North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Academy Bar-Hopping? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Academy Bar-Hopping?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many Academy programs has your DD spent at least 1 season with?

Academy Bar-Hopping? Vote_lcap42%Academy Bar-Hopping? Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 22 ]
Academy Bar-Hopping? Vote_lcap19%Academy Bar-Hopping? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 10 ]
Academy Bar-Hopping? Vote_lcap39%Academy Bar-Hopping? Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 21 ]

Total Votes : 53
Back

Academy Bar-Hopping? Empty Academy Bar-Hopping?

Post by bigtex75081 08/03/12, 01:56 pm

In another string that’s going on right now, Sweeper expressed regret for not having his DD play or train with several teams while on the Academy level. (FYI… According to his reply his DD is very happy with where she is now and so is he.) I saw that comment though and my mind immediately raced with questions. (My DD is still on the Academy level.) Instead of trying to hijack that string I’ve decided to start a new one. So now I’m fishing for advice.

Did (or has) your DD stay with the same team throughout her entire time in Academy? Or did you experiment around before signing that first contract? Did your DD run with multiple Academy teams in parallel? Is your DD still playing with the same team she first started with in Academy?

If your DD stayed (or is staying) with one Academy team the entire way… In hindsight would you have experimented more and compelled your DD to see more of what’s available out there? Would you consider your choice to work exclusively with one coach a regrettable decision?

What about the other side? Did anyone here visit with multiple Academy teams and now regret that decision?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Academy Bar-Hopping? Empty Re: Academy Bar-Hopping?

Post by jj4mel 08/03/12, 02:41 pm

My DD came from REC to Academy to train with Kat Webb. We moved around to different clubs, but the team stayed together. Once we merged with SRSA, the teams still stayed in tact for the most part. My DD is still playing with girls she played with at 4. We have gone to skills practices with other teams in years past. However, I think the skills practices she currently gets with Derek Missimo can't be beat. My DD is not interested in any other teams, and I am honestly not interested in any other clubs or coaches. Derek M, Ray C, and Adrian S are about as good as it gets.

jj4mel
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 08/03/12, 02:48 pm

what if it's 2 clubs but same coache. or for some others it's been the opposite
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 08/03/12, 02:52 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:In another string that’s going on right now, Sweeper expressed regret for not having his DD play or train with several teams while on the Academy level. (FYI… According to his reply his DD is very happy with where she is now and so is he.) I saw that comment though and my mind immediately raced with questions. (My DD is still on the Academy level.) Instead of trying to hijack that string I’ve decided to start a new one. So now I’m fishing for advice.

Did (or has) your DD stay with the same team throughout her entire time in Academy? Or did you experiment around before signing that first contract? Did your DD run with multiple Academy teams in parallel? Is your DD still playing with the same team she first started with in Academy?

If your DD stayed (or is staying) with one Academy team the entire way… In hindsight would you have experimented more and compelled your DD to see more of what’s available out there? Would you consider your choice to work exclusively with one coach a regrettable decision?

What about the other side? Did anyone here visit with multiple Academy teams and now regret that decision?

Had similar thought, but wondering if it is too late if your DD is an 02 who is 4 mos away from qualification.

oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 08/03/12, 03:28 pm

oldboot wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:In another string that’s going on right now, Sweeper expressed regret for not having his DD play or train with several teams while on the Academy level. (FYI… According to his reply his DD is very happy with where she is now and so is he.) I saw that comment though and my mind immediately raced with questions. (My DD is still on the Academy level.) Instead of trying to hijack that string I’ve decided to start a new one. So now I’m fishing for advice.

Had similar thought, but wondering if it is too late if your DD is an 02 who is 4 mos away from qualification.

Assuming your DD was up for it... With 4 months away from qualification wouldn't that be the BEST time to be working with 2 or more academies in parallel?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by nukem 08/03/12, 04:26 pm

oldboot wrote:

It's not to late. If you are thinking about looking now it the time to start.
nukem
nukem
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 08/03/12, 06:44 pm

jj4mel wrote:My DD came from REC to Academy to train with Kat Webb. We moved around to different clubs, but the team stayed together. Once we merged with SRSA, the teams still stayed in tact for the most part. My DD is still playing with girls she played with at 4. We have gone to skills practices with other teams in years past. However, I think the skills practices she currently gets with Derek Missimo can't be beat. My DD is not interested in any other teams, and I am honestly not interested in any other clubs or coaches. Derek M, Ray C, and Adrian S are about as good as it gets.

