North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

A Request to all coaches/teams Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

A Request to all coaches/teams

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Request to all coaches/teams Empty A Request to all coaches/teams

Post by InaB 05/06/14, 08:15 am

Dear coaches and teams,

I wanted to pass this word of advice on to you. I know how busy this time of year becomes. I also know that you may look at a large number of players who come through the open practices. However, it would really benefit you and your team if you communicate thoroughly with those players.

These young ladies come to your team because they are interested. They may or may not be quite what you need. Either way, let them know where they stand. If you don't feel they fit in your organization, let them know and know why (in as nice a way as possible). It is really better for everyone if you do. If you like what you see, let them know and invite them back to another practice. If you aren't sure about them, let them know your concerns and encourage them to come back and show you that they can step up.

Don't keep them hanging on "just in case and then drop them at the last possible moment when someone you think is better shows up." This is a very personal job interview for these girls (as it is for your team). Think about job interviews you have had (especially the bad ones) and try to make this as good of an experience as you can.

I know that most of you know these things, but it is easy to forget when in the midst of looking at players.

Best to everyone in this crazy time.
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

A Request to all coaches/teams Empty Re: A Request to all coaches/teams

Post by s0cc3rdad 05/06/14, 08:27 am

cheers 100% spot on with this post imho.

twitter: @s0cc3rdad
s0cc3rdad
s0cc3rdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

http://sould-out.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 05/06/14, 08:29 am

In the end, isn't that what we look for? So why do so many coaches end up coming off like used car salesmen?
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/06/14, 08:30 am

I agree, but it goes both ways. I suspect there are a lot of parents leading coaches on too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakedad 05/06/14, 08:33 am

Cobra_Kai wrote:I agree, but it goes both ways.  I suspect there are a lot of parents leading coaches on too.

Valid point.
Lakedad
Lakedad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ballhead 05/06/14, 08:37 am

Great idea, hope all these coaches do as you suggest.

I would encourage parents and players be just as honest and upfront with their communications.

Committing to a team while continuing to look for a "better offer" creates a huge mess when signing day rolls around and you let them know you are signing elsewhere (or worse, you don't tell them anything, you just don't show up).  It leads to a lot of last minute scrambling till the dominoes start to fall.

Here's to hoping everyone, coaches and parents alike, take your message to heart. This time of year would be a lot less stressful.
ballhead
ballhead
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 05/06/14, 08:52 am

I too agree. Coaches can be disingenuous...and parents need to see that perspective as well.

Coaches, say what you mean...if there is no room currently, SAY IT! If she is a bubble player, but if she doesn't catch on, you might have room later...SAY it...late in the game, if she hasn't found a home and you get a late drop...it may work out for BOTH.

Parents, remember that when you hear..."I want to see more of her"...it may be that coach wants to see how she will fit in a position that is new to her...put a girl who has played a lot of forward at an outside mid to see if she would capture minutes there, and it may NOT be a string-along, it may be a...let me see if I can get a talented girl minutes...I have a glut of forwards, can she be an attacking mid or fit another role.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 05/06/14, 09:45 am

Great responses, and I agree with parents being honest as well. At one point in my DD's short career in Select, the team she was on had pinned their hopes of a successful season on one forward. The parents had promised the coach that they would sign with our team. The day of signing, they called the coach to say they were on their way. They came and showed the coach a signed contract - with another team. It was a gut wrenching moment for our coach. So, yes, parents should be honest as well.

I believe in keeping commitments myself. I teach my DD the same thing. If you commit to something stand behind it. If you aren't sure you can commit, say that. If you know you won't follow through then be honest and say so. If your word isn't any good then how can you expect people to trust you? I know how hard it is during this time of the year. I feel for everyone involved.

Perhaps we should all check our evasiveness in at the edge of the field and be truthful to each other.

Very Happy 
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/06/14, 10:02 am

Amen! If you don't want a player do the kid the courtesy of saying thanks but you are not a fit, then she can be one step closer to finding her team and enjoying the beautiful game. Man up or woman up and do your job as an a mentor to children....

Back to top Go down

A Request to all coaches/teams Empty A Request to all coaches/teams

Post by 2028 05/06/14, 01:13 pm

InaB wrote:Dear coaches and teams,

I wanted to pass this word of advice on to you. I know how busy this time of year becomes. I also know that you may look at a large number of players who come through the open practices. However, it would really benefit you and your team if you communicate thoroughly with those players.

