North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

05 JDL - Page 10 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

05 JDL

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

05 JDL - Page 10 Empty Re: 05 JDL

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 11:51 am

However, this is the set up and format that everyone plays in.  There will always be the Kicks (05), Liverpool Elite (03), Rush (04) type teams that are very good but are not part of one of the "big" clubs in girls youth soccer.  If you have a player on one of these teams, you as a parent have a decision to make when it comes time for JDL, ECNL or upcoming DA.  No one will fault you for the decision you make, but to belittle the league(s) because it hurt the quality of Classic League shows your complete bias, which in the end is just you, looking out for your own.  There is nothing wrong with that.
Has the rumor been put to rest or is it still out there that ECNL will pull status of clubs that eventually go DA. I heard that but didn't know if that was craziness. Any news or ground breaking developments.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 01/11/16, 11:51 am

KeeperCommander wrote:
slrsoccer wrote:This really isn't rocket science.  I just don't understand why people can't see the benefit of a league like this.  I have no kids in JDL so I consider myself unbiased.
I for one am nor arguing the case for JDL being a bad league or stupid idea.  After all its just a league.  What my argument is everyone thinking its the answer.  Its a great tool mind you.  It should help immensely.  If you take it for what its worth.  The argument someone made the other day about the bottom 4 teams in JDL being better than any teams in LH is just about the dumbest comment anyone could make.  Especially since one of those teams has only won 2 out of 9 games.  Laughable.  It needs to do something first before it has been called the best league out there.  Stop arguing its the best and then hide behind "its only been 2 months attitude".

Completely agree. I didn't see that comment about the bottom 4 JDL teams being better than all LH teams. However, anyone looking at it from that viewpoint isn't looking at it correctly. Also, this debate will go on forever, like they always do, as long as you have the "this is the greatest league" group and the "this is a stupid league" group.

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ForReal 01/11/16, 11:56 am

slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
slrsoccer wrote:This really isn't rocket science.  I just don't understand why people can't see the benefit of a league like this.  I have no kids in JDL so I consider myself unbiased.
I for one am nor arguing the case for JDL being a bad league or stupid idea.  After all its just a league.  What my argument is everyone thinking its the answer.  Its a great tool mind you.  It should help immensely.  If you take it for what its worth.  The argument someone made the other day about the bottom 4 teams in JDL being better than any teams in LH is just about the dumbest comment anyone could make.  Especially since one of those teams has only won 2 out of 9 games.  Laughable.  It needs to do something first before it has been called the best league out there.  Stop arguing its the best and then hide behind "its only been 2 months attitude".

Completely agree.  I didn't see that comment about the bottom 4 JDL teams being better than all LH teams.  However, anyone looking at it from that viewpoint isn't looking at it correctly.  Also, this debate will go on forever, like they always do, as long as you have the "this is the greatest league" group and the "this is a stupid league" group.

I can't find where anyone said all JDL teams are better than every LH team.

ForReal
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 11:56 am

slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:

Completely agree.  I didn't see that comment about the bottom 4 JDL teams being better than all LH teams.  However, anyone looking at it from that viewpoint isn't looking at it correctly.  Also, this debate will go on forever, like they always do, as long as you have the "this is the greatest league" group and the "this is a stupid league" group.
For the longest time parents bought into the we will win and that will bring better players into the club/team. Thereby making them more elite. That is fine and it accomplished exactly what they said it would. It just didn't do anything for the long haul. Now they have a different message and they want the parents to buy into that now. Which they are, by the way. Fine by me. Most people bought into the Titanic being the greatest and most unsinkable ship ever too. That didn't last very long though huh. Laughing

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity 01/11/16, 11:57 am

Last I checked - YOU asked the question "I must ask, what would you do to form and league that provides a more competitive environment on a weekly basis?"

I provided my response

So let me spell it out for you Homer

slrsoccer wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:Improve competition?  There are / were multiple options (and no "separate league" was necessary):

Initial placement tournament for qualified teams into 3 brackets of 10 teams.  Or even 4-5 brackets with fewer teams.  

