North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

hand balls Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

hand balls

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hand balls Empty hand balls

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 09:56 am

i am appalled at the lack of handballs called. 6-7 years old? ok much latitude, 8-9-10-11 playing academy and throwing up your hands? nope. free kick. how many times have i seen girls throw their hands up block the ball and then run off w it. it should be very costly to to do this but refs just say play on. not acceptable in these leagues. BLOW THE WHISTLE!!

Back to top Go down

hand balls Empty Re: hand balls

Post by bigtex75081 08/02/12, 10:15 am

It's hard sometimes to make that distinction between hand-to-ball or ball-to-hand. I think sometimes the referees lean towards not making the call to avoid disrupting the flow of the game. If a kid doesn't gain any advantage from contacting the ball with their hand, I get that not calling it makes sense.

I will say that girls tend to get their hands up a lot more often then boys do. It seems like a natural reaction for women of all ages to naturally pull there arms in to protect their chest when they see the ball in the air coming towards them. (You can see examples of the move I'm talking about all the time. The ball heads towards a girl/woman and both hands ball into fists and go under their chin. The elbows point straight down to the ground and the forearms become a chest-guard.) Playing the ball with the chest comes A LOT less naturally for girls than boys.

The only way to get past that is with lots and lots of repetitions. Getting over that natural reaction takes a lot of coaching and practice. It doesn't make sense though for a coach to invest a ton of time at that age with the kids controlling the ball out of the air. The ball just isn't in the air that much at that age. It makes more sense for a U07 to be working on footwork and 1-on-1 defending than it does working on chest traps from 30-yard crosses.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 10:22 am

i agree, BUT these kids are obstructing the ball intentionally with their hands. it is a handball and should be called. chest ok maybe but hands over your head no way. ia m talking about 8910 year olds who should know better not first graders

Back to top Go down

Post by LHD 08/02/12, 10:23 am

anselansel wrote:i agree, BUT these kids are obstructing the ball intentionally with their hands. it is a handball and should be called. chest ok maybe but hands over your head no way

Handling should be called if intentional at any age. However, equally annoying is parents constantly yelling "hand ball" from the sidelines. (As well as "kick it" "run" "shoot" etc . . . but that's another topic altogether).

From a referee blog:

Common Soccer Misconceptions

The “Hand Ball” Call

Hand Ball (or “handling” as it’s now officially known) is commonly misunderstood to be any contact of the ball to hand or arm, or any contact to the hand or arm that provides advantage to the offending team.

It is neither of these. Instead, the question of if contact of the ball to the arm or hand is a foul is not is one of mere contact, but rather did the player deliberately make contact (or not avoid contact) with the ball with that area of the body? If the answer is yes (and the player isn’t a goalkeeper in the penalty area), you have a foul; but if the referee believes the answer is no (even if it results in a goal!), then the answer must be no.

FIFA’s Laws of the Game, an
excerpt from Law 12

12.9 DELIBERATE HANDLING
The offense known as “handling the ball” involves deliberate contact with the ball by a player’s hand or arm(including fingertips, or outer shoulder). “Deliberate contact” means that the player could have avoided the touchbut chose not to, that the player’s arms were not in a normal playing position at the time, or that the playerdeliberately continued an initially accidental contact for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage. Moving hands or arms instinctively to protect the body when suddenly faced with a fast approaching ball does not constitute deliberate contact unless there is subsequent action to direct the ball once contact is made. Likewise, placing hands or arms to protect the body at a free kick or similar restart is not likely to produce an infringement unless there is subsequent action to direct or control the ball. The fact that a player may benefit from the ball contacting the hand does not transform the otherwise accidental event into an infringement. A player infringes the Law regarding handling the ball even if direct contact is avoided by holding something in the hand (clothing, shinguard,etc.).

LHD
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 10:29 am

i'm on a roll. i am not talking about being in a wall on a free kick or nicely contained arms protecting the chest i am talking about bouncing balls or being in the way on the receiving end of a an opponents kicked ball and putting up your hands to block the ball when you could have gotten out of the way. handling the ball in order to divert its path. fouls are teaching tools and we do ourselves no good allowing it to happen. just like traveling or double dribbling in BB.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Hootna 08/02/12, 10:34 am

Touching the ball is not always a foul. Not an expert at the rules but there is accidental and deliberate handballs. I dont really worry about it although I hear parents screaming like crazed idiots when it happens.
Hootna
Hootna
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/02/12, 10:39 am

Another natural reaction to a ball in the air, when it should be a header, is seeing girls put their arms above their head like they're making the letter "Y". I don't understand why this is a natural reaction but I've been coaching youth soccer for a while and I see it all the time. Those are almost always called for handling though because it's impossible to ignore. I don't get though why that's a natural reaction for people.

The truth is, while the girls know better, they haven't had the repetitions to get those natural reactions out of them. It has nothing to do with age, it has only to do with experience. I say that because I see 35 year old women playing indoor soccer that have no playing experience and as soon as the ball goes above their head it looks like a wedding reception just broke out on the field and the Village People's "YMCA" just started playing.

