North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Items not included in the basic equipment Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Items not included in the basic equipment

Go down

Items not included in the basic equipment Empty Items not included in the basic equipment

Post by fhjmom 23/10/12, 12:49 pm

Another thread which mentioned a referee requiring players to remove ankle braces got me to wondering about a situation we may potentially face on the pitch one of these days. My daughters both wear hearing aids and need them to be able to hear and understand their team mates and coaches on the field. Even with the aids, they are still at a disadvantage in being able to hear verbal instructions and at times do not hear a whistle because of the high pitch. Though uncommon, I have read of players with hearing loss being required to removed their hearing aids because a ref has deemed them to be a "danger to the player" because they are not made of a soft material. I do agree that the aids could cause more damage than the ball alone if one of my girls were to be struck in the side of the head/ear, but that is a risk we are willing to take in order for them to have better access to on-the-field communication. We also realize that there is a chance the aids may get broken, but our position is that the aids should help provide better opportunities for the girls, not hold them back or limit them, so again it is a risk we are willing to take. I never want them to feel like they can't do something "because it might hurt their hearing aids".

So, if we are ever in that situation where a ref deems one of the girl's aids unsafe, any advice? Is there such a thing as getting them approved by the league or something prior to the season and do you think it necessary (I kind of think it is overkill, but would hate for a DD to sit out a game or be forced to play without her aids). I am really more interested in just a "what if" discussion from those less attached to the situation than I am because frankly, I would probably have to work really hard to not get tossed if a ref told us one of the girls had to take off their aids. If I already had some valid, non-emotional responses in my back pocket, that would help.

BTW, it is interesting to me that in Deaf soccer matches, hearing aids and cochlear implant processors are usually prohibited altogether.

My girls are currently playing academy and rec and it has never been an issue, but as we move into select, it seems there are more stories like the one I mentioned above where the ref made the girls take off needed protection/support. Thoughts?

fhjmom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Items not included in the basic equipment Empty Re: Items not included in the basic equipment

Post by Antipelagian 23/10/12, 01:20 pm

Have you looked into concussion head gear? I know the gel caps strap over the ears and the skull caps (used in just about every sport) may offer protection but may also impair the hearing aid.
Antipelagian
Antipelagian
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Dante's 6th Concentric Circle of Hell drinking brown liquor from a dirty glass with a signifying monkey

Back to top Go down

Items not included in the basic equipment Empty Re: Items not included in the basic equipment

Post by Slakemoth 23/10/12, 01:22 pm

interesting question.... My gut tells me most referees would let the girls play with them in, but it is probably only a matter of time until they are asked to take them off by some referees. Many leagues will make the girls remove earrings and other such jewelry to prevent damage to the ears (and rightly so). No doubt that a ball to your daughter's hearing aid could cause some damage... both to her ear and the device itself. I think the girls should probably be prepared to play without them if/when they go select.

I have a friend that played with the US national deaf soccer team... I might see what his experience has been. ( he could hear fine, but each team is allowed to have one or two players that can hear to help facilitate team communication).

http://www.usdeafsoccer.com/

found this on their website:

Deafness is a hidden 'disability'. In sports such as soccer, players face certain hidden disadvantages, such as not being able to hear their coach's instructions during a game, a referee's decision or the roar of the crowd. Because deaf soccer players compete regularly against their hearing peers, these aspects of the game taken for granted, can make a difference during the course of a match.

Under international criteria, to be eligible to compete in deaf soccer competitions, players must have an average hearing loss of 55 Decibels or more in the best ear. All players competing in deaf matches must remove all hearing aids before playing which creates another obstacle to overcome, balance - another important advantage for a hearing player.
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fhjmom 23/10/12, 01:59 pm

I have seen them but I am not sure they would help with the aids. The fit of most of the ones I have seen actually make me wonder if they wouldn't make the aids more prone to getting knocked off since they fit over the ears in the same space occupied by the aid. I wouldn't want to put aids underneath it because that would cover the mics and also potentially be pretty uncomfortable.

It is something to look closer at though.

ETA: Weird! I hit the quote button and the preivious post showed up for a sec, then disappeared. This was in response to the comment about headgear, obviously.

fhjmom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder 23/10/12, 02:08 pm

Really a good question. As a Ref, I say the same goes for eye glasses. And eye glasses are very common. The kids play with glasses and the few times I have noticed players with hearing aids, I have not even thought twice about them. Let em play...

I remember one boy with hearing aids tearing up the futsol league at Sportplex last winter..
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fhjmom 23/10/12, 02:16 pm

My DD's were following the Deaf WNT this past summer during their World Cup tournament! It is older DD's goal to play for them someday. Smile I understand not wearing hearing technology when playing with an all Deaf team, but when everyone else on the field is hearing...

I agree about the earrings. As a former athletic trainer, I have dug out studs embedded in players earlobes, posts impaled into the side of their head, and taped up torn out holes more than once. IMHO, players should never enter the pitch with any kind of earring in, even in practice. I just shook my head on Saturday when a player on the team younger DD was playing had on huge (for a 5 yo) hoop earrings and wore them the entire game. Since there is no ref at that age and the coach didn't address it, nothing was done about it.

fhjmom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDDRedux 23/10/12, 03:48 pm

Refs always tried to get me to remove my cup but then they realized that weren't no cup atall
DoubleDDRedux
DoubleDDRedux
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down