These young ladies come to your team because they are interested. They may or may not be quite what you need. Either way, let them know where they stand. If you don't feel they fit in your organization, let them know and know why (in as nice a way as possible). It is really better for everyone if you do. If you like what you see, let them know and invite them back to another practice. If you aren't sure about them, let them know your concerns and encourage them to come back and show you that they can step up.

Don't keep them hanging on "just in case and then drop them at the last possible moment when someone you think is better shows up." This is a very personal job interview for these girls (as it is for your team). Think about job interviews you have had (especially the bad ones) and try to make this as good of an experience as you can.

I know that most of you know these things, but it is easy to forget when in the midst of looking at players.

Best to everyone in this crazy time.

Well Said!
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RobMac63 20/06/14, 01:37 am

Nice thread, good positives.

I hope all find a happy home to play.

I'm back to check my own welcome wagon, thanks!

RobMac63
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerislife17 21/06/14, 10:38 am

Amen sister! These are young people with hopes, dreams and feelings, not products.

Soccerislife17
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 21/06/14, 12:43 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:I agree, but it goes both ways.  I suspect there are a lot of parents leading coaches on too.

Every year, every team in every age group there are 2-3 sets of parents who keep teams/coaches hanging on until the last moment before renigging on their commitment and often don't even communicate that they've gone elsewhere. I 100% agree with the op but let's not forget, about 10-15% of parents act in the same manner in being less than straightforward.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/06/14, 09:31 pm

*renege

Back to top Go down

Post by the7wolf 21/06/14, 09:36 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:*renege

Thank you, I have no clue why I typed it the other way!

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

http://www.thewolfandtheshepherd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yankee63 22/06/14, 07:21 am

I agree totally and have always been honest and upfront with the players that tryout for my teams. Unfortunately, that is not always the case with the Parents. I understand that each parent wants the best for their child, but some simple communication and courtesy would go a long way.

All coaches should be honest with their players. Seven players on July 1st does not make a team. If your DD does not get a contract on the first day of tryouts then the coach is not sold on her yet. At that point she should check out all options available. Playing time is also another big issue - why make a team to sit on the bench when there are other teams where she could get 75% or more playing time.

Usually it comes down to the first three days of Tryouts and goes like this;

Day 1 - I can make any team I tryout for!
Day 2 - I might not make this team
Day 3 - Oh crap!! I need to find a team

Good luck to all the players at tryouts this year! I hope every player finds the best situation and team that meets their needs!

Yankee63
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gitrdun1 23/06/14, 08:31 am

My dd experienced this same scenario this year.
Had a d1 offer early but chose to keep practicing @d2 team...then last week get call from d2 coach-no spot.
Past d1 team is full. D2 coach kept saying the things u want to hear and then boom....now we are scrambling to find a new team. Learn from my mistake if the offer is good take the first one u get....Make the coach commit because if u don't they will string u along....remember they are interested more in what's good for them....not what's good for your kid. Good luck to all scrambling this week...especially with the rain...Ug!
gitrdun1
gitrdun1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by HorribleRefsarePeopleToo 02/09/14, 01:07 am

This may not be the exact topic but I wanted to make what I (hope) is a similar point. If you have a team of 9 year old girls playing in a tournament and they make it to the semifinal (5th game in 48 hours)... AND all the girls have played in all the previous 4 games (18 total players showed I believe) it seems strange and somewhat cruel to intentionally not play 3 players.... At all. From my standpoint it's like you chose that game at that tournament to announce to the entire team that these 3 players are not good enough to be here playing. I'm fine with the fact that playing times will vary greatly but if a player or players have no chance of playing tell them the week before, not at the tournament. This event was amazingly embarrassing to my daughter and one of the other 3 players has already quit. To add salt to the wound the coach told them at then end of the game who would not make "silly" substitutions just to be nice. By the way, we lost 2-0. Seems like a flippant, dick move from this coach. I doubt we will be with this team much longer. Hopefully by the time my daughter wakes up tomorrow some of the devastation and embarrassment will have worn off.

