North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Is ODP worth it? - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Is ODP worth it?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is ODP worth it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ODP worth it?

Post by Mia Hamster 08/08/13, 04:48 pm

I know some folks in SoCal and ODP is a big deal for their clubs. The clubs brag on how many ODP players they have signed, etc...

Mia Hamster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed 08/08/13, 05:26 pm

silentparent wrote:
my2cents wrote:
silentparent wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:
textigerfan wrote:I do not think it is a huge time commitment.  10 sessions or so a year, usually Sundays.  A short week long camp if selected.  That is really it.  It can conflict at times with club activities but they understand.  Club activities rule over ODP activities.
Yep. Club takes priority over ODP in NTX. Not so in other states. We were in a tournament in Orlando and playing some team from another state, and I was talking with some of their parents. They were quick to tell me they were without 2 of their best players because they had ODP and did not make the trip (right after they went down 2-0). I was perplexed. What kind of ODP situation takes priority over club? They said it was some ODP friendly games.

ODP in that state (I don't remember which) took priority over club events. They told me that is how it was. They couldn't believe that NTX had club first and ODP second.
such an easy decision. one i pay 2500 dollars for and the other is for touches and fun. pretty easy...
And it is that sentiment that has allowed club to suck the life out of ODP here and replace it with Academy , pre- academy, ENCL and whatever else there is out there now that are profit driven for the clubs.  

Believe it or not what drives that situation in other states is that ODP does still attract the top talent and coaches consider it a call up for the player and an honor for the club. Contrast that to NTX where the a big club will not even acknowledge when a player makes the Region III ODP team and is named captain of it.
maybe, but its still an easy call, follow the money...
Follow the money? That really is illogical. More money doesn't equal better. The decision should be follow the better coaching. If you have good ODP coaches and so-so club coaches ODP should be your priority. If it is the other way around, club get priority. Just because you pay 2500 doesn't make it better.

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiki-taka 08/08/13, 05:29 pm

Mia Hamster wrote:I know some folks in SoCal and ODP is a big deal for their clubs.  The clubs brag on how many ODP players they have signed, etc...
My DD was attending a soccer camp on the east coast and found that ODP was a huge thing and that it was esteemed above club play. Campers had even selected the camp due to the Camp Director being either the ODP director or some level of involvement in Region 1.

Seems like here in NTX we have everything reversed: ODP, Club Soccer Format, ( i.e.Parents creating the teams, or selecting the coaches), instead of a player tries out for a club, then the Club determines whether the player will be accepted and at what level she will be placed. Maybe our NTX System is a symptom of lack of domination on the national scene?
Tiki-taka
Tiki-taka
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 08/08/13, 05:38 pm

Mr.KnowItAll wrote:
Hook It wrote:
Mr.KnowItAll wrote:My DD plays for the Oklahoma ODP program & we love it! We went to College Station in February & she attended the Norman & Alabama camps this summer.

NIA; 1st post? welcome to the boards.... are you the twin brother of Setplay?

Thanks, I don't know setplay but I like his avatar:lol: 
scratch 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 08/08/13, 05:41 pm

Tiki-taka wrote:
Mia Hamster wrote:I know some folks in SoCal and ODP is a big deal for their clubs.  The clubs brag on how many ODP players they have signed, etc...
My DD was attending a soccer camp on the east coast and found that ODP was a huge thing and that it was esteemed above club play.  Campers had even selected the camp due to the Camp Director being either the ODP director or some level of involvement in Region 1.  

Seems like here in NTX we have everything reversed: ODP, Club Soccer Format, ( i.e.Parents creating the teams, or selecting the coaches), instead of a player tries out for a club, then the Club determines whether the player will be accepted and at what level she will be placed.   Maybe our NTX System is a symptom of lack of domination on the national scene?  
Man, if that is really the case we are backwarda$$ for sure her in NTX. So many clubs and even the coaches here are actually somewhat down playing ODP... not sure if they are just trying to hoard the money, oops, I meant mindshare...

