North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup

Post by oldboot 06/03/12, 10:40 am

go99 wrote:the problem with that is that u14 is at the end of the development cycle. By many accouns too late to have the major impact on the player that is needed.

If that is true, then that is the fault of the "system" - a 14 year old's brain isn't even fully developed - especially the frontal lobe, which controls such things as reasoning, judgment and the ability to plan or use strategy - all of which are abilities that effect a soccer player's capacity to play the kind of higher level, technical soccer that is being discussed.

oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup

Post by Slakemoth 06/03/12, 11:10 am

Just FYI, here is a link with highlights from the match.. US certainly created some chances... Morgan especially.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/japans-women-repeat-their-win-over-u-s/

Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 06/03/12, 11:14 am

Interesting series of articles on US system:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=616267&sec=us&root=us&cc=5901

"One issue is that kids rarely play soccer outside of a structured setting, meaning the kind of improvisation and experimentation that players develop organically in other countries is tougher to come by in the United States. But that is a cultural obstacle too large for the USSF to influence with one program. For Payne, the focus was placed on problems that were no less significant, but could be more easily solved.

"I think the biggest thing we found, something that was very consistent [across countries], was that we had the ratio of training time to game time exactly reversed," Payne said. "In those countries that are so good at developing great players, for every hour of playing time, they sometimes have five or more hours of training time. We were doing the opposite."

Payne's statements are borne out by a recent UEFA study, shown to ESPNsoccernet, that examined the amount of practice and game time at some of the biggest clubs in the world. At places like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ajax and Bayern Munich, even at the earliest age groups, the practice-to-game ratio was a minimum of 6-to-1. The number of games at the oldest age groups was no more than 40 in a given year, with younger players maxing out at 25. Contrast this with the 80-100 games Americans were playing in the same span and it's clear where the U.S. system was falling short.

Another impediment is Americans' tendency, in all sports, to look at won-loss records as a way of measuring success at even the youngest levels of youth sports, rather than looking at whether players are developing the proper techniques. This emphasis on results encourages coaches to rely on athleticism to win games, or to be content with playing ugly soccer."

oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 06/03/12, 11:19 am

oldboot wrote:
go99 wrote:the problem with that is that u14 is at the end of the development cycle. By many accouns too late to have the major impact on the player that is needed.

If that is true, then that is the fault of the "system" - a 14 year old's brain isn't even fully developed - especially the frontal lobe, which controls such things as reasoning, judgment and the ability to plan or use strategy - all of which are abilities that effect a soccer player's capacity to play the kind of higher level, technical soccer that is being discussed.

Yes but to play at that high tactical level, every kid on the team must be highly technically skilled as individual. It does not matter what your reasoning, tactics, and judgement when you lack the fundamental skill to execute. That is the muscle memory that is developed by 14. They don't think first touch, check to the ball, or passing accuracy they just do it.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 06/03/12, 11:31 am

Slakemoth wrote:Just FYI, here is a link with highlights from the match.. US certainly created some chances... Morgan especially.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/japans-women-repeat-their-win-over-u-s/

YEs what I saw was the US attempting to outrun, outjump, or outpower a physically weaker opponent. So the problem is the chances they are creating are not the kind you can depend on to win games. Womens soccer is changing as the rest of the world comes on to the womans side of the game.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboot 06/03/12, 11:42 am

go99 wrote:
oldboot wrote:

Yes but to play at that high tactical level, every kid on the team must be highly technically skilled as individual. It does not matter what your reasoning, tactics, and judgement when you lack the fundamental skill to execute. That is the muscle memory that is developed by 14. They don't think first touch, check to the ball, or passing accuracy they just do it.

I agree - skill mastery is critical - what I am questioning is the idea that it is too late for a 14 year old to develop those skills and become a sucessful college and/or professional level player.
oldboot
oldboot
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 06/03/12, 12:27 pm

go99 wrote:
Slakemoth wrote:Just FYI, here is a link with highlights from the match.. US certainly created some chances... Morgan especially.