Don't forget to clarify, as good as it gets for you and your DD. I am sure you aren't intending that everyone else out there is stupid because they didn't go your route. As stated several times, the whole thing is very relative. Also, do you really know for sure, what other groups did you give solid time and comittment too to know for 100% that it wouldn't be a better fit?

It sounds like you are in a great situation and it worked out, and maybe you did give other places quality looks, but I do laugh at the people who have been in the same place since their dd was 4 and know for a fact that it is the bestest thing ever and ever.

butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nukem 08/03/12, 08:09 pm

butt3r wrote:
jj4mel wrote:My DD came from REC to Academy to train with Kat Webb. We moved around to different clubs, but the team stayed together. Once we merged with SRSA, the teams still stayed in tact for the most part. My DD is still playing with girls she played with at 4. We have gone to skills practices with other teams in years past. However, I think the skills practices she currently gets with Derek Missimo can't be beat. My DD is not interested in any other teams, and I am honestly not interested in any other clubs or coaches. Derek M, Ray C, and Adrian S are about as good as it gets.

Don't forget to clarify, as good as it gets for you and your DD. I am sure you aren't intending that everyone else out there is stupid because they didn't go your route. As stated several times, the whole thing is very relative. Also, do you really know for sure, what other groups did you give solid time and comittment too to know for 100% that it wouldn't be a better fit?

It sounds like you are in a great situation and it worked out, and maybe you did give other places quality looks, but I do laugh at the people who have been in the same place since their dd was 4 and know for a fact that it is the bestest thing ever and ever.

That's just funny because I can see the girl in your avatar using those exact words in a conversation pirat
nukem
nukem
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by goalpatrol 08/03/12, 09:02 pm

butt3r wrote:

I agree it is important to look around and find the right team for your DD's long term development. It's not really complicated. When I coached at Feet, my daughter played at Feet for convenience. At that time I thought that was right decision. After trying Solar Blue and moving to Solar Red and then SRSA. I didn't make the same choices for my BB and he played all his Academy years at FCD and well we regret not giving him other opportunities. Your decision(s) should be based on the quality of coach and players involved. This combo leads to better training sessions and better individual development. As a coach with a good understanding of soccer, it is in the details of individual technical play and tactical team understanding that make the best teams. Usually the results follow, but they really do NOT matter. A casual observer or even a soccer novice can easily determine the better teams by just watching the different teams style of play. Like JJ, I feel I have my DD at the perfect place and couldn't be happier. My DD is a much better player then when she joined her team, she is happy, she likes her teammates, and is having lots of fun. Sorry to disappoint anyone that this statement upsets on this forum. I wish that everyone finds the best soccer team for their girl. Sometimes that means making more than one stop and trying a few out.
goalpatrol
goalpatrol
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/03/12, 09:16 pm

My condolences on all of the referenced coaches. The good news is therapy for children has come a long way in recent years. Check with your health insurance provider before proceeding for any out of pocket expenses you might encounter.

Back to top Go down

Post by jae 08/03/12, 09:19 pm

Bigtex, I know that you are looking for a simple answer/advice but...

I do not think any answer or approach is right for everyone. The right approach will depend mainly on "what you want your DD to get out of soccer" and "what works best for your DD." "The right approach" will be vastly different, for example, if your primary goal is for your daughter to be one of the top soccer players in NTx than if your primary goal is for your daughter to learn the "life lessons" of playing a team sport. Also, "the right approach" will be vastly different if your DD is focued/driven to win and be a better soccer player than if your DD focuses more on the friendship/comraderie of her current teammates. For most, I suspect that their situation is some combination of all of the above...

Having said that, I believe it is always a good idea to comparison shop for the following two reasons: 1) As evidenced by several examples provided by other parents, your current team situation may change drastically beyond your control (e.g., your DD may not make the team, the team may implode) 2) You may find a team/coach that better meet your and your DD's needs than the current one. Signing an one-year contract is a major commitment. Invest the time to make sure that you are making the right decision and that you have options just in case something goes not according to your plan. That means more than "window shopping" (i.e., showing up for one practice).

BTW, our DD and her team went from rec to spending the longest and most miserable year (at least for our DD) with one of the "top academy coaches." She then attended several practices with three other "top teams/coaches" before settling on one. At least for us, it was pretty obvious where she was happy and which coach/team was best fit for her.

