North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

BURNOUT??? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

BURNOUT???

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BURNOUT??? - Page 2 Empty Re: BURNOUT???

Post by Guest 20/08/14, 10:49 pm

Andy Dufrane wrote:

What Gunner9 said.  And what MustangGT said, too.  Parents and coaches burn kids out of this sport all of the time.  In fact, I would contend that many of those who continue to play at a lower level do so more for the love of the game than their ECNL/LHGCL/ODP/blahblahblah counterparts and tend to become true long term players.  A lot of parents ruin it for their little college-bound prodigies and won't admit it until it's too late... if ever.  Just one more game would make the difference.  Just another round of private skills training.  Just another season of two games in two different jerseys every weekend.  And someone would dare make the statement that "Duhhhhhhh.  That doesn't sound like my definition of burnout."  What a crock.

It's not about ability; it's about enjoying what you do.  Too many on here make their child's pastime a full-time job.  Hint:  If the number of posts beside the username surpasses, say, 400-500, there are some significant I-take-children's-soccer-way-too-seriously issues.  In the thousands?  Those people need interventions.  

Looks to me like someone is in need of a spelling intervention...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/08/14, 08:36 am

tschlurker wrote:Is it burnout when a kid goes the whole 9 yards to get a D1 soccer scholarship, gets one, then decides not to play once they get to college?

This is what I consider 'burnout' too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 21/08/14, 09:44 am

Cobra_Kai wrote:
tschlurker wrote:Is it burnout when a kid goes the whole 9 yards to get a D1 soccer scholarship, gets one, then decides not to play once they get to college?

This is what I consider 'burnout' too.

Or you could call it:
. a college experience / lifestyle decision
. moving on with life
. focusing on the future
. changing priorities
. growing up

since most who sign to play in college do not end up playing on scholarship for 4 years anyway.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by AKeepersMomma 21/08/14, 01:08 pm

Gunner9 wrote:An entire thread about semantics.  Call it what you will, but I've seen hundreds of kids "burned out" on the game by their parent(s).  

Being shuttled from outdoor practice to indoor games to speed and agility training to futsal games to guesting with every team imaginable for "more touches", all the while being told in the minivan you just have to get better, try harder, be more like mia........well, sometimes its just not fun anymore.  Even for those performing at a very high level.

And sometimes it takes the kid a long, long time to get the nerve to quit.  It's just a game.

There is a fine line to me about who pushes who. My DD is 10 and plays outdoor for 1 team and guests for another when they need help. We talked about the schedule and practices and what that would mean (4 days of soccer a week) and she made the decision to do it. We play Indoor/Futsal because it is a totally different game than outdoor, different stratigies and field awareness. She likes to play on an indoor team with her buddies from another team so yes we are in the mini van (swagger wagon as I call it) running from practice, to skills, to games but what I think makes the difference is communication from both parties (and the Coach) and if DD comes to me and says its too much then we will back off. I would hope she wouldn't quit everything, maybe just start scaling back.

TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenshi Dave 21/08/14, 03:59 pm

K-3 I used to love playing with toy guns and army-men. I used to love to put the army-men in formation and move them around. Toward 3rd Grade I like shooting them with rubber bands.

In fourth grade, I got sort of tired of army men ... I guess I got "burned out" on army men ... or I found other things that were more interesting.

Some girls decide that being more involved at school is where the would rather spend there time ... or as much as I might hate to say it, BOYS and phones.

In any case, some girls are interested in continuing on and playing in high school, or in college .... and some, simply are not.

I actually know several top 93s-95s that figured out that they were "done" with soccer during/after their first season of college soccer.

If your kid wants it, they will have to go at a hard pace ... if they don't, so what? I think the key is for the girl to really want it (and of course have the goods) if they are going to continue on in soccer. If going hard makes them tired of soccer, so what?

There's a hell of a lot more to life than girl's soccer and even if the best of them figure that out by 21.
Kenshi Dave
Kenshi Dave
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 21/08/14, 04:13 pm

Kenshi Dave wrote:K-3 I used to love playing with toy guns and army-men.  I used to love to put the army-men in formation and move them around.  Toward 3rd Grade I like shooting them with rubber bands.

In fourth grade, I got sort of tired of army men ... I guess I got "burned out" on army men ... or I found other things that were more interesting.

Some girls decide that being more involved at school is where the would rather spend there time ... or as much as I might hate to say it, BOYS and phones.

In any case, some girls are interested in continuing on and playing in high school, or in college .... and some, simply are not.

I actually know several top 93s-95s that figured out that they were "done" with soccer during/after their first season of college soccer.

If your kid wants it, they will have to go at a hard pace ... if they don't, so what?  I think the key is for the girl to really want it (and of course have the goods) if they are going to continue on in soccer. If going hard makes them tired of soccer, so what?

There's a hell of a lot more to life than girl's soccer and even if the best of them figure that out by 21.

or they become soccer coaches and spend their days posting on for players $ on this site.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Dufrane 21/08/14, 09:46 pm

AKeepersMomma wrote:
Gunner9 wrote:An entire thread about semantics.  Call it what you will, but I've seen hundreds of kids "burned out" on the game by their parent(s).  