Coaches petition for brackets (based on returning players, tournament results) to be grouped into D1 or D2 qualifying pools - they had the entire month of August to have placement games.

Promotion / relegation in December (Plano used to do it, not sure if they are this year)

It's not complicated - the LH Board could have (or used some of their $$$ in the bank to hire some consultants) received written input from coaches - reviewed July results - selected the 6 D1 automatic teams  - and 8 contenders.  Split the contenders into 2 brackets of 4 - round robin play over 1 weekend - top 2 from each group make D1.  Relegation in December - 2 up, 2 down.

Not perfect - but better that assuming that JDL by definition provides better competition week-in, week-out.

And how is "having a facility" a "must have" for teams when forming a league?  All the independents were part of "a league" prior to JDL.  Really jumped the shark on that one (does Solar have it's own facility?  D'Feeters?  Texans?  last I check they rent facilities - as Andromeda did before the consolidation).  And, in case you forgot - selection to this league had NOTHING to do with resources or facilities.  The ONLY thing these 5 clubs had in common (and to the exclusion of everyone else) - E-C-N-L.

So don't give me this crap that JDL is about "development" (which was or was not happening before the creation of JDL), or "better competition week-in, week-out" (which could have been had through other avenues).

Wow!  You really come across as a lover scorned in this debate.  

Let's take you post point by point.
1)  Are you really advocating that LH change the format of their league?  It's too late.  They were slow to react and it cost them many good teams.  You asked -  what would provide a more competitive environment - I provided a response.  LH already changed to add JDL, and a 20-team 05 group that is less competitive on a weekly basis due to it's size.  They have shifted and adjusted the format of their league each of the past 2 years.  I provided an option that, IMO would have provided better weekly competition - pitting the best teams against each other - regardless of club.

2)  This new format is wanted because it will provide better competition?  All the while, you have been arguing that competition isn't an issue in LH as compared to JDL? I haven't been arguing that at all.  LH D1 contains teams who would be in the "top 10", while lesser teams are in JDL.  My approach works to include ALL the top teams - JDL actively works against that.

3)  This new league would require consultants to come up with a plan?  Really?  Did you actually read my response?  Tex - where did I say "require"?  Now you are just being an ass.  I merely provided is as an OPTION if someone questioned the ability of LH to select a top 6 and the next 8.

4)  You advocate coaches "petitioning" for brackets?  What?  Coaches know best what their team composition is from year to year - if they think they should be in D2 over D1, why not let them provide some input.  Better than saying "because you have JDL in your name you are automatically in the excusive league"  But I guess YOU know better.

5)  How exactly do you think these 5 clubs became ECNL clubs?  Do you not think competitive history, resources and facilities have anything to do with their inclusion in ECNL?  Nice response - but you didn't come close to addressing my question - how is having a facility (which 3 of the 5 do not have appreciable facilities) a "must" for forming "a league"?  and by "have" do you mean "rent"?

6)  Most teams take a little time off in July, what results would you consider during that month?  Some take off, some don't.  Teams headed to qualifying for the first time go to tournaments to try and boost their seed.  I was merely adding a factor that would assist in placement.

Again - you asked for a proposal -  I provided one.  You may not like it - but it would have provided the opportunity for every team to qualify, and would provide better games than the current format.

Look, we get it.  Your kid is not on a JDL team but is on a team that is highly competitive, if not the best.  shows how little you know I think what you may be upset about is the fact that these teams left the league you are still in, causing your team to not get the competition they desire on a weekly basis.

However, this is the set up and format that everyone plays in.  There will always be the Kicks (05), Liverpool Elite (03), Rush (04) type teams that are very good but are not part of one of the "big" clubs in girls youth soccer.  If you have a player on one of these teams, you as a parent have a decision to make when it comes time for JDL, ECNL or upcoming DA.  No one will fault you for the decision you make, but to belittle the league(s) because it hurt the quality of Classic League shows your complete bias, which in the end is just you, looking out for your own.  There is nothing wrong with that.

