North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready

Go down

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready Empty Highland Park looks like they are getting ready

Post by futvideo 04/03/11, 04:02 pm

for the playoff run. I wasn't as impressed with defending state champ JJ Pierce. Both videos of them playing Newman Smith are on www.futvideo.net.

futvideo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready Empty Re: Highland Park looks like they are getting ready

Post by JustaSport 04/03/11, 04:06 pm

futvideo wrote:for the playoff run. I wasn't as impressed with defending state champ JJ Pierce. Both videos of them playing Newman Smith are on www.futvideo.net.

I would agree that HP is the stronger team. But don't get carried away too early. Didn't JJ Pearce shellac HP in the first game this season 3-0?
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready Empty Re: Highland Park looks like they are getting ready

Post by whowasthatto 21/03/11, 04:14 pm

Highland Park doesn't have the goalkeeping to make a deep run in the playoffs. Their goalkeeper was the reason they got knocked out of the playoffs last year and it hasn't got any better this year.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/03/11, 04:27 pm

whowasthatto wrote:Highland Park doesn't have the goalkeeping to make a deep run in the playoffs. Their goalkeeper was the reason they got knocked out of the playoffs last year and it hasn't got any better this year.
I guess you could say the offense was a little to blame also or was that the goalkeeper's fault also? It's funny how soccer is a team game until the goalie misses a few!

Back to top Go down

Post by whowasthatto 21/03/11, 04:38 pm

Let's see, HP was winning 1-0 until about a minute left in regulation when the HP keeper dropped a ball that was right in her hands and Rockwall tied it up. In the shootout, the HP keeper couldn't stop a single shot, yet the Rockwall keeper saves all 3 of HP's shots. Although there are 10 other players on the field, this was definitely a game that HP lost because of their keeper.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/03/11, 04:53 pm

whowasthatto wrote:Let's see, HP was winning 1-0 until about a minute left in regulation when the HP keeper dropped a ball that was right in her hands and Rockwall tied it up. In the shootout, the HP keeper couldn't stop a single shot, yet the Rockwall keeper saves all 3 of HP's shots. Although there are 10 other players on the field, this was definitely a game that HP lost because of their keeper.
So how many shots on goal did HP have? Sounds like HP field players need to work on Finishing shots! Who gets credit for them getting to the playoffs?

Back to top Go down

Post by LonDrew 21/03/11, 04:55 pm

whowasthatto wrote:Let's see, HP was winning 1-0 until about a minute left in regulation when the HP keeper dropped a ball that was right in her hands and Rockwall tied it up. In the shootout, the HP keeper couldn't stop a single shot, yet the Rockwall keeper saves all 3 of HP's shots. Although there are 10 other players on the field, this was definitely a game that HP lost because of their keeper.

Maybe the Rockwall players did a great job of placing their PK's? If so, you shouldn't put that burden on the goalie's shoulders.
LonDrew
LonDrew
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by whowasthatto 21/03/11, 05:04 pm

I'm not one to quickly blame a keeper for a goal. I grew up playing keeper overseas where soccer was God, so I have a lot of empathy for keepers. There are rare instances where a keeper will cost you a game and HP's situation last year was one of those rare ones.

As for how HP got to that point, it was fairly easy for them to beat Heath and Lovejoy just to get into the playoffs. Secondly, HP had a pretty good back line that enabled very few shots to even get to their keeper. It's amazing how a back line can make a keeper's stats look great or horrible. As a matter of fact, the keeper for HP last year was voted Keeper of the Year in the district, but was probably the 5th best keeper in that district at best. Pearce, Rockwall, The Colony and Heath all had better keepers, but HP had a pretty stout back line.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/03/11, 05:25 pm

whowasthatto wrote:I'm not one to quickly blame a keeper for a goal. I grew up playing keeper overseas where soccer was God, so I have a lot of empathy for keepers. There are rare instances where a keeper will cost you a game and HP's situation last year was one of those rare ones.