HorribleRefsarePeopleToo
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Seven 02/09/14, 05:36 am

HorribleRefsarePeopleToo wrote:This may not be the exact topic but I wanted to make what I (hope) is a similar point.  If you have a team of 9 year old girls playing in a tournament and they make it to the semifinal (5th game in 48 hours)... AND all the girls have played in all the previous 4 games (18 total players showed I believe) it seems strange and somewhat cruel to intentionally not play 3 players.... At all.  From my standpoint it's like you chose that game at that tournament to announce to the entire team that these 3 players are not good enough to be here playing.  I'm fine with the fact that playing times will vary greatly but if a player or players have no chance of playing tell them the week before, not at the tournament.  This event was amazingly embarrassing to my daughter and one of the other 3 players has already quit.  To add salt to the wound the coach told them at then end of the game who would not make "silly" substitutions just to be nice.  By the way, we lost 2-0.  Seems like a flippant, dick move from this coach. I doubt we will be with this team much longer.  Hopefully by the time my daughter wakes up tomorrow some of the devastation and embarrassment will have worn off.

Maybe I am misreading your statement and if so I am sorry, but there is no reason in my opinion to have 18 players on a the roster for U10.
Seven
Seven
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 02/09/14, 07:02 am

100% disagree, that's what rec soccer is for.
HorribleRefsarePeopleToo wrote:This may not be the exact topic but I wanted to make what I (hope) is a similar point.  If you have a team of 9 year old girls playing in a tournament and they make it to the semifinal (5th game in 48 hours)... AND all the girls have played in all the previous 4 games (18 total players showed I believe) it seems strange and somewhat cruel to intentionally not play 3 players.... At all.  From my standpoint it's like you chose that game at that tournament to announce to the entire team that these 3 players are not good enough to be here playing.  I'm fine with the fact that playing times will vary greatly but if a player or players have no chance of playing tell them the week before, not at the tournament.  This event was amazingly embarrassing to my daughter and one of the other 3 players has already quit.  To add salt to the wound the coach told them at then end of the game who would not make "silly" substitutions just to be nice.  By the way, we lost 2-0.  Seems like a flippant, dick move from this coach. I doubt we will be with this team much longer.  Hopefully by the time my daughter wakes up tomorrow some of the devastation and embarrassment will have worn off.

Back to top Go down

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 02/09/14, 07:19 am

18 players for U10 is way to many. If everyone got equal playing time (which wont happen, especially in a semi-final game) that is only 30 min of playing time per player. More likely ~6 girls will get 45-50 minutes and the another 4 will get 35-40 minutes which leaves the other 8 with ~11 min or less of playing time... math doesn't work.

All that being said, 1 game shouldn't shape your decision on what is best for your daughter, what is more important is the quality of the practices and who she is practicing with (Do they challenge her and make her better).
FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by boilerjoe_96 02/09/14, 07:20 am

If you can't tell by watching practice you're dd is 16-18th out of 18 players(way too many for U10 as previously noted).... then you need to take off the 'Lil-Suzie' colored glasses.  You put her in this spot by not seeing the fact she loses all the 50/50's and 1v1's in practice(I would guess).  You, the parent put her in this spot though.  Now be the parent and deal with the consequences.

On the other hand, this most likely was the coaches way to tell those 3 players, its time to move on. Different coaches handle different ways, no way is particularly good to tell a young child they aren't cut out for the team.(but again, you should have seen this coming)

Find her a team she can play on, I agree she needs to play, no matter what level it is.
boilerjoe_96
boilerjoe_96
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 02/09/14, 07:43 am

Okay it is time for the kid to learn that nobody owes you playtime, it should be earned. When you are on the field you should feel "I did this" not mom and dad, or "uncle" coach, or chrity workers. I hope she does feel embarrassed and hopefully angry. Doesn't matter if she player, only matters what her response is this week in practice. FIGHT BACK. take your time and if the other kids are just too good then drop down a level
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 02/09/14, 08:24 am

HorribleRef...

Going to go a slightly different direction here... Before you posted, did you check to see that there was only one U10 girls semifinal in the entire tournament that had a 2-0 score?

So now, you have publicly outed the coach who did this and told everyone that he made a "a dick move", and by identifying your DD as one of the three who sat and saying that one already quit the team, you've given the coach and every parent a 50/50 guess as to who you are. Guessing that the other family is going to be very quick to vehemently deny posting on here.

Should be a fun sideline for you at practice this week...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 02/09/14, 08:32 am

I assume the parents were already talking about his DD, way before this situation occurred.

Last edited by Cobra_Kai on 02/09/14, 08:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next