In case you haven't realized, the playing field isn't level.  There are clubs that can provide things to the players that other clubs can't.  It's the way it has been and it's the way it will always be.  These leagues are formed with clubs that have great depth in most, if not all age groups.  FC Dallas, Sting, Texans, Solar and Feet might not have the best team in each age group, but they will more often than not have a team that is competitive in every age group.  There will always be a team outside of these clubs that is very good, but the parents and players on those teams will have a decision to make to stay or leave at some point in time.

I get that you are passionate about this, probably because you want the best for your kid.  That is admirable and not what's being debated. However, you come across like a kid that wasn't invited to the prom, even though you are just as pretty, if not prettier than the other girls that were invited.  and you come across as an ass

Times are changing, you can get on the bus or you can walk.

The times have changed - no one is arguing that.

You "appear" to have the desire to have the best competition on a weekly basis (but your unflinching devotion to JDL shows otherwise).  I would argue that may be the case now for some, not for others.  You argue that excluding teams based on club name is a good thing.  I argue that there was a way to improve weekly competition by selecting teams on ability - not club affiliation.

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 12:08 pm

soccerjack wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
soccerjack wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
soccerjack wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
Sorry but I have heard 5 of your 8 teams are a complete waste of time.

Kills me when I'm thinking what Kc said. The percent of wasted games in jdl is prob about the same as a 20 team d-1 division.
Oh please, no doubt there are wasted games in D1. No question. But SLRS comment has no merit.

I actually agreed with you Kc. You can only fight one side at a time. geek  My point was that a 50/50 split in quality with only 8 teams is a lot worse than the same split in a 20 team league.

At the end of the day shouldn't the bottom four teams in jdl be better in some way than all other lh teams. Having jdl in their name doesn't count. scratch
I guess I read that wrong. My apologies to the chef. However no I don't think that just because it's JDL teams should they automatically be considered better than LH. Is it possible yes but not even close to likely.

Alright Kc....work with me here that was a smart a$$ rhetorical answer I gave. I agree with you and am trying to work with you here. Jdl has some good teams because of coaching and recruiting, but they all should be considerably better than every lh team simply because that was the bs recruiting pitch thrown out.  Overall I think it was a sleazy money grab by the bigs. Doesn't impact me either way.
I made it bold for you.

Last edited by KeeperCommander on 01/11/16, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ColtMcVince 01/11/16, 12:13 pm

I recall a comment that was made that most (maybe all, I don't remember) JDL teams would be competitive with the top 10 teams in LH. Someone provide data that would support this based on H2H games over the past few months. I think the one outlier was DT Central.

I do not recall a comment saying the bottom 4 JDL teams would beat ALL LH teams.

ColtMcVince
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 12:16 pm

SickofSilliness wrote:Last I checked - YOU asked the question "I must ask, what would you do to form and league that provides a more competitive environment on a weekly basis?"

I provided my response

So let me spell it out for you Homer

slrsoccer wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:Improve competition?  There are / were multiple options (and no "separate league" was necessary):

Initial placement tournament for qualified teams into 3 brackets of 10 teams.  Or even 4-5 brackets with fewer teams.  

Coaches petition for brackets (based on returning players, tournament results) to be grouped into D1 or D2 qualifying pools - they had the entire month of August to have placement games.

Promotion / relegation in December (Plano used to do it, not sure if they are this year)

It's not complicated - the LH Board could have (or used some of their $$$ in the bank to hire some consultants) received written input from coaches - reviewed July results - selected the 6 D1 automatic teams  - and 8 contenders.  Split the contenders into 2 brackets of 4 - round robin play over 1 weekend - top 2 from each group make D1.  Relegation in December - 2 up, 2 down.

Not perfect - but better that assuming that JDL by definition provides better competition week-in, week-out.