As for how HP got to that point, it was fairly easy for them to beat Heath and Lovejoy just to get into the playoffs. Secondly, HP had a pretty good back line that enabled very few shots to even get to their keeper. It's amazing how a back line can make a keeper's stats look great or horrible. As a matter of fact, the keeper for HP last year was voted Keeper of the Year in the district, but was probably the 5th best keeper in that district at best. Pearce, Rockwall, The Colony and Heath all had better keepers, but HP had a pretty stout back line.

Guess it's all just a matter of perspective. If the keeper didn't give up the soft goal, they win. If the "stout back line" kept that shot from getting on frame, they win. If the offense put one more in the back of the net in regulation, they win. How many "if's" do you think there were in that game? Every bad pass, touch, run, etc. was a scoring opportunity missed. You're picking one mistake out of a hundred and saying that's the sole reason for the loss.

They call it a team sport for a reason, sunshine. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by whowasthatto 23/03/11, 12:39 pm

The goal in regulation was off of a free kick about 35-40 yards out as a result of a foul by someone in the midfield, not from the back line.

As for keepers getting the blame, how many English don't blame Rob Green for their tie in the World Cup to the USA? I am a big West Ham supporter and hated to see Green commit such a howler, but he deserves the blame for letting Dempsey score.

We'll just have to wait an see how the playoffs unfold. Although HP is tough, their achilles heel is their keeper. Every team has a weak spot somewhere. The 2nd round game between HP and McKinney North looks awfully appetizing. It is probably the best 2nd round match-up out there.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/11, 01:52 pm

whowasthatto wrote:The goal in regulation was off of a free kick about 35-40 yards out as a result of a foul by someone in the midfield, not from the back line.

As for keepers getting the blame, how many English don't blame Rob Green for their tie in the World Cup to the USA? I am a big West Ham supporter and hated to see Green commit such a howler, but he deserves the blame for letting Dempsey score.

We'll just have to wait an see how the playoffs unfold. Although HP is tough, their achilles heel is their keeper. Every team has a weak spot somewhere. The 2nd round game between HP and McKinney North looks awfully appetizing. It is probably the best 2nd round match-up out there.

You clearly have an axe to grind with this poor kid and are blind to what's obvious to almost everyone else.

She gets voted Keeper of the year in the District for her work during the season, but according to you the credit for that belongs solely to the defense and she really ranks somewhere near the bottom. You hold the offense (and remainder of the team for that matter) blameless in the playoff loss to Rockwall, but hold her solely accountable because she gave up a a single goal and failed to record the shutout.

Did she give up a soft goal? Maybe (clearly, in your opinion). But the loss was a result of a failure to score more than the opponent...and that is a collective team failure.

As for your Rob Green example, the article below puts it better than I ever could...

June 13, 2010, 12:10 PM ET
If you’re an England fan, who do you blame?

Well, there’s Robert Green of course. Green’s ridiculous error in front of goal, which allowed a tame and speculative shot from Clint Dempsey dribble to over the line and give the U.S. an equalizer, was of a piece with a long line of goal keeping howlers for England.

Seaman, Robinson, Carson and now Green, have all been victimized by bad luck, nerves or schoolboy level mistakes during crucial national games and cost England dearly.

You could blame Emile Heskey, the England forward, who when presented with a golden opportunity to score in the second half simply kicked the ball directly at the U.S. goalkeeper. Or pick Shaun Wright-Phillips for your ire. The sprightly midfielder did something similar when set up beautifully by Wayne Rooney.

But if I were an England fan, I would blame Fabio Capello. The England manager, who has been hailed as a prophet for the Three Lions, badly fumbled the most important test of his managerial career for England .
At the national level, it can be argued that the coach’s most important job is to pick the team. The French call the national team coach “le selectioneur” which translates to “the chooser”, because they understand that is the essential part of the coach’s job.
Capello made a mess of his team selection. That is the simple and unavoidable fact. He picked a midfielder, James Milner, still recovering from a virus and clearly unable to cope with the pressure of the international stage, whose wild tackle early in the game earned him a yellow card and an early substitution.
He picked a central defender, Ledley King, who has a chronic knee condition that doesn’t allow him to practice between games. King also had to be substituted at halftime because he picked up another injury.
He also picked an attacker, Heskey, a 32-year-old striker who has scored just 7 goals in 59 appearances for the national team. Heskey was picked because of his supposed ability to set up wonder striker Wayne Rooney. But Heskey performed flabbily other than his 4th minute pass that set up an England goal. You could also blame Rooney himself, who was a non-factor for most of the game thanks in part to marking by U.S. defender Jay Demerit.

