North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Legality of a Select Contract Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Legality of a Select Contract

Go down

Legality of a Select Contract Empty Legality of a Select Contract

Post by SocDad 13/03/14, 07:44 pm

I am not an expert about going Select (although this website can make one into an Expert lol).....

I was wondering about the legality of having minors sign contracts.  As it has been expressed to me, when your DD goes Select, they sign a contract...that states in theses similar terms:
1.  Contract for 11 months
2.  Financially liable for the cost whether she gets play time or not
3.  DD cannot play for another team unless get a waiver
4.  Coach/Club does not have to grant a waiver to play for another team
I'm sure there are way more than those listed above....but those are the big ticket items.

So my questions are why do the courts allow such restrictions on 10 Yr olds?  If a 10/11 yr old makes a bad choice/decision...should they penalized for an entire year?

Is it like the NFL or other major sports program that have kinda thier own legal system? And unless there is a violation of crime, assualt etc etc etc.....the court system stays out of it?

I know outside of NTXSoccer, there are a ton of restrictions concerning minors and them entering binding contracts.....so i was just wondering.
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Legality of a Select Contract Empty Re: Legality of a Select Contract

Post by Noob 13/03/14, 08:23 pm

The contract is not between the club and the minor. The contract is between the adult and the club on behalf of services to be provided to the minor.

Noob
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/03/14, 08:27 pm

Parents sign the contract too, the minors signature means nothing. When Kobe Bryant joined the Lakers he was 17, his parents signed the contract.

Back to top Go down

Post by Packrabbit 13/03/14, 08:30 pm

They're binding.

The parents sign the contract. Rest assured, the club isn't expecting Little Mia to pay for their services.

If a coach accepts a player from another team to practice or to play a game without a waiver, he/she is subject to sanctions as well.

Section I: The author of this post's above attempts at humor should be viewed and/or criticized for its entertainment value only. Hopefully, no one's feelings or facts were injured during the production of this post.
Section II: The author does not claim to speak intelligently or with authority about ANY posted topic. The author further acknowledges that any information presented is an opinion most likely based on incomplete observations and should not, in form or fashion, be treated as NEWS or FACTS of any type. All information should be questioned, ridiculed and/or discarded, as deemed appropiate by the individual reader
Packrabbit
Packrabbit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 13/03/14, 08:40 pm

Noob wrote:The contract is not between the club and the minor.  The contract is between the adult and the club on behalf of services to be provided to the minor.  

If that would be the case...then the contract is 50/50.....
50% Parents (Financial Obligations)
50% Children (the ones actually play soccer)

It is that part the children playing soccer is what i was wondering about....not the financial obligations.
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 13/03/14, 08:58 pm

SocDad wrote:I am not an expert about going Select (although this website can make one into an Expert lol).....

I was wondering about the legality of having minors sign contracts.  As it has been expressed to me, when your DD goes Select, they sign a contract...that states in theses similar terms:
1.  Contract for 11 months
2.  Financially liable for the cost whether she gets play time or not
3.  DD cannot play for another team unless get a waiver
4.  Coach/Club does not have to grant a waiver to play for another team
I'm sure there are way more than those listed above....but those are the big ticket items.

So my questions are why do the courts allow such restrictions on 10 Yr olds?  If a 10/11 yr old makes a bad choice/decision...should they penalized for an entire year?

Is it like the NFL or other major sports program that have kinda thier own legal system? And unless there is a violation of crime, assualt etc etc etc.....the court system stays out of it?

I know outside of NTXSoccer, there are a ton of restrictions concerning minors and them entering binding contracts.....so i was just wondering.

The restrictions on playing for another team, the playing year, etc. have little to nothing to do with the contract.  Those are NTX Soccer rules.

The contract is primarily a financial instrument to attempt to bind the parents to pay the club.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tschlurker 13/03/14, 09:18 pm

It is not a 50-50 deal.  The kid has zero contractual obligations. It is not like a pro contract requiring the athlete to pay -- the parents have a payment obligation, period.  There is no contractual requirement that the kid practice or go to games, but the parents must still pay, unless they get a release.  By signing the contract, it is the parents who have effectively obligated the kid to that club (and presumably most parents of 10 year olds are helping them make such choices).  The restrictions on team/club/waivers/release/etc. are NTX rules, designed to stifle in-season recruiting and other shenanigans (or at least that is how it works up here).

tschlurker
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SocDad 13/03/14, 09:29 pm

tschlurker wrote:It is not a 50-50 deal.  The kid has zero contractual obligations. It is not like a pro contract requiring the athlete to pay -- the parents have a payment obligation, period.  There is no contractual requirement that the kid practice or go to games, but the parents must still pay, unless they get a release.  By signing the contract, it is the parents who have effectively obligated the kid to that club (and presumably most parents of 10 year olds are helping them make such choices).  The restrictions on team/club/waivers/release/etc. are NTX rules, designed to stifle in-season recruiting and other shenanigans (or at least that is how it works up here).

Ok i get the club contract obligations......I have no problem with that end of it.

So I'll direct my attention to the other question and that is about the waiver to play on other teams.....and the ability of the Club to DENY that waiver.  I can see how shenanigans can occur with out a signed waiver.  But isn't this playing "Keeper of the gate" by the club/coach (no pun intended).

