North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup

Post by Lawnboy 21/06/12, 11:26 am

FriscoSoccer05 wrote:Can anyone answer why this is?

California leads all states with five members of the U.S. Olympic team calling the Golden State their home. Four players from New Jersey hail from the Garden State, meaning half the players on the team are from California or New Jersey.

why California and New Jersey for the most WNT players?

Not too surprising given the talent that SoCal produces, but I'm willing to bet that because so much of the national team infrastructure is based in SoCal, it leads to the coaches knowing more of the local players and that's just who they're comfortable with.

New Jersey? No idea.

Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup - Page 3 Empty Re: Possesion wins again. Japan 1 USA 0 Algarve cup

Post by go99 21/06/12, 11:38 am

not much to comment on. US crushes Japan in a friendlies doesn't erase the fact that they lost to a team they used to dominate on a regular basis that is much slower and smaller at just about every position on the field. The US coach seems to be a little smarter than you are and is trying to make changes. She has said the time that the US can dominate the womens game based on pure athleticism is coming to an end and is making the adjustment "before" that number 1 ranking is gone.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/06/12, 11:47 am

If you think athleticism over-rules possession soccer, you need to stick to football!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/06/12, 12:00 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:
Lawnboy wrote:Interesting. The U.S. looses the World Cup to Japan in a shoot-out following a lucky corner kick goal, and bam! Three pages of slams erupt on this forum about how U.S. soccer sucks and the women are no longer the best in the world -- that we have been surpassed by other nations who are turning their more technically proficient training loose on their females.

Then the U.S. crushes the Japanese several days ago and not one single comment? Hmmm.

I would say our #1 ranking is perfectly safe. Our female players are the best in the world without doubt.

It is the latest fad from semi-knowledgable soccer parents to jump on the possession bandwagon and then start to criticize any type of soccer that uses athletic attributes. The possession style will come and go and USA women will still be #1 in the WORLD. The possession style is a fad now because of Barcelona but it has hit its peak. Barcelona was knocked out of the CL by an athletic counterattacking Chelsea team that had less then 35 % possesion in that game. Spain will be knocked out of the EURO's by a strong, fast athletic and big GERMAN side.

Possession soccer is not a fad, it is a fad to those rooted in the "KICK IT" crowd. There is a reason our mens side is not a dominant force in the mens game. Our women just so happened to have always been the biggest and strongest while the rest of the world really didnt give a rats about the womens game. That isnt the case anymore. Bigger and Faster will not always get it done, controlling a game, controlling speed of play, tempo and flow of a game will on the average get it done time and time again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bierluva 21/06/12, 12:26 pm

If I wanted to watch KICK IT soccer... I would watch Tennis instead... I like the beauty of possession soccer... I like seeing skill, tactical thinking instead of "Kick it to fast forward" then watch some skill on the 1v1 with the keeper.

Bierluva
Bierluva
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 21/06/12, 12:54 pm

I too like possession soccer but am I the only one who thinks it takes skill, knowledge and tactical awareness to place a long through ball right at the perfect spot for a sprinting attcker to run on at the right angle? Playing a style that uses fast aggressive counter attacks is a far cry from kick ball.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffM 21/06/12, 12:55 pm

Lawnboy wrote:
FriscoSoccer05 wrote:Can anyone answer why this is?

California leads all states with five members of the U.S. Olympic team calling the Golden State their home. Four players from New Jersey hail from the Garden State, meaning half the players on the team are from California or New Jersey.

why California and New Jersey for the most WNT players?

Not too surprising given the talent that SoCal produces, but I'm willing to bet that because so much of the national team infrastructure is based in SoCal, it leads to the coaches knowing more of the local players and that's just who they're comfortable with.

New Jersey? No idea.

They know people. People you don't want to meet. People who will make you an offer you can't refuse.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by 00scrmom 21/06/12, 01:52 pm

my2cents wrote:I too like possession soccer but am I the only one who thinks it takes skill, knowledge and tactical awareness to place a long through ball right at the perfect spot for a sprinting attcker to run on at the right angle? Playing a style that uses fast aggressive counter attacks is a far cry from kick ball.

Nope, you're not alone. I watched the US/Japan game and can think of a few times that Rampone (or maybe it was Buehler) beautifully placed the ball to Wambach or Morgan. Great precision.
00scrmom
00scrmom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamondback00 21/06/12, 03:18 pm

I 2nd that. The point of playing possession is to maneuver to an advantage and attempt to score. Playing keep away for the sake of it isn't any better than playing kick ball. If memory serves, in the World Cup final the US had multiple scoring opportunities and multiple shots on goal that were screwed up. If the US takes advantage of just one of those early opportunities, the entire flow of the game changes. Its convenient hindsight to say that Japan's possession game is what beat the US that day. IMO we gave that game away. Yes, the rest of the world is catching up and the US needs to adjust and also produce better soccer players. However, I say don't throw the baby out with the bath water...don't abandon our strengths and take away our innate aggressiveness to try and be something we're not. rather, increase our skill level and raise the complexity of our tactics to better deal with Japan's style.

In terms of our young, developing kids: More 3v3 progressing to 5v5 would be helpful. I also believe all players should play all positions on the field. My dd started as a back, even though she has always been the fastest player on her team. She has since moved on to play both midfield and forward. IMO that was a wonderful experience because she learned the game from different perspectives with different primary objectives - defensive vs offensive. I also believe parents make the mistake of placing an over-emphasis on playing D1. Playing where your dd has the opportunity to make mistakes, during a game, and not get yelled at by her coach is key. The kids should be encouraged to work with the ball and dribble, even if it results in a loss of possession. Kids end up playing kick ball, even if a coach claims not to, when they are scared of making a mistake. For some that means D1 is the right place, but IMO many D1 players would be better off developing their skills in D2 in order to become better players when they get to high school age.

Diamondback00
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21/06/12, 06:43 pm

There is a very big difference in playing possession with strategic balls placed over the top or even long and sending every ball long and down the middle of the pitch to the woman in a mans body that is Wambach.

Who will be there in the near future to replace all those headed goals she has scored over the years? Does Alex Morgan have the frame or style of play to pull that off?

The issue with the US women at this point and the rest of the world catching up is that now the US better make every shot they get on those long balls because the other team possessing the ball for 60-70% of the game is going to severely limit those shots on goal. That is how you end up with the World Cup final or the last game between the two. If the US produced more women at that level that played a possession style with the tactical knowledge it would be game over!

Im out, brisket is calling me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3