North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Last call Solar 09/10 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:48 amsocroc
Last call Solar 09 Rockwall22/07/24, 10:15 amsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 08:15 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 06:35 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)15/07/24, 05:18 pmsocroc
Solar 09 NPL NTX (Rockwall)26/06/24, 10:29 amsocroc
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts (Final 1-2 spots)26/06/24, 10:20 amDallas Texans East
2008G Dallas Texans Tryouts 26/06/24, 09:52 amDallas Texans East
Solar 07 Spear DII Classic League 25/06/24, 01:42 pmsocroc
Solar 06B RL and DI Classic 25/06/24, 01:34 pmsocroc
RSC 11' GCL w/Coach Adam23/06/24, 01:15 pmacst
Oh Yeah! movin' on UP 09's23/06/24, 09:58 amacst
Open Practice 20/06/24, 10:00 amCoach Jim
BvB '06 Gold D-1 Coach Chris Obara formerly with Ayses 17/06/24, 11:18 amBiroBiro
Renegades 2016G and 2017G North Blanton16/06/24, 06:30 pmtareyncarol
FCP Dynamos 2010B - Looking For Players16/06/24, 05:02 pmfcpcoach
Solar 2014B Williams - White - Needing 2 more players09/06/24, 02:39 pmMarvelousmar
RSC ELITE CAC09/06/24, 12:10 pmacst
RSC 08Clark02/06/24, 05:43 pmacst
Sting 2011 Boys ECNL RL NTX02/06/24, 06:17 amJumpman
NTX Celtic 2011B ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 11:04 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:49 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06/07G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:43 pmFSFFL
NTX Celtic 06G ECNL-RL-NTX Opportunity01/06/24, 10:36 pmFSFFL
BVB 09B29/05/24, 06:21 pmBdavis

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng Pixel
Statistics
We have 15806 registered users
The newest registered user is Karly

Our users have posted a total of 205238 messages in 32016 subjects

Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng

Go down

Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng Empty Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng

Post by Distributor 05/12/16, 02:23 pm

Looking for speed/agility training and found out that Michael Johnson has a facility in McKinney. (Michael Johnson Performance)

Anyone's kiddos attend the camps or do any training with them?

If not, any other recommendations/options used for speed/agility would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Distributor
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng Empty Re: Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng

Post by AtThePitch 05/12/16, 03:04 pm

Highly recommend MJP. My 06 attended all summer. It made an impact on her positively. Will be doing another stint there.
AtThePitch
AtThePitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng Empty Re: Any experience with Michael Johnson Performance Trng

Post by showfor 05/12/16, 03:18 pm

My daughter loves MJP. Been working out there on and off for 3+ years. It is a great, professional, focused environment. They meet each child where they are and help them improve speed, agility, balance, overall athleticism. The challenge for us is always finding time to train between soccer training and high school life Smile Highly recommend.

showfor
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/12/16, 03:57 pm

Have had 2 DD's train at MJP for different sports (softball and soccer).  IMO, MJP is a cut above the vast majority of other training centers/programs in DFW.  It ain't cheap, but you are paying for, and receiving, quality.

One other thing... the original reason we ended up at MJP with our oldest was due to injury sustained from another strength/conditioning program that is promoted by her HS athletic department. The attention to technique, detail, and thus, injury prevention is FAR superior at MJP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 06/12/16, 08:47 am

Speed/agility can't be taught/learned, but skill/technique can.

Point being, with limited time available to train it always seemed to me that time spent on endurance training instead of skill was short-sighted...to each their own.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain 06/12/16, 08:51 am

Gunners wrote:Speed/agility can't be taught/learned, but skill/technique can.

Point being, with limited time available to train it always seemed to me that time spent on endurance training instead of skill was short-sighted...to each their own.

cheers x 100
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06/12/16, 09:17 am

Are you referring to all agegroups or just the young ones?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvelousmar 06/12/16, 09:29 am

There is a statement that says you can't teach speed. I probably beg to differ. If not why do you have track teams and track coaches? Why do records continue to get broken. With proper technique and training folks can get quicker. The issue is with the limited time what is the most important use of the time. It all depends on your goals and what seems to be needed for you to achieve those goals. Speed without technique doesn't make the player. Unless the goal is to just hoof the ball up and make it a track meet all day. But even that isn't guaranteed. Balance is important but balance is important in all aspects of life not just soccer.
Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 06/12/16, 09:34 am

You're missing the point.  The relative gains in speed/agility are (AT BEST) VERY marginal. The relative gains in skill/technique are not.

