North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it?

Go down

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it? Empty School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it?

Post by Guest 24/02/11, 10:06 am

From Yahoo's home page. Glad to see that girls are getting some national press.

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it?By Cameron Smith
You'll have to forgive the Ursuline (Texas) Academy girls soccer program if it feels a little aggrieved, despite winning what should be a national-record 21st straight state title on Saturday. The Bears have good reason to be upset: Despite the fact that their 21 consecutive titles is a national record, it's not being credited as a nationwide mark because of the association in which Ursuline competes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/School-wins-21st-straight-state-title-setting-U?urn=highschool-325001

As pointed out by the Dallas Morning News' Corbett Smith, Ursuline competes in the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools -- TAPPS -- just as all other private schools across the state do. That stands in sharp contrast to most states across the country, which integrate public schools and private schools in the same athletic governing body.

As it turns out, in states that have separate public and private athletic organizations, only the public leagues are considered when determining historic records. Therefore, the 21 trophies currently ensconced in the Ursuline athletic facilities are worth little more than two decades of bragging rights over other all-girls schools, according to the folks at the National Sports Record Book.

According to Smith, Portland (Ore.) Catlin Gable High holds the record for most consecutive girls soccer titles with 11. That's right, the current record-holders have been outdone by the Bears by a whopping decade worth of state titles, yet are still recognized as the most successful streak-owning girls soccer program in the nation.

If there was any question that Ursuline was deserving of recognition, the Bears likely answered those questions in their title-game victory. After falling behind by a goal in the early moments, Ursuline responded with four consecutive goals to run roughshod over runner-up Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic School, 4-1.

"At this point in the season it's more about emotion then about technical or tactical play," Ursuline coach Jamie Cantrell told the Morning News. "We knew if we got down one, we trained for it."

At that point in the season, Cantrell's team has known exactly what to do time and again. It's just time that the rest of the country acknowledged its greatness.

Want more on the best stories in high school sports? Visit RivalsHigh or connect with Prep Rally on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Back to top Go down

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it? Empty Re: School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it?

Post by JeffM 24/02/11, 11:58 am

"...just as all other private schools across the state do." Someone needs to tell the schools in the SPC.

Congrats to the Bears though! cheers

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it? Empty Re: School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it?

Post by Guest 24/02/11, 02:22 pm

Ursuline needs to do like Jesuit did and come play with the big kids in 5A. Winning state championships in the private school division is a completely different animal. Sure, Ursuline should be proud of their accomplishments. But 21 straight wins suggests that either the competition is less than stellar or Ursuline is too good to be playing in their current league.

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbdad9596 24/02/11, 03:32 pm

Jesuit and Strake Jesuit (Houston) had to sue the UIL to get in.

Ursuline can be proud of their accomplishment, but it is not 21 years of winning the State Championship, but a small subset of the Texas and not even champion of all the private schools.

Ursuline did not play the other private school soccer power, #5 DMN Hockaday, as Hockaday plays in a different private school association, the SPC, than TAPPS. It did play FW Country Day-2nd place SPC team and lost.!!
dumbdad9596
dumbdad9596
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchnovice 24/02/11, 03:44 pm

dumbdad9596 wrote:Jesuit and Strake Jesuit (Houston) had to sue the UIL to get in.

Ursuline can be proud of their accomplishment, but it is not 21 years of winning the State Championship, but a small subset of the Texas and not even champion of all the private schools.

Ursuline did not play the other private school soccer power, #5 DMN Hockaday, as Hockaday plays in a different private school association, the SPC, than TAPPS. It did play FW Country Day-2nd place SPC team and lost.!!

So one loss to Country Day should erase 21 years of success?! What is your point? Also, have you looked at the trophy? I have, it does not state "State Champion of a small subset of the Texas" Nor does it state "Not Even Cahmpion of all the Private Schools". It says: State Champion. DumbDadDude, 21 years of winning the final game of the season! Why try to take them down? Just another small example of our society not lifting up success but trying to tear down those who have been successful, and for 21 years! The odds of that are freaking amazing and impressive, especially with the schools/teams in TAPPS: Nolan, Bishop Lynch, TCA, etc. I hope my DD will be on the team that brings them down, go Nolan Class of '19.
pitchnovice
pitchnovice
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/02/11, 04:34 pm

These private school titles are starting to sound a lot like the BCS to me. I guess FW Country Day is analogous to TCU.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 24/02/11, 04:39 pm

pitchnovice wrote:
dumbdad9596 wrote:Jesuit and Strake Jesuit (Houston) had to sue the UIL to get in.

So one loss to Country Day should erase 21 years of success?! What is your point? Also, have you looked at the trophy? I have, it does not state "State Champion of a small subset of the Texas" Nor does it state "Not Even Cahmpion of all the Private Schools". It says: State Champion. DumbDadDude, 21 years of winning the final game of the season! Why try to take them down? Just another small example of our society not lifting up success but trying to tear down those who have been successful, and for 21 years! The odds of that are freaking amazing and impressive, especially with the schools/teams in TAPPS: Nolan, Bishop Lynch, TCA, etc. I hope my DD will be on the team that brings them down, go Nolan Class of '19.

Chill out! No one is trying to bring the Ursuline ladies down... just stating the facts. 21 years in a row of winning their small conference is a great accomplishment. It's just not the same as winning in a bigger universe. Just because their trophy says State Champions doesn't make it so. It doesn't even sound like TAPPS is the highest-level P-school conference. With schools like Hockaday, Greenhill, St. John's, St. Marks, Kinkaid, Episcopal of Dallas, et al, it sounds like TAPPS is the poor step-child conference to SPC. What kind of balance sheet does a school need to get into SPC?

Regardless, neither conference can produce anything that can be legitimately called a State Champion -- just too small of a fish pond. I agree that they should be allowed to join UIL and play the big boys. But I doubt they really want to, because that would render this discussion moot.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by dumbdad9596 24/02/11, 05:48 pm

The referenced article is a discussion of whether or not the record of 21 straight TAPPS championships should count as a record for State Championships. My vote is no for the reasons cited..TAPPS is a subset of the state.
Reasons cited are:
1) TAPPS does not even include all private schools --schools which are very capable of beating Ursuline in a season ending tournament and ending the streak. The FWCD victory is proof of such. It was one of the last games of the season and senior night at Ursuline.
2) It does not include public schools which do beat Ursuline in places like the Nolan Tournament

I agree that 21 straight TAPPS is a huge accomplishment and the BEARS should be proud. Ursuline also has a history of producing great players.

I don't understand why Texas doesn't allow private schools to be UIL schools unless they sue. Would Ursuline by the 4A UIL (200 girls per class) champion? I don't know.
dumbdad9596
dumbdad9596
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by retals me 24/02/11, 06:46 pm

Thats NOTHING!!!! Anybody seen the UCONN womenz bawlaz? Save Stanford catching those girls after a hard night of No Cal throw down, that's the streak.

retals me
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/02/11, 07:16 pm

retals me wrote:Thats NOTHING!!!! Anybody seen the UCONN womenz bawlaz? Save Stanford catching those girls after a hard night of No Cal throw down, that's the streak.

Xara < consulting the Gibberish-to-English dictionary but struggling mightily >.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieMaggie 24/02/11, 10:09 pm

Ursuline has an established, well coached, soccer program. They play with skilled determination and are in top condition. The girls I know on their varsity and jv teams also play D1 club. I think there are some schools in the TAPPS league that have improving programs that should give them (and Nolan) increasing competition.
MaggieMaggie
MaggieMaggie
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Tap 25/02/11, 09:35 pm

Lawnboy wrote:
pitchnovice wrote:

Chill out! No one is trying to bring the Ursuline ladies down... just stating the facts. 21 years in a row of winning their small conference is a great accomplishment. It's just not the same as winning in a bigger universe. Just because their trophy says State Champions doesn't make it so. It doesn't even sound like TAPPS is the highest-level P-school conference. With schools like Hockaday, Greenhill, St. John's, St. Marks, Kinkaid, Episcopal of Dallas, et al, it sounds like TAPPS is the poor step-child conference to SPC. What kind of balance sheet does a school need to get into SPC?

Regardless, neither conference can produce anything that can be legitimately called a State Champion -- just too small of a fish pond. I agree that they should be allowed to join UIL and play the big boys. But I doubt they really want to, because that would render this discussion moot.

Funny -- that's what they said about Jesuit and Strake Jesuit for years. Wink

Spinal Tap
Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ponystop 26/02/11, 09:54 pm

game, set, match...Spinal Tap!

Go Bears!
ponystop
ponystop
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 27/02/11, 10:16 am

ponystop wrote:game, set, match...Spinal Tap!

Go Bears!
Seriously?

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Tap 27/02/11, 12:15 pm

Certainly not saying they would win the state championship every year, but they could compete with the "big girls" -- much like the Jesuits with the "big boys". I'm too lazy to do the research, but I think you would find that UA has a pretty good record against the top North Texas public schools over the course of the past 21 years (although it sounds like this year wasn't so great)...
Spinal Tap
Spinal Tap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ponystop 27/02/11, 08:08 pm

Lawnboy,
First, why are you even involved in this discussion--your kid is still in middle school. You obviously don't know the history involved. Schools compete in specific leagues for different reasons. In Ursuline's case, it's not all about sports, TAPPS also governs performing & fine arts. So your "checkbook comment" really isn't called for.

Ursuilne just won its 21st TAPPS State Championship. That's all they're claiming. No more. No less. You have to admit, winning 21 of anything straight should be commended. And yes, the trophy does say "TAPPS"

Like EVERY team, both public and private, there are up and down years. Why pick on one team? I was simply, mainly out of fun, pointing out Spinal Tap's logic...at the beginning, lots of people said the Jesuit teams wouldn't succeed in the UIL. Last year, the soccer teams met in the finals with Jesuit Dallas coming out on top.

Lighten up, or at least speak of which you have a clue.

ponystop
ponystop
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 27/02/11, 08:49 pm

ponystop wrote:Lawnboy,
First, why are you even involved in this discussion--your kid is still in middle school. You obviously don't know the history involved. Schools compete in specific leagues for different reasons. In Ursuline's case, it's not all about sports, TAPPS also governs performing & fine arts. So your "checkbook comment" really isn't called for.

Ursuilne just won its 21st TAPPS State Championship. That's all they're claiming. No more. No less. You have to admit, winning 21 of anything straight should be commended. And yes, the trophy does say "TAPPS"

Like EVERY team, both public and private, there are up and down years. Why pick on one team? I was simply, mainly out of fun, pointing out Spinal Tap's logic...at the beginning, lots of people said the Jesuit teams wouldn't succeed in the UIL. Last year, the soccer teams met in the finals with Jesuit Dallas coming out on top.

PonyStop,
See post No. 7. In it, I acknowledge UA's great acomplishment. My comment about what is on the trophy was in direct response to pitchnovice's post.
On the contrary, I wish UA would join UIL... clearly TAPPS is not providing the level of competition these ladies deserve.

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnaEstVeritas 27/02/11, 08:55 pm

If those who throw stones from the sidlines only spoke of that which they have a clue, they would often have nothing to say... silent

Ursuline is a very impressive team who plays head to head with 4A and 5A teams year in and year out at the top levels of soccer in the metroplex...

Over the last three seasons they have beaten the following 4A/5A schools:Coppell, Plano, Mansfield, Rockwall, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Marcus (source DMN: HS GameTime)

This year they lost to McKinney Boyd 2-1... Last time I checked McKinney was ranked #1 in the state for 5A teams.

MagnaEstVeritas
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 27/02/11, 09:26 pm

MagnaEstVeritas wrote:

If those who throw stones from the sidlines only spoke of that which they have a clue, they would often have nothing to say... silent

Ursuline is a very impressive team who plays head to head with 4A and 5A teams year in and year out at the top levels of soccer in the metroplex...

Over the last three seasons they have beaten the following 4A/5A schools:Coppell, Plano, Mansfield, Rockwall, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Marcus (source DMN: HS GameTime)

This year they lost to McKinney Boyd 2-1... Last time I checked McKinney was ranked #1 in the state for 5A teams.

Actually, Marcus is on top right now. Boyd is ranked #8 nationally. See... I do know some things. Smile
http://rise.espn.go.com/girls-soccer/team-rankings/Winter-2010-2011-Rankings/Winter-2010-2011.aspx?pursuit=GirlsSoccer

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by bexster 07/03/11, 03:30 pm

If you want to see the program to measure against... Tapps, Public , private.. anything,, check these gals out.....

http://www.ultimateteam.net/team.asp?t=40

btw Ursuline's 21 in a row is ridiculous..... How about one off year... or an off final game? They dont choke...EVER!!!! and the pressure is more intense every year.

They play all the powers from year to year.. They win some and Lose some... Bottom line is their whole roster plays against all of the girls whose parents are on here......they all play top level club....

I hope my 99 can get there and carry on the tradition.... I know she wants to join her big sis as a Bear..

But check out SC... wow..and not a bad place to have to practice and live...
bexster
bexster
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer mania 08/03/11, 10:44 am

#2420 wrote:From Yahoo's home page. Glad to see that girls are getting some national press.

School wins 21st straight state title, setting U.S. record ... or does it?By Cameron Smith
You'll have to forgive the Ursuline (Texas) Academy girls soccer program if it feels a little aggrieved, despite winning what should be a national-record 21st straight state title on Saturday. The Bears have good reason to be upset: Despite the fact that their 21 consecutive titles is a national record, it's not being credited as a nationwide mark because of the association in which Ursuline competes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/School-wins-21st-straight-state-title-setting-U?urn=highschool-325001

I agree that 21 straight TAPPS is a huge accomplishment and the BEARS should be proud. Ursuline also has a history of producing great players.

As pointed out by the Dallas Morning News' Corbett Smith, Ursuline competes in the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools -- TAPPS -- just as all other private schools across the state do. That stands in sharp contrast to most states across the country, which integrate public schools and private schools in the same athletic governing body.

As it turns out, in states that have separate public and private athletic organizations, only the public leagues are considered when determining historic records. Therefore, the 21 trophies currently ensconced in the Ursuline athletic facilities are worth little more than two decades of bragging rights over other all-girls schools, according to the folks at the National Sports Record Book.

According to Smith, Portland (Ore.) Catlin Gable High holds the record for most consecutive girls soccer titles with 11. That's right, the current record-holders have been outdone by the Bears by a whopping decade worth of state titles, yet are still recognized as the most successful streak-owning girls soccer program in the nation.

If there was any question that Ursuline was deserving of recognition, the Bears likely answered those questions in their title-game victory. After falling behind by a goal in the early moments, Ursuline responded with four consecutive goals to run roughshod over runner-up Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic School, 4-1.

"At this point in the season it's more about emotion then about technical or tactical play," Ursuline coach Jamie Cantrell told the Morning News. "We knew if we got down one, we trained for it."

At that point in the season, Cantrell's team has known exactly what to do time and again. It's just time that the rest of the country acknowledged its greatness.

Want more on the best stories in high school sports? Visit RivalsHigh or connect with Prep Rally on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

soccer mania
soccer mania
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down