The girls just haven't seen the ball in the air that much yet. It will come with experience.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 10:40 am

Touching the ball is not always a foul. but obstructing the ball intentionally is.......fouls are part of the game for a reason, enforce them. refs seem like they are so scared that you almost have to give someone a compound fracture to get a card pulled......

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 08/02/12, 11:21 am

It's been a while since I've done the U6-7 game. However, handling is a sticky call. You first have to look at the level of play, intent (was this a nature movement) and last, position of the handling on the field.

Level of play - is this a Div I level team or a Arl/Plano level of players.
Intent - Was the child blocking the ball as a nature defensive reaction to keep from being hit in the face. Parents have to realize getting hit in the face with the ball from a kick is hard for a 6/7 year old. Yes, I know dads will say, "They need to man-up." Last, did the kid reach out away from their body to deflect the ball?

Position on the field - Was it a defender in the box with a handling issue or the Attacking team. If the attacking team hands in the box i'm probably going to call that.
If the call is in the middle of the field I'm more than likely to call that on either team.

It's more of a judgement call.

It really doesn't matter if you have U6/7 or U17/19 you still have to make the same decisions. I've discussed calls at halftime or after the games on calls I would have made and calls that I wouldn't have made and everyone has a reason for why they did or did not make the call.

Yes a foul is a foul and some parents may disagree.
If you look at EPL games you're see the exact same missed calls every weekend.

I know you may not believe it but there are times that there are legitimate handling issues on the field and the ref may not be in position to see the call. Normally, because kids running and blocking your line of vision and or just being out of position. Then there are times that I've been an AR and I'm focusing on the offside and didn't see the handling call. There's a lot you have to watch and it happens so fast.

It's just a game and we don't have a monitor where as we can look at instant replay if we miss a call.

Bottomline relax!
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by imabee 08/02/12, 11:45 am

Its Me wrote:Bottomline relax!

Not sure what that means???

imabee
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 11:58 am

relax, lol. i have nothing to relax about. sorry if passion frightens you. now back to the point for the less tender reeds out there. enforce the rules of the game. we are not in rec, we are in academy and select. actions have consequences. violate them and pay the price. i have seen refs watch the handball and say play on. a handball is a serious foul in soccer and should be enforced not winked away........ scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 08/02/12, 12:05 pm

I always found the Law pretty clear. And definitely agree that the center can do a great injustice to the game by not using the Law to teach the game. But what is more disturbing are those among my brethren in black who add their own views to calling a game, e.g. where on the pitch a foul occurs. It's kind of like legislating from the bench. A foul is a foul.
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by NasirJones 08/02/12, 12:51 pm

Gunner9 wrote:I always found the Law pretty clear. And definitely agree that the center can do a great injustice to the game by not using the Law to teach the game. But what is more disturbing are those among my brethren in black who add their own views to calling a game, e.g. where on the pitch a foul occurs. It's kind of like legislating from the bench. A foul is a foul.

Sorry Gunners, but you are off there....

If a defender arrives with a tackle just a fraction late and takes down the attacker just after the shot gets off in the penalty area, unless clearly reckless, that is a no-call. The thinking is the defender had to be allowed to try and defend the shot. If the same play happens at mid-fileld, a foul everytime.. This exact same difference plays out several times in every match from SDL to Serie A... So dont jump on your fellow Ref too hard, because, as you should know, Referee discrecion is a small part of what makes the game as great as it is...
NasirJones
NasirJones
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/02/12, 01:07 pm

The word "relax" seems to have set off a lot of fireworks on this string. Instead of saying "relax" maybe we should say "be patient with the kids".

Soccer includes a lot of movements that do not come naturally to people. If you haven't watched a u05 game recently, go watch one. Those kids will ONLY do what comes naturally to them. You'll see them dribble. You'll see them stand and watch. You'll see them touch the ball with their hands. You will NOT see them pass the ball. (Passing and giving up the ball does not come naturally to anyone. Sharing just isn't a natural thing. It needs to be taught.)

Since your DD is not a u05 I imagine that she knows how to pass now. That she stays active and doesn't just stand and watch. That she doesn't just randomly reach down and touch the ball with her hand to help her dribble.

Be patient with the kids. Don't get upset with them or the referee because it is very hard to overcome these natural instincts. (And the referees that do realize the level of play they're working with and adjust accordingly are generally good refs, by the way.) The handballs will decrease eventually but for now you need to be patient. Just like you were patient as your DD learned how to complete a pass.

A coach can't solve everything all at once. It takes time. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Last edited by bigtex75081 on 08/02/12, 01:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 01:10 pm

bigtex, i usually agree with you but not this time. playing fast and loose with the rules for 8 and above in academy and select is wrong. these arent 05's. games have rules and kids who practice two times aweek year, play year round round are held to a higher standard IMO.........

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 08/02/12, 01:14 pm

Gunner9 wrote:I always found the Law pretty clear. And definitely agree that the center can do a great injustice to the game by not using the Law to teach the game. But what is more disturbing are those among my brethren in black who add their own views to calling a game, e.g. where on the pitch a foul occurs. It's kind of like legislating from the bench. A foul is a foul.