Couldn't playing "keeper of the gate" and not allowing the waiver have shenanigans built in to it?
SocDad
SocDad
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 13/03/14, 09:41 pm

SocDad wrote:
tschlurker wrote:It is not a 50-50 deal.  The kid has zero contractual obligations. It is not like a pro contract requiring the athlete to pay -- the parents have a payment obligation, period.  There is no contractual requirement that the kid practice or go to games, but the parents must still pay, unless they get a release.  By signing the contract, it is the parents who have effectively obligated the kid to that club (and presumably most parents of 10 year olds are helping them make such choices).  The restrictions on team/club/waivers/release/etc. are NTX rules, designed to stifle in-season recruiting and other shenanigans (or at least that is how it works up here).

Ok i get the club contract obligations......I have no problem with that end of it.

So I'll direct my attention to the other question and that is about the waiver to play on other teams.....and the ability of the Club to DENY that waiver.  I can see how shenanigans can occur with out a signed waiver.  But isn't this playing "Keeper of the gate" by the club/coach (no pun intended).

Couldn't playing "keeper of the gate" and not allowing the waiver have shenanigans built in to it?

The possibility of "shenanigans" exists on both sides, parents and clubs, and over the years, I've seen plenty of both. However, there is an appeal process through NTX should the club coach refuse to sign a release.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/03/14, 10:06 pm

While it is true that the club can deny the release to another competitive team (you can always get a release back to rec), on the other side of the fence, the club can NOT just cut your kid mid-year and replace them with another kid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 13/03/14, 10:07 pm

1.  Contract for 11 months (quote)

July 1st to June 30th actually, stop the myth that it is eleven months

Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Oscar 14/03/14, 12:32 pm

Fun facts:

1. You can quit at anytime and pay the club nothing. Of course all coaches talk, and you will have a black cloud that follows you just as you would if you stiffed your credit card company and applied for a new line of credit. However, the club will seldom come after you for the money.

2. You can ask for a release at anytime and North Texas will grant it to you. It will be a recreational release, but you can still practice and guest play in tournaments with other select teams since you are officially out of contract.

3. The playing year as defined on the contract is from July 1st to June 30th (12 months). In June you are able to start practicing with other teams. It is considered a free month. You cannot guest play unless your coach gives you a guest release. If your coach will not give you one, you can ask North Texas to grant you a guest release and they will generally grant it to you.

4. There is nothing in your select contract that is legal. Likewise you are not entitled to take legal action against it, nor will your club take legal action against you. It is an acknowledgement that you understand the rules that allow your daughter to play select soccer in North Texas. If you choose not to follow the rules you jeopardize being able to participate. Know the rules.

Oscar
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 14/03/14, 01:16 pm

Just like everything else in select soccer, it is all political. The only part of the contract that would actually hold up in court is the financial obligations...that said, it costs more for the club to hire a lawyer to sue you than they would get from forcing you to pay, especially when most clubs get at least a significant portion of the money on signing day.

If you are not sold on your club at the time you are presented the contract, or you are really put off by the "no playing for other teams" stuff, it sounds as though you are not in the right place.

True, a coach can deny a guest release or a transfer. If you ask for a guest release, be prepared to not have a contract next year with your current club. If you ask for a transfer, the coach can also deny it. You can fight this by appealing to NTX soccer, and if your case meets certain criteria, they can approve the transfer - note, this takes months and hearings, and by the time its all said and done with, its usually time for a new contract anyway, and your dd now has the black cloud as referenced by a previous poster.

My recommendation to you is...if you find out after signing (fall season) that its a bad situation, just work it out with the coach that you stop paying and stop attending practices and games for the rest of fall season. During the winter break, quietly get a rec release, and start attending other practices and tournaments with other teams in the spring. Don't worry about missing the regular season games. Then sign with a new team the following July.
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 14/03/14, 01:26 pm

fun fact. The only contract that matters is the one with NTX soccer that locks you in to a competitive roster. Not the one between you and your club.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Oscar 14/03/14, 01:28 pm

Agree with both. Sound advice from 10s, and true statement from go99.

Oscar
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph FC 14/03/14, 06:00 pm

Armanji wrote:Fun facts:  

1. You can quit at anytime and pay the club nothing. Of course all coaches talk, and you will have a black cloud that follows you just as you would if you stiffed your credit card company and applied for a new line of credit.   However, the club will seldom come after you for the money.

2. You can ask for a release at anytime and North Texas will grant it to you.  It will be a recreational release, but you can still practice and guest play in tournaments with other select teams since you are officially out of contract.

3.  The playing year as defined on the contract is from July 1st to June 30th (12 months).  In June you are able to start practicing with other teams.  It is considered a free month.  You cannot guest play unless your coach gives you a guest release.   If your coach will not give you one, you can ask North Texas to grant you a guest release and they will generally grant it to you.

4.  There is nothing in your select contract that is legal.  Likewise you are not entitled to take legal action against it, nor will your club take legal action against you.  It is an acknowledgement that you understand the rules that allow your daughter to play select soccer in North Texas.  If you choose not to follow the rules you jeopardize being able to participate.   Know the rules.

1 Not True
2 True
3 True
4 Not True. Been to court and it is a legally binding contract
Triumph FC
Triumph FC
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

http://www.triumphfc.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content