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 06:46 pm

"Follow the money? That really is illogical. More money doesn't equal better. The decision should be follow the better coaching. If you have good ODP coaches and so-so club coaches ODP should be your priority. If it is the other way around, club get priority. Just because you pay 2500 doesn't make it better."

no, its not. i spent a fortune for her to play. we practice year round, play year round,  the club IS the focus of her soccer. Plus she has a good coach. ODP is a sideshow and has 10 practices a year. Her club is her priority and odp is for fun and touches. not sure how 10 practices a year is more beneficial than year round. at odp, they barely know your daughters name and you think the coaching is better like that? lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/13, 07:09 pm

silentparent wrote:"Follow the money? That really is illogical. More money doesn't equal better. The decision should be follow the better coaching. If you have good ODP coaches and so-so club coaches ODP should be your priority. If it is the other way around, club get priority. Just because you pay 2500 doesn't make it better."

no, its not. i spent a fortune for her to play. we practice year round, play year round,  the club IS the focus of her soccer. Plus she has a good coach. ODP is a sideshow and has 10 practices a year. Her club is her priority and odp is for fun and touches. not sure how 10 practices a year is more beneficial than year round. at odp, they barely know your daughters name and you think the coaching is better like that? lol

I cannot disagree with you! Each DD in the program has a different experience. Although, one DD 's experience does not reflect the worth of another DD's experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by outonthelimb 08/08/13, 10:05 pm

http://www.ntxsoccer.org/assets/pdfs/Staff_Bios_Web_and_Pitch_Final_2011.pdf

Last edited by outonthelimb on 08/08/13, 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
outonthelimb
outonthelimb
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Is ODP worth it? - Page 2 Empty 01 Coaches

Post by Tiki-taka 08/08/13, 10:14 pm

The Coaches that have been around the 01's the most (I believe) are:

Gary Williamson
Andre Lo
Blas Guerrera
Jimmy Garcia
Coach Corona (from Austin)
Coach Pane

Not sure if I have them all or have the correct ones. My DD definitely enjoys the Coaches. She had a very positive experience with Coach Corona in OK.

Tiki-taka
Tiki-taka
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed 08/08/13, 10:29 pm

silentparent wrote:"Follow the money? That really is illogical. More money doesn't equal better. The decision should be follow the better coaching. If you have good ODP coaches and so-so club coaches ODP should be your priority. If it is the other way around, club get priority. Just because you pay 2500 doesn't make it better."

You spent a fortune for her to play, great I have this bridge in Brooklyn I am looking to sell too.
Maybe your DD didn't make much of an impression of the ODP coach, because mine DD's ODP coach knows her by name and spoken to her by name when we ran into him outside of ODP.

Ed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 08/08/13, 11:33 pm

Tiki-taka wrote:The Coaches that have been around the 01's the most (I believe) are:

Gary Williamson
Andre Lo
Blas Guerrera
Jimmy Garcia
Coach Corona (from Austin)
Coach Pane

Not sure if I have them all or have the correct ones.  My DD definitely enjoys the Coaches.  She had a very positive experience with Coach Corona in OK.

Amen... great experience. Clubs and coaches in NTX should be more encouraging, but it seems "MOST" are actually wanting the girls full attention and do not want them to ever miss any of their "additional" randomly scheduled events.

-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 08/08/13, 11:41 pm

Ed wrote:

You spent a fortune for her to play, great I have this bridge in Brooklyn I am looking to sell too.
Maybe your DD didn't make much of an impression of the ODP coach, because mine DD's ODP coach knows her by name and spoken to her by name when we ran into him outside of ODP.
Well, D1 teams on average pay more than the others(clubs only)... simple fact. Better results can and do demand more $$. The highest paid usually are the best performing....

It is not easy to discern what is always better coaching.
Agree the club team is the priority....just not entirely on the same page about the experience/value of ODP.

My DD love interacting with the various coaches and it keeps her learning and pushing herself...multiple sports, coaches, etc... its all good!