Totally disagree with this statement. Yes, a foul is a foul however, at the same time. You're there to manage and control the flow of the game. If you don't use discretion you're going to chop the game up.

As I explain to my kids you have to play to the level of the ref. If he's going to chop the game up then that's his game. If he's going to let you play then play.

Just my point of view.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 01:20 pm

"add their own views to calling a game, "

totally agree, the worst is the missed call against team a so the ref"makes it up" to team a by calling something on team b, use the rules and then the players are in control of the game rather than the ref's discretion...

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 08/02/12, 01:27 pm

anselansel wrote:bigtex, i usually agree with you but not this time. playing fast and loose with the rules for 8 and above in academy and select is wrong. these arent 05's. games have rules and kids who practice two times aweek year, play year round round are held to a higher standard IMO.........

See what I mean Bigtex? maybe we should say "be patient with the kids". However, you are correct I could have used a better phrase.
However, Anselansel is on a tangent over a U6/U7 game. REALLY?

Anselansel, Be patient with the kids and relax!
How's that? Laughing
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 01:30 pm

"However, Anselansel is on a tangent over a U6/U7 game. REALLY?"

for the love of pete, did you read any of this post before you replyed ? i said 2 or 3 times u8 and above. i hope you are not as lazy on the pitch........

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 08/02/12, 01:45 pm

anselansel wrote:"However, Anselansel is on a tangent over a U6/U7 game. REALLY?"

for the love of pete, did you read any of this post before you replyed ? i said 2 or 3 times u8 and above. i hope you are not as lazy on the pitch........

Ansel, I was only joking with you. Very Happy
As to the age U6 U7 U8 U19 as I mentioned earlier you have to use discretion.
However, they're always looking for parents that want to make a different on the field and become referees.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by NasirJones 08/02/12, 02:20 pm

Its Me wrote:
anselansel wrote:"However, Anselansel is on a tangent over a U6/U7 game. REALLY?"

Ansel, I was only joking with you. Very Happy
As to the age U6 U7 U8 U19 as I mentioned earlier you have to use discretion.
However, they're always looking for parents that want to make a different on the field and become referees.

Yea Ansel, you could then call as many handballs as you like
NasirJones
NasirJones
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/02/12, 02:25 pm

"Yea Ansel, you could then call as many handballs as you like"

one can only dream........... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 08/02/12, 07:30 pm

NasirJones wrote:

Sorry Gunners, but you are off there....

If a defender arrives with a tackle just a fraction late and takes down the attacker just after the shot gets off in the penalty area, unless clearly reckless, that is a no-call. The thinking is the defender had to be allowed to try and defend the shot. If the same play happens at mid-fileld, a foul everytime.. This exact same difference plays out several times in every match from SDL to Serie A... So dont jump on your fellow Ref too hard, because, as you should know, Referee discrecion is a small part of what makes the game as great maddening as it is...

The Laws are just kind of a suggestions for the Center. He'll take them under advisement.

Long live the king! cheers

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 09/02/12, 07:38 am

As a coach, I prefer working with referees that let the kids play and don't interfere with the pace of play. I much prefer a referee that uses the advantage call as opposed to one that wants to teach my kids how to play. (It's my job to teach my kids how to play during practice.) I like referees that, at the end of the game, you hardly realized they were on the field with the kids

I tell you that to admit that I hate the sound of my own whistle when I referee games. It makes my ears ring for the rest of the day and I hate that. I call fouls that need to be called but I consider my primary role out there to be keeping the kids playing safely. I don't consider my role to be one that influences the game. I'm not there to teach unless it is U04-U06. I'm there to make quick decisions and keep the kids playing safely. I do prefer though, at the end of the end of each game, to walk off the field quietly and have no one realize I was even there.

Unless a coach specifically asks me to watch certain issues, I call games the way I like to see them called. To just allow the kids to play the game.

I can barely watch the NFL on TV. The game is so slow and clunky to me now. It seems like every other play results in a flag. Have you ever seen the NFL Rulebook? It's gigantic. I have no idea how those referees can keep up with so many rules. I guess that's why the NFL keeps 8 or 10 referees on the field during play… to keep up with all those crappy rules. I understand why they have all those rules but, for me as a viewer, I find it very boring to watch with the constant stoppages in play.

Soccer is not like that. Have you ever seen the FIFA Laws of the Game? It's surprisingly small. We don't have rules, we have laws. The referee has to interpret those laws based on every situation. We don't have very many rules telling us what can and cannot be done and I think that's a part of what makes soccer so great. It's great in its simplicity.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 09/02/12, 09:08 am

I do think it’s ironic that we hear the U.S. public consistently demanding smaller government, less bureaucracy, less laws that impinge on our freedoms… But when it comes to sports we want more rules and we want them more strictly enforced.

In sports we insist on being governed more strictly. We want instant video reviews in every sport. We want more referees on the field. We want the pitch-tracker to replace umpires in baseball. America’s most popular game, NFL Football, has that monstrous rulebook because that’s what the organizations want to avoid cheating and injuries.

So which is it, do we want to be governed more or governed less?

You probably already decoded this mystery but I prefer to be governed less when I’m playing and coaching the game of soccer.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next