And how is "having a facility" a "must have" for teams when forming a league?  All the independents were part of "a league" prior to JDL.  Really jumped the shark on that one (does Solar have it's own facility?  D'Feeters?  Texans?  last I check they rent facilities - as Andromeda did before the consolidation).  And, in case you forgot - selection to this league had NOTHING to do with resources or facilities.  The ONLY thing these 5 clubs had in common (and to the exclusion of everyone else) - E-C-N-L.

So don't give me this crap that JDL is about "development" (which was or was not happening before the creation of JDL), or "better competition week-in, week-out" (which could have been had through other avenues).

Wow!  You really come across as a lover scorned in this debate.  

Let's take you post point by point.
1)  Are you really advocating that LH change the format of their league?  It's too late.  They were slow to react and it cost them many good teams.  You asked -  what would provide a more competitive environment - I provided a response.  LH already changed to add JDL, and a 20-team 05 group that is less competitive on a weekly basis due to it's size.  They have shifted and adjusted the format of their league each of the past 2 years.  I provided an option that, IMO would have provided better weekly competition - pitting the best teams against each other - regardless of club.

2)  This new format is wanted because it will provide better competition?  All the while, you have been arguing that competition isn't an issue in LH as compared to JDL? I haven't been arguing that at all.  LH D1 contains teams who would be in the "top 10", while lesser teams are in JDL.  My approach works to include ALL the top teams - JDL actively works against that.

3)  This new league would require consultants to come up with a plan?  Really?  Did you actually read my response?  Tex - where did I say "require"?  Now you are just being an ass.  I merely provided is as an OPTION if someone questioned the ability of LH to select a top 6 and the next 8.

4)  You advocate coaches "petitioning" for brackets?  What?  Coaches know best what their team composition is from year to year - if they think they should be in D2 over D1, why not let them provide some input.  Better than saying "because you have JDL in your name you are automatically in the excusive league"  But I guess YOU know better.

5)  How exactly do you think these 5 clubs became ECNL clubs?  Do you not think competitive history, resources and facilities have anything to do with their inclusion in ECNL?  Nice response - but you didn't come close to addressing my question - how is having a facility (which 3 of the 5 do not have appreciable facilities) a "must" for forming "a league"?  and by "have" do you mean "rent"?

6)  Most teams take a little time off in July, what results would you consider during that month?  Some take off, some don't.  Teams headed to qualifying for the first time go to tournaments to try and boost their seed.  I was merely adding a factor that would assist in placement.

Again - you asked for a proposal -  I provided one.  You may not like it - but it would have provided the opportunity for every team to qualify, and would provide better games than the current format.

Look, we get it.  Your kid is not on a JDL team but is on a team that is highly competitive, if not the best.  shows how little you know I think what you may be upset about is the fact that these teams left the league you are still in, causing your team to not get the competition they desire on a weekly basis.

In case you haven't realized, the playing field isn't level.  There are clubs that can provide things to the players that other clubs can't.  It's the way it has been and it's the way it will always be.  These leagues are formed with clubs that have great depth in most, if not all age groups.  FC Dallas, Sting, Texans, Solar and Feet might not have the best team in each age group, but they will more often than not have a team that is competitive in every age group.  There will always be a team outside of these clubs that is very good, but the parents and players on those teams will have a decision to make to stay or leave at some point in time.

I get that you are passionate about this, probably because you want the best for your kid.  That is admirable and not what's being debated. However, you come across like a kid that wasn't invited to the prom, even though you are just as pretty, if not prettier than the other girls that were invited.  and you come across as an ass

Times are changing, you can get on the bus or you can walk.

The times have changed - no one is arguing that.