Let get this season started!!!

-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/08/13, 08:50 am

Ed wrote:

simmer down. odp is a sideshow. which is why they even tell you club takes precedence. your club is your soccer life. not sure where you think odp is going to lead you but if you are that gung ho, more power to you. so to be tedious, yes the coach knows her name blah blah. why you think 10 practices a year, which you only have to attend i think 4 or 5 to stay in the mix,  is more worthwhile than your year round club practice is odd. but hey your time your kid.....

Back to top Go down

Post by SteamingBean 09/08/13, 02:46 pm

We only did ODP for two years starting in 2010 so I don't know if the overall quality has declined over the years or not as the OP asked. From others' accounts perhaps it has. But for us the ODP sideshow was a worthwhile experience. In our case it wasn't that costly, the Sunday schedule worked well with our club (club = priority, but rarely conflicted), and they had a lot of gun getting the extra touches. It was a productive change-of-pace as they were exposed to some varied coaching styles, techniques and levels of competition. One of their club coaches was even supportive. At least he would ask, "So DD, did you learn anything funky or cool last weekend that you can show me ?" Okay, that's the extent of his support so only mildly supportive, lol. Whether it is a big deal or not, in our girls' minds they were part of a "big deal" and that gave them a tiny bit more pride and a little additional spring in their step. Anyway, that's our experience with it and give it four bananas out of five.

I guess it's true about the east coast. A good friend plays U16 out in Holyoke MA, and ODP is practically worshiped out there where it's placed very high on the pedestal compared to club.
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SteamingBean 09/08/13, 02:46 pm

In sentence three meant "fun" not "gun". I don't think guns are part of the ODP kit yet
SteamingBean
SteamingBean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 09/08/13, 02:50 pm

SteamingBean wrote:We only did ODP for two years starting in 2010 so I don't know if the overall quality has declined over the years or not as the OP asked.  From others' accounts perhaps it has.  But for us the ODP sideshow was a worthwhile experience.  In our case it wasn't that costly, the Sunday schedule worked well with our club (club = priority, but rarely conflicted), and they had a lot of gun getting the extra touches.  It was a productive change-of-pace as they were exposed to some varied coaching styles, techniques and levels of competition.  One of their club coaches was even supportive.  At least he would ask, "So DD, did you learn anything funky or cool last weekend that you can show me ?"  Okay, that's the extent of his support so only mildly supportive, lol.  Whether it is a big deal or not, in our girls' minds they were part of a "big deal" and that gave them a tiny bit more pride and a little additional spring in their step.  Anyway, that's our experience with it and give it four bananas out of five.

I guess it's true about the east coast.  A good friend plays U16 out in Holyoke MA, and ODP is practically worshiped out there where it's placed very high on the pedestal compared to club.
i agree, i like odp and think it is worth it too....

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hook It 09/08/13, 03:07 pm

silentparent wrote:
SteamingBean wrote:We only did ODP for two years starting in 2010 so I don't know if the overall quality has declined over the years or not as the OP asked.  From others' accounts perhaps it has.  But for us the ODP sideshow was a worthwhile experience.  In our case it wasn't that costly, the Sunday schedule worked well with our club (club = priority, but rarely conflicted), and they had a lot of gun getting the extra touches.  It was a productive change-of-pace as they were exposed to some varied coaching styles, techniques and levels of competition.  One of their club coaches was even supportive.  At least he would ask, "So DD, did you learn anything funky or cool last weekend that you can show me ?"  Okay, that's the extent of his support so only mildly supportive, lol.  Whether it is a big deal or not, in our girls' minds they were part of a "big deal" and that gave them a tiny bit more pride and a little additional spring in their step.  Anyway, that's our experience with it and give it four bananas out of five.

I guess it's true about the east coast.  A good friend plays U16 out in Holyoke MA, and ODP is practically worshiped out there where it's placed very high on the pedestal compared to club.
i agree, i like odp and think it is worth it too....

cheers cheers
bounce bounce cheers cheers bounce bounce  We love it too!

