North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Go down

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally? Empty What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by PowerKick 13/08/18, 01:47 pm

I heard the new rule is - Sept 1st of Junior year in high school.

Is that still true? I remember read an article somewhere earlier this year, however still heard players committed even before high school.

Anyone help clarify this? Thanks.

PowerKick
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally? Empty Re: What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by NoSpinZone 13/08/18, 02:26 pm

PowerKick wrote:I heard the new rule is - Sept 1st of Junior year in high school.

Is that still true? I remember read an article somewhere earlier this year, however still heard players committed even before high school.

Anyone help clarify this? Thanks.

06 have an offer in hand there PK?  Must be all those years with Missing Sense.  Congrats! Rolling Eyes

NoSpinZone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally? Empty Re: What's the earliest date for a player to commit verbally?

Post by B_Town 13/08/18, 02:46 pm

I'm not an expert but the way I understand it is that a player can verbally commit to a college at any time.  Verbal commitments are non-binding until the player actually signs a National Letter of Intent.

The Sept 1 of Junior year in high school is the 'magical' date that a college coach can talk directly to a player.  Before that date, the only way a coach can communicate with a player is at showcase tournaments, college ID camps, etc.

Sources:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-verbal-commitment
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2011/12/13/ncaa-rules-contacting-college-coaches.htm

B_Town
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/08/18, 03:44 pm

B_Town wrote:I'm not an expert but the way I understand it is that a player can verbally commit to a college at any time.  Verbal commitments are non-binding until the player actually signs a National Letter of Intent.

The Sept 1 of Junior year in high school is the 'magical' date that a college coach can talk directly to a player.  Before that date, the only way a coach can communicate with a player is at showcase tournaments, college ID camps, etc.

Sources:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-verbal-commitment
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2011/12/13/ncaa-rules-contacting-college-coaches.htm

Actually, the new rules that went in place on Aug 1, 2018, significantly restrict NCAA D1 coach/player contact prior to Sept. 1 of a player's Junior year of HS, even more so than what you are saying.  No more recruiting discussions during on campus ID camps before Sept. 1 Junior Year.  No more athletic dept contact during an unofficial visit prior to Sept 1, Junior year.  These were the primary avenues through which coaches would make verbal offers to 8th-9th-10th graders.  Also, I'm pretty sure the D1 rules have always stated no off-campus recruiting contact (this would cover showcases, games, practices, off-campus ID camps) until after July 1 before Junior year.

As I understand it, prior to Sept. 1 Junior year, a player can still call a D1 coach, and if the coach answers the phone, they can talk (unless you are a softball or lacrosse player - then it is still verboten).  It's not clear to me if a D1 coach is prevented from making a verbal offer during such a call under the new rules.  However, I think it would be under very limited circumstances (i.e. your kid is a YNT stud) that a coach would even consider doing this.

So, unless your kid is a YNT stud, the answer is if they didn't already have a verbal offer before Aug 1, 2018, then they likely won't get one until some time after Sept 1 of their Junior year of HS, but I still get the feeling that there are some loopholes that would allow kids to get verbal offers sooner.

By the way, this only applies to NCAA D1 schools.  I do believe that NCAA D2 is still allowing recruiting contact during on-campus ID camps, unofficial visits, and verbal offers prior to Junior year, but it's generally rare that D2's make offers to players before their Junior year.

Back to top Go down

Post by B_Town 13/08/18, 03:48 pm

DeltaTauChi wrote:
Actually, the new rules that went in place on Aug 1, 2018, significantly restrict NCAA D1 coach/player contact prior to Sept. 1 of a player's Junior year of HS, even more so than what you are saying.  No more recruiting discussions during on campus ID camps before Sept. 1 Junior Year.  No more athletic dept contact during an unofficial visit prior to Sept 1, Junior year.  These were the primary avenues through which coaches would make verbal offers to 8th-9th-10th graders.  Also, I'm pretty sure the D1 rules have always stated no off-campus recruiting contact (this would cover showcases, games, practices, off-campus ID camps) until after July 1 before Junior year.

As I understand it, prior to Sept. 1 Junior year, a player can still call a D1 coach, and if the coach answers the phone, they can talk (unless you are a softball or lacrosse player - then it is still verboten).  It's not clear to me if a D1 coach is prevented from making a verbal offer during such a call under the new rules.  However, I think it would be under very limited circumstances (i.e. your kid is a YNT stud) that a coach would even consider doing this.

So, unless your kid is a YNT stud, the answer is if they didn't already have a verbal offer before Aug 1, 2018, then they likely won't get one until some time after Sept 1 of their Junior year of HS, but I still get the feeling that there are some loopholes that would allow kids to get verbal offers sooner.

By the way, this only applies to NCAA D1 schools.  I do believe that NCAA D2 is still allowing recruiting contact during on-campus ID camps, unofficial visits, and verbal offers prior to Junior year, but it's generally rare that D2's make offers to players before their Junior year.

Thanks for the clarification and updated information.

B_Town
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down