You "appear" to have the desire to have the best competition on a weekly basis (but your unflinching devotion to JDL shows otherwise).  I would argue that may be the case now for some, not for others.  You argue that excluding teams based on club name is a good thing.  I argue that there was a way to improve weekly competition by selecting teams on ability - not club affiliation.
In the end the overall flock will be to whatever is the best path for the DD. For some that will be ECNL, for others that will be more playing time in LH. Hell for some that may mean going back to Rec. In any case, those days are coming. And yes they will be for inclusive clubs only. Until then I guess we debate, about the right path or the best path or whatever.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 01/11/16, 12:26 pm

JDL is not about proving your team is the best. It's about providing meaningful games that are not coached or played to win at all cost. LHGCL has become a battle ground of parents and players looking to harm and hurt each other to please coaches and parents winning at all cost. This philosophy placed emphasis on creating teams that resemble the NFL. Pressure to win is setting our kids back in the national level as they get older. Due to not allowing all players to develope within the game correctly. It has to start somewhere with someone and not saying it's right but their is nothing you nor I can do about it.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity 01/11/16, 12:34 pm

Zizou wrote:JDL is not about proving your team is the best. It's about providing meaningful games that are not coached or played to win at all cost. LHGCL has become a battle ground of parents and players looking to harm and hurt each other to please coaches and parents winning at all cost. This philosophy placed emphasis on creating teams that resemble the NFL. Pressure to win is setting our kids back in the national level as they get older. Due to not allowing all players to develope within the game correctly. It has to start somewhere with someone and not saying it's right but their is nothing you nor I can do about it.

Great in theory - not how I have seen it applied (with any regularity).

I have seen a number of games across age groups at Fairview -
- I've seen kids spend large amounts of time on the bench
- I've seen few games where kids are moved around to "try different positions" (unless maybe they were trying new positions from the start)
- I've seen coaches run up the score with starters still in
- I've seen coaches yelling at referees over calls
- I've seen bootball and no attempt to possess from the back
- I've seen few goalies play the ball out of the back
- I've seen NFL soccer

No doubt - I have seen other developmental things as well, so I am not saying JDL is "bad" - just not seeing anything much different than D1 soccer in prior years.

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 12:41 pm

Zizou wrote:JDL is not about proving your team is the best. It's about providing meaningful games that are not coached or played to win at all cost. LHGCL has become a battle ground of parents and players looking to harm and hurt each other to please coaches and parents winning at all cost. This philosophy placed emphasis on creating teams that resemble the NFL. Pressure to win is setting our kids back in the national level as they get older. Due to not allowing all players to develope within the game correctly. It has to start somewhere with someone and not saying it's right but their is nothing you nor I can do about it.
No it isnt what it is about. It just what the Kool Aid drinkers are spouting off about. Makes for good debate and great comedy. Especially the ones that are so sensitive and feisty.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 01/11/16, 12:44 pm

SickofSilliness wrote:The times have changed - no one is arguing that.

Really don't see the need for name calling, but I guess that makes you feel better.

Look, I have zero devotion to JDL, don't have a kid playing in the league and I never will.

The issue with you proposal and wanting to select leagues by teams instead of clubs, is that is provides less predictability and consistency. Teams change all the time, clubs are much more consistent with much larger pools to choose from. Putting together a league by clubs is by far the most consistent way to do it. The coaches of these "teams" often leave for a coaching job at one of the "clubs."

In the end, parents should choose the what they think is best for their player. Some, want to be Classic League champion and to be able to say we scored 100 goals and only had 4 scored against us. Some will follow a particular coach because they believe in his methods, no matter what league they play in. Some would rather win 2 games in a JDL season, knowing that they will have a difficult game every single weekend. Are any of these right or wrong, that's subjective, but I have my opinion as to what is better for developing players.

I may have been unfair to you, but I am truly interested to know your opinion on the following.

Would you rather have your daughter:
1) Play in Classic League, win the league with an 18-1 record with 75 GF and 8 GA
2) Play in JDL, come in last place with a record of 3-12 (not sure how many games they play) with 13 GF and 29 GA

In your opinion, and all other things being equal (practices, coaching), which one do you think is better for developing a soccer player?

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 12:52 pm

1)  Play in Classic League, win the league with an 18-1 record with 75 GF and 8 GA
2)  Play in JDL, come in last place with a record of 3-12 (not sure how many games they play) with 13 GF and 29 GA

In your opinion, and all other things being equal (practices, coaching), which one do you think is better for developing a soccer player?
Neither of these situations lend credibility to what you are arguing.  The first would have you believe you are not getting the top quality competition you need to develop and that in some regards may be true.  
The second would have you believe that they are playing too far up and that they do not have the skill that would make them able to compete with the top competition.  
If you say the JDL is as good as it is then the records would all be more similar.  You know the top teams would not always come out on top.  Proving that the teams are all in fact top teams competing in a competitive manner.  From what i see there are two top teams and a few middle teams and then a couple bottom teams.  That is essentially what LH is except in a larger form.  Which will change next year to a 9 or 10 team format.

Last edited by KeeperCommander on 01/11/16, 01:15 pm; edited 3 times in total

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity 01/11/16, 12:53 pm

Good question - all things being equal . . .

I would probably choose #2.  (The same question could be asked - first in PPL vs last in LH)

My argument is - the CL team has no opportunity to play in a better league (without moving up age groups), and maybe the JDL team should be playing D1. Does that provide the best for players on either team? JDL does not "by construction" have better games on a weekly basis - that option was available, but this option was selected by the Bigs.

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity 01/11/16, 12:59 pm

So a question for those who played D1 in the past, and are now playing JDL -

Do you see an appreciable difference in your coach's approach to development?

(understanding that different coaches have different approaches so it is difficult to compare unless you kept the same coach from D1 to JDL)

If the purpose of JDL is to encourage development of players without the "pressure" of keeping score - I would expect to see a greater focus on development over prior seasons, play time more evenly shared, all players seeing playing time at a variety of positions, substitutions without consideration of the score - things that would differentiate JDL from the old D1.

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 01/11/16, 01:16 pm

KeeperCommander wrote:

1)  Play in Classic League, win the league with an 18-1 record with 75 GF and 8 GA
2)  Play in JDL, come in last place with a record of 3-12 (not sure how many games they play) with 13 GF and 29 GA

Neither of these situations lend credibility to what you are arguing.  The first would have you believe you are not getting the top quality competition you need to develop and that in some regards may be true.  
The second would have you believe that they are playing too far up and that they do not have the skill that would make them able to compete with the top competition.  
If you say the JDL is as good as it is then the records would all be more similar.  You know the top teams would not always come out on top.  Proving that the teams are all in fact top teams competing in a competitive manner.  From what i see there are two top teams and a few middle teams and then a couple bottom teams.  That is essentially what LH is except in a larger form.  Which will change next year to a 9 or 10 team format.
[/quote]

I don't agree. That is why I put goal differential into the equation. Maybe I should have asked it another way. Would you rather be 18-1 with an average score of 4-1 or be 3-12, losing by an average score of 2-1? I don't consider this playing too far up.

There is always going to be some disparity in youth sports. At this age, 1 or 2 great players can make a huge difference. That is not the case as they get older. My point being is that most leagues will have a team or two at the top and a team or two at the bottom. It is the gap between the top and bottom that make for a competitive or non competitive situation. There will always be outlier scores, we see it all the time.

The part in bold is what my entire stance is about. The more teams, the bigger the disparity, the more "blowout" games. Less teams, less disparity (some will still exist), less "blowout" games.

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SickofStupidity 01/11/16, 01:25 pm

slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:

I don't agree.  That is why I put goal differential into the equation.  Maybe I should have asked it another way.  Would you rather be 18-1 with an average score of 4-1 or be 3-12, losing by an average score of 2-1?  I don't consider this playing too far up.

There is always going to be some disparity in youth sports.  At this age, 1 or 2 great players can make a huge difference.  That is not the case as they get older.  My point being is that most leagues will have a team or two at the top and a team or two at the bottom.  It is the gap between the top and bottom that make for a competitive or non competitive situation.  There will always be outlier scores, we see it all the time.

The part in bold is what my entire stance is about.  The more teams, the bigger the disparity, the more "blowout" games.  Less teams, less disparity (some will still exist), less "blowout" games.