-IWD4U
[/b][/i].
Hook It
Hook It
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by santos.l.halper 13/08/13, 11:00 am

It was quite enjoyable watching DD play soccer with near zero yelling from parents. To hear the thud of a well struck ball, the girls talking to each other, and not to hear questionable "helping" from the stands was a nearly otherworldly experience. If a DD plays soccer and nobody is yelling, is it still soccer?

This is all hypothetical as nobody on this forum yells at their DD, someone else's DD, or the refs. I know that.
santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWolf 13/08/13, 11:30 am

I appreciate all the insight here...can I ask for a little clarity?

In theory...ODP should funnel players up to national program, right? So how does that work - or what does that process look like? 100 girls in program, X # invited to Regional Camp...then what?

Make no mistake - my DD will play for WNT 2022. lol! 

TheWolf
TheWolf
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 13/08/13, 12:40 pm

ODP has no connection to the national team. It is a totally different governing body. When you move to the regional pool it it the "odp" regional pool and then on to the national "odp" team pool but not the actual national team pool itself. You can however been seen and scouted by national team scouts and brought in from there Just like ECNL, national championships, or any other big event. US Soccer runs the national teams and the only youth thing they seem to have is the Academy League for boys and oddly nothing at all for girls Crying or Very sad 
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWolf 13/08/13, 02:57 pm

So ODP is what it is....not a path for glory and high recognition as much as its just a part of the journey, experience, new coach's voices, new friends, etc...
TheWolf
TheWolf
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by santos.l.halper 13/08/13, 03:19 pm

TheWolf wrote:So ODP is what it is....not a path for glory and high recognition as much as its just a part of the journey, experience, new coach's voices, new friends, etc...
FWIW, if your DD MIGHT be interested in a college career, then it MIGHT be viewed by SOME coaches as a distinctive in her resume/cv/college application/soccer career. There is a selection process into ODP, as well as the experience of being coached by different (some college) coaches, as well as playing with and against other awesome DDs, so that it MIGHT be viewed by some as prestigious to be part of it. And as you already read here, in SOME states it MIGHT be viewed as more important than in others.

So it's not "just another experience", as much as MAYBE an added oomph to a DD's stellar youth soccer career. I think it's $150/year right? So that's $15/practice. We've all paid more than that for private training.

If you're having to drive to Carrollton from Amarillo for ODP, then I vote for you to stay home.
santos.l.halper
santos.l.halper
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 13/08/13, 03:23 pm

It's extra touches and a chance to play with people you don't normally get to play with and it's relatively cheap. If you are looking for anything other than that you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Spammer
TxSoccer Spammer

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWolf 13/08/13, 04:15 pm

Makes sense...we'll probably give it a spin - can't hurt. Thanks go99 and santos
TheWolf
TheWolf
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shooter 13/11/13, 06:40 pm

My DD participated in ODP for her NTX career.  It is a good chance to get touches and is very cost effective.  Coaching was hit and miss, but a great chance to play with girls from other clubs.  In my opinion, the quality of the NTX team dropped each year as better players stopped participating.  In my opinion, college coaches do pay attention to ODP players from NTX that are selected for regional teams.  They certainly pay a LOT of attention to those selected for interregional ODP teams.  However, ODP is only one way to get noticed and participation is not essential by any means.  Being selected for the national pool is not strictly dependent upon particiaption in ODP.

Shooter
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 13/11/13, 10:24 pm

DD, who is still in academy as a U10, just completed her 2nd practice on Sunday. Can't speak for the parents of U11 and U12 parents, but her practicing with and against quality girls one and two years older than her is helping. Even the other '04s that she knows about are very good, she had a RASE girl in her group last week. So for her age, the competition alone makes it worth it.

Also, The coach to player ratio is high and the environment is very professional. It has exposed her to different coaching techniques as there have been about 8 different coaches coaching her and they spend time with each one.

Been very happy with the experience for my DD so far.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next