North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Coaching Landscape Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Coaching Landscape

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coaching Landscape Empty Coaching Landscape

Post by IAmSoccerfan 29/01/19, 10:35 am

I've been at this soccer thing for a while now as a parent. I'm curious to get peoples take on the coaching landscape. What is the ratio of good coaches to bad coaches? I realize it's all perspective. A coach can be a real jerk but be winning and his flaws are overlooked by parents and club. Same coach with a team that's not winning and his warts are for all to see and parents have major issues with said coach. I'm starting to believe that the majority of coaches are jerks and treat their kids like crap. So many times i hear coaches yell at the kids and don't give a lot of positive feedback. I'm fine with a coach getting on my kid, but give her some correction instead of just telling her she messed up. I see coaches yank kids out of a game for making a mistake, yelling at them and not giving them correction. Rare is the coach who is tough but respected by the kids. A lot of kids seem to be playing to not make mistakes instead of being confident and being creative. It's a shame. Bottom line is that winning is everything to most clubs, coaches and parents at the cost of development and hooking up with a good coach. I know the good ones are out there and this is not directed at all coaches or anyone specific. Thoughts? What have your experiences been like?

IAmSoccerfan
IAmSoccerfan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Coaching Landscape Empty Re: Coaching Landscape

Post by ArsenalTX14 29/01/19, 10:59 am

A lot of kids seem to be playing to not make mistakes instead of being confident and being creative. It's a shame. Bottom line is that winning is everything to most clubs, coaches and parents at the cost of development and hooking up with a good coach.

This is the scary part ... you have 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 year old players playing out of "fear of making a mistake" rather than playing with joy and for the fun of the game.

NTX Soccer is a "business" first ... one of the 1st things that I would want to know is whether or not (Youth Soccer) is the lions share of the Coach's income. Are they "Professional Youth Coaches" who need to win-at-all-costs to insure their residual income ... or ... are they a Coach that is looking to develop, teach the game, and make soccer enjoyable for your kid?

ArsenalTX14
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ProDallas 29/01/19, 11:32 am

I'm glad you brought this topic up, because it's important. I also see a lot of this behavior. I agree there are times coaches need to be tough. I also agree that far too often I only see coaches freaking out on little kids who have so much to learn about the game. Really good coaches, in any sport, have the ability to find the right balance between tough love, genuine teaching and positive reinforcement. They also should adapt their style to how individual kids best respond and learn. Your post and points are a good reminder for me on the perspective I want to keep in mind when making decisions about who coaches my dd.
ProDallas
ProDallas
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP Lil Peep 29/01/19, 12:30 pm

Good topic!  I've developed a HSO on these "coaches" over a looong period of time...my theory for the elusive and rare DFW good coach is simple...they love soccer and are fantastic communicators.  Its that simple.  In turn its fun for the kids, lets them create, take risks, encourages a long term appreciation for the game and winning is typically a byproduct of the positive environment.  
The dark side is far more complex...the "yeller" as I call them are typically your full time coach because they have attempted more lucrative jobs and failed OR know they would fail so they stick with what they "know"-soccer.  The Yeller is an extremely poor communicator, thus the yelling and red face from frustration because they can't communicate their point to adults much less kids.  
Take these Yellers and transplant them to your local school. How many parents go ape shtick on that teacher for their behavior in the classroom???
Going to blow some minds with this really HSO...but just like dancing or singing-an accent does not always equate to good judges or coaches...that'll get in the kitchen of some soccer moms out there...

RIP Lil Peep
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by realisticdad 29/01/19, 02:48 pm

Very good points and nice insight. I also look at how coaches communicate to the referees; I believe that is also an indicator of how she/he handles teaching moments as well. If screaming, yelling, talking down to the refs is far too common (especially after an obvious miscall) then the "tea leaves" must be telling you something of how the future will shape out.

realisticdad
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 29/01/19, 03:55 pm

I've found competent coaching tends to be lacking in Ntx. On the bright side new leagues are quite abundant.