YEs what I saw was the US attempting to outrun, outjump, or outpower a physically weaker opponent. So the problem is the chances they are creating are not the kind you can depend on to win games. Womens soccer is changing as the rest of the world comes on to the womans side of the game.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. I hear your point.
In the link I provided Heather O'Reiley has some pretty interesting quotes that I think you would agree with 100%
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 08/03/12, 11:32 am

Pay for play soccer clubs are the basic venue for us player development. And for the most part youth soccer Clubs don't care about developing players for the wnt. They are concerned with getting the most profit for doing the least amount of work. The concept of more practices vs games has been discussed forever. Keep in mind no one was keeping the clubs from doing this in the first place, then in an odd twist, the creation of ECNL has managed to reduce the number of games, but has not delived on the 'more practice' end of it. There simply is no financial incentive to do so. To develop world class players they should train 4-6 times a week for 2-3 weeks then play a game or 2. (1-2 games and 18 practices in a 3 week period) From what i've seen it's been 2 practices a week for 3 weeks and then 1 game. (1-2 games and 6 practices) so they've actually reduced the touches by eliminating the weekly game without increasing the practices. You may be seeing something different, but its why we won't see US players trained in this manner play skillful soccer.

Even even before Monday’s loss, O’Reilly acknowledged, with a sense of respect, that Japan’s approach, and that of other Asian women’s teams, had altered the calculus of the game.

“There are two very different styles: they are very patient and technical — they almost overpass — and their challenge is to get better in the final third of the field awnd impose themselves on the game more,” she said. “Our battle is sometimes we are too direct and athletic, and we’re trying to break the habit and become more technical and sophisticated by making the extra pass. We’re both growing and evolving, but maybe in the opposite fashion.

“We’ve come to see we just can’t get by on athleticism, competitiveness and determination — that will always separate Americans. It’s about seeing the game as a chess match and breaking down teams instead of just imposing our will.”
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/03/12, 11:37 am

That is the best damn quote by a player I have ever seen on the women's side. To bad there are way to many out there in this country and especially in this part of the country that want a bumper sticker and that W to brag about and that's it. Win now or go home!!

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 08/03/12, 11:53 am

best quotes from a players ever. Sign her up for coaching
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by phat_dime 08/03/12, 10:45 pm

Is the sky falling?

Just checked FIFA Women World Rankings.http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/women/index.html USA is #1.

For years the WNT could stiff arm the world for the most part. It was tough to beat our game for where the level of women soccer was. Now, the possession/strategy play is closing the gap on the caveman(woman) style. Think most here agree the possession style will eventually be the strategy of the future for the women on the world stage. Suspect the Americans will adjust when required, but it will take some time for the transition as well.

In the end, our American culture does what is needed to win at most levels (rec, academy, select, college, WNT). I just watched an ECNL game where the "better" team lost. The losing team repeatedly strung together 8 passes, horseshoed the ball around nicely, had 2-3 times as many shots. However, the winning team had a true superstar forward, and their winning strategy was to "boot" the ball up in hopes of some magic....and it was a magical display of athleticism by the superstar. My buddy and I consciously counted the winning team's passing....and we did not see more than two passes strung together by the winning team until the "boot" came. Unfortunately, the win just perpetuated the strategy of bigger/faster/more athletic players beating the possession strategy.

Last year, USA Hockey changed its strategy for youth hockey because America was falling so far behind. The training was to be more like Sweden/Europe with 3 practices to 1 game. They moved the checking age to be 2 years later so strategy play could be further developed instead of headhunting hitting. Furthermore, the littlest ones don't play real games but a bunch of small sided games so they can develop skills. Maybe US Soccer does something similar (e.g. move CL 14, more small sided games, etc). However, doubt a proper national strategy comes until the WNT falls significantly off its world perch. Until that descent happens, people can moan...but the results speak for themselves…..ugly soccer sometimes win. Efforts are nice, results count.

phat_dime
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer 09/03/12, 12:25 pm

I truly believe that this is a culural issue that I really don't see the US overcoming. The fact of the matter remains that the best athletes in the US do not play soccer. Now, there are some VERY, VERY good athletes that play soccer, but it is not like it is in other countries.

The other issue I see is exactly what go99 stated. We do not seem to have a system that is implemented accross the board. Take a look at Southlake football. They certainly do not have the best athletes in the state, however they are implemented into a system early on and they master that system.

We are making a huge mistake if we want to see our National Teams play a style like that of Barcelona, Spain or Brazil. The fact of the matter is that we don't have the inate ability to understand the game or the system that they have had for numerous years.

Furtermore, we seem to be enamored with turning every kid into Messi. We try and train the way we think that can be accomplished. We need to realize that he is a freak of nature, much like Michael Jordan was, and come to the realization that players like that are once in a lifetime.

The bottom line is that the country will continue to produce bigger, faster and stronger kids along with the occassional very gifted technical player. There is a mix to be had here, but we must develop a system compatible to what we are. This isn't going to guarantee any World Cups, but even the best countries in the world win every 4 years.