Last edited by jae on 08/03/12, 09:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

jae
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 08/03/12, 09:51 pm

Jae's longest post ever. Thinking about jj4mel, if she has been with KW since she was 4 that is at least 4 clubs...right?
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jj4mel 08/03/12, 09:55 pm

butt3r wrote:Jae's longest post ever. Thinking about jj4mel, if she has been with KW since she was 4 that is at least 4 clubs...right?

Only 3. Sting, Mustangs and Solar. We followed the coach, not the club. Started with Kat when she was 6 along with about 5-6 of her rec teammates.

jj4mel
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 08/03/12, 10:57 pm

Oh, my 01 was with her at fcd, played with her in 4 uniforms, lol.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 09/03/12, 07:39 am

I know the sentiments about finding a happy situation for your DD is the correct path. Whether that happens with the 1st team or the 10th team, what matters is that she's having fun and advancing.

I didn't expect though to see that the largest % of responders (at the time I'm posting this) to the poll have employed 3+ Academy teams during their DD's career. I honestly expected the large majority to have only employed 1 program. Watching those results has been eye-catching for me.

So, there's been...
1. Responses from people that stayed with 1 program/coach and are glad they did that.
2. Responses from people that have stayed with 1 program and regret not trying out others.
3. Responses that people visited with multiple programs and are glad for that.

What I haven't seen yet is a response stating their DD worked with multiple academy programs and now regret having done so. Did anybody out there work with multiple programs and now considers it a mistake?

I appreciate all of your inputs. I'm looking for all advice. I want to make sure that my DD navigates through Academy with the best possible experience.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/03/12, 08:35 am

bigtex75081 wrote:I know the sentiments about finding a happy situation for your DD is the correct path. Whether that happens with the 1st team or the 10th team, what matters is that she's having fun and advancing.

I didn't expect though to see that the largest % of responders (at the time I'm posting this) to the poll have employed 3+ Academy teams during their DD's career. I honestly expected the large majority to have only employed 1 program. Watching those results has been eye-catching for me.

So, there's been...
1. Responses from people that stayed with 1 program/coach and are glad they did that.
2. Responses from people that have stayed with 1 program and regret not trying out others.
3. Responses that people visited with multiple programs and are glad for that.

What I haven't seen yet is a response stating their DD worked with multiple academy programs and now regret having done so. Did anybody out there work with multiple programs and now considers it a mistake?

I appreciate all of your inputs. I'm looking for all advice. I want to make sure that my DD navigates through Academy with the best possible experience.

My dd has only been rostered with 2 teams in her nearly 4yrs with Academy. She has met and guest played with many. All great experiences. I don't ever regret letting her meet other coaches, teams and players. I think it has made her more confident because she can now walk onto almost any team and do her job. We stayed with her first team way too long because it was a "top" team. She thought it was the end of the world when we told her we were leaving but she now realizes that she will make friends with the girls at any teams she goes to. We have always been honest with her about how academy/select soccer works. Coach may love her personally, but his job requires he do whats best for his team. He is paid to do that and that might mean if a better player comes along...her spot could be taken. She totally gets it and knows that if that happened, she will find another place with girls she can have fun with and play the game she adores. I think it has made her more mature and while of course it would be upsetting to lose her spot...she wouldn't take it personally and lose confidence in herself.

Back to top Go down

Post by good4nuthin 09/03/12, 10:04 am

We have been with 3 academy teams in the last year. The story went like this: Recruited from rec to an academy team. where players were from the same rec league and city - great entry to more competitive soccer, good holistic, developmental coaching.

DD advanced well and was noticed by other coaches when doing extra sessions - asked to play as a guest player in tournaments. Played well, added another practice with a second team. Quality of practice was better with second team, so we added an indoor league with them and attended all practices during the winter.

Come spring, I talked with team 1 coach about playing two teams / different leagues - there would be 3 potential conflicts with games. He said he would rater have a 100% committed player - fair enough. Same day ironically - got a call from another coach (from a great team) looking for position my DD played - presented with the same scenario I gave coach 1- coach 3 accepted and wanted DD to play when she could. Started attending practices of team 3 as well and like the dynamic and development opportunities.

OK - long story - short points.
1. Three organizations, 4 coaches - great experiences with all.
2. DD is developing and getting better each week and is having fun.

I would not change a thing. It has taught her to accept change, meet new people and accept different instruction styles. Each day is different and interesting, and DD is bummed when there is a day off. We cannot go at this rate forever - but we will ride it as long as possible.

