North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

DA, ECNL, LH Solution - Page 12 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

DA, ECNL, LH Solution

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

DA, ECNL, LH Solution - Page 12 Empty Re: DA, ECNL, LH Solution

Post by newbiefornow 18/05/17, 03:28 pm

There aren't enough girls playing competitive soccer. There aren't enough girls playing any sport. If you're investing in your girls athletic development  you should take a bow. The "elite" players inspire and motivate the not so elite. There are other models that work but they all pay their coaches and fund their facilities.

This is a tough part of the year. There will be DA teams and the majority of the kids on them will have earned their spots. There will be ECNL teams and some of the kids on those teams will be more talented and "better" players than some of the kids on DA but the majority won't be. There will be LHGCL teams and the kids on those teams will get some good coaching and a competitive game in a league that has meaning. Not every year is the same vintage so there is an ebb and flow.

If you feel your kid didn't get a fair shot at DA or ECNL that's reasonable. The people making the choices are human and have limited resources. There may be a High school route to playing in college but it's really tough and that's not fair.  The best thing to do is to get on to your School board and insist they fund Soccer to the same level as Football. If the head football coach gets $100K then the head soccer coach should (not to mention the actual teachers)...the clubs aren't the problem here in my opinion. They're meeting a very positive demand for young women to be great at a sport they love.

Yeah I know - let the unicorns roam - more teams and more clubs with different models aren't free but that's how sport for women will get better. If you feel it's poor value don't spend the money.

newbiefornow
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by abc000 18/05/17, 03:51 pm

newbiefornow wrote:There aren't enough girls playing competitive soccer. There aren't enough girls playing any sport. If you're investing in your girls athletic development  you should take a bow. The "elite" players inspire and motivate the not so elite. There are other models that work but they all pay their coaches and fund their facilities.

This is a tough part of the year. There will be DA teams and the majority of the kids on them will have earned their spots. There will be ECNL teams and some of the kids on those teams will be more talented and "better" players than some of the kids on DA but the majority won't be. There will be LHGCL teams and the kids on those teams will get some good coaching and a competitive game in a league that has meaning. Not every year is the same vintage so there is an ebb and flow.

If you feel your kid didn't get a fair shot at DA or ECNL that's reasonable. The people making the choices are human and have limited resources. There may be a High school route to playing in college but it's really tough and that's not fair.  The best thing to do is to get on to your School board and insist they fund Soccer to the same level as Football. If the head football coach gets $100K then the head soccer coach should (not to mention the actual teachers)...the clubs aren't the problem here in my opinion. They're meeting a very positive demand for young women to be great at a sport they love.

Yeah I know - let the unicorns roam - more teams and more clubs with different models aren't free but that's how sport for women will get better. If you feel it's poor value don't spend the money.

For u13,u14,u15 best players absolutely DA (always exceptions to the rule, but generally). For u17, u19 not as clear cut for next 1-3 years. Those players came up with ECNL and many already committed or at least have clear path. Plus they are already playing HS. Guessing for next few years ECNL and DA somewhat comparable, and perhaps even ECNL stronger. Eventually though DA will be the best among all age groups.

abc000
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/05/17, 09:27 pm

I guess the one to clear up all these different opinions would be JM. He seams to be moving forward into ECNL and if given a DA opportunity would probably take it. The recent moves by him and his club to dfeeters clearly shows a deficiency of LHGCL to hold on to one of their prime supporters and torchbearer.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/05/17, 09:30 pm

Dfeeters?

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18/05/17, 09:49 pm

You asking yourself a question?

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 18/05/17, 09:50 pm

Damn we got him talking to himself.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 18/05/17, 09:51 pm

No, I believe JM is dfeeters.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 18/05/17, 09:53 pm

We will chalk that one up to just too much sun.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 19/05/17, 08:55 am

HomeStretch wrote:BigEm...we will have to agree to disagree. I'm not negative on NTX soccer. It's cut throat and highly competitive, but it's been great for my daughter. We made some mistakes in our choices but its not likely we could've made those mistakes and she ended up OK in a smaller market with fewer great alternatives. I don't agree there are too many clubs nor too many kids playing. I think the choices and passion for the sport  are the strength of the area and the reason why teams consolidated from an openly competitive (deep) pool of ntx talent will typically be among the best in the country. Every youth soccer market has warts..many of the same discussions we have here are had all over the country.
The 05 girls landscape has been a disrupted mess since the age group went select. Select year is tumultuous to say the least with the kids vying for spots somewhere. Next year the AP switch had everything back in turmoil as it did for every age group. Now this year with addition of DA and ECNL to U13 it is again in some sort of craziness. What is up for next year?

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 19/05/17, 09:45 am

I agree, the last two years have been full of change. Yes for some craziness. Hopefully next year with no changes the women's youth soccer will settle a bit. Age pure has been a major test for coaches and players and with DA And ECNL selections happening I would imagine next year will be a lot if the same, team building and a creating cohesiveness within these teams.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 19/05/17, 09:55 am

First few years of DA will suck. I think there will be much changeover. Many girls will decide they want to tryout and do it and some will decide it isn't for them. Once girls reach the multi year teams it will settle down to a norm. Still think there only needs to be one team for NTX but that is just me.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 19/05/17, 10:08 am

KeeperCommander wrote:First few years of DA will suck. I think there will be much changeover. Many girls will decide they want to tryout and do it and some will decide it isn't for them. Once girls reach the multi year teams it will settle down to a norm. Still think there only needs to be one team for NTX but that is just me.

Not just you. One DA program is all this market should have. But we're some years away from a realistic developmental model being in place. We're way too busy battling over the same old ground.

How long did the Civil War last?
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 19/05/17, 10:20 am

KeeperCommander wrote:First few years of DA will suck. I think there will be much changeover. Many girls will decide they want to tryout and do it and some will decide it isn't for them. Once girls reach the multi year teams it will settle down to a norm. Still think there only needs to be one team for NTX but that is just me.

Couldn't agree more that there should be fewer DA programs in NTX and think that it'll be whittled down to 2 within the next few years.  

Speaking for FCD and Solar ... The coaches were actually surprised at the level of interest the top players and athletes had in DA given the commitment level and restriction that comes with it, not to mention that it's in it's first year.  While I, along with many of you all, assumed in the first year with both DA and ECNL that the playing level would be similar ... I'm telling you now that there will be a significant jump in level of play in the 04 and 03 groups.  

And it may be that there are a couple girls here and there participating this year that decide against it going forward, but if those D1 coaches decide to spend their time + budget on DA Showcases instead of at the ECNL Showcases, I wouldn't count on too many leaving the program.

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 19/05/17, 10:57 am

At this point DA is new and it has an aura about it. What happens if an ECNL team beats a DA team? Bedlam will ensue.
Oddly enough many USWNT players said they were best helped by playing other sports during these years. Also oddly enough, no one has listened to them. Guess the ones that didn't have enough talent to play think they know better than the ones that did.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HomeStretch 19/05/17, 11:14 am

KeeperCommander wrote:At this point DA is new and it has an aura about it.  What happens if an ECNL team beats a DA team? Bedlam will ensue.
Oddly enough many USWNT players said they were best helped by playing other sports during these years.  Also oddly enough, no one has listened to them.  Guess the ones that didn't have enough talent to play think they know better than the ones that did.

The game has changed since that generation came through. Only four or five other nations gave a flip about soccer so those women dominated mostly on their athleticism and grit. Today's generations can still cupcake CONCACAF, but results in recent years show and prove athleticism alone is not enough anymore as women's soccer grows internationally. If our top players did only what Abby and Alex did we would see our national teams revert to mediocrity in no time flat. DA might not be a silver bullet but surely its better than what we're doing now with a few DOCs propping up their businesses.

HomeStretch
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by HomeStretch 19/05/17, 11:22 am

BigErn wrote:

Couldn't agree more that there should be fewer DA programs in NTX and think that it'll be whittled down to 2 within the next few years.  

Can you help me understand why all these parents think a market the size of NTX should have fewer, or even one DA program? Who would they play? Why should the tip of the pyramid be that narrow at such an early age? Do that many parents actually think their kid is one of the best 14 players in the age group?

HomeStretch
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 19/05/17, 11:22 am

BigErn wrote:

Speaking for FCD and Solar ... The coaches were actually surprised at the level of interest the top players and athletes had in DA given the commitment level and restriction that comes with it, not to mention that it's in it's first year.  While I, along with many of you all, assumed in the first year with both DA and ECNL that the playing level would be similar ... I'm telling you now that there will be a significant jump in level of play in the 04 and 03 groups.  

And it may be that there are a couple girls here and there participating this year that decide against it going forward, but if those D1 coaches decide to spend their time + budget on DA Showcases instead of at the ECNL Showcases, I wouldn't count on too many leaving the program.

This will never happen. Rolling Eyes

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Son_ofa_Pitch 19/05/17, 11:27 am

KeeperCommander wrote:At this point DA is new and it has an aura about it.  What happens if an ECNL team beats a DA team? Bedlam will ensue.
Oddly enough many USWNT players said they were best helped by playing other sports during these years.  Also oddly enough, no one has listened to them.  Guess the ones that didn't have enough talent to play think they know better than the ones that did.

USWNT players weren't backed into a corner like it is now.. Its basically how athletic you are, how much time and serious dedication you put into your craft. Typically the ones who put in work, reap the rewards. Just saying..
Son_ofa_Pitch
Son_ofa_Pitch
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 19/05/17, 11:55 am

HomeStretch wrote:
BigErn wrote:

Can you help me understand why all these parents think a market the size of NTX should have fewer, or even one DA program?  Who would they play? Why should the tip of the pyramid be that narrow at such an early age? Do that many parents actually think their kid is one of the best 14 players in the age group?

Because it represents too narrow a path for most. Believe it or not, there are kids playing at the top youth levels and getting recruited into top college programs who are not about soccer 24/7.

They run track, play basketball, act in plays, sing in the choir. And (shudder!!) enjoy playing soccer with their HS coach and teammates.

75+ DA programs is a joke. DA is a great path for those with both the talent and singular focus to pursue that dream. That dream is not for everyone. If this was truly about developing future WNT players and not about the turf war with US Club, there would be one DA program in this market and they would find a way to fund it. But USSF has always known exactly what is good for the sport, so I guess we should all just sit down and listen Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 19/05/17, 11:55 am

What happened when an ECNL team lost to a D1 team?

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 19/05/17, 12:11 pm

Less DA, More DA, Less ECNL, More ECNL...yada yada yada. They're all just pathways.

IIRC Carli Lloyd played neither, nor did Hope Solo (out of the hot bed of soccer that is Richland, WA), nor did Abby Wambach to name a few.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ern 19/05/17, 12:25 pm

Gunners wrote:
BigErn wrote:

This will never happen. Rolling Eyes

Hmmm ... ?  You're certainly in the minority there Gunners.  Why do you think those D1 coaches will choose to spend there limited recruitment travel budgets to go to an ECNL Showcase rather than to the DA events in the coming years?

Big Ern
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HomeStretch 19/05/17, 12:36 pm

5050Ball wrote:
HomeStretch wrote:
BigErn wrote:

Can you help me understand why all these parents think a market the size of NTX should have fewer, or even one DA program?  Who would they play? Why should the tip of the pyramid be that narrow at such an early age? Do that many parents actually think their kid is one of the best 14 players in the age group?

Because it represents too narrow a path for most.  Believe it or not, there are kids playing at the top youth levels and getting recruited into top college programs who are not about soccer 24/7.

They run track, play basketball, act in plays, sing in the choir.  And (shudder!!) enjoy playing soccer with their HS coach and teammates.

75+ DA programs is a joke.  DA is a great path for those with both the talent and singular focus to pursue that dream.  That dream is not for everyone.  If this was truly about developing future WNT players and not about the turf war with US Club, there would be one DA program in this market and they would find a way to fund it.  But USSF has always known exactly what is good for the sport, so I guess we should all just sit down and listen  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

DA dream will be playing at the top level of college for the vast majority. Cant imagine many think the national teams are a reality worth being concerned with. You say there are kids getting recruited into the "top" soccer programs who spend a good deal of their time on choir and track and basketball and whatever else...I'm betting they are exceptions. Most multi sport athletes choose their path when they get to high school. Yes some athletic high ceiling, low skill types may "commit" to a soccer program late in their high school career...but those are not TOP programs and if they are it's for little or no money. DA likely frees up more time for college bound players vs trying to balance club and high school seasons with concurrent events.

HomeStretch
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Longhorn 19/05/17, 12:37 pm

I have talked to few college coaches and I was told that DA events will be the main recruiting grounds now not ECNL.

Longhorn
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 19/05/17, 12:38 pm

I never said that. You said there might come a time when they choose to attend DA and forgo ECNL. That won't happen. The talent pool in ECNL will remain equal to DA if not superior.

What you have to understand is that 95% or more of the DA kids will be on a very similar level to the ECNL kids, therefore college coaches will still recruit from there. Just how they have continued to recruit from non-ECNL areas these past few years.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistAndShout 19/05/17, 12:41 pm

db10 wrote:Less DA, More DA, Less ECNL, More ECNL...yada yada yada. They're all just pathways.

IIRC Carli Lloyd played neither, nor did Hope Solo (out of the hot bed of soccer that is Richland, WA), nor did Abby Wambach to name a few.

Come on man! You know that doesn't mean squat in this day and age... tell me it isn't so that kids could become a USWNT player without the help and dedication of DA to prop them up... None of this makes sense now... And here I thought letting my kid do underwater basket weaving and water polo would help get her to the USWNT. Now DA is the only way? Wait, or is it ECNL? Wait, or is it being an amazing academic AND a great athlete? Man, this is so confusing anymore. I thought if I got my 13 year old into DA she'd be a shoe in for the WNT cause isn't that the ONLY path now that there is a DA for girls / women as well boys / men? affraid

Without some sarcasm, what do we have? It really is exciting to see all these girls battling for that 1% dream of being a WNT player - there's nothing wrong with dreaming, without dreams what's the purpose anyways? Question is, are the players the ones with the dreams or are the parents living out their dreams through their kids? For the players, soccer is a mere pathway (as stated above) to greater things and those greater things may have nothing to do with soccer ultimately. Good college, good scholarships, good relationships - I think anyone can get those if they're good enough academically and athletically - don't think they're reserved for just the DA athlete, but what do I know, DA is the new shiny toy, until it isn't anymore.

TwistAndShout
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next