North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

does it ever work??? Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

does it ever work???

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

does it ever work??? Empty does it ever work???

Post by soccermom01 22/04/13, 11:33 pm

my daughter is rec but very good. she's being recruited heavily by a ft worth rec team that is going select.

does this ever work? fyi, i'm a single mom and don't have big bucks to spend. the coach seems genuine and they seem to be stacked (overly so) for a rec team. does this transition from independent rec to select ever succeed????

soccermom01
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

does it ever work??? Empty Re: does it ever work???

Post by SD69 22/04/13, 11:34 pm

How old is she?
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 22/04/13, 11:39 pm

It depends. it can be difficult but I played my last 2 or 3 years of select soccer on an Independent team we had success and stayed together. Before I joined the team they played in rec together and played 3 years of select. My team did well. Back then there was no D3 lake higlands. Just d 1 , d2 and arlington. My team played in Arlington and we found success against the lower D 2 teams in LH and won most of our games in Arlington and against Plano teams. If the players can stay together and they stay committed it is possible. But not necessarily easy. Also coach being knoweldgeable can be helpful as well. If your daughter is younger especially the competition in select should be better then in rec. If she is having fun with her friends and developing then thats what you should want. I always played for smaller clubs or independent teams and I am glad that I did. This route is not for everyone but in the right circumstances it can be.

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 23/04/13, 07:26 am

If the team has good coaches, good athletes, adequate soccer players, and comittment, they can easily make the transfer from rec league to PPL and compete. May be tough at first as the game is a little different, but it happens all the time, independents and rec teams, jumping in to the lower select leagues and at least being competitive.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/04/13, 08:48 am

I think it can work out, but it takes a lot of time and energy. It would take a core group of parents/players that understand that instead of paying $3000 for a Texans/Solar/FC Dallas/etc you would have a discounted price, but a lot more effort if you are going to make it work.

A group might be better off finding a "small" or "independent" club/coach that is looking for another team to take on. This way you have a real soccer coach that has experience with NTX soccer and how it works, but at the same time the parents will have some say in what goes on. The fees from these teams should be more in the $1500 range.

Another aspect- do some of the parents have experience with select soccer so that they can help guide the other parents? Do some of the other parents have a few connections that can help recruit players, set up scrimmages, get access to fields? The core group of parents from my DD's team considered trying to take her rec team and enter academy leagues with the hope of going select together. However, it was the first DD for all of us. We didn't have the knowledge or connections to make it work 2-3 years ago. Now that we have been around a few years we look back and say, "If we knew then what we know now we could have made it work."

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 23/04/13, 08:54 am

It is a little different depending on age. Taking a rec team to academy is easier if you have a dynamic player or two that can keep you in it. I use to see this all the time when my DD was in academy. A ringer or two would jump in with an inexperienced, lower level group, and could easily compete or beat more solid club teams. With no contracts and free guesting, this used to happen all the time.

The older you get, the less important single players become and the more important tactical awareness, coaching, system, and soccer becomes over individual talent - although that too is required.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/04/13, 09:03 am

And at the academy level the "big" clubs will try to lure away your "dynamic player or two." Even parents that are happy at an independent or smaller club can be recruited away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 23/04/13, 09:24 am

Most of them were just playing with your small team for touches anyway. If we are talking about younger age groups, and it sounds like we are, just keep in mind that all those studs slumming will be playing for contenders come signing day. By u11, you will find very little top level talent outside the top level teams.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 23/04/13, 09:51 am

My DDs team is actually very close to that exact scenario. Coach got most of them at U-5, stressed ball skills, passing and game awareness early on. We destroyed rec, even though we had significantly smaller players (size, not age). PYSA forced us to play up, and won that division as well.

Along came a young club who had only a player or two wanting to play in our age group, so the club recruited our entire team as well as the coach. Then we picked up the core from another team we knew that disbanded and we have an instant roster. Picking up a player here and there to round things out, but we are on our way. Played D2 SDL and won all but one game. We are looking forward to continuously grow in skills and competition.

My DD is one of those "dynamic" players referenced above, but she and I know that she wouldn't be nearly as "dynamic" without her teammates. Having navigated the select soccer minefield with my 93BB, I saw first hand the struggles with burnout, politics, etc. and I was not about to subject my DD to that too early. I had plans of taking her to academy at U-10, in preparation for select...at the younger ages, I am a firm believer in cementing the love of the game into them. I wanted her to love the game herself, not do it to make mommy or daddy happy - so I committed to rec until she was ready..but with the coach and her whole team going to the same place, it worked out very well. She got the increase in competition, but with her friends and the coach she loves dearly.
She will stay where she is at for the next 2-3 years at least. Could she play D1 LHGCL? Could she try out for a top team and make it? Probably, but no guarantee. But we will be staying with her current team until such time as I see that she is either not progressing, or her skills have surpassed the team to such an extent that it is frustrating for HER.