-foxy
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by 07soccerdad 29/01/19, 04:53 pm

IAmSoccerfan wrote:I've been at this soccer thing for a while now as a parent.  I'm curious to get peoples take on the coaching landscape.  What is the ratio of good coaches to bad coaches?  I realize it's all perspective.  A coach can be a real jerk but be winning and his flaws are overlooked by parents and club.  Same coach with a team that's not winning and his warts are for all to see and parents have major issues with said coach. I'm starting to believe that the majority of coaches are jerks and treat their kids like crap.  So many times i hear coaches yell at the kids and don't give a lot of positive feedback.  I'm fine with a coach getting on my kid, but give her some correction instead of just telling her she messed up.  I see coaches yank kids out of a game for making a mistake, yelling at them and not giving them correction.  Rare is the coach who is tough but respected by the kids.  A lot of kids seem to be playing to not make mistakes instead of being confident and being creative.  It's a shame.  Bottom line is that winning is everything to most clubs, coaches and parents at the cost of development and hooking up with a good coach.  I know the good ones are out there and this is not directed at all coaches or anyone specific.  Thoughts?  What have your experiences been like?

Good post. We too have been with this soccer thing in NTX for a decent while as well. My DD has also experienced the above mentioned coaching situations all too often...those that instilled fear, those that are awful communicators, those that create divisive team cultures, etc. I'm hopeful my DD finds the right team and the right coach soon so that she a)continues to play and enjoys the game for many years b)continues to develop and c)feels like part of a team. We shall see. Good luck to your DD!

07soccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 30/01/19, 01:49 pm

RIP Lil Peep wrote:Good topic!  I've developed a HSO on these "coaches" over a looong period of time...my theory for the elusive and rare DFW good coach is simple...they love soccer and are fantastic communicators.  Its that simple.  In turn its fun for the kids, lets them create, take risks, encourages a long term appreciation for the game and winning is typically a byproduct of the positive environment.  
The dark side is far more complex...the "yeller" as I call them are typically your full time coach because they have attempted more lucrative jobs and failed OR know they would fail so they stick with what they "know"-soccer.  The Yeller is an extremely poor communicator, thus the yelling and red face from frustration because they can't communicate their point to adults much less kids.  
Take these Yellers and transplant them to your local school. How many parents go ape shtick on that teacher for their behavior in the classroom???
Going to blow some minds with this really HSO...but just like dancing or singing-an accent does not always equate to good judges or coaches...that'll get in the kitchen of some soccer moms out there...

Agree with your point.  

We had 3 different children go through club soccer and our experience was that the better coaches were people who were successful in life and engaged in careers, other than exclusively coaching youth soccer, particularly at the younger ages, be it teaching, sales, small business owner, etc.  They just seemed to be better balanced and have a different perspective on life relative to youth soccer.

There are a few 'professional coaches' coaching the older ages who are very good at training players for high level college programs and national pools, but you can count those on one hand.

The higher a coaches % of total income is from youth soccer, and the younger the age they are coaching, the more due diligence needed.

Last edited by Lefty on 30/01/19, 03:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ArsenalTX14 30/01/19, 02:58 pm

The higher a coaches % of total income is from youth soccer, and the younger the age they are coaching, the more due diligence needed.

Yep! 100% Spot-On!!!

ArsenalTX14
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FCUSARV 30/01/19, 09:08 pm

Yelling aside here is another hint. Is the coaches best players some of his newest players or are they the older players on the team that he has had the longest meaning the coach developed them vs acquired them and is winning in spite of himself. There are many coaches that are talent acquisitioners and can coach
Players that are high level but cannot develop them or have no interest in it.

