09/13, 11:31 am

Triumph FC wrote:
good4nuthin wrote:
Triumph FC wrote:

When have you ever heard of anyone wanting to go back to an asylum
cheers

At least they are not pushing 7v7 at U-6. That is looney.
good4nuthin
good4nuthin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NTXSjunkie 24/09/13, 08:52 am

Thank God this was a sarcastic thread... I was about to lose all faith in humanity.

NTXSjunkie
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 24/09/13, 02:49 pm

golgolgol wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2013/sep/18/seven-man-kick-off-red-bull-leipzig-video

affraid 
So what is not pretty about that?  A perfectly executed long ball is still the most exciting event in the sport.  Listen to the crowd - they seemed to like it.

But you are right - it definitely works.  Which is why every great team on the planet has that arrow in their quiver.

You people who act like the long ball is the anti-christ probably find walk-off grand slam homeruns distasteful too.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby427 24/09/13, 02:56 pm

Lawnboy wrote:
golgolgol wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2013/sep/18/seven-man-kick-off-red-bull-leipzig-video

affraid 
So what is not pretty about that?  A perfectly executed long ball is still the most exciting event in the sport.  Listen to the crowd - they seemed to like it.

But you are right - it definitely works.  Which is why every great team on the planet has that arrow in their quiver.

You people who act like the long ball is the anti-christ probably find walk-off grand slam homeruns distasteful too.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Not even sure this qualifies as "long ball" as there were two one touch short passes before the score...

I can see why people don't like "kick ball" soccer but again, a good long ball requires skill to execute and is different than "boot the ball to fast forward who wins one on one".

Shelby427
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 24/09/13, 05:15 pm

there is nothing wrong with long ball as a tactic to win in adult soccer. It is the worst thing possible for youth soccer. If you teach a kid to play they can always kickball it later. Teach a kid kickball and he will be useless as a player later
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 24/09/13, 05:34 pm

I thought it was a great idea for a set play - really not much different than a corner kick or free kick from distance. The execution was terrific. Totally threw off the other team's defense.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby427 24/09/13, 06:27 pm

JustaSport wrote:I thought it was a great idea for a set play - really not much different than a corner kick or free kick from distance.  The execution was terrific.  Totally threw off the other team's defense.
Agreed... nothing wrong with long ball at times and in proper use.

Agree also that not good to teach as lone tactic. It is much more effective when not expected and mixed into an overall possession game.

Shelby427
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmon_Man 24/09/13, 11:38 pm

Shelby427 wrote:
JustaSport wrote:I thought it was a great idea for a set play - really not much different than a corner kick or free kick from distance.  The execution was terrific.  Totally threw off the other team's defense.

Agree also that not good to teach as lone tactic. It is much more effective when not expected and mixed into an overall possession game.
Agreed the problem is I see a lot of teams that like to mix in a little possession into a overall kick ball game
Cmon_Man
Cmon_Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy 24/09/13, 11:49 pm

Cmon_Man wrote:
Shelby427 wrote:

Agreed the problem is I see a lot of teams that like to mix in a little possession into a overall kick ball game
In my experience my DD has been on a team that I guess may play more kick ball than anything from the back line, but mids and forwards play possession once receiving the clearance from their defense. It’s maybe 70% of the balls into the back field that are booted back up to the mids, but is this what most people consider kick ball? I have never played soccer, but even the few pro games that I have seen, they pass around the back 5-6 times then boot it 40 yards up the field a good number of times each game.

Anarchy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/09/13, 12:04 am

Anarchy wrote:
Cmon_Man wrote:
Shelby427 wrote:

In my experience my DD has been on a team that I guess may play more kick ball than anything from the back line, but mids and forwards play possession once receiving the clearance from their defense. It’s maybe 70% of the balls into the back field that are booted back up to the mids, but is this what most people consider kick ball? I have never played soccer, but even the few pro games that I have seen, they pass around the back 5-6 times then boot it 40 yards up the field a good number of times each game.
Now just imagine if your dd was one of those girls who just boot it from the back. Imagine what her skill set would be. Infact imagine the mids who learn to no open up or show for space and recieve a pass and turn but learn to fight to win balls out of the air. Now you start to see how they develop into sub par players.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmon_Man 25/09/13, 12:10 am

Anarchy wrote:
Cmon_Man wrote:
Shelby427 wrote:

My 2 cents- I don't think anyone would say that if you don't possess in the style of Barcelona you are a kick ball team. There are different styles of play in pro soccer, just as there are many styles of offense in football. However, on most all pro teams they are not just kicking it down the field hoping a player runs on it. These players are highly skilled and most of the time their passes down the field are targeted at a single player in a precise locations making a run (ie they are not just kicking the ball down the field). I think one quick and easy way to determine if you are a kick ball team is to determine if your team could play a possession style of play if they wanted to....kick ball teams can't do it- they would struggle to connect even a few passes. Often you can predict if a team is a kick ball team in their warm ups alone.
Cmon_Man
Cmon_Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 25/09/13, 12:15 am

ok wait are we talking about pro or youth soccer? In pro soccer the style that is best is the one that wins you the game. it is a zero sum game and nothing else matters but wins. Win pretty with style, win ugly, Kickball it all game, get stuck in and beat the other team up, hell park the bus if you need too just win. For kids it's a whole different thing
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy 25/09/13, 12:27 am

go99 wrote:ok wait are we talking about pro or youth soccer?  In pro soccer the style that is best is the one that wins you the game.  it is a zero sum game and nothing else matters but wins.  Win pretty with style, win ugly,  Kickball it all game, get stuck in and beat the other team up,  hell park the bus if you need too just win.  For kids it's a whole different thing

I mentioned both probably as a bad comparison, but again somebody lacking the experience and not as invloved as the Mrs. due to work schedule. I would never be able to tell a kick ball team from their warm up... what do they do? practice kicking it as far as they can before the game? They never lost many games so I guess the only kids it would hurt would be the defense.