On the technical side, I feel that we are spending way too much time on "skill" and I say that because everyone has a different definition of that word. What sets apart the teams above from others is two things...first touch and vision. Vision to see a run and make it as well as vision to make the dangerous pass to the runner. I thought Barcelona's display the other day was as good as I have ever seen, but until I watched the replay I didn't remember that 3 of Messi's goals came from balls over the top of the defense. Often times I think we overlook the importance of soccer off the ball. Sure you have to be able to keep possession in a game, but you only have to keep it long enough in order for someone to make and someone to see the dangerous run to create a scoring opportunity.

Wow, my hands are tired. Sorry for the longwindedness of the post.

SYSTEM!

slrsoccer
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 09/03/12, 03:00 pm

Well while watch games, I saw a japanese team come to disney in the u16 bracket and win 6-0 using a group of 12 to 14 yr old. The American team ran as hard as they could but it wasn't even a competative game. The time for change is now, not when we can no longer win at all. Just ask England
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 09/03/12, 03:06 pm

oh and as far as systems go Japans was created by Zico from the top down. The country has a vison of what they see as soccer. Whatever that vision is, we need to find it. I think something based on a old brazillian style would be better that a spain/barca style. Ball movement was just used to create space and isolation and then use a player more talented (mare athletic in our case) than your defender to either score or break down your defensive shape. A couple of years ago a brazillian team did this to Japan at the Dallas cup. Japan had the best ball movement of the tournament. Brazil moved the ball just enough so that the right forward ended up isolated with a defender who was not capable of stoping him alone.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1more_dd_dad 09/03/12, 04:38 pm

slrsoccer wrote:I truly believe that this is a culural issue that I really don't see the US overcoming. The fact of the matter remains that the best athletes in the US do not play soccer. Now, there are some VERY, VERY good athletes that play soccer, but it is not like it is in other countries.

The other issue I see is exactly what go99 stated. We do not seem to have a system that is implemented accross the board. Take a look at Southlake football. They certainly do not have the best athletes in the state, however they are implemented into a system early on and they master that system.

We are making a huge mistake if we want to see our National Teams play a style like that of Barcelona, Spain or Brazil. The fact of the matter is that we don't have the inate ability to understand the game or the system that they have had for numerous years.

Furtermore, we seem to be enamored with turning every kid into Messi. We try and train the way we think that can be accomplished. We need to realize that he is a freak of nature, much like Michael Jordan was, and come to the realization that players like that are once in a lifetime.

The bottom line is that the country will continue to produce bigger, faster and stronger kids along with the occassional very gifted technical player. There is a mix to be had here, but we must develop a system compatible to what we are. This isn't going to guarantee any World Cups, but even the best countries in the world win every 4 years.

On the technical side, I feel that we are spending way too much time on "skill" and I say that because everyone has a different definition of that word. What sets apart the teams above from others is two things...first touch and vision. Vision to see a run and make it as well as vision to make the dangerous pass to the runner. I thought Barcelona's display the other day was as good as I have ever seen, but until I watched the replay I didn't remember that 3 of Messi's goals came from balls over the top of the defense. Often times I think we overlook the importance of soccer off the ball. Sure you have to be able to keep possession in a game, but you only have to keep it long enough in order for someone to make and someone to see the dangerous run to create a scoring opportunity.

SYSTEM!

As the casual soccer fan, it being my third or fourth favorite, I have a couple of comments and questions to your observations. The first being I do not wholly agree with the sentiment that on the girls/womens side of soccer the best athletes aren't playing soccer. I think it is to the contrary, girls soccer has absolutely the best atheletes. Some will argue track or basketball but when you combine speed, quickness and coordination, I think the females in soccer have to be viewed as the top atheletes followed by basketball. The second observation/question is; will American soccer ever be committed to one national system? If we are truly a "melting pot" society and multi-cultural, will there ever be the committment from foriegn born or second/third generation Americans to fully accept a system other than thier home/parents/grandparents country. We import coaches from all over the world and each has thier own ideas and systems they believe develops best depending on where they came from. With all that in mind and with the girls developing in so many different systems is the play it over the top, beat them with athleticism maybe the best approach we have and one we have to live with? Just asking...
1more_dd_dad
1more_dd_dad
Original Supporting Member
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 10/03/12, 09:24 am

1more_dd_dad wrote:
slrsoccer wrote:I truly believe that this is a culural issue that I really don't see the US overcoming. The fact of the matter remains that the best athletes in the US do not play soccer. Now, there are some VERY, VERY good athletes that play soccer, but it is not like it is in other countries.