[/quote]

The 03 group blows that theory out of the water -

D1 - 10th place team - 0-8-1, 3 GF, 40 GA
D2 - 20th place team - 0-6-2, 7 GF, 23 GA

nor does that theory really hold in the 02 and 04 groups as well

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 01:32 pm

slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:

I don't agree.  That is why I put goal differential into the equation.  Maybe I should have asked it another way.  Would you rather be 18-1 with an average score of 4-1 or be 3-12, losing by an average score of 2-1?  I don't consider this playing too far up.

There is always going to be some disparity in youth sports.  At this age, 1 or 2 great players can make a huge difference.  That is not the case as they get older.  My point being is that most leagues will have a team or two at the top and a team or two at the bottom.  It is the gap between the top and bottom that make for a competitive or non competitive situation.  There will always be outlier scores, we see it all the time.

The part in bold is what my entire stance is about.  The more teams, the bigger the disparity, the more "blowout" games.  Less teams, less disparity (some will still exist), less "blowout" games.

Like you said there will always be disparity is sports.  Goal differential will only get you so far in a argument.  I agree it should be taken into consideration.  And yes the more teams you have the bigger disparity there should be.  JDL is at a disadvantage just like everyone because of age pure shuffle.  It will take a year to settle down the dust.  LH is a 20 team league that will dwindle down to 10.  Top 10 tens teams in LH now would still have disparity to say the least, but it would be tons better.  If the JDL clubs were to all add a team next year then it would end up in the same situation.  Too many teams to give quality competition to all and the disparity between the teams would grow.  What would LH look like right now if it was just the top 8 teams in D1.  Way better competition to watch than JDL right now I assure you.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 01/11/16, 01:38 pm

SickofSilliness wrote:So a question for those who played D1 in the past, and are now playing JDL -

Do you see an appreciable difference in your coach's approach to development?

(understanding that different coaches have different approaches so it is difficult to compare unless you kept the same coach from D1 to JDL)

If the purpose of JDL is to encourage development of players without the "pressure" of keeping score - I would expect to see a greater focus on development over prior seasons, play time more evenly shared, all players seeing playing time at a variety of positions, substitutions without consideration of the score - things that would differentiate JDL from the old D1.

I haven't seen much of the 05 JDL play, but when it comes to the 04s, yes -- I have seen a difference. However, as mentioned in previous posts on this thread, it's only in those clubs that have taken the JDL seriously. I see LW, CP and JD moving players around, playing various formations for experimental purpose, and (given the ECNL substitution rules) providing equal playing time by switching up starting line ups game to game.

The occasional large disparity in match results between the top tier and second tier is glaring because a couple clubs did not put much stock in JDL so entered sub par teams ... Not how it was supposed to happen, and I expect it will improve going forward as consolidation of talent continues to squeeze top players onto the DA/ECNL clubs in the coming years.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 01/11/16, 01:57 pm

Okay, yes it is going to take the clubs and coaches making sure they meet requirements. Such as ,  no punting keeper must distribute through the back free kicks played quickly and short. I'm am sure their are others if anyone wants to give some.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 01/11/16, 02:06 pm

Classic battle between dumb..dumber and dumbest...ones avatar even changes as he spews stupidity.
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 01/11/16, 02:11 pm

Competition increases as clubs and teams develope all players not just the one , two , or three difference makers you see on teams now. These players will not be able to continue winning games for their team at the older ages and on the national level. Physical play athletic dominance is less and less as they get older

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 01/11/16, 02:13 pm

SickofSilliness wrote:
slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:

The 03 group blows that theory out of the water -

D1 - 10th place team - 0-8-1, 3 GF, 40 GA
D2 - 20th place team - 0-6-2, 7 GF, 23 GA

nor does that theory really hold in the 02 and 04 groups as well[/quote]

My opinions are subjective as well and no doubt there can be holes punched in them. I have contended all along that there are outliers in every age group.