Being shuttled from outdoor practice to indoor games to speed and agility training to futsal games to guesting with every team imaginable for "more touches", all the while being told in the minivan you just have to get better, try harder, be more like mia........well, sometimes its just not fun anymore.  Even for those performing at a very high level.

And sometimes it takes the kid a long, long time to get the nerve to quit.  It's just a game.

There is a fine line to me about who pushes who.  My DD is 10 and plays outdoor for 1 team and guests for another when they need help. We talked about the schedule and practices and what that would mean (4 days of soccer a week) and she made the decision to do it. We play Indoor/Futsal because it is a totally different game than outdoor, different stratigies and field awareness.  She likes to play on an indoor team with her buddies from another team so yes we are in the mini van (swagger wagon as I call it)  running from practice, to skills, to games but what I think makes the difference is communication from both parties (and the Coach) and if DD comes to me and says its too much then we will back off.   I would hope she wouldn't quit everything, maybe just start scaling back.

Smart thinking. Let your 10 year old daughter make the call. Children that age are amazingly good at knowing when to say when. Why, just the other day I gave a 10 year old a bucket of candy and told her to let me know when it was too much so we could back off. After puking three times and returning for more, she said all was okay. Communication is the key.

Andy Dufrane
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Dufrane 21/08/14, 09:51 pm

bwgophers wrote:
Andy Dufrane wrote:

What Gunner9 said.  And what MustangGT said, too.  Parents and coaches burn kids out of this sport all of the time.  In fact, I would contend that many of those who continue to play at a lower level do so more for the love of the game than their ECNL/LHGCL/ODP/blahblahblah counterparts and tend to become true long term players.  A lot of parents ruin it for their little college-bound prodigies and won't admit it until it's too late... if ever.  Just one more game would make the difference.  Just another round of private skills training.  Just another season of two games in two different jerseys every weekend.  And someone would dare make the statement that "Duhhhhhhh.  That doesn't sound like my definition of burnout."  What a crock.

It's not about ability; it's about enjoying what you do.  Too many on here make their child's pastime a full-time job.  Hint:  If the number of posts beside the username surpasses, say, 400-500, there are some significant I-take-children's-soccer-way-too-seriously issues.  In the thousands?  Those people need interventions.  

Perhaps someone could do (yet another meaningless) ranking on the top spellers posting on this forum. I'm guessing we could find a correlation between how well an 8-year old plays soccer and the ability of her parent to spell "villain". But surely no one has that much time to waste.

Andy Dufrane
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/08/14, 10:23 pm

Andy Dufrane wrote:
bwgophers wrote:
Andy Dufrane wrote:

Perhaps someone could do (yet another meaningless) ranking on the top spellers posting on this forum.  I'm guessing we could find a correlation between how well an 8-year old plays soccer and the ability of her parent to spell "villain".  But surely no one has that much time to waste.

I do have that much time to waste, but I think I'll refresne this time...

Back to top Go down

Post by Packrabbit 22/08/14, 01:18 am

Andy Dufrane wrote:
bwgophers wrote:
Andy Dufrane wrote:

Perhaps someone could do (yet another meaningless) ranking on the top spellers posting on this forum.  I'm guessing we could find a correlation between how well an 8-year old plays soccer and the ability of her parent to spell "villain".  But surely no one has that much time to waste.

Hey, Hey-Hey, HEY!! Slow down there Sped Racr!!

Andy, you sure are highly expressive and well adapted to the forum for a 16 post newbie...

Andy, please calm down (think of me as "Red", and please note I only have 300 posts...), and step away from the keyboard... I'm trying to follow along and keep an open mind, but now you're just lashing out and being mean. I keep expecting  to hear...
--------------- "NO WIRE HANGERS!"----------------

It okay... It matter of perspective. We know wood hangers are better, but wire ones are okay, too... They're great to have around when you want to roast marsh mellows (or to whip one's dd after a bad practice) .... But to say we take our DD's Soccer Careers "too seriously" is almost as ridiculous as using MEANINGLESS in the same sentence with RANKING.  Suspect 

I fear you are either ignorant or are deliberately stereo-typing those of us fortunate enough to have spawned superior athletes capable of playing soccer at the highest level. Soccer Rankings, Prognostication and Debate are not a meaningless tasks, but merely a way for us to monitor the soccer environment in which our DD's compete!

Full time jobs? Intervention? Please! Don't you feel that you are somewhat exaggerating the situation? Speaking of which... Hey I gotta go- I'm late for work!

Bw- spell check me, would ya?!

Section I: The author of this post's above attempts at humor should be viewed and/or criticized for its entertainment value only. Hopefully, no one's feelings or facts were injured during the production of this post.
Section II: The author does not claim to speak intelligently or with authority about ANY posted topic. The author further acknowledges that any information presented is an opinion most likely based on incomplete observations and should not, in form or fashion, be treated as NEWS or FACTS of any type. All information should be questioned, ridiculed and/or discarded, as deemed appropiate by the individual reader
Packrabbit
Packrabbit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum