North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Equal Playing Time For Players ?  Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Equal Playing Time For Players ?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Equal Playing Time For Players ?  Empty Equal Playing Time For Players ?

Post by Hersoccerdad 27/07/17, 10:04 pm

Opening this dialogue for a friend. At what age (if any) do you feel (as a parent OR coach),
that players minutes in a game should be based on what they produce on the field. And if willing, please reply if your a parent or coach so we can get a perspective from both. Me personally, I feel that all players on a team SHOULD have "some" game time, but I do feel that the more you produce, the more playing time. And I feel this should start at the Select age. And I'm a parent.

Hersoccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Equal Playing Time For Players ?  Empty Re: Equal Playing Time For Players ?

Post by mlwfrisco 28/07/17, 07:38 am

Parent, as soon as we start paying thousands of $, playing time should be based on merit.

mlwfrisco
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by melashbrew 28/07/17, 08:10 am

Just my opinion...if a player is "good enough" to be on the team, the player should get some field time. If the player is holding the team back or can't keep up with the rest of the team, I think it is ridiculous for a coach to sign this player knowing they won't ever play. That said, the amount of play time a player gets should be based on merit.

melashbrew
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 28/07/17, 08:25 am

I am not talking about winning here. However as soon as you start talking about paying this kind of money then best players will get the majority of playing time. If you want starter minutes then you may have to jump down a notch to get it. If you are on a top team and are getting 10 minutes a game you should rethink why you wanted on that team.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by BigKickKiddo 28/07/17, 08:46 am

50/50 play is for rec soccer at every age, if you play club at any age it is with the understanding that 50/50 play doesn't apply. If you think it does, it means your DD may need a more developmental minded team...
BigKickKiddo
BigKickKiddo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TxFutbal 28/07/17, 08:47 am

Parent of 2 girls (1 teenage and one 2nd yr select). Playing time is based on merit but at academy/1st year select, developmental girls (kids who are not quite at the level of the team) should be given quality playing time vs. minutes. What I mean by this is playing time should be based on the level of play in the game you are playing on a particular week. Less time should be given when playing more competitive teams and more time when playing teams at your DD level.

Once you get into 2nd year select, playing time is earned based on capability and effort in practice. Attitude and ability is key to getting on the pitch. At U12 and above it's all about a girl putting her skill and will into the game to make a difference and sacrifice for the team.

TxFutbal
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SafariAl 28/07/17, 09:38 am

Parent - Once they get to Select level

SafariAl
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28/07/17, 09:51 am

When the first FBR is published.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 28/07/17, 10:03 am

KeeperCommander wrote:I am not talking about winning here. However as soon as you start talking about paying this kind of money then best players will get the majority of playing time. If you want starter minutes then you may have to jump down a notch to get it. If you are on a top team and are getting 10 minutes a game you should rethink why you wanted on that team.

Agree.

The complication is a 'pay to play' system and the fact you are locked in for a year so you don't have the option to step down for a year. The coach has all the power.

If you change the commitment to allow a player to opt out and step down a level at any point, the dynamics would be much different.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 28/07/17, 10:14 am

Lefty wrote:
KeeperCommander wrote:I am not talking about winning here. However as soon as you start talking about paying this kind of money then best players will get the majority of playing time. If you want starter minutes then you may have to jump down a notch to get it. If you are on a top team and are getting 10 minutes a game you should rethink why you wanted on that team.

Agree.  

The complication is a 'pay to play' system and the fact you are locked in for a year so you don't have the option to step down for a year.  The coach has all the power.

If you change the commitment to allow a player to opt out and step down a level at any point, the dynamics would be much different.
I am sure 99% of all parents understand this. It is the few that think Sally is better than she is and then bitch that she is not getting equal time to show it. Too bad that some clubs determine playing time instead of the coaches. By that I mean they stipulate a certain roster level that each team must meet. Thus decreasing the playing time for players say 16-18 of those 18 player max rosters. Players 1-15 get 85% of minutes or more. 16-18 made the roster to max out the revenue and possibly allow for a scholarship. Now imagine soccer was like Select basketball and how they are not bound by any means.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 28/07/17, 11:29 am

