North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX?

Go down

Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX? Empty Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX?

Post by Guest 13/08/12, 07:32 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like just about every team is looking for players?
Most of the larger clubs have several teams with in the club that are looking for players or there are smaller clubs looking for players? I do not know if this is a good or bad problem. It just seems like supply is exceeding demand.

Back to top Go down

Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX? Empty Re: Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX?

Post by Guest 13/08/12, 08:39 pm

skeets00g wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like just about every team is looking for players?
Most of the larger clubs have several teams with in the club that are looking for players or there are smaller clubs looking for players? I do not know if this is a good or bad problem. It just seems like supply is exceeding demand.

Perhaps you mean demand is exceeding supply.

Back to top Go down

Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX? Empty Re: Are there too many teams/clubs in NTX?

Post by ClubDD95/00 13/08/12, 08:47 pm

To answer your question YES. Select means nothing in NTX. If you can pay you can play select soccer. Club, coaches,and parents are all at fault for this. Just my opinion.
ClubDD95/00
ClubDD95/00
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 13/08/12, 08:58 pm

Agreed. Forget whether rosters are full. Go see some of them play Rolling Eyes
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by jae 13/08/12, 09:24 pm

Xara wrote:
skeets00g wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like just about every team is looking for players?

Any supply-demand imbalance will be temporary. If there are not enough buyers/consumers for the supply available, either the price will fall (ain't gonna happen since they charge the same price for all, sans scholarship) or supply will disappear (i.e., teams will fold). Buyers/consumers (i.e., parents) are much more at fault than clubs/teams for the supply-demand imbalance since increasing number of parents are willing to pay the academy/select price, Clubs/teams will continue to increase supply as long as demand is there and marginal revenue is higher than marginal cost (which it is). Isn't free market great? If clubs/teams are really smart and want to get the maximum number of buyers, they will charge different prices for varying levels of commitment/skills/competition--highest for most competitive (best coaches, more practices, more tournaments, extras like nutrition/endurance, etc.) and lowest for least competitive (almost like rec but with the "brand" name).

jae
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/08/12, 09:53 pm

jae wrote:
Xara wrote:

Any supply-demand imbalance will be temporary. If there are not enough buyers/consumers for the supply available, either the price will fall (ain't gonna happen since they charge the same price for all, sans scholarship) or supply will disappear (i.e., teams will fold). Buyers/consumers (i.e., parents) are much more at fault than clubs/teams for the supply-demand imbalance since increasing number of parents are willing to pay the academy/select price, Clubs/teams will continue to increase supply as long as demand is there and marginal revenue is higher than marginal cost (which it is). Isn't free market great? If clubs/teams are really smart and want to get the maximum number of buyers, they will charge different prices for varying levels of commitment/skills/competition--highest for most competitive (best coaches, more practices, more tournaments, extras like nutrition/endurance, etc.) and lowest for least competitive (almost like rec but with the "brand" name).

Already happens here in NTX. Ask around, the clubs know how to work it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hootna 14/08/12, 08:25 am

There are to many clubs it costs to much money and my DD new FC Dallas jersey is sporting some god awful looking sponsor on the front of one of the Jersey's and think we pay more for the uniforms now. NTX soccer is a money making machine. Oh well complaining does no good I pay my blood money and sit on the sidelines cheering like the rest.
Hootna
Hootna
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 14/08/12, 08:33 am

Bold Prediction: Ballhead will probably be on here in the next few minutes getting all weepy because I’m getting ready to use the words “big clubs”.

We do have too many teams here in NTX. We’re using a very loose definition for the word “Select” when we call this “Select Soccer”. Is this really select when a team has to take every player that shows up for their tryouts in order to fill their roster? Are we really “select” or are we really only proving that we will pay for things that others couldn’t or wouldn’t?

This market DOES correct itself but the unfortunate part about that is the corrections usually cost us the smaller clubs and independents. It is the smaller organizations that vanish. The big clubs have the volume to withstand the market corrections.

Last year the Liverpool website listed ten (10) ’03 Girls squads. That is 10 squads in just one (1) club alone. I couldn’t keep track of them all with their weird naming convention. There were so many I didn’t know how to differentiate them. With that many squads in a small geographic area, that negatively impacts the neighboring smaller clubs as well as the Rec associations.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 14/08/12, 08:54 am

imho, by u15 if my dd was playing below d2 lh (possibly d1?) i would have her play rec or form a team of similiar level players and play for free in d3 or ppl. The lessons that come from team sports can be learned at little/no cost, and the chances of d3 and below players playing in college won't increase because of their club affiliation.
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/08/12, 03:27 pm

Always in interesting discussion; some version of which gets started a couple times a year.

I’ve only been in ntx for 5 years and had kids in rec, academy, and select over that time. i don't know when or how it got so out of hand, but do agree the situation is not good.

I can't necessarily agree that it will ever correct itself. The situation is so dynamic with no specific root cause or driving factor to be controlled.

Are the weak rec leagues the cause or the victim? Sadly, rec is now only for toddlers, or unathletic older kids coached by dads. (Please don't throw the Alex Morgan example back at me as it is completely not relevant to ntx). I think the only thing to end this trend is to make rec free and allow club kids to play for extra touches, but clearly we can see what a fiasco that would be.

Are the big clubs the problem or are they just going with the flow? If kids keep showing up and paying the bill, even though they’re not club material, they’ll take the money. If the low talent pool actually weakened the club I think it would stop, but all the big clubs still have top teams to carry their reputations in the area, the state, and even nationally. And the abundance of leagues keeps providing a place for the weaker teams to play at the expense of the rec programs.

And what about the small clubs and indys? Well it’s the American entrepreneurial spirit I guess that motivates others that they have a better way. And if they can find kids, train kids, and win games, they’ll stay motivated. My 02 plays for a small club and they just qualified LH D1 so that just perpetuates the motivation for others out there that it can be done.

As a contrasting example, my 00 is trying out for one of the few lacrosse clubs in the metroplex in a few weeks. The pool of quality select level coaches and teams is very small even though the player demand is growing. The team just finished 2nd in a national tournament in Denver and is not looking for players just to grow the club with weaker talent. The tryout costs $50 with no guarantees she’ll get a spot. Now that is “select”.

Like it or not, I’m afraid our soccer system is here to stay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/08/12, 03:54 pm

DrSoccer wrote:imho, by u15 if my dd was playing below d2 lh (possibly d1?) i would have her play rec or form a team of similiar level players and play for free in d3 or ppl. The lessons that come from team sports can be learned at little/no cost, and the chances of d3 and below players playing in college won't increase because of their club affiliation.

I completely agree. There are really only a small group of truly select players out there and you will find those on ECNL and the top of D1 teams. If my kid gets to U13 or so and is not on a D1 team, them we will go back to REC for the smaller fees as well. With so many clubs, too many parents want to convince themselves and their daughters that they are select level players, when they really are not.

When I was playing as a U12 or so kid, I had to tryout for a team with over 100 other kids for only 15 spots on the team. That does not happen very often in North Texas because there are so many clubs. But, if you made that team, it meant something.

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 16/08/12, 04:15 pm

Forget all the supply demand stuff. Somewhere "rec" became a dirty word in the minds of soccer parents, and everyone started running for select. Now "select" is becoming the dirty word, and ECNL is where it's at. If ECNL continues to expand, I can see select being what rec is now in the minds of soccer parents, and they will bar no expense in the quest to get Suzy on the U-13 ECNL team.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBoy 16/08/12, 04:38 pm

bobmac15 wrote:Always in interesting discussion; some version of which gets started a couple times a year.

I’ve only been in ntx for 5 years and had kids in rec, academy, and select over that time. i don't know when or how it got so out of hand, but do agree the situation is not good.

I can't necessarily agree that it will ever correct itself. The situation is so dynamic with no specific root cause or driving factor to be controlled.

Are the weak rec leagues the cause or the victim? Sadly, rec is now only for toddlers, or unathletic older kids coached by dads. (Please don't throw the Alex Morgan example back at me as it is completely not relevant to ntx). I think the only thing to end this trend is to make rec free and allow club kids to play for extra touches, but clearly we can see what a fiasco that would be.

Are the big clubs the problem or are they just going with the flow? If kids keep showing up and paying the bill, even though they’re not club material, they’ll take the money. If the low talent pool actually weakened the club I think it would stop, but all the big clubs still have top teams to carry their reputations in the area, the state, and even nationally. And the abundance of leagues keeps providing a place for the weaker teams to play at the expense of the rec programs.

And what about the small clubs and indys? Well it’s the American entrepreneurial spirit I guess that motivates others that they have a better way. And if they can find kids, train kids, and win games, they’ll stay motivated. My 02 plays for a small club and they just qualified LH D1 so that just perpetuates the motivation for others out there that it can be done.

As a contrasting example, my 00 is trying out for one of the few lacrosse clubs in the metroplex in a few weeks. The pool of quality select level coaches and teams is very small even though the player demand is growing. The team just finished 2nd in a national tournament in Denver and is not looking for players just to grow the club with weaker talent. The tryout costs $50 with no guarantees she’ll get a spot. Now that is “select”.

Like it or not, I’m afraid our soccer system is here to stay.

Hey...you forgot Alex Morgan?!?!

Guys....its a money grab. But do you find fault with the clubs for building a business? I dont. And, every now and then along the way a kid or 2 ends up being pretty good and getting to move up and play at really high levels.

My girlie is u18 now, but when we were playing back in SDL and PAL, I remember thinking back to my childhood (you know...late 70s, early 80s...when there was maybe 3 or 4 select teams in DALLAS for boys) that unless you were the BOMB you werent "select" quality. I didnt think my kid had "it". So, we powered down some....then she was asked to play indoor with a team that went to the QT and got into DI. Needless to say I was hooked and booked, but then we got relegated to DII after 18 months in DI, and you know....THERE WAS NO WAY WE WERE PLAYING IN DII. Well...we did. Had a pretty good coach, the moved teams in DII and had a pretty darn good coach that was replaced by a pretty darn good coach. The girls were developing and playing ok. as they got older...1 by 1, some of the girls got picked off by top teams in DI, PL, and eventually they moved to ECNL. My girlie was lucky enough to be one of them. Shes going to play college ball.

The moral to this story is....the machine is the machine.....use the machine to your benefit, or dont, but always know....its a machine, so theres no use in hating it.
BigBoy
BigBoy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 16/08/12, 04:41 pm

RLW, So you think there are about 100 or 120 truly select players per age group in the Metroplex Population of 6.5 million (plus also Lubbock, Amarillo, Waco, Midland, east TX and other locations that have teams trying to qualify for Classic League)?

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down