ALSO - DD has done privates with KW off and on for a year now - DD loves her and I would recommend her for skill development to anyone who wants to see immediate improvement - she has been instrumental in developing a large percentage of the top 03 girls in DFW...
good4nuthin
good4nuthin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/03/12, 10:17 am

Each child and family is different, what works for one might derail another. My DD spent winter working with 2 different teams, and futsal. She came to me and said she only wanted to work with one of the teams and futsal so we made the switch. It has to be about the kid and the right mix for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 09/03/12, 11:07 am

butt3r wrote:

Jjmilk, don't let but butter talk down to you. I doubt he/she even has any kids. Buttbutter is the kind of person that is jealous of winners and prob is a 40 yr old virg.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 09/03/12, 11:08 am

Androfan wrote:Each child and family is different, what works for one might derail another. My DD spent winter working with 2 different teams, and futsal. She came to me and said she only wanted to work with one of the teams and futsal so we made the switch. It has to be about the kid and the right mix for them.
Thanks for the coachspeak
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by USA203 09/03/12, 02:09 pm

Maybe because a reason your DD wouldn't gain valuable knowledge/experience/exposure from this is if the DD got burned out visiting and playing for all those teams, LOL. Some kids are really up and gung ho about all that but I imagine some do get burn out. In that case they wouldn't be here to respond to your poll. Smile

I have to say I'm a pretty loyal person. I would not mind DD guesting but only if it did not interfere with her primary team. And I would only change teams for a pretty serious reason. But, I'm also realistic that as we approach Select things can change and she might need a back up plan or two and, if so, I'd like to know her options. So I am always talking to other parents about their team/coach/club. I watch and listen to other coaches at games whenever I can (you can tell a lot that way). I watch the skills of the kids on the team. We've also done skills classes/camps with other clubs/coaches and they will already at least be familiar with DD should we ever need a change and may want her for their team or can make a recommendation on a good fit for her. And we get exposure to other coaches in this way too and have the chance to see if DD likes them (and us as well). So I really like the low key opportunity that camps/skills classes, etc, give us to explore other teams/clubs without feeling like we are "team shopping".

USA203
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 09/03/12, 02:20 pm

USA203 wrote:

Maybe because a reason your DD wouldn't gain valuable knowledge/experience/exposure from this is if the DD got burned out visiting and playing for all those teams, LOL. Some kids are really up and gung ho about all that but I imagine some do get burn out. In that case they wouldn't be here to respond to your poll. Smile

I have to say I'm a pretty loyal person. I would not mind DD guesting but only if it did not interfere with her primary team. And I would only change teams for a pretty serious reason. But, I'm also realistic that as we approach Select things can change and she might need a back up plan or two and, if so, I'd like to know her options. So I am always talking to other parents about their team/coach/club. I watch and listen to other coaches at games whenever I can (you can tell a lot that way). I watch the skills of the kids on the team. We've also done skills classes/camps with other clubs/coaches and they will already at least be familiar with DD should we ever need a change and may want her for their team or can make a recommendation on a good fit for her. And we get exposure to other coaches in this way too and have the chance to see if DD likes them (and us as well). So I really like the low key opportunity that camps/skills classes, etc, give us to explore other teams/clubs without feeling like we are "team shopping".

As long as you know the loyalty is a one way street. If your DD stops contributing or he finds someone better she loses playtime. Also, the other parents aren't going to be loyal to you. If they find a better opportunity they are gone, same with the coach. Your loyalty should be 100% to your DD, not the club, coach, team, or other parents.

Saying your team, coach, star players won't do what is best for them is ignorant.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 09/03/12, 02:26 pm

coachr wrote:
butt3r wrote:

Jjmilk, don't let but butter talk down to you. I doubt he/she even has any kids. Buttbutter is the kind of person that is jealous of winners and prob is a 40 yr old virg.

I'm not 40!
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 09/03/12, 02:36 pm

butt3r wrote:
coachr wrote:

I'm not 40!

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by USA203 09/03/12, 03:36 pm

As long as you know the loyalty is a one way street. If your DD stops contributing or he finds someone better she loses playtime. Also, the other parents aren't going to be loyal to you. If they find a better opportunity they are gone, same with the coach. Your loyalty should be 100% to your DD, not the club, coach, team, or other parents.

Yup, I know. And I've seen some things happen to various friends. But if she changes teams it would be the same way on that other team. If she's a decent player and wants to play hard, there will be a team out there for her somewhere but I'm not looking for "making D1" or a specific high goal like that so it may be different for me/us. If things change and she goes back to rec, that's fine too. Just no cheerleading!!!

USA203
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next