Hersoccerdad wrote:Opening this dialogue for a friend.  At what age (if any) do you feel (as a parent OR coach),
that players minutes in a game should be based on what they produce on the field. And if willing, please reply if your a parent or coach so we can get a perspective from both. Me personally, I feel that all players on a team SHOULD have "some" game time, but I do feel that the more you produce, the more playing time. And I feel this should start at the Select age. And I'm a parent.
Oh I am a parent. Explain what you mean by some game time. I would say a very select few players do not see any game time during the course of a game. As players get older then they may be a touch more prevalent than I would realize but I would think that most players get some. Now if by some you mean significant then that is different.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by taborskulner 28/07/17, 12:13 pm

Couldnt agree more. Experience has shown me that the higher the league the team plays at the lower the chances are there is an equal distribution of playing time. Exceptions exist of course where say a team has 15 equally skilled players that are ECNL caliber. Aparent should also keep in mind the coach plays matchups. A physical opponent or extremely fast opponent he or she may set a lineup to counter accordingly.

But in a general sense being on a top team getting 10 minutes a game or not playing at all is detrimental to a kids psyche and confidence no matter how much parenting and life lesson messages you can impart on your DD. They are still kids. They lack the perspective that comes with age. My advice be honest with yourself and have direct conversation with your coach before you sign and sign with a team where your kid will play a lot. If they dominate at a lower level then youll know they are ready for a higher level of competition. Until then keep them on a team where they can play a lot.

taborskulner
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 28/07/17, 12:22 pm

I'm going to throw a bit of a wrench into this...

I believe that every player on the team should get a minimum amount of minutes in the game PER SEASON.

1. We (coaches, parents, players) all admit that game experience is crucial to development
2. Not every game comes down to one players performance for 10 minutes. There are blowouts both ways every season. This is a prime opportunity to "clear the bench"
3. The player was good enough to make the team. Thus she should be good enough to make the field.
4. Parents are paying to coach to develop their DD so by the end of the year she should be a better player than when she started, if not the coach did not do their job.
5. The player needs positive reinforcement for their work in practice. If they don't see it they WILL shut down. Watch the bench on bad teams with bad coaches and you will usually see distant looks from the players on the bench. They simply don't care.
6. If a coach doesn't rotate players the starters will wear down both physically and mentally especially the younger you get. Very few players can make a full game on the field.
7. We are told every day that youth soccer is about development. Having a player sit on the bench does not develop them.
8. Rotating players gives a good coach time to coach the players coming off the field. only joystick coaches need to pay full attention to the field every moment.
9. Rotating players allow players to learn all positions which many experts say develop better all around players. Who knows, maybe that back up striker is the best CB on the team?
10. $$$$

All this being said I fully agree a player needs to work for their playing time as it instills drive and competition.
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 28/07/17, 12:53 pm

ElClassico wrote:I'm going to throw a bit of a wrench into this...

I believe that every player on the team should get a minimum amount of minutes in the game PER SEASON.

1. We (coaches, parents, players) all admit that game experience is crucial to development
2. Not every game comes down to one players performance for 10 minutes. There are blowouts both ways every season. This is a prime opportunity to "clear the bench"
3. The player was good enough to make the team. Thus she should be good enough to make the field.
4. Parents are paying to coach to develop their DD so by the end of the year she should be a better player than when she started, if not the coach did not do their job.
5. The player needs positive reinforcement for their work in practice. If they don't see it they WILL shut down. Watch the bench on bad teams with bad coaches and you will usually see distant looks from the players on the bench. They simply don't care.
6. If a coach doesn't rotate players the starters will wear down both physically and mentally especially the younger you get. Very few players can make a full game on the field.
7. We are told every day that youth soccer is about development. Having a player sit on the bench does not develop them.
8. Rotating players gives a good coach time to coach the players coming off the field. only joystick coaches need to pay full attention to the field every moment.
9. Rotating players allow players to learn all positions which many experts say develop better all around players. Who knows, maybe that back up striker is the best CB on the team?
10. $$$$

All this being said I fully agree a player needs to work for their playing time as it instills drive and competition.
1-9 only work out this way if player actually made the team that fits her the best. The coach takes players that actually come out to tryouts. If coach wants 18 players and 19 come out then only one is sent away. Leaving the question did the right 18 make the team. Prob not it was just the 18 that came out.
That being said if a team with 18 truly great players, there needs to be a little congruency with the playing time, and yes they have to/should earn it.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 28/07/17, 12:59 pm

IMO if the coach, who's getting paid tens of thousands, picks 18 then those are the "right players". He's supposedly the expert so he should be fine with it.
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 28/07/17, 01:19 pm

Why shouldn't he be fine with it. A coach would rather have the 18 great players. But now he has to satisfy 18 players with PT. Sometimes it isn't the right players. It's the only players. Take a look at some of those DA rosters. You will find a good many players still happy and content on ECNL. Those DA coaches didn't get all the right players, they just got the ones that showed up. Some older age groups excluded.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 28/07/17, 01:53 pm

First, let's not make every conversation into one about DA. The majority of the girls are playing D2 and D3 and those teams are under a lot less pressure to win.