Personally, I don't think you can properly use as an example '03 or older as you have ECNL and Champions League in the mix. D1 at that age and older could conceivably be made up of teams that are 3rd, 4th or 5th in the pecking order of the big clubs.

I do take your point, but it doesn't change my mind about the overall strategy.

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ForReal 01/11/16, 02:17 pm

KeeperCommander wrote:
slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:

Like you said there will always be disparity is sports.  Goal differential will only get you so far in a argument.  I agree it should be taken into consideration.  And yes the more teams you have the bigger disparity there should be.  JDL is at a disadvantage just like everyone because of age pure shuffle.  It will take a year to settle down the dust.  LH is a 20 team league that will dwindle down to 10.  Top 10 tens teams in LH now would still have disparity to say the least, but it would be tons better.  If the JDL clubs were to all add a team next year then it would end up in the same situation.  Too many teams to give quality competition to all and the disparity between the teams would grow.  What would LH look like right now if it was just the top 8 teams in D1.  Way better competition to watch than JDL right now I assure you.

You had me until the end.  I know you are a Trump lover but you don't have to start talking like him.  Laughing

JDL is in its infancy.  It will likely be refined going forward and I expect you will see more teams at the U11 and U12 (perhaps U13) level playing both JDL and LH next year.  JDL has had too few games (5-6) and it's human nature to want to win them.  JDL would also have more of the developmental aspects questioned by SoS if teams used LH for winning/competition and JDL for "developing."  But it also takes a culture that doesn't yet exist - coaches, players and parents willing to commit to playing without a win at all costs mentality.    

But as to your hypothetical, you lost any credibility. If LH was just the top 8 right now versus JDL's 8, LH would not be better competition.  SoS also points out that's not the case with the 03s or even in the 04s right now.  But just look at the teams.  There are two Sting teams and two Solar teams in the top 8 of LH.  Essentially you are arguing that Sting and Solar didn't put their two best teams in and that Solar Byars, Solar Haylock, Sting West and Sting East provide better competition than Solar Pulpaneck, Solar Colvin, Sting Higgy and Sting Parsons.  If you're of that opinion, I can't persuade you of the fallacy of your position.

ForReal
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 02:38 pm

soccerjack wrote:Classic battle between dumb..dumber and dumbest...ones avatar even changes as he spews stupidity.
Of course this is coming from a perso who's avatar is a jackass.
So name one thing that I said that can be disputed by facts. Seeing as how it's all speculation and debated grey areas. So you might want to lose the tone. You may debate but if you want to take the Pepsi challenge with comments I would advise you think first. I assure you I have been doing it way longer and better than you.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 01/11/16, 02:42 pm

ForReal wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:
slrsoccer wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:

You had me until the end.  I know you are a Trump lover but you don't have to start talking like him.  Laughing

JDL is in its infancy.  It will likely be refined going forward and I expect you will see more teams at the U11 and U12 (perhaps U13) level playing both JDL and LH next year.  JDL has had too few games (5-6) and it's human nature to want to win them.  JDL would also have more of the developmental aspects questioned by SoS if teams used LH for winning/competition and JDL for "developing."  But it also takes a culture that doesn't yet exist - coaches, players and parents willing to commit to playing without a win at all costs mentality.    

But as to your hypothetical, you lost any credibility. If LH was just the top 8 right now versus JDL's 8, LH would not be better competition.  SoS also points out that's not the case with the 03s or even in the 04s right now.  But just look at the teams.  There are two Sting teams and two Solar teams in the top 8 of LH.  Essentially you are arguing that Sting and Solar didn't put their two best teams in and that Solar Byars, Solar Haylock, Sting West and Sting East provide better competition than Solar Pulpaneck, Solar Colvin, Sting Higgy and Sting Parsons.  If you're of that opinion, I can't persuade you of the fallacy of your position.
I think now you are finally getting it. My point exactly. I start talking LH is better and you get all bent out of shape about it. No numbers support any argument. That is why I have disputing everyone's argument that JDL is the league of champions based of could haves.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum