North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers? Empty If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers?

Post by deepthoughts 11/01/12, 04:10 pm

We are 6 1/2 months away from signing day. Lots of people who visit this forum are experiencing "going Select" for the first time.

If you have "been there, done that" with an older kid, what is your #1 best piece of advice that you can pass down to the newbies about select soccer, what its like, competitive sports in general, keeping things in perspective, etc?

Although I may be in the minority, I think that these forums should be used for something better than just what-team-is-maybe-blowing-up rumors.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers? Empty Re: If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers?

Post by jae 11/01/12, 04:44 pm

IMO, if your DD is already playing for a D1/D2 team, going select will not be too different than what you and your DD are already going through now.

A few differences are:
1) More expensive. So if you are not able to afford $5,000 a year (a rough number that includes dues, uniforms, travel expenses, etc.), look for alternatives (rec, independents)
2) One year commitment. In theory, both the player and the team/coach/club are agreeing (signing a contract) to stay together for 1 year. There are ways to reneg on the agreement, but it could get ugly and potentially expensive
3) More intensity. This clearly depends on your current situation. But in general, more intense practices, games, tournaments, etc. Also, there is less "hand-holding" and "accomodating" of individual players and more emphasis on what is best for the team. So, if DD does not get along with other players or if you do not like other parents or the coach/club/manager, it will be a LONG year. On the other hand, if your DD is with a good team (i.e., a good fit with other players, coach, other parents, and club), it will be a lot of fun!

Specific advice will depend heavily on your DD's specific situation and on what your DD and you are looking for in select soccer. As you can plainly see on this forum, there are as many different goals/objective/priorities as there are posters on this forum. If you have specific questions or areas of concern, just ask.

jae
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers? Empty Re: If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers?

Post by jae 11/01/12, 04:56 pm

One specific advice...

Work on establishing good relationships with other clubs, teams, coaches, parents, etc., and don't burn bridges!

Last year, for '01s, a few teams folded at the last minute (less than 1 month from signing), few key players (actually parents) changed teams (and significantly affecting the dynamics and strength of the affected teams), few coaches "cut" players (or told them there will not be a spot for them on the team) close to signing, etc. It's a business and and a team sport. You are not always in the driver's seat!

jae
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by texflats 11/01/12, 05:02 pm

deepthoughts wrote:Wwhat is your #1 best piece of advice[/color] that you can pass down to the newbies about select soccer

I have ten man years of Select Experience. My number 1 piece of advice:

Relax.

texflats
texflats
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

If you have been through "going Select" with an older DD, what is your best advice for 02 first-timers? Empty Things to remember

Post by allhatnocattle 11/01/12, 05:13 pm

1. the parent should relax. the more uptight you are, the more likely your daughter will become uptight.
2. look at multiple clubs if you're not looking to stay with your academy. my daughter played rec through spring of 4th grade.
3. get to know as many parents of the clubs you're looking at as you can. most will provide plenty of insight unknowingly.
4. have your daughter "guest" in a tournament with prospective clubs. gives you a good idea as to what game day is like.
5. get to know coaches; what they're philosophy is like with respect to development of your girl.

there are plenty more.
allhatnocattle
allhatnocattle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 11/01/12, 05:17 pm

Ditto on 'RELAX'.

It REALLY doesn't matter if your kid wins or ever gets better - just have fun. I have a U15 who is playing worse than last year and enjoying it more than ever, it's a much better scenario!

We had a choice to go to a more competitive situation (academy), opted for classic and haven't regretted it at all. FYI - there is truth in the adage that the better the team, the more intense the situation - if you are expected to win every week, there will be tension every week.

Don't buy into the ECNL, ODP, Classic League hype - let fun and friendships be your guide, you'll be better in the long run, if those lead you to ECNL, ODP, Classic, so be it. Your kid, not you, will be the determining factor if she plays in high school or in college. My U12 is better than my U15, but a heckuva a lot less interested in the sport (mainly the friends), so it equates to a much more laid back situation.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by texflats 11/01/12, 05:48 pm

My U17 kid was a scrawny thing at U11 and I was advised on several occasions by more than one coach that "your kid should not play soccer. she might get hurt". Ahem. (What a bunch of crap!) I like to say that she was the last kid selected by the last team in Plano Premier. This was after a D3 coach that had promised her a spot, gave that spot to a big strong kid that had never played the game. My kid said, "dad how could that be? she has no skills?" That team was the top team in D3 in the fall; did not make it in qualifying for U12 and they blew up and disbanded before U13. My kid kept working and getting better and growing and moved up to D3, then to D2. She went from a bench player to a starter to a 90 minute player and became the captain of her team.

Its a long road from U11 to college. Its a marathon not a sprint. Kids grow, develop, change, etc. And of course this is soccer. It does not mean anything in the big picture. So RELAX enjoy the ride. All of the bits and pieces of advice here are right on. Keep your eyes open. Dont burn bridges. Try out for lots of clubs. LISTEN TO YOUR KID! :-) And Relax its gonna work out just fine.
texflats
texflats
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 11/01/12, 06:26 pm

texflats wrote:My U17 kid was a scrawny thing at U11 and I was advised on several occasions by more than one coach that "your kid should not play soccer. she might get hurt". Ahem. (What a bunch of crap!) I like to say that she was the last kid selected by the last team in Plano Premier. This was after a D3 coach that had promised her a spot, gave that spot to a big strong kid that had never played the game. My kid said, "dad how could that be? she has no skills?" That team was the top team in D3 in the fall; did not make it in qualifying for U12 and they blew up and disbanded before U13. My kid kept working and getting better and growing and moved up to D3, then to D2. She went from a bench player to a starter to a 90 minute player and became the captain of her team.

Its a long road from U11 to college. Its a marathon not a sprint. Kids grow, develop, change, etc. And of course this is soccer. It does not mean anything in the big picture. So RELAX enjoy the ride. All of the bits and pieces of advice here are right on. Keep your eyes open. Dont burn bridges. Try out for lots of clubs. LISTEN TO YOUR KID! :-) And Relax its gonna work out just fine.

cheers cheers cheers

I'm not sure what's better... The advice or the avatar!!
I keep looking over both.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by rcjctcac 12/01/12, 06:16 am

As a team manager I wouldn't advise skipping practices or games. This is a family commitment. You can't stay informed if you aren't there. Kids will regurgitate about 1/10 of what they hear;Chose wisely when picking a team. Research the club. Most teams are having open practices now, I'd advise going to a few. Part of being on a team is commitment. The coach needs to know he can rely on his or her players. All and all if you find the right team/club it is an amazing ride. To see our DD light up when we hit the practice fields or games makes it all worth it. Hope this helps...
rcjctcac
rcjctcac
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/01/12, 06:40 am

LISTEN TO YOUR KID! Teach her to be satified with her situation, follow through with her commitments, and to make the best of each and every game and practice! It will be all over before you can blink! Sit back and enjoy it while it last!

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 12/01/12, 09:31 am

1. Relax and don't get caught up in the, "My kid is playing for a Div I/II team."
To many parents will place their kids on a Div I/II team when their kid should be on a lower level team.
Then they'll get upset when Lil' Susie only gets 5 minutes of playing time per half.

2. Ask the coach where does he see your kids on the team? Out of the 16 kids is she #11 or #16.
That's a fair question for both your kid and coach.

3. Private lessons is a must. Most kids in Div I have participated in private lessons at some time in the past.
They may even be participating at this time. Have them focus on fundamentals and how to be a technical player.
Only problem is in NTX most coaches want BIG and FAST. If you don't have at least you'll have skills which will payoff in the future.

4. Make sure your DD is happy with her team because she will be spending a LOT of time with them.
Also, parents are important because you'll be having a lot of lunches and hotel time together.

5. Don't worry about the colleges until they're U16/U17. Most college coaches aren't looking at kids until they're U17 anyway.

Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 12/01/12, 09:33 am

deepthoughts wrote:We are 6 1/2 months away from signing day. Lots of people who visit this forum are experiencing "going Select" for the first time.

If you have "been there, done that" with an older kid, what is your #1 best piece of advice that you can pass down to the newbies about select soccer, what its like, competitive sports in general, keeping things in perspective, etc?

Although I may be in the minority, I think that these forums should be used for something better than just what-team-is-maybe-blowing-up rumors.
Save the money and let your dd develop into a lady. Not this:
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 12/01/12, 09:46 am

Its Me wrote:1. Relax and don't get caught up in the, "My kid is playing for a Div I/II team."
To many parents will place their kids on a Div I/II team when their kid should be on a lower level team.
Then they'll get upset when Lil' Susie only gets 5 minutes of playing time per half.

2. Ask the coach where does he see your kids on the team? Out of the 16 kids is she #11 or #16.

3. Private lessons is a must. Most kids in Div I have participated in private lessons at some time in the past.
They may even be participating at this time. Have them focus on fundamentals and how to be a technical player.
Only problem is in NTX most coaches want BIG and FAST. If you don't have at least you'll have skills which will payoff in the future.

4. Make sure your DD is happy with her team because she will be spending a LOT of time with them.
Also, parents are important because you'll be having a lot of lunches and hotel time together.

5. Don't worry about the colleges until they're U16/U17. Most college coaches aren't looking at kids until they're U17 anyway.

While he makes some good points, this last statement is wrong. Girls are committing early than ever. The greatest number of coaches are watching the U16 girls. We had 10 of 18 committed before signing as U17's.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 12/01/12, 09:58 am

Uncle Numanga wrote:
Its Me wrote:1. Relax and don't get caught up in the, "My kid is playing for a Div I/II team."

While he makes some good points, this last statement is wrong. Girls are committing early than ever. The greatest number of coaches are watching the U16 girls. We had 10 of 18 committed before signing as U17's.

Your are correct. Curious, was your team one of the top 3 teams in Div I?
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by deepthoughts 12/01/12, 10:39 am

02 readers, please note that some comments at being posted on the related thread found in the 01 forum.
Here is that link:
01 Forum Comments to 02ers.
deepthoughts
deepthoughts
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by santos.l.halper 12/01/12, 11:01 am

Make it a good experience for your kid, one that she enjoys and looks forward to. Both games and practices. If the coach/club makes either games or practices miserable, then consider other options.

It doesnt matter how many private lessons, what division/league she plays in, what the coach's pedigree is, or what the club logo on the jersey says, if your kid quits out of lack of interest.

At the end of the day, it should be about a kid wanting to play a game she loves, in a good environment. Period.
santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by OOrah 12/01/12, 02:51 pm

deepthoughts wrote:We are 6 1/2 months away from signing day. Lots of people who visit this forum are experiencing "going Select" for the first time.

My top advice points are:

1 - Don't be afraid to try out / change teams. Getting stuck on the wrong team for misguided loyalty reason or she has friends reason is just a bad decision. Your DD needs to be challenged and in a positive environment. She will make friends on the next team too. Believe it or not, not every coach gets angry at his players. Too many coaches believe in the stick vs the carrot.

2 - Move your DD to a team where she is a solid starter, like #3 - #8 on the team, but not to a team where she is #1 / #2 or #9 or below. Sitting on the bench blows for self-confidence. I have seen so few players go from the bench to captain. Mostly bench players wind up staying bench players. When it goes right, academy is a filtering system that helps kids land on the right team for their ability, where they are important but have room to grow too.

3 - Don't try to move to THE top teams like the top 1 or 2. That is a pressure cooker where the parents are wound supertite and emergency parent meetings happen with one or two losses. Those teams can't be happy when they win because it is expected. If they only beat the #9 team 2-0, people are bent that not enough goals were scored. It is way way better to be on team #7 or #8 than it is to be on team #1. Almost every game is a great challenge and every win a great celebration. There is a lot of good being the underdog if the team is competitive.

4 - If your DD will sit on the bench on a D1 team, aim for a middle of the pack D2 or D3 team where she plays. It is better to play in Plano or Arlington and be acknowleged as valuable to the team, than it is to sit on the pine in Highlands.

5 - Watch the coach during practice and games, both games where the coach is winning and games where the coach is losing, before joining. Does the coach motivate or issue threats and intimidate? The girls will learn a lot of life lessons from soccer and all team sports. Like it or not, this coach you pick will leave a lasting impression.

OOrah
OOrah
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 12/01/12, 02:54 pm

Its Me wrote:
Uncle Numanga wrote:

Your are correct. Curious, was your team one of the top 3 teams in Div I?

Yes
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 12/01/12, 02:56 pm

OOrah wrote: My top advice points are:

1 - Don't be afraid to try out / change teams. Getting stuck on the wrong team for misguided loyalty reason or she has friends reason is just a bad decision. Your DD needs to be challenged and in a positive environment. She will make friends on the next team too. Believe it or not, not every coach gets angry at his players. Too many coaches believe in the stick vs the carrot.

2 - Move your DD to a team where she is a solid starter, like #3 - #8 on the team, but not to a team where she is #1 / #2 or #9 or below. Sitting on the bench blows for self-confidence. I have seen so few players go from the bench to captain. Mostly bench players wind up staying bench players. When it goes right, academy is a filtering system that helps kids land on the right team for their ability, where they are important but have room to grow too.

3 - Don't try to move to THE top teams like the top 1 or 2. That is a pressure cooker where the parents are wound supertite and emergency parent meetings happen with one or two losses. Those teams can't be happy when they win because it is expected. If they only beat the #9 team 2-0, people are bent that not enough goals were scored. It is way way better to be on team #7 or #8 than it is to be on team #1. Almost every game is a great challenge and every win a great celebration. There is a lot of good being the underdog if the team is competitive.

4 - If your DD will sit on the bench on a D1 team, aim for a middle of the pack D2 or D3 team where she plays. It is better to play in Plano or Arlington and be acknowleged as valuable to the team, than it is to sit on the pine in Highlands.

5 - Watch the coach during practice and games, both games where the coach is winning and games where the coach is losing, before joining. Does the coach motivate or issue threats and intimidate? The girls will learn a lot of life lessons from soccer and all team sports. Like it or not, this coach you pick will leave a lasting impression.

#3 IS JUST SILLY
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Me 12/01/12, 03:06 pm

OOrah wrote:

There is a place for everyone in NTX.
However, from experience if your child is able to play in Lake Highlands then find a Div I, II, or III team for them. It's really hard to move a kid from Arlington or Plano to a Div I or II team because of the pace of play. I had a hard time moving my U17 son from Arlington when he was 14 because coaches didn't think he could keep up with the pace of play coming from Arlington. Most coaches would rather take a chance with a kid already in the league. After getting on a team at U15 it's been easier to stay.

Just my 2cents!
Its Me
Its Me
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/01/12, 03:24 pm

OOrah wrote:

One caveat that you need to know, especially if you are considering signing with a team in one of the 'big' clubs... You sign your contract with the team/club, not with the coach. Clubs can, and will, change coaches without warning and often without parental input. The coach you go to QT with may not be the coach you play the league with. The #1 '01 teams at Texans and 'Feet both had coaching changes between QT and and the start of LHGCL league play this year.

Last edited by bwgophers on 13/01/12, 09:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by OOrah 12/01/12, 03:43 pm

Its Me wrote:
OOrah wrote:

There is a place for everyone in NTX.
However, from experience if your child is able to play in Lake Highlands then find a Div I, II, or III team for them. It's really hard to move a kid from Arlington or Plano to a Div I or II team because of the pace of play. I had a hard time moving my U17 son from Arlington when he was 14 because coaches didn't think he could keep up with the pace of play coming from Arlington. Most coaches would rather take a chance with a kid already in the league. After getting on a team at U15 it's been easier to stay.

Just my 2cents!

No, I think you are right that moving out of Plano or Arlington later is dang hard. But the point I was trying to make is that you should find the best team (more or less) where your DD is a solid starter. If your kid won't start on a Highlands team and is sitting in slot 15 last to sub in during a half, I think you are in a bad situation, and its better to drop down and play for confidence reasons. But its tough to be faced with that kind of choice.
OOrah
OOrah
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by texflats 12/01/12, 04:05 pm

OOrah wrote:

I disagree with most of these points.

#1 - Being on team with friends is nearly always a good choice if it motivates your kid. Being a "solid starter" on team where your kid hates the coach or the other girls is the thing that will almost always lead to failure. Listen to your kid. They will tell you where the right fit is for them.

#2 - See point above about the "solid starter" stuff. And see previous post about my kid the one who went from bench player to captain. The reason for her success is that SHE was motivated. She wanted to play. She told me which coaches worked for her and which ones did not. One of the coaches that she wanted to play for, was a guy without a proven LHGCL record and he came off as somewhat nuts. I was not impressed and if it was my choice I would not have let her play for this guy. But I followed my advice- "Relax", "listen to the kid". The most important thing is that she is playing and happy not anything else. She was going to be miserable and quit with the coach that I thought was the best choice. What happenned? After two years she learned more for the nut job coach than she had in the previous four years. And a bunch of good players were never able to be successful with this same coach. Its a personal thing between the kid and the coach. I did not see it. My dd did see it; she told me that this was the guy she wanted to play for. Thats all you need.

#3 If you are top player there is nothin wrong with being on the top team. See Uncs comment.

#4 This is a gross oversimplification. Getting quality minutes is important. Learning and being in a place that your dd enjoys is also important. If you can do both great.

#5 Actually I agree with this point. Watch the coach. The coach is going to make an impact on the kid. But also listen to what the kid tells you about the coach.

texflats
texflats
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachr 12/01/12, 04:20 pm

The city of Arlington sucks. Just saying
coachr
coachr
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next