SYSTEM!

As the casual soccer fan, it being my third or fourth favorite, I have a couple of comments and questions to your observations. The first being I do not wholly agree with the sentiment that on the girls/womens side of soccer the best athletes aren't playing soccer. I think it is to the contrary, girls soccer has absolutely the best atheletes. Some will argue track or basketball but when you combine speed, quickness and coordination, I think the females in soccer have to be viewed as the top atheletes followed by basketball. The second observation/question is; will American soccer ever be committed to one national system? If we are truly a "melting pot" society and multi-cultural, will there ever be the committment from foriegn born or second/third generation Americans to fully accept a system other than thier home/parents/grandparents country. We import coaches from all over the world and each has thier own ideas and systems they believe develops best depending on where they came from. With all that in mind and with the girls developing in so many different systems is the play it over the top, beat them with athleticism maybe the best approach we have and one we have to live with? Just asking...

Good to see someone else notice! This is exactly what I've been trying to point out to all the smartest-guys-in-the-room on these boards for a couple of years now. They perpetually hold up Barca as the prototypical possession team and the ideal for what our youth should be playing. And I agree! Problem is, they think soccer is an either/or prospect... you are either a possession team or a direct-play team. The fact of the matter is Barca is the best team in the world because they are both the best possession team and the best direct-play team in the world. They do both with equal aplomb. And they will utilize either depending on what the defense is giving them.

The first goal during that record-breaking Champions League game this past week was classic quick-counter direct-play from the back, over the top of the defensive line to a dominate superstar athlete. Sound familiar?

Messi is, without doubt, the quickest player on the pitch when it comes to the first 2-3 steps and covering 15 yards. And that is all he needs to get behind the defense. And the rest of his team is incredibly adept at placing the ball at his feet with perfect timing -- be it an over-the-top chip or a long, laser-like through ball. They lull defenses out of position (or into a comma) with their possession game and then frequently strike with a quick "dump and run" play. Yet the soccer Nazis on this board never castigate them for it -- they just go on lauding their beautiful possession game, never acknowledging their beautiful long-ball game.

So guys, sit back and enjoy this highlight reel from the big game and notice, in addition to Messi's beautiful 2 goals from the crowded center, his two classic over-the-top dump-and-run goals where he, ironically, scores the goals by "dumping" the ball over the goal keeper's head. LM is clearly the king of the dump-and-run. Long live the king!

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by lotuseater 10/03/12, 09:41 am

The thing about Barcelona is, they are able to do both. We only seem to be able to dump and run.

lotuseater
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 10/03/12, 09:47 am

The best soccer players in the world are not the best athletes in the sport. However the top athletes in our soccer programs (youth and nt) are considered our best soccer players. Yrs ago it was the same discussion, but everyone said we were so far ahead and that our women would continue to dominate. Someday the mexican wnt might even beat our wnt, I know that sounds impossible but it is going to happen. What we really need now are some really big fast athletic girls like the asians and mexicans have....
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/03/12, 10:17 am

actually what is missing from the clip was the fact that the possesion in the middle had pulled the defensive backline almost to the halfline in an effort to gain control of the ball then the ball is dumped into the empty space that they created. Barcelona is a possesion team not just in play but in philosophy of the club. The thing that is often missed is that pssesion isn't just done for possesions sake. They use it to move the defense in to a position that suits them and then they do attack very quickly. It is very subtle but the goal was not dump and run. The US will launch the ball from the backline or bery deep in the midfield in an attempt to skip the midfield entirely and outrun a defense nothing subtle or sophisticated and nothing in common or related with what barcelona does. so instead of the clips watch what happens the minutes before the goal because once the clip starts the play was already over. the goal was an inevitability
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 10/03/12, 01:55 pm

go99 wrote:actually what is missing from the clip was the fact that the possesion in the middle had pulled the defensive backline almost to the halfline in an effort to gain control of the ball then the ball is dumped into the empty space that they created. Barcelona is a possesion team not just in play but in philosophy of the club. The thing that is often missed is that pssesion isn't just done for possesions sake. They use it to move the defense in to a position that suits them and then they do attack very quickly. It is very subtle but the goal was not dump and run. The US will launch the ball from the backline or bery deep in the midfield in an attempt to skip the midfield entirely and outrun a defense nothing subtle or sophisticated and nothing in common or related with what barcelona does. so instead of the clips watch what happens the minutes before the goal because once the clip starts the play was already over. the goal was an inevitability
You get this evil hocus pocus bs strategy from backward parts of the world and go home. I almost threw up in my mouth hearing your Catalan mind tricks.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! Kick it! Go Go Go!
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 10/03/12, 07:06 pm