Second, if you're a coach who takes a girl who you have no intention of playing...you're an ass and in whole scheme of things you shouldn't be coaching.
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KeeperCommander 28/07/17, 02:10 pm

ElClassico wrote:First, let's not make every conversation into one about DA. The majority of the girls are playing D2 and D3 and those teams are under a lot less pressure to win.

Second, if you're a coach who takes a girl who you have no intention of playing...you're an ass and in whole scheme of things you shouldn't be coaching.
I agree with both. However the DA was just an example. As far as the second one, yes that makes him less an admirable coach and more just part of the big problem.

KeeperCommander
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 28/07/17, 04:50 pm

Ask the coach BEFORE you sign where he projects her on the roster, and hold him to his words. All kids should play SOME or she shouldn't be on that team. If there is a pattern of benching or NO explanation why she is benched, then discuss it with coach. You CAN always move team-may be more expensive or whatever, but if the kid hates soccer, it isn't worth being on that team.
dadof3
dadof3
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by brett79 28/07/17, 06:08 pm

Sho'Nuff wrote:When the first FBR is published.

You are absolutely correct!

brett79
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jogobonito06 28/07/17, 06:44 pm

Just don't join an academy or select team that has more than 12 for 9v9. Pretty simple.

jogobonito06
jogobonito06
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdivahmom22 30/07/17, 05:08 pm

dadof3 wrote:Ask the coach BEFORE you sign where he projects her on the roster, and hold him to his words. All kids should play SOME or she shouldn't be on that team. If there is a pattern of benching or NO explanation why she is benched, then discuss it with coach. You CAN always move team-may be more expensive or whatever, but if the kid hates soccer, it isn't worth being on that team.

Quick question to add to this conversation, at what age does your DD become responsible for her soccer development. By that I mean, when do we as parents back away and have DD talk to the coach herself if she is concerned about playing time or what she needs to do to improve and obtain more field time?

soccerdivahmom22
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TxFutbal 30/07/17, 05:57 pm

1st year select. Coaches really don't care about what the parents think anyway.. If the player wants on the field she needs to bring it in practice and make sure she executes on what the coach wants her to execute. Practice hard, play hard, and minimize mistakes and the player will stay on the field as long as she can run. Otherwise, she will spend minutes on the bench until she is able to do what coach wants her to do.

TxFutbal
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdivahmom22 30/07/17, 06:54 pm

TxFutbal wrote:1st year select.  Coaches really don't care about what the parents think anyway..  If the player wants on the field she needs to bring it in practice and make sure she executes on what the coach wants her to execute.  Practice hard, play hard, and minimize mistakes and the player will stay on the field as long as she can run.  Otherwise, she will spend minutes on the bench until she is able to do what coach wants her to do.

Thanks, I agree completely but I have only heard ONE parent in my DD's 5 years of Club play agree with me on that. I always told DD that she plays soccer, I don't. I am her taxi and bank, not her voice.

soccerdivahmom22
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Keeper Mom 16/08/17, 10:17 am

melashbrew wrote:Just my opinion...if a player is "good enough" to be on the team, the player should get some field time. If the player is holding the team back or can't keep up with the rest of the team, I think it is ridiculous for a coach to sign this player knowing they won't ever play. That said, the amount of play time a player gets should be based on merit.

Agreed!
I think there's a difference in rec soccer/ vs competitive soccer. If you are paying to be on a competitive team then I feel it is the coach's duty to only sign quality/ qualified players. This is my biggest concern with newly signing my daughter on a competitive academy team. I see players on her team that frankly- are NOT good. It will be telling to see if the coach is more selective this summer when select tryouts begin. If they sign all existing players from the academy team then our fears will come true- they are money hungry and not picking the best players to round out the team.

On rec- I think you should play everyone. Maybe not an equal amount of time but everyone should get their chance.

Parent

Keeper Mom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next