North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Is ODP worth it? - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Is ODP worth it?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is ODP worth it? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is ODP worth it?

Post by SD69 13/11/13, 10:24 pm

DD, who is still in academy as a U10, just completed her 2nd practice on Sunday. Can't speak for the parents of U11 and U12 parents, but her practicing with and against quality girls one and two years older than her is helping. Even the other '04s that she knows about are very good, she had a RASE girl in her group last week. So for her age, the competition alone makes it worth it.

Also, The coach to player ratio is high and the environment is very professional. It has exposed her to different coaching techniques as there have been about 8 different coaches coaching her and they spend time with each one.

Been very happy with the experience for my DD so far.

SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 14/11/13, 01:15 am

soccerdad1969 wrote:DD, who is still in academy as a U10, just completed her 2nd practice on Sunday. Can't speak for the parents of U11 and U12 parents, but her practicing with and against quality girls one and two years older than her is helping. Even the other '04s that she knows about are very good, she had a RASE girl in her group last week. So for her age, the competition alone makes it worth it.

Also, The coach to player ratio is high and the environment is very professional. It has exposed her to different coaching techniques as there have been about 8 different coaches coaching her and they spend time with each one.

There shouldn't any 04's out unles they have an 03 birthdate which makes them a 03 in ODP.
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 14/11/13, 08:52 am

03 birthdate.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 14/11/13, 09:11 am

turftoe9 wrote:
soccerdad1969 wrote:DD, who is still in academy as a U10, just completed her 2nd practice on Sunday. Can't speak for the parents of U11 and U12 parents, but her practicing with and against quality girls one and two years older than her is helping. Even the other '04s that she knows about are very good, she had a RASE girl in her group last week. So for her age, the competition alone makes it worth it.

There shouldn't any 04's out unles they have an 03 birthdate which makes them a 03 in ODP.
There are players that try out a year early. An 04 can be in the 03 ODP mix.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by GrandTXSoccer 14/11/13, 10:58 am

Unless I'm mistaken, ODP goes by birth year not NTX soccer year, so yes technically there could be someone playing in the 04 age group that is also in the 03 ODP group. It happened this year with girls in the 03 group being in the 02 ODP group. Kind of a reason I think it's a little early to start some of this stuff but as the saying goes, a fool (ntx soccer parent) and their money are soon parted.

Personally I wouldn't send a DD to ODP until after they mature around age 12 & 13, it's not like you are getting other worldly soccer training that you can't find in about 100 different places in NTX. Maybe not in some other states but in NTX the training at ODP isn't much better than what you will find at most of the larger clubs and many of the better ind.

GrandTXSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 14/11/13, 11:20 am

GrandTXSoccer wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, ODP goes by birth year not NTX soccer year, so yes technically there could be someone playing in the 04 age group that is also in the 03 ODP group. It happened this year with girls in the 03 group being in the 02 ODP group. Kind of a reason I think it's a little early to start some of this stuff but as the saying goes, a fool (ntx soccer parent) and their money are soon parted.

Personally I wouldn't send a DD to ODP until after they mature around age 12 & 13, it's not like you are getting other worldly soccer training that you can't find in about 100 different places in NTX. Maybe not in some other states but in NTX the training at ODP isn't much better than what you will find at most of the larger clubs and many of the better ind.
I know of a number of DD's that went out to ODP tryouts a year early (yes, the year before their actual birth year). A true 04 can make the 03 ODP pool.

And comparatively, ODP is inexpensive, especially if you want to compare it to private lessons. Too many people characterize it as a money grab, but it is about the cheapest thing my DD has ever done with soccer, especially when you consider the bang for your buck.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou 14/11/13, 11:22 am

GrandTXSoccer wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, ODP goes by birth year not NTX soccer year, so yes technically there could be someone playing in the 04 age group that is also in the 03 ODP group. It happened this year with girls in the 03 group being in the 02 ODP group. Kind of a reason I think it's a little early to start some of this stuff but as the saying goes, a fool (ntx soccer parent) and their money are soon parted.

Agree, the ODP training is not much more than what your DD is getting with her club practices or through her ind. skill trainer. The benefits of ODP is being selected for the sub regional tournaments ie. southern Cal and college station, and regional camps ie. Oklahoma and Alabama. Your DD working hard getting selected or called up to play against other states and their talented players ie. south texas, Oklahoma, Florida, North Carolina.

Zizou
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 14/11/13, 11:45 am

MoveYourFeet wrote:

I know of a number of DD's that went out to ODP tryouts a year early (yes, the year before their actual birth year). A true 04 can make the 03 ODP pool.

And comparatively, ODP is inexpensive, especially if you want to compare it to private lessons. Too many people characterize it as a money grab, but it is about the cheapest thing my DD has ever done with soccer, especially when you consider the bang for your buck.
per ODP website.

How is player eligibility determined?
Eligibility for ODP is determined by the player’s birth date, not their soccer year (i.e. a child born in 1997 is a ’97 in ODP). 2013/2014 is the first year we have added a new 2003 pool to ODP. A child born in 2003 is now eligible to participate in ODP. A child born in 2004 or younger is not eligible to try out for the 2013/2014 seasons. Players born in 1996 or older are considered to be “aged out”. Therefore, they are no longer eligible to participate in ODP.
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/13, 11:51 am

turftoe9 wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

per ODP website.

Eligibility for ODP is determined by the player’s birth date, not their soccer year (i.e. a child born in 1997 is a ’97 in ODP). 2013/2014 is the first year we have added a new 2003 pool to ODP. A child born in 2003 is now eligible to participate in ODP. A child born in 2004 or younger is not eligible to try out for the 2013/2014 seasons. Players born in 1996 or older are considered to be “aged out”. Therefore, they are no longer eligible to participate in ODP.
It doesn't work that way in reality. There are 04 birth year players in ODP currently. ODP is great and gives the girls a chance to play against high level players and receive recognition as being an elite player if they make one of the regional teams. It also looks great on a resume for a college soccer coach and can get you noticed. If a girl has a goal of playing in college, she should do ODP.

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 14/11/13, 12:14 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:
turftoe9 wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

per ODP website.

It doesn't work that way in reality.  There are 04 birth year players in ODP currently.  ODP is great and  gives the girls a chance to play against high level players and receive recognition as being an elite player if they make one of the regional teams.  It also looks great on a resume for a college soccer coach and can get you noticed.  If a girl has a goal of playing in college, she should do ODP.  

I remember when a 99 player made the 97 ODP team. She decided not to do it at that time and retried as a 98 and played with that group. No matter what the rule says and how you interpret it, there are younger players playing with older groups. Deal with it.

Last edited by MoveYourFeet on 14/11/13, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying sentence)
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jsullivan81 14/11/13, 12:25 pm

MoveYourFeet wrote:
RunsLikeWind wrote:
turftoe9 wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

per ODP website.

It doesn't work that way in reality.  There are 04 birth year players in ODP currently.  ODP is great and  gives the girls a chance to play against high level players and receive recognition as being an elite player if they make one of the regional teams.  It also looks great on a resume for a college soccer coach and can get you noticed.  If a girl has a goal of playing in college, she should do ODP.  

I remember when a 99 player made the 97 ODP team. She decided not to do it at that time and retried as a 98 and played with that group. No matter what the rule says and how you interpret it, there are younger players playing with older groups. Deal with it.
I remember walking to school, uphill, BOTH ways, barefoot in the snow.

jsullivan81
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3