go99 wrote:actually what is missing from the clip was the fact that the possesion in the middle had pulled the defensive backline almost to the halfline in an effort to gain control of the ball then the ball is dumped into the empty space that they created. Barcelona is a possesion team not just in play but in philosophy of the club. The thing that is often missed is that pssesion isn't just done for possesions sake. They use it to move the defense in to a position that suits them and then they do attack very quickly. It is very subtle but the goal was not dump and run. The US will launch the ball from the backline or bery deep in the midfield in an attempt to skip the midfield entirely and outrun a defense nothing subtle or sophisticated and nothing in common or related with what barcelona does. so instead of the clips watch what happens the minutes before the goal because once the clip starts the play was already over. the goal was an inevitability

How is this any different than what I just said? They use possession to draw out the defense and then the attack is very frequently in a dump-and-run fashion. AND YES -- IT IS VERY DELIBERATE AND VERY EFFECTIVE. If the defense is going to give it to them, they will take it all day. They're not dumb asses.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 21/06/12, 10:38 am

Interesting. The U.S. looses the World Cup to Japan in a shoot-out following a lucky corner kick goal, and bam! Three pages of slams erupt on this forum about how U.S. soccer sucks and the women are no longer the best in the world -- that we have been surpassed by other nations who are turning their more technically proficient training loose on their females.

Then the U.S. crushes the Japanese several days ago and not one single comment? Hmmm.

I would say our #1 ranking is perfectly safe. Our female players are the best in the world without doubt.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/06/12, 10:49 am

Lawnboy wrote:Interesting. The U.S. looses the World Cup to Japan in a shoot-out following a lucky corner kick goal, and bam! Three pages of slams erupt on this forum about how U.S. soccer sucks and the women are no longer the best in the world -- that we have been surpassed by other nations who are turning their more technically proficient training loose on their females.

Then the U.S. crushes the Japanese several days ago and not one single comment? Hmmm.

I would say our #1 ranking is perfectly safe. Our female players are the best in the world without doubt.

It is the latest fad from semi-knowledgable soccer parents to jump on the possession bandwagon and then start to criticize any type of soccer that uses athletic attributes. The possession style will come and go and USA women will still be #1 in the WORLD. The possession style is a fad now because of Barcelona but it has hit its peak. Barcelona was knocked out of the CL by an athletic counterattacking Chelsea team that had less then 35 % possesion in that game. Spain will be knocked out of the EURO's by a strong, fast athletic and big GERMAN side.

Back to top Go down

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 21/06/12, 10:55 am

Post-Match Quote Sheet: U.S. WNT 4, JPN 1
U.S. Women's National Team head coach Pia Sundhage and select players discuss the team's 4-1 win against Japan in Sweden.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens-National-Team/2012/06/Post-Match-Quote-Sheet-US-WNT-vs-JPN.aspx

U.S. WNT head coach PIA SUNDHAGE
On the team’s performance:
“I think we had the ability to play to a lot of strengths today. Abby had a great game, Alex Morgan had a great game as well, and so did the midfield. We changed the wing players a little bit [from the Sweden game] and we dominated the midfield which is a hard thing to do against Japan, who keeps the ball all the time. I think they were dangerous, but we also we controlled the game for the most part and in the defense as well. The back four did a great job with the six up front.”

On balancing the attack and making it unpredictable:
“We were able to go direct when their back line stayed high, we have speed up top and I think Abby won every single air ball, and that’s a threat. We gain a lot of confidence doing that. But also when it was on, we were able to change the point of attack and keep it. A player like Tobin Heath, she keeps it and she brings players into the game. They were loyal to the game plan and that was good.”

On Alex Morgan:
“She is unique, there is no doubt about that. And this team brings out Alex Morgan’s performance because we are doing a good job behind her and we find her with the right balls. And you have to give Abby Wambach a lot of credit for the way Alex Morgan is playing. Those two up top are the reason we are playing 4-4-2 and I think it’s a pretty good 4-4-2.”

On the match:
“We won against Sweden and then on one day of rest, we were ready. We changed a few players, but they had fun out there; they wanted to win and they wanted to play a good game. Having that much fun out there is a winning formula.”

U.S. WNT midfielder LAUREN CHENEY
On the big win:
“Obviously, I think we needed that win against Japan for our confidence. They are a great team, but we came out strong and got two goals in the first 10 minutes and I don’t think you can ask for a better start than that.”

On the USA creating a bushel of chances:
“I think our momentum going forward was great. Our attack came from the way we defended, we were extremely organized and right when we won the ball we were looking to go forward and I think that made a big difference.”

On breaking through with a four-goal game against Japan after scoring three goals against them in the previous three matches:
“I think that we respect them so much, that it was a little too much. I think we went into the games knowing they could play, we know they can knock it, and I think this game we came out and knew it was about us, not about Japan and we played our game. I think going forward we know can beat them. They were our nemesis in the World Cup and hopefully this will just build our confidence for the Olympics.”

U.S. defender CHRISTIE RAMPONE
On the team’s mentality in the match:
“We just came out with a great attitude today. We went after them hard and we’ve been working hard on the team defense, putting a lot of pressure on them, and it paid off with that early goal, we kept the momentum going and the team played great today.”

On turning good defense into good offense:
“Being in good (defensive) starting positions is a great way to attack. I think once we earned a lot of turnovers, we went at them with speed, which we haven’t been doing in the past. We put them under pressure and you saw a lot of goals today.”

On the win:
“It gives us a lot of confidence. We have been training really hard to try to get this win. The team feels really great and we are in a good spot right now. We get to go back home, play one more game against Canada in Utah and then we’re off.”

U.S. forward ALEX MORGAN
On the match:
“I am really excited with the way we played. We executed what we worked on. We needed to pressure the Japanese team, we needed to work together on defense and regain the ball after we lost it and I think we did really well with that. A lot of our goals came from our defensive effort so I’m really happy with the result.”

On if she had an extra gear on her second goal:
“On my second goal, I felt a little fast, but at the same time I had some anger in me because I had missed the shot before.”

On the big win:
“At halftime, Pia said she gained a little bit of confidence and with a game like this heading into the Olympics, it helps our confidence as well. It helps us feel at ease with all this preparation that we are putting in. We see the actual results, which is such a great feeling and we are exactly where we want to be heading into the Olympics.”

U.S. forward ABBY WAMBACH
On the win:
“I think that every so often all the things you work on come together. Of course the first 10 minutes were very impressive, getting two goals. We’ve been working on (starting strong) so I think that’s a really good pat on our own backs to continue working on even more difficult things that challenge us.”

On the back and forth match:
“We don’t want to take anything away from Japan. I think the score line maybe read a little different than how the game played out. We created way more chances than them for sure, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t create chances as well. We have things to work on. They scored on another corner kick, and I think that was really good for us at this point. When you win, sometimes you easily sweep things you need to work on under the rug and the fact that they scored on us that way is good for us.”

On the team defense helping the attack:
“Our defense is directly related to how well we can do in the attack. I wonder how many goals we scored today off a great defense play, or a turnover and a counter attack. The transition period and high pressing them is important for us, especially because they are so technical on the ball. We want to rattle them a little bit and I think we did a good job of that.”

On looking forward:
“Anytime you can beat one of the best teams in the world, it feels good. But this is only the beginning. We know we can play even better. We know there were spells in that game where Japan had a little bit of the run of play and we have to OK with that. The game is evolving, the rest of the teams in the world, they are not only getting better, but getting more confident and more capable on the field. So there are going to be times when they are going to get chances. We had to keep telling ourselves that, especially against a team like Japan, even if that does happen, we are OK. We need to stay patient, wait for your opportunities and when you get them, you have to finish them.”

FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by FriscoSoccer2004 21/06/12, 11:08 am

Can anyone answer why this is?

California leads all states with five members of the U.S. Olympic team calling the Golden State their home. Four players from New Jersey hail from the Garden State, meaning half the players on the team are from California or New Jersey.

why California and New Jersey for the most WNT players?
FriscoSoccer2004
FriscoSoccer2004
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 21/06/12, 11:26 am

FriscoSoccer05 wrote:Can anyone answer why this is?

California leads all states with five members of the U.S. Olympic team calling the Golden State their home. Four players from New Jersey hail from the Garden State, meaning half the players on the team are from California or New Jersey.

why California and New Jersey for the most WNT players?

Not too surprising given the talent that SoCal produces, but I'm willing to bet that because so much of the national team infrastructure is based in SoCal, it leads to the coaches knowing more of the local players and that's just who they're comfortable with.

New Jersey? No idea.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next