Everybody remembers the rec days, and how fun it was, and how much families got along, and all that good stuff. The cut-throat political world of select soccer ruins that, and parents very rarely trust each other fully, because they could be your enemy next week...its just the way it is, and I prefer to hang on to that rec atmosphere as long as I can before it inevitibly goes away...it helps my enjoyment, but more importantly it is a good experience for my DD.
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 23/04/13, 10:15 am

10sDad wrote:My DDs team is actually very close to that exact scenario. Coach got most of them at U-5, stressed ball skills, passing and game awareness early on. We destroyed rec, even though we had significantly smaller players (size, not age). PYSA forced us to play up, and won that division as well.

Along came a young club who had only a player or two wanting to play in our age group, so the club recruited our entire team as well as the coach. Then we picked up the core from another team we knew that disbanded and we have an instant roster. Picking up a player here and there to round things out, but we are on our way. Played D2 SDL and won all but one game. We are looking forward to continuously grow in skills and competition.

My DD is one of those "dynamic" players referenced above, but she and I know that she wouldn't be nearly as "dynamic" without her teammates. Having navigated the select soccer minefield with my 93BB, I saw first hand the struggles with burnout, politics, etc. and I was not about to subject my DD to that too early. I had plans of taking her to academy at U-10, in preparation for select...at the younger ages, I am a firm believer in cementing the love of the game into them. I wanted her to love the game herself, not do it to make mommy or daddy happy - so I committed to rec until she was ready..but with the coach and her whole team going to the same place, it worked out very well. She got the increase in competition, but with her friends and the coach she loves dearly.
She will stay where she is at for the next 2-3 years at least. Could she play D1 LHGCL? Could she try out for a top team and make it? Probably, but no guarantee. But we will be staying with her current team until such time as I see that she is either not progressing, or her skills have surpassed the team to such an extent that it is frustrating for HER.

Everybody remembers the rec days, and how fun it was, and how much families got along, and all that good stuff. The cut-throat political world of select soccer ruins that, and parents very rarely trust each other fully, because they could be your enemy next week...its just the way it is, and I prefer to hang on to that rec atmosphere as long as I can before it inevitibly goes away...it helps my enjoyment, but more importantly it is a good experience for my DD.

I understand what you are saying, my DD had the opposite reaction. She was so bored with rec we had to move her up to academy before they were even playing in her age group. As for families getting along, the team she is on has an excellent parent group and the girls get along great.I can tell you going through this before that the longer you wait to move to the next level the futher behind your DD will be. Just depends is she doing this for the social part only or does she want to play against the best?
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by yea..yea..whatever 23/04/13, 10:28 am

10sDad wrote:

Yep. I know a number of parents whose many year friendships ended all because of fear, politics and misinformation. Friends and confidants one day, 3 days later, won't look at each other. And this was from a very good team.

I try to keep the dd as far away from that as possible, just explaining why a certain group left is always fun. Those same parents think its ok to argue in front of the girls. In the end, it's best the problems move on.

yea..yea..whatever
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/04/13, 10:31 am

I remember rec differently. No show kids, irresponsible parents, and flat balls, goofing off kids with little competitive spirit. Sorry don't miss that at all...

Back to top Go down

Post by JH01 23/04/13, 10:34 am

Blank77 wrote:Most of them were just playing with your small team for touches anyway. If we are talking about younger age groups, and it sounds like we are, just keep in mind that all those studs slumming will be playing for contenders come signing day. By u11, you will find very little top level talent outside the top level teams.

Okay this is an ignorant statement. There are good players on lower division teams and independent teams at all the age groups. There are some players on the top Divisional teams because of Politics and other reasons. There are some top players in the Plano division who stay because of friends, coaching, and financial reasons. There are players from those teams who have gone on to play college soccer with scholarships to some Division 1,2 and 3 schools. You are just wrong in your statement . Sorry.

JH01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 23/04/13, 10:36 am

silentparent wrote:I remember rec differently. No show kids, irresponsible parents, and flat balls, goofing off kids with little competitive spirit. Sorry don't miss that at all...

That's what I remember. No accountability. Frustrated DD. Funny how when you start paying club fees, everyