North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Big club vs. Small club - a firestarter Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Big club vs. Small club - a firestarter

Go down

Big club vs. Small club - a firestarter Empty Big club vs. Small club - a firestarter

Post by 10sDad 20/05/13, 11:53 am

Playing for "Big" clubs generally costs more than playing for "Small" clubs. But what do you get for that extra money? Is is worthwhile? We are a soccer household, so multiple kids = multiple players, some big club, some small club. During some down time between games this weekend, I pondered this subject, and figured it would be good fodder for a TXSoccer debate...just trying to give my twisted advice to folks on the fence.. Twisted Evil seriously, though, its up to the parent as to what environment works best for the kid...both have positives, and negatives.

1. Coach Names - bigger names in big clubs, definitely. You can say your kid plays for Coach X, who used to play professionally. OK..small club may have a parent coach, who may or may not have even played in their youth. Of course, playing professionally does not mean you can coach - especially kids, and I have seen a couple of very good parent coaches...so that's kindof a wash...it varies too much by individual team to be a valid generalization. No substitute for checking out the coach/team thoroughly before signing.
2. Access to Coach - Stud coach in high demand is just that. Sure your kid plays for him/her, but...do they show up 10 seconds before game time (if at all), miss practices, miss games due to conflicts with other teams? If a practice gets cancelled, does it get made-up or rescheduled? Do you know their assistants more than the coach? You are paying for this coach - shouldn't he/she be coaching your kid? I have to give the advantage to the small club here.
3. Recruiting - Big clubs are better at recruiting...period. If you want your DD surrounded by good players, this is a good thing. Flip-side is that a growth spurt or significant injury and the 6 months of getting the coordination back may make a temporary bench assignment permanent on a big club.
4. Access to guest players - Advantage? (if you see it as one) to the big club. Big clubs are not shy about stacking teams with guest players from their top teams to "assist" their lower level teams to get results. That gets the lower level teams some hardware now and then, which assists in recruiting and morale, but is not necessarily earned. It can be pretty hollow to a 8-10 yr old to win a tournament championship game with guest players against a better team, only to meet the same team in a league game a few weeks later and get creamed. The kids know why, the parents usually don't, and then yell at their kids the whole way home about how they can beat that team cuz they have before.
5. Development - This really depends on what your dd needs. I find that small clubs develop skills better, but big clubs develop game strategy better. This could be a result of the recruiting aspect, as if you recruit all the skilled players, you don't have to teach skills as much and have more time for strategy.
6. Recruiting vs. Development - This is always a touchy subject. Small clubs get whatever scraps are left over after the big clubs have had their pick of the litter. As such, small clubs must develop more just to stay competitive. If a player is not progressing on a big club, they get the bench, demotion ("better fit for her playing style") to the B or C team, whatever - but they can still pay to wear the uniform. A small club will have more patience, and devote more time to a player to improve their skills - if a player is still not progressing on a small club, they usually stop coming to practice and just vanish.
7. Exposure - this is a big advantage to a big club. Big clubs have worked hard to build contacts and relationships with college coaches, as well as a reputation as a quality program. A recommendation from a stud coach on a big club, can get a college recruiter to a game to watch your dd play. Small clubs do not have that network, and the player and parents have to rely on persistence to achieve the same result.
8. Inter-club politics - this is a big advantage to the small club. Need I go into detail? If your dd happens to go to nationals with the Texans, be prepared for the "Hassan bill". Yes, he goes to Nationals, flies First Class (not with the team), stays in 5-star hotels (not with the team), attends the tournament (he might come watch a game), and eats like a king (not with the team). He expects the parents of the team(s) representing the Texans at nationals to pick up the tab, above and beyond their dues, and its not optional. But, his strategy and business model acquired the best talent for the team that made it to Nationals, so I guess maybe you are paying for that. I guess if you are cool with that, then no problem.
9. Preferential treatment - yes, big clubs get it. With my kids, I have been on both sides of this, and yes, sir...it does exist. Big clubs get: preferential seeding in tournaments, extended deadlines and such from leagues and tournaments (we will work with you), preferential treatment by A&D, preferential treatment from referees (some intentionally (grr!!) and some just assume that a big club is more skilled than a small club from the uniform only and it affects their calls from the outset). Basically, a big club is BIG (lots of teams) - alienating a big club from your tournament means your tournament will die...period.
10. Practice facilities - Advantage to the big clubs here (but only if you are on the A team). Practice facilites have lights, don't close for a drizzle, and some big clubs even have affiliations with indoor facilities if the practice facility is closed. Small clubs practice at city parks. nuff said. Now, going back to coach access, practices are much more easily made up due to cancellation with the small club, because the coach is more available. Small clubs will catch up a bit in the fall, but then fall a little behind in the spring due to lack of adequate practice facilities (lights/weather) during the winter months.
11. Parent/player atmosphere - Big advantage to the small club. A "project player" does not exist on a big club. When they do, the player and parents of said player are not included in the group, because nobody wants to get close to someone that will be gone soon anyway. People are nice, but only because that player is not a threat to their kids position/playing time. On a big club, the parents of 2 kids competing for the same position will be cordial with each other, but will point out each mistake the other kid makes to anyone on the team that will listen. These parents also try very hard to take leadership positions on the team (social coordinator, treasurer, manager, etc.) in the hopes that their efforts will be rewarded with more playing time (or a guaranteed roster spot) for their kid. Small clubs have more of the rec atmosphere, where most people know each other personally, and genuinely like the other family regardless of soccer. A small club sideline will cheer like a goal has been scored when a project player actually heads the ball the right direction for a change. Team effort and individual effort is rewarded more than results - big clubs are about results. It just is was it is.

I am sure this stirred the pot a bit Evil or Very Mad ...so let's have some fun!! It will fill the week with soccer until Memorial Day tournaments anyway...
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down