There's a reason there is a saying "You can't teach speed", because you can't.

Having said that, you're entitled to your opinion.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 06/12/16, 11:09 am

I've had both my DD's train there.....MJP is excellent training.

Soccer was NOT my emphasis when choosing MJP.....it was to reduce the "Learning curve" on how to do "generic athletic" things properly.

Depends on what your after.  At the time all I had was 2 "Under 10" year olds.  They only offered certain packages to this age group......mainly a package called "Learn to Train".  This was learning proper form of running, arm movement, starting position, etc.  It also helps develop and teaching of Ladder work, cone work, stopping and starting...etc....

The speed/Agility camps are also great.......it provides excellent instruction as to improve your speed and agility through all of the various activities.

Its true, SPEED cannot be taught...but it can be enhanced and tweaked for improvement....and that is what MJP offered for us.

But like its been said before....."Limited Time"....not enough time to do it all.....but if i had to do it all over again....I would put my kids in that program first (or in addition too).....Its makes them a better all around athlete for what ever sport comes there way.
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvelousmar 06/12/16, 06:07 pm

Gunner agree with you so I don't know if I missed the point.

When you are dealing with fractions of moments those minimal gains can be the difference. However for soccer players spend the time first on technique and learning the game. If time permits adding technical training around running, stretching, injury prevention and the mind of the athlete (which is really under rated) is important to add to get that bit more if you want that bit more. There is a reason why so many folks go there to prepare for the next level of whatever sport they participate in. They all can't be wrong......
Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Distributor 07/12/16, 10:01 am

Thank you all for your perspectives.
Our goal is similar to what SocDad posted. My kids play multiple sports, and speed/agility and proper techniques is important in each one to help them be more rounded athletes.

Thanks again.

Distributor
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 07/12/16, 10:45 am

ItsMeAgain wrote:

cheers x 100

Would tend to agree, but the way soccer is taught and played for the most part in NTX, strength and endurance are the key.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/12/16, 11:57 am

I don't think you can undersell the benefits that proper technique, along with the proper type/combination of strength and conditioning exercises, can have with regards to injury prevention, especially with girls, and especially with soccer players, as it relates to knee injuries.

Again, IMO, this is an area where MJP is a cut above the majority of the programs in DFW.  D1 Sports Training (Walnut Hill Rd. next to where the old D&B's used to be) is another facility that is very good.

If you are going to spend the time and money on speed and agility, make sure the program has strength and conditioning components as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teufel Hunden 07/12/16, 01:04 pm

One of the pieces that is mostly missed when participating in any sport and more so when wanting to reach higher levels within your preferred sport is overall sports performance training (speed, agility, strength, plyometric training etc.). As earlier posters indicated, it cannot be undersold the fact that when the player is better prepared physically by the means of performance training, the player will train / practice and play their preferred sport better.

In regards to soccer, when better prepared athletically ( I mean enhancing the individual player's God's given attributes with performance training), the player will be in better position to perform in practice (skills, drills, etc.) and it is important to mention the reduction of major injuries such as an ACL.

IMO, performance training shall be carried out in conjunction with your regular sport (soccer) training since in most soccer programs, there is little emphasis in the overall athletic training of the players. Please do not confuse formal performance training with some speed and agility work that your club / coach may run time to time, it is not the same.

If your player's desire is to participate at the highest level, performance training should be included in the weekly training schedule. The time and money is well spent when taking into consideration injury prevention (reduce doctor / emergency room visits) and seeing your player improve on the field by the mere fact that she is better prepared physically.

Like anything else, nothing happens overnight. The key to success is being consistent and making every session, every drill, every rep count. Do not fall on the idea that it is not needed because the star of the team does great without any additional training....well, that is now, your player will be better prepared for later which is when it counts.
Teufel Hunden
Teufel Hunden
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down