Anarchy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmon_Man 25/09/13, 12:31 am

go99 wrote:ok wait are we talking about pro or youth soccer?  In pro soccer the style that is best is the one that wins you the game.  it is a zero sum game and nothing else matters but wins.  Win pretty with style, win ugly,  Kickball it all game, get stuck in and beat the other team up,  hell park the bus if you need too just win.  For kids it's a whole different thing
Agreed Anarchy kind of mixed the together so I was basically trying to explain that the pros can play possession style - even if the strategy/ team dictates a more dump and run approach vs. what I call a kick ball team which do not have the skill/experience to play possession style soccer. That is why for me I have placed my dd with a coach that demands possession style, but my favorite pro teams tend to play more direct with big crosses and "run and shoot" style- but I would not have my daughter in a system like that for youth development
Cmon_Man
Cmon_Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 28/09/13, 08:39 am

Absolutely.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 28/09/13, 08:56 am

Cmon_Man wrote:
Agreed Anarchy kind of mixed the together so I was basically trying to explain that the pros can play possession style - even if the strategy/ team dictates a more dump and run approach vs. what I call a kick ball team which do not have the skill/experience to play possession style soccer.  That is why for me I have placed my dd with a coach that demands possession style, but my favorite pro teams tend to play more direct with big crosses and "run and shoot" style- but I would not have my daughter in a system like that for youth development
So just curious... at what age does it become appropriate for a kid to try to connect a deep pass. Like all skills, if it is not attempted from time to time, it will never develop. There is nothing wrong with trying to play a direct, long ball if that is what the situation calls for. Like all sports, the better teams know when to apply what tactic.

And I love the obligatory references to Barca whenever someone is championing "possession" style over direct play. The reality is (and I've posted numerous clips on here over the past few years showing it) Barca is fantastic at quick deep booming counters and long, slanted through-balls. They're even very excellent with the over-the-top "dump-and-run" to Messi. All the types of play that people get on here and slam are exactly the tactics Barca uses to put away a game. Possession does one thing - it burns clock and keeps your opponent from scoring. Which is great and should be utilized to your advantage. But at some point, if you want to win the game, you have to put the ball in the net. And if you're playing against any kind of competent defense at all, that usually means you are going to have to attack with some kind of speed into space - which usually involves a pass to someone further up the field.

All good teams are balanced in this respect and can play whatever style the situation calls for. And kids don't have to be 17 to start learning this.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 28/09/13, 09:28 am

Lawnboy wrote:
Cmon_Man wrote:
Agreed Anarchy kind of mixed the together so I was basically trying to explain that the pros can play possession style - even if the strategy/ team dictates a more dump and run approach vs. what I call a kick ball team which do not have the skill/experience to play possession style soccer.  That is why for me I have placed my dd with a coach that demands possession style, but my favorite pro teams tend to play more direct with big crosses and "run and shoot" style- but I would not have my daughter in a system like that for youth development
So just curious... at what age does it become appropriate for a kid to try to connect a deep pass.  Like all skills, if it is not attempted from time to time, it will never develop.  There is nothing wrong with trying to play a direct, long ball if that is what the situation calls for.  Like all sports, the better teams know when to apply what tactic.

And I love the obligatory references to Barca whenever someone is championing "possession" style over direct play.  The reality is (and I've posted numerous clips on here over the past few years showing it) Barca is fantastic at quick deep booming counters and long, slanted through-balls.  They're even very excellent with the over-the-top "dump-and-run" to Messi.  All the types of play that people get on here and slam are exactly the tactics Barca uses to put away a game.  Possession does one thing - it burns clock and keeps your opponent from scoring.  Which is great and should be utilized to your advantage.  But at some point, if you want to win the game, you have to put the ball in the net.  And if you're playing against any kind of competent defense at all, that usually means you are going to have to attack with some kind of speed into space - which usually involves a pass to someone further up the field.

All good teams are balanced in this respect and can play whatever style the situation calls for.  And kids don't have to be 17 to start learning this.
I agree with Lawnboy here, learning the game is also knowing when to make those attacking passes (whether they are 40 yards or 10 yards). If the coach is screaming "kick it!" every time there is even remote pressure, you have a kickball coach. If the coach is teaching them to relieve pressure with support (backwards and forwards), and demands that the longer passes forward are either to feet or into a winnable space for the forward, you are in a more possession style. Best way to tell...watch your team against a team that is equal or greater than you and see how coach reacts. You should see some short passes to create lanes for longer passes).
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next