FCUSARV
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 30/01/19, 09:17 pm

This sounds like a typical coach to me. Playing to win not worried about the players and getting some free perks.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 31/01/19, 11:52 am

FCUSARV wrote:Yelling aside here is another hint. Is the coaches best players some of  his newest players or are they the older players on the team that he has had the longest meaning the coach developed them vs acquired them and is winning in spite of himself. There are many coaches that are talent acquisitioners and can coach

Point to consider, particularly at the younger ages.

What amount of what skillset do you want in your child's 'Coach'?
. Teacher
. Trainer
. Motivator
. Game Preparation/Strategist
. In Game Coaching
. Recruiter
. etc.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 31/01/19, 01:48 pm

Most important things I look for:

Can he hold his liquor?

Does he know how to treat the ladies?

Does he give discounts?

What's it take to get my kid more playing time?
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by smugrr 31/01/19, 03:17 pm

Do you put yourself in the "ladies" category?

smugrr
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain 31/01/19, 04:06 pm

95%+ of all the coaches are lie, mislead, deflect, exaggerate, and all have elitist superiority complexes...............and will continue to do that even when  you call them out on it.....................nearly everything that comes out of their mouth is BS, even when you try to have honest expectations established in advance.....................my advice is to roster your kid randomly with a team at a big club as a floater for some kind of dues discount or register as a non rostered player and guest play tournaments every chance you get.....................spend your money and focus your time on academics (thats going to get you the scholarship $$$$) and skills training if you want your kid to truely develop...............its the outside effort where the kid evolves....................these coaches dont do *foul language*
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 31/01/19, 04:33 pm

ItsMeAgain wrote:95%+ of all the coaches are lie, mislead, deflect, exaggerate, and all have elitist superiority complexes...............and will continue to do that even when  you call them out on it.....................nearly everything that comes out of their mouth is BS, even when you try to have honest expectations established in advance.....................my advice is to roster your kid randomly with a team at a big club as a floater for some kind of dues discount or register as a non rostered player and guest play tournaments every chance you get.....................spend your money and focus your time on academics (thats going to get you the scholarship $$$$) and skills training if you want your kid to truely develop...............its the outside effort where the kid evolves....................these coaches dont do *foul language*

I can't recall there ever being a more spot on example of a 'have not' on this forum.  ^ Rooouuuggghhh Sir Neutral

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by WinTheChipzRdown 31/01/19, 07:39 pm

What Coach is next up I’m academy?
Back in my older daughter days it was DM, JD, LW, RS, AG, TD etc.

Are any coaches building strong teams with technical and tactical guidance these days in academy?

WinTheChipzRdown
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsMeAgain 01/02/19, 10:05 am

Big Ern wrote:
ItsMeAgain wrote:95%+ of all the coaches are lie, mislead, deflect, exaggerate, and all have elitist superiority complexes...............and will continue to do that even when  you call them out on it.....................nearly everything that comes out of their mouth is BS, even when you try to have honest expectations established in advance.....................my advice is to roster your kid randomly with a team at a big club as a floater for some kind of dues discount or register as a non rostered player and guest play tournaments every chance you get.....................spend your money and focus your time on academics (thats going to get you the scholarship $$$$) and skills training if you want your kid to truely develop...............its the outside effort where the kid evolves....................these coaches dont do *foul language*

I can't recall there ever being a more spot on example of a 'have not' on this forum.  ^ Rooouuuggghhh Sir Neutral

Rolling Eyes yeah........................because you know the background behind every post to the forum..........................Rolling Eyes
ItsMeAgain
ItsMeAgain
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 01/02/19, 11:05 am

Your post may be a wee bit over the top, particularly in the % it applies to,  though I have seen all the behaviors you point out frequently demonstrated by many 'coaches'.  Probably a good list of things to be on the lookout for and avoid when doing due diligence on a coach.

Have also seen a fair number of coaches who are honest and straight forward vilified because they just have poor communication/social skills or parents don't like the message.