There is, of course one other factor to blame. The U.S. team, which, though it was extremely lucky, nevertheless probably just about earned a tie in this game. In addition to Demerit’s strong defending, Landon Donovan’s menace-filled roving on the wing, Michael Bradley’s tough midfield enforcing and Tim Howard’s inspiring goalkeeping all combined to shut down the England attack. The speed of U.S. attackers left England ’s defense flat footed in the second half. One almost felt sorry for Jamie Carragher, whose attempts to stop U.S. attacker Jozy Altidore were little short of pathetic.

Last night’s game was entertaining and didn’t change the fact that England and the U.S. are still likely to advance out of this group.
But at the end of the day, two things were made clear in Rustenberg last night. First, the United States has a legitimate claim to a spot in the round of 16 and possibly beyond. Second, England is no longer, if it ever was, a top contender to lift the trophy at the end of this World Cup.
– Christopher Noble

You simply fail to understand what every other soccer parent on this forum inherently knows to be true ... when the team fails to win, it's always the refs fault (or sometimes the coach). Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by whowasthatto 23/03/11, 02:15 pm

Good perspective on the England loss to the USA. I agree that 100% of the blame does not lie at Rob Green's feet (or should I say hands?) nor the keeper for HP. I will stop singling out the HP keeper for their loss to Rockwall last year.

Getting back to the first thing I said in response to the initial post, I still believe that HP does not have enough talent at keeper to make a deep run. A team needs a strong keeper to bail out the rest of the team's mistakes. The UIL shoot out rule definitely gives a keeper more of a chance than a basic penalty shot, which tends to favor the team with the better keeper. If a weaker overall team packs it in and plays for the tie...

With that said, I think the 4A girls teams with the keepers to watch out for are Wakeland, McKinney North, Rockwall, Pearce and Heath.

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/11, 02:47 pm

whowasthatto wrote:Good perspective on the England loss to the USA. I agree that 100% of the blame does not lie at Rob Green's feet (or should I say hands?) nor the keeper for HP. I will stop singling out the HP keeper for their loss to Rockwall last year.

Getting back to the first thing I said in response to the initial post, I still believe that HP does not have enough talent at keeper to make a deep run. A team needs a strong keeper to bail out the rest of the team's mistakes. The UIL shoot out rule definitely gives a keeper more of a chance than a basic penalty shot, which tends to favor the team with the better keeper. If a weaker overall team packs it in and plays for the tie...

With that said, I think the 4A girls teams with the keepers to watch out for are Wakeland, McKinney North, Rockwall, Pearce and Heath.

Fair enough. And I've got no argument with the rest of it, except of course (and as you previously pointed out)...it was actually a tie. Though your slip is understandable as it no doubt still feels like a loss to everyone on or from that side of the pond. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/11, 03:07 pm

whowasthatto wrote:The goal in regulation was off of a free kick about 35-40 yards out as a result of a foul by someone in the midfield, not from the back line.

I agree, sometimes you have to blame the keeper. As he pointed out......

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready Goal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/11, 03:24 pm

Blank77 wrote:
I agree, sometimes you have to blame the keeper. As he pointed out......

Highland Park looks like they are getting ready Goal

For a goal, yes. Not for a loss.

Go back up and read the excellent article by Dr. J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D... I mean Christopher Noble, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist with an impeccable football pedigree. Razz

And shut up, you. I already had him convinced and now you'll no doubt inspire a retraction. Go away, nobody likes you.

Besides, that voodoo ball clearly had some wicked combination of Minnesota Fats English and Fernando Valenzuela Screwball to it. Freakin thing had eyes, man. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by whowasthatto 23/03/11, 03:36 pm

Regardless of what side of the argument I am on, as far as Rob Green goes, still "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"

whowasthatto
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down