North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Is ODP worth it? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Is ODP worth it?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is ODP worth it? Empty Is ODP worth it?

Post by GrandTXSoccer 06/08/13, 10:18 am

I honestly don't have a clue, it's been years since my DD went through it but I keep getting asked by friends of mine with younger kids looking to try it for the first time. All I know is years ago it was a pretty cool thing and the coaching was outstanding, however over the last couple of years I've heard that it wasn't worth it and definitely not worth it at the younger ages. I'd heard it's really more about the money and less about truly being a development program.

What's the boards opinion?

GrandTXSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Is ODP worth it? Empty Re: Is ODP worth it?

Post by Guest 06/08/13, 10:27 am

It is another form of select soccer. Pay to Play Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed 06/08/13, 10:33 am

kickballrules wrote:It is another form of select soccer. Pay to Play Smile

Far less expensive than select soccer though. I think it is easily worth it. Most of the coaches are pretty good.

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy 06/08/13, 11:09 am

No

Big Daddy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by axlefoley 06/08/13, 11:20 am

yes
axlefoley
axlefoley
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 06/08/13, 11:29 am

I'm not sure who keeps saying it is expensive. I find it to be very cheap comparatively. If your DD makes the Regional Camp in the summer, then you are looking to spend some $$$ for travelling. But if they don't, then they have gotten more touches, different coaches to listen and learn from, and good competition to practice/play against. The opportunities there are great to play and be seen.

In my personal experience, my DD got invited to move up a year and join the older ODP team at Nationals (here in Frisco). She got to play against older and faster competition from other states all weekend. The cost? Not a dime.

In the end, it probably isn't for everyone, and don't expect this to be your ticket to replace Wambach on the WNT. This is just a venue to play and learn at a very reasonable price.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by old man 06/08/13, 12:35 pm

No. It was okay for a while but with ECNL it has slid down the list of groups to be a part of

old man
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 06/08/13, 06:14 pm

I'm a fan, but I also say yes to my DD for just about everything.

ODP used to be much smaller, numbers are large now, but heck coaching ratios are good and it is a really good workout with lots of touches. So, if you look over the coaches on the site, you see a lot of good ones and some you will have no idea about.

Many theories out there, but one main suggestion.... Car POOL, then who really cares if you only drive to 1-2 practices each season. It no time commitment for you then. You know you DD will love it: time with other girls in the car, soccer, smoothies, soccer, .....

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by setplay 06/08/13, 10:19 pm

Yes
setplay
setplay
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JPMoe70 07/08/13, 12:01 am

I felt the time my DD has spent in the ODP program was worth it. Nice to hear different coaches views/pointers/direction/input.

JPMoe70
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.KnowItAll 07/08/13, 12:28 am

My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.
Mr.KnowItAll
Mr.KnowItAll
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/08/13, 06:12 am

Has anyone received the registration e-mail for the fall season?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 07/08/13, 06:35 am

Mr.KnowItAll wrote:My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.

NIA; 1st post? welcome to the boards.... are you the twin brother of Setplay?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 07/08/13, 06:36 am

BUNDESLIGA wrote:Has anyone received the registration e-mail for the fall season?
nope not yet....should be soon.

-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DDPlays4Snacks 07/08/13, 04:51 pm

GrandTXSoccer wrote:I honestly don't have a clue, it's been years since my DD went through it but I keep getting asked by friends of mine with younger kids looking to try it for the first time. All I know is years ago it was a pretty cool thing and the coaching was outstanding, however over the last couple of years I've heard that it wasn't worth it and definitely not worth it at the younger ages. I'd heard it's really more about the money and less about truly being a development program.  

Yes, worth it, from touches on the ball, to interacting with players from other teams, to the variety of coaches, well worth it.
DDPlays4Snacks
DDPlays4Snacks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmon_Man 07/08/13, 05:19 pm

DDPlays4Snacks wrote:
GrandTXSoccer wrote:I honestly don't have a clue, it's been years since my DD went through it but I keep getting asked by friends of mine with younger kids looking to try it for the first time. All I know is years ago it was a pretty cool thing and the coaching was outstanding, however over the last couple of years I've heard that it wasn't worth it and definitely not worth it at the younger ages. I'd heard it's really more about the money and less about truly being a development program.  

Yes, worth it, from touches on the ball, to interacting with players from other teams, to the variety of coaches, well worth it.  

cheers 
Cmon_Man
Cmon_Man
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.KnowItAll 07/08/13, 05:46 pm

Hook It wrote:
Mr.KnowItAll wrote:My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.

NIA; 1st post? welcome to the boards.... are you the twin brother of Setplay?

Thanks, I don't know setplay but I like his avatar:lol: 
Mr.KnowItAll
Mr.KnowItAll
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by keeperdad2003 08/08/13, 09:55 am

How much time commitment is needed for ODP?
Does it conflict with the club soccer ?
keeperdad2003
keeperdad2003
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 08/08/13, 11:17 am

I do not think it is a huge time commitment. 10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays. A short week long camp if selected. That is really it. It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand. Club activities rule over ODP activities.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 08/08/13, 11:40 am

textigerfan wrote:I do not think it is a huge time commitment.  10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays.  A short week long camp if selected.  That is really it.  It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand.  Club activities rule over ODP activities.
Yep. Club takes priority over ODP in NTX. Not so in other states. We were in a tournament in Orlando and playing some team from another state, and I was talking with some of their parents. They were quick to tell me they were without 2 of their best players because they had ODP and did not make the trip (right after they went down 2-0). I was perplexed. What kind of ODP situation takes priority over club? They said it was some ODP friendly games.

ODP in that state (I don't remember which) took priority over club events. They told me that is how it was. They couldn't believe that NTX had club first and ODP second.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 11:51 am

MoveYourFeet wrote:
textigerfan wrote:I do not think it is a huge time commitment.  10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays.  A short week long camp if selected.  That is really it.  It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand.  Club activities rule over ODP activities.
Yep. Club takes priority over ODP in NTX. Not so in other states. We were in a tournament in Orlando and playing some team from another state, and I was talking with some of their parents. They were quick to tell me they were without 2 of their best players because they had ODP and did not make the trip (right after they went down 2-0). I was perplexed. What kind of ODP situation takes priority over club? They said it was some ODP friendly games.

ODP in that state (I don't remember which) took priority over club events. They told me that is how it was. They couldn't believe that NTX had club first and ODP second.
such an easy decision. one i pay 2500 dollars for and the other is for touches and fun. pretty easy...

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 08/08/13, 12:24 pm

silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

such an easy decision. one i pay 2500 dollars for and the other is for touches and fun. pretty easy...

And it is that sentiment that has allowed club to suck the life out of ODP here and replace it with Academy , pre- academy, ENCL and whatever else there is out there now that are profit driven for the clubs.

Believe it or not what drives that situation in other states is that ODP does still attract the top talent and coaches consider it a call up for the player and an honor for the club. Contrast that to NTX where the a big club will not even acknowledge when a player makes the Region III ODP team and is named captain of it.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 08/08/13, 01:24 pm

my2cents wrote:
silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

And it is that sentiment that has allowed club to suck the life out of ODP here and replace it with Academy , pre- academy, ENCL and whatever else there is out there now that are profit driven for the clubs.  

Believe it or not what drives that situation in other states is that ODP does still attract the top talent and coaches consider it a call up for the player and an honor for the club. Contrast that to NTX where the a big club will not even acknowledge when a player makes the Region III ODP team and is named captain of it.
Is ODP worth it? 4359281973_i_concur_RE_Wikileaks_s500x351_111816_580_answer_3_xlarge
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 02:25 pm

my2cents wrote:
silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

maybe, but its still an easy call, follow the money...

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Hamster 08/08/13, 04:48 pm

I know some folks in SoCal and ODP is a big deal for their clubs. The clubs brag on how many ODP players they have signed, etc...
Mia Hamster
Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next