Your advice on how to proceed sounds unrealistic for most.  Seems like a better option is to do your due diligence and find a coach who is relatively honest and straight forward and fits your DD's needs at a particular point in time.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by BENDMEOVER 01/02/19, 07:45 pm

This is some good stuff indeed.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 03/02/19, 11:47 am

ItsMeAgain wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

Rolling Eyes yeah........................because you know the background behind every post to the forum..........................Rolling Eyes

Lefty is one of the smart ones on this forum and is certainly spot on here --

This is only strengthening my case Sir ... How is this at all relevant in any argument against your title?

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Hersoccerdad 10/02/19, 06:26 pm

FCUSARV wrote:Yelling aside here is another hint. Is the coaches best players some of  his newest players or are they the older players on the team that he has had the longest meaning the coach developed them vs acquired them and is winning in spite of himself. There are many coaches that are talent acquisitioners and can coach

Exactly!!!!

Hersoccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hersoccerdad 10/02/19, 06:39 pm

Lefty wrote:

Your post may be a wee bit over the top, particularly in the % it applies to,  though I have seen all the behaviors you point out frequently demonstrated by many 'coaches'.  Probably a good list of things to be on the lookout for and avoid when doing due diligence on a coach.

Have also seen a fair number of coaches who are honest and straight forward vilified because they just have poor communication/social skills or parents don't like the message.

Your advice on how to proceed sounds unrealistic for most.  Seems like a better option is to do your due diligence and find a coach who is relatively honest and straight forward and fits your DD's needs at a particular point in time.

Very good advice. Thing is. You can look throughout the season, when you have time (who has that? Wink. And stupid NTX soccer only gives you six weeks or so to practice (and hopefully) guest play with a team to see if there's chemistry with the team and your DD.

Hersoccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 11/02/19, 12:22 pm

Hersoccerdad wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Very good advice. Thing is. You can look throughout the season, when you have time (who has that? Wink. And stupid NTX soccer only gives you six weeks or so to practice (and hopefully) guest play with a team to see if there's chemistry with the team and your DD.

We kind of looked at doing coaching due diligence as part of everyday soccer activity.

Listen to people, watch coaches at games, practices, tournaments, HS etc.  

Listen to what coaches say about other coaches.

You are the only one looking out for your DD's best interest.  If you are realistic about your DD's skill level, level of commitment and best coaching style for her, the list for good fits narrows down pretty quickly.

Over the years we saw the biggest blowups and bad fits happen when parents ignored the above and went with the winningest team that they could find for their DD disregarding all other factors.

A wise coach told us early on.  Have your DD go where she is wanted, valued and fits.  She will perform the best, develop the best, otherwise you are going to drain all the fun out of the game for her.  

Actually not bad advice for a number of other things besides soccer.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by RIP Lil Peep 11/02/19, 02:54 pm

Lefty wrote:
Hersoccerdad wrote:
Lefty wrote:

We kind of looked at doing coaching due diligence as part of everyday soccer activity.

Listen to people, watch coaches at games, practices, tournaments, HS etc.  

Listen to what coaches say about other coaches.

You are the only one looking out for your DD's best interest.  If you are realistic about your DD's skill level, level of commitment and best coaching style for her, the list for good fits narrows down pretty quickly.

Over the years we saw the biggest blowups and bad fits happen when parents ignored the above and went with the winningest team that they could find for their DD disregarding all other factors.

A wise coach told us early on.  Have your DD go where she is wanted, valued and fits.  She will perform the best, develop the best, otherwise you are going to drain all the fun out of the game for her.  

Actually not bad advice for a number of other things besides soccer.

Good sound advice...I'm sure these dual games in LH are making the loopy coaches extra loopy.  You can spot them a mile away....heard one from the parking lot the other day, got closer and he looked like a little troll with a strawberry sitting on his shoulders and a mole on it.... cherry Evil or Very Mad Mad Twisted Evil

RIP Lil Peep
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next