North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Question of the Day Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Question of the Day

Go down

Is it important for girls to bond off the field?

Question of the Day Vote_lcap27%Question of the Day Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 13 ]
Question of the Day Vote_lcap4%Question of the Day Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Question of the Day Vote_lcap63%Question of the Day Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 30 ]
Question of the Day Vote_lcap6%Question of the Day Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 48
Back

Question of the Day Empty Question of the Day

Post by InaB 06/06/13, 09:31 am

I am wondering how much influence girl's bonding away from the pitch has on how well they play together on the pitch. My personal belief is that while boys don't require (or want) to be best buds with their team mates, it is an important factor in ensuring the longevity of a girl's team. I don't necessarily think that the team must be one huge hug factory, but I do think that getting along and trust go hand in hand.

My question is, can there be too much bonding, specifically in cliques. Can a small band of "sisters" make it more difficult for a team as a whole to fuse as one on the field? Do power groups form that make it difficult for team members in general to work together? Do small bonded groups tend to work more with each other and less with the "team?"

Your thoughts? Smile
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Question of the Day Empty Re: Question of the Day

Post by a-nonny-moose 06/06/13, 09:44 am

Girls must "like" each other in order to play "together". Girls that are not friends will not play together, they will play around each other, never becoming a cohesive unit. The truly great teams are the ones where the girls enjoy each other both on and off of the field.

Girls who form small "clicks" will deflect any attempts by others to join in. Also, the girls who form these small tight friendships are very insecure. They will run off potential players because they feel threatened.

a-nonny-moose
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 06/06/13, 09:59 am

I agree Nonny.
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/06/13, 10:45 am

It's important but you can't artificially manufacture it and you can't fake it. Teammate loyalty and trust is earned. Earning it is the hard part.

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 07/06/13, 03:05 pm

Very true Gumby. However, it can be nurtured. We had a totally new mix of girls come together this last season - kind of a start over from a start over. As parents, we put together team bonding experiences for the girls. Our first one was at a facility out near Frisco where they went through team building exercises together. We also set up the team to be ball girls at a UNT Women's soccer match. And we all went as a group to an FC Dallas professional soccer game.

I wouldn't say that this type of thing easily translates to trust on the field, but I think it helped.
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by midfieldersdad 07/06/13, 09:05 pm

I tell my player to be professional, we may not always like people with whom we work, if you do find friends with whom you like to play, bonus! You still have a job to do, so do it well.
midfieldersdad
midfieldersdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 07/06/13, 10:29 pm

Hi Mid, on many levels I would agree with you. But being a woman, I also recognize that women (regardless of age) want to be liked. That is always a problem for us. My son has best buds, but he never felt the need to "bond." He could go out on the field and play football, slap high fives and finish the game and go. He never worried about anyone liking him - it really never entered his head. My DD on the other hand, wants to at least get along with everyone.

I do think the best of all worlds for girls is to be able to be business like in playing. Unfortunately, in my experience that rarely, completely happens.

I would be happy to pay you to come teach my DD how to do be that way though. cheers
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by 00scrmom 08/06/13, 11:54 am

InaB wrote:I am wondering how much influence girl's bonding away from the pitch has on how well they play together on the pitch. My personal belief is that while boys don't require (or want) to be best buds with their team mates, it is an important factor in ensuring the longevity of a girl's team. I don't necessarily think that the team must be one huge hug factory, but I do think that getting along and trust go hand in hand.

My question is, can there be too much bonding, specifically in cliques. Can a small band of "sisters" make it more difficult for a team as a whole to fuse as one on the field? Do power groups form that make it difficult for team members in general to work together? Do small bonded groups tend to work more with each other and less with the "team?"

Your thoughts? Smile

IMO and experience....Yes,small "cliques" can distrupt the cohesiveness of a team. I do not believe they all have to be "best" friends but they do have at least have the respect and trust for each other.

I second what mid said about the professionalism. We all know you wont get along with everyone in life but when you have to work with them you have to show a level of professionalism to get the job done. Personalities will clash and opinions will differ but if you can get past that and learn to respect someone for those differences then the goal can be acheived.

Howevah....teenage girls is whole different story. Hormones kick in, personalities change by the fleeting second. It's like an episode of The Exorcist! But I really dislike it when I hear people say, and I've heard this from coaches, teachers and parents, "girl's are caddy theres nothing you can do". Whether it be true or not, don't accept it just because its viewed as the norm, address it if it's a problem! Break up the cliques during practices, make them sit alone in a corner and have them talk about why they don't like each other. Heck, I don't have the right answer, its just bugs me when it's ignored or accepted as is.

With that said though and I agree with your response to mid it'd be great if they could all work like that...heck, it'd be a Christmas miracle!! santa

In the words of Rodney King..."Can't we all get along"! Human nature says no but dang we can at least try!

Last edited by 00scrmom on 08/06/13, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar fix to correctly change the meaning of the sentence!)
00scrmom
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Antipelagian 08/06/13, 12:34 pm

Chicks is crazy
Antipelagian
Antipelagian
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Dante's 6th Concentric Circle of Hell drinking brown liquor from a dirty glass with a signifying monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by midfieldersdad 10/06/13, 02:58 pm

InaB wrote:Hi Mid, on many levels I would agree with you. But being a woman, I also recognize that women (regardless of age) want to be liked. That is always a problem for us. My son has best buds, but he never felt the need to "bond." He could go out on the field and play football, slap high fives and finish the game and go. He never worried about anyone liking him - it really never entered his head. My DD on the other hand, wants to at least get along with everyone.

I do think the best of all worlds for girls is to be able to be business like in playing. Unfortunately, in my experience that rarely, completely happens.

I would be happy to pay you to come teach my DD how to do be that way though. cheers

Ina, you are absolutely correct, boys do not seem concerned about whether the other players like them. They do tend to avoid drama, and that is an excellent example to provide to my DD, of course when I mention her older brother soccer days she just rolls her eyes and sighs, "whatever".
Rolling Eyes
I am trying to help my player overlook the contentious nature of competition so she can focus on her abilities and not the drama. Which isn't always easy. Luckiy my DD has a very good professional relationship with her teammates, and while she may not spend time with them off of the the field, she genuinely respects her mates for their abilities on the field and does consider them friends. With my older daughter it was a little more difficult because she seemed to enjoy the drama.

My older daughter and I came across this Family Guy episode and I found a scene that oversimplifies the issue but is hilarious nonetheless.

midfieldersdad
midfieldersdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 10/06/13, 03:13 pm

LLLLLOOOOVVVVVEEEEE it Dad!
InaB
InaB