North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Advice on select needed Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Advice on select needed

Go down

Advice on select needed Empty Advice on select needed

Post by teamcooper 17/04/12, 11:00 pm

My daughter is an '02. She has played a bit of academy as well as rec. In my opinion, she does very well against rec teams skill wise. She has struggled a bit on some academy teams, not due to skill, but more due to drive/motivation. One minute she wants to play soccer, and the next she would rather play with friends. In practice and games she might look lazy one minute and turn it on the next.

I'm relatively new to the Texas soccer scene and am looking for suggestions/advice. She is finishing up a rec season, and has been practicing with a local club because she has said she wants to play select. Having played competitive soccer as a youth and young adult myself, I understand the many levels of committment from time to financial to dedication. (a bit more hardcore than when I was a youth).

The team she is working out with most likely will end up in one of the lower Plano leagues.

Here is what I know:
1. The jump to select is a huge financial committment
2. My daughter may not be as interested in 3 months as she is now
3. My daughter can be whatever she wants to be, and I am not so naive to think she will earn a college scholarship for soccer.
4. The rec leagues will not challenge her in the future

After all that background, here is my question:
Are the teams that play in the Plano league or another select league that are parent coached. Where the kids can still play against higher level talent without shelling out 3 grand a year?

Can a parent coached team not associated with a club play in these leagues?

Thanks. I may have more questions based on the responses.

teamcooper
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Advice on select needed Empty Re: Advice on select needed

Post by Bicycle Guru-NOT 17/04/12, 11:47 pm

teamcooper wrote:My daughter is an '02. She has played a bit of academy as well as rec. In my opinion, she does very well against rec teams skill wise. She has struggled a bit on some academy teams, not due to skill, but more due to drive/motivation. One minute she wants to play soccer, and the next she would rather play with friends. In practice and games she might look lazy one minute and turn it on the next.

I'm relatively new to the Texas soccer scene and am looking for suggestions/advice. She is finishing up a rec season, and has been practicing with a local club because she has said she wants to play select. Having played competitive soccer as a youth and young adult myself, I understand the many levels of committment from time to financial to dedication. (a bit more hardcore than when I was a youth).

The team she is working out with most likely will end up in one of the lower Plano leagues.

Here is what I know:
3. My daughter can be whatever she wants to be, and I am not so naive to think she will earn a college scholarship for soccer.

Are the teams that play in the Plano league or another select league that are parent coached. Where the kids can still play against higher level talent without shelling out 3 grand a year?

Instead of a parent coached team call this guy. He has started a small club with very low fees. Coached my older son his whole youth career in the big time league with big time clubs but got feed up with all the BS, ridiculous costs, and pressure to win vs player development. Call Jimmy at 469-831-1711, tell him his favorite #13's old man sent you.

If your girl does get more serious/committed in the future you can always cross over to the dark side with the rest of us. affraid
Bicycle Guru-NOT
Bicycle Guru-NOT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by butt3r 18/04/12, 06:50 am

Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:
teamcooper wrote:My daughter is an '02. She has played a bit of academy as well as rec. In my opinion, she does very well against rec teams skill wise. She has struggled a bit on some academy teams, not due to skill, but more due to drive/motivation. One minute she wants to play soccer, and the next she would rather play with friends. In practice and games she might look lazy one minute and turn it on the next.

Here is what I know:

Instead of a parent coached team call this guy. He has started a small club with very low fees. Coached my older son his whole youth career in the big time league with big time clubs but got feed up with all the BS, ridiculous costs, and pressure to win vs player development. Call Jimmy at 469-831-1711, tell him his favorite #13's old man sent you.

If your girl does get more serious/committed in the future you can always cross over to the dark side with the rest of us. affraid

You know there are bots that run through forums like this and others 24/7 just searching for names, emails, and numbers. The valid email address/phone number business is huge, don't kid yourself. Post your phone number on craigslist and email and see how long it takes before you start getting spam and marketting calls. This site probably isn't a big scavenger site, but I am sure it gets some attention and I just thought I would let you know.

Also, back on topic, the top rec teams will actually be pretty good in PYSA as a number of non comitted players jump back into rec. Also, you could probably find a good PPL team that understands her situation and is willing to take her on. I wouldn't sign up for a team shooting for lhgcl without more comittment, because they usually won't tolerate wishy washy attitudes and you could find her perma-benched and still getting paid. Also, avoid trying to start a team 2 months before the first year of select, no matter how cheap or great the coach, chances are it isn't going to make. You'll see established teams blow up over night, start up rarely make this late.
butt3r
butt3r
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerpop76 18/04/12, 08:03 am

First question you need to ask yourself.

Is my DD here because she want's to be here or is she here because I want her to be here?

Also you mentioned you questioned the commitment of your kiddo in regards to playing at a higher level? Yes there is a lot of commitment from the players, but its ultimately the parents who truly need to commit, lots of time and a pretty big chunk of money as well. Remember the longer you keep your kid in "Rec" the harder it's going to be for the coach to break her of bad habits that always seems to follow at the rec level. When I see new kids coming straight out of rec, it seems the coach spends just as much time breaking bad habits and they do teaching new ones. All of our DD's want to be the next Abby Wambach and it's up to us as parents to support them all the way, but remember they are only 10 yrs old and you will see interest in other sports coming soon, swimming, volleyball, basketball, etc, so dont be suprise in another year your kiddo has a change of heart when it comes to sports. The nice thing about select soccer, is they have all kinds of skill levels for whats best for your DD and ultimately whats best for her team to grow and develop.
soccerpop76
soccerpop76
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 18/04/12, 09:07 am

Great question!

You're correct in everything you mentioned and asked.
Some kids like soccer for fun whereas others are in it for college commitments, parent satisfaction, and I have to win mentality. This is a very informative forumn however, you're going to get all kinds of useful and unuseful information.

If your daughter is like 80% of the girls out there that want to have fun then start her in a Plano division. If she's wanting to play soccer for fun let her have fun.

Here are the things I would look for:

1. Talk to the coach and explain your situation and daughters commitment. Explain that she loves soccer but rec isn't challenging. He may say I have a spot for her or the club may have a lower level team for her to practice with.

2. Find teams in your area and make a surprise visit. This way you get to see the kids and the coach without him/her putting on a performance for new parents. See if the kids are having fun and if they're really learning something during practice.

3. Also, check out the parents. Are they all sitting around talking to each other or just spreadout all over the field keeping to themselves. This is important because you're going to be spending a lot of time with the kids and the parents.

4. Check out the team schedule and take your daughter to a game. This way you can see the parents, coach, and the kids in a game environment. Is the coaching talking to the kids? Is that Loud mouth dad going to be there ever weekend? Are the parents and kids having fun.

These are a few things that I can think of at this time. (I'm only on my second cup of coffee)

Good luck.
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 18/04/12, 10:02 am

teamcooper wrote:One minute she wants to play soccer, and the next she would rather play with friends. In practice and games she might look lazy one minute and turn it on the next.
Is there an academy program that already has a few of her friends? If so, why not start by looking there? If not, does she have any friends in Rec that are good enough to go to an academy team with?

teamcooper wrote:Are the teams that play in the Plano league or another select league that are parent coached?
No, most teams in Plano Premier are not coached by one of the player's parents. Most are coached by select-level coaches whose team did not qualify to play in LHGCL.

teamcooper wrote:Where the kids can still play against higher level talent without shelling out 3 grand a year?
There are lower cost options but you're going to have to look and be a smart shopper. By making savings your primary goal you will likely have to be flexible in other aspects.

teamcooper wrote:Can a parent coached team not associated with a club play in these leagues?
Yes, an independent team can play in a select league as long as they register the team correctly and meet all the requirements. (Fees paid, properly licensed coach, etc.)
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicycle Guru-NOT 18/04/12, 10:40 am

butt3r wrote:
Bicycle Guru-NOT wrote:

Here is what I know:

You know there are bots that run through forums like this and others 24/7 just searching for names, emails, and numbers. The valid email address/phone number business is huge, don't kid yourself. Post your phone number on craigslist and email and see how long it takes before you start getting spam and marketting calls. This site probably isn't a big scavenger site, but I am sure it gets some attention and I just thought I would let you know.

Also, back on topic, the top rec teams will actually be pretty good in PYSA as a number of non comitted players jump back into rec. Also, you could probably find a good PPL team that understands her situation and is willing to take her on. I wouldn't sign up for a team shooting for lhgcl without more comittment, because they usually won't tolerate wishy washy attitudes and you could find her perma-benched and still getting paid. Also, avoid trying to start a team 2 months before the first year of select, no matter how cheap or great the coach, chances are it isn't going to make. You'll see established teams blow up over night, start up rarely make this late.
Thanks Butt3r. Good advice, thought right after I hit send probably should have sent teamcooper a PM.
Bicycle Guru-NOT
Bicycle Guru-NOT
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18/04/12, 11:19 am

frankly i would keep her in rec if possible. select is a big time and money commitment. if she likes it ok but you feel she might not in 3 months...stay out! lots of practices, games etc in hot hot weather for qualifying, 2 practices a week, scrimmages, practices when it is miserable outside and much more pressure. just my thoughts based on what you wrote....

Back to top Go down

Post by santos.l.halper 18/04/12, 12:24 pm

My advice is to use May and June as a tryout period.

Simulate a Select schedule (go to 2-3x week practice/ skills) and explain to her that this is what it's like to go pro. Use the time to try out different clubs/coaches. Probably go at least 2-3 times per club to get a good feel for it. Let the coaches know that she is available as a guest player for tourneys, so she can experience game conditions at this level.

Make sure your daughter understands that this is what her year would be like (plus Sat games and regular tournaments) if she goes select.

If you start in May (she is Rec, so she can practice right now, no need for a release), then by mid-June you can sit down and have a go/no go decision. Make sure she understands that "go" means she will sign an 11 month contract. Also, go over what your expectations are (remind her of the cost to the family), and what the coach and team expectations are. By then, you all will have all the information you need to decide together.

So my advice is to gather as much information as you can about the teams (what your options are) and how serious your daughter really is, and whether this is the right level for her.

With respect to Rec, if she stays in Rec, find a team in the highest division, so she can be challenged. Or ask for her to "play up" one or two years. Or join a co-ed team. But always look for chances to work on skills - private coaching, camps, etc.

Have fun.

santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 18/04/12, 01:16 pm

As a coach of two teams in PSA (not PYSA), I can tell you first hand that there are some VERY good teams and qualified coaches in these leagues. Many of the coaches are not parents with daughters on the team but actually paid for their positions - although the cost is a fraction of the select expense. PSA is a truly open league such that teams can be formed independently, so it is not really "rec" soccer by definition. In fact, numerous academy teams and even some select teams play in PSA. It's just a matter of finding the right group. Unfortunately the outdoor season is about to end, and only playoffs remain. If you check the PSA website, you should be able to catch some of the matches this weekend if you want to evaluate teams/coaches.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ltrain007 25/04/12, 10:56 pm

Mutiny is one of the lower cost clubs and their teams are picking up steam. Look at the 01 girls in PPL.

Ltrain007
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 26/04/12, 03:29 am

Here is what I know:

Quit being cheap and sign your daughter up for select. Teach her to elbow her opponents and she'll be a starter on any D2 team.
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by midfieldersdad 11/09/12, 12:13 am

Here is what I know:

I would suggest taking your daughter out to some other club practices, because it is a huge financial commitment and not all clubs are the same. But you may find, (and you know your player) the local club may not be all that inspiring. Take her to a few clubs, find teams that far surpass her skills and see if that sparks a competitive flame.

Lower priced cubs are appealing because of cost and some may even have some qualified coaches with seemingly impressive resumes. However, the coach’s record tells the tale. Check the team's history in standings, how far did the coach get his teams, check:

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings.aspx, for ranking information.

I have seen some low costs clubs have some very effective coaches and training, but I urge you to consider, the cost associated with dues is for the coaches, clubs that DO NOT pay their coaches do not keep quality coaches very long and have losing records to prove it.

If you are worried about your DD being committed for more than 3 months, perhaps you should consider going to a different league to play REC. Some leagues are having slightly different levels of competition. I would recommend Garland, Rowlett, Plano, Richardson, Dallas, or any suburb with a good population density.

As for the large clubs, I have had experiences there too. I actually like the larger more established clubs. The prices are high and if you are looking to advance well beyond REC, beyond competitive, and into classic or ODP or ECNL. Larger clubs are an easier way to accomplish that goal. Usually the large clubs have facilities, better coaches (because they're paid) and larger pools from which to draw talent. Clubs with multiple teams in the same age groups are invaluable. It makes guesting with teams and moving to and from teams within the club more easily. As your DD progresses you'll want to find a team more suitable to your DD's talents.

And if the commitment is all too much there is always the option of playing your daughter up in age group from 02 to 01

If you are looking for an 01 team, and if cost is a factor, in my opinion, and I am not affiliated with this club. I would go see the Dallas Kicks. There are multiple 01 teams, the coaching is phenomenal and the girls understand the game very well.

In any case good luck to you and your DD!

Last edited by midfieldersdad on 11/09/12, 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I can!)
midfieldersdad
midfieldersdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 12/09/12, 08:21 pm

midfieldersdad wrote:

Here is what I know:

I would suggest taking your daughter out to some other club practices, because it is a huge financial commitment and not all clubs are the same. But you may find, (and you know your player) the local club may not be all that inspiring. Take her to a few clubs, find teams that far surpass her skills and see if that sparks a competitive flame.

Lower priced cubs are appealing because of cost and some may even have some qualified coaches with seemingly impressive resumes. However, the coach’s record tells the tale. Check the team's history in standings, how far did the coach get his teams, check:

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings.aspx, for ranking information.

I have seen some low costs clubs have some very effective coaches and training, but I urge you to consider, the cost associated with dues is for the coaches, clubs that DO NOT pay their coaches do not keep quality coaches very long and have losing records to prove it.

If you are worried about your DD being committed for more than 3 months, perhaps you should consider going to a different league to play REC. Some leagues are having slightly different levels of competition. I would recommend Garland, Rowlett, Plano, Richardson, Dallas, or any suburb with a good population density.

As for the large clubs, I have had experiences there too. I actually like the larger more established clubs. The prices are high and if you are looking to advance well beyond REC, beyond competitive, and into classic or ODP or ECNL. Larger clubs are an easier way to accomplish that goal. Usually the large clubs have facilities, better coaches (because they're paid) and larger pools from which to draw talent. Clubs with multiple teams in the same age groups are invaluable. It makes guesting with teams and moving to and from teams within the club more easily. As your DD progresses you'll want to find a team more suitable to your DD's talents.

And if the commitment is all too much there is always the option of playing your daughter up in age group from 02 to 01

If you are looking for an 01 team, and if cost is a factor, in my opinion, and I am not affiliated with this club. I would go see the Dallas Kicks. There are multiple 01 teams, the coaching is phenomenal and the girls understand the game very well.

In any case good luck to you and your DD!
What else interesting did you dig up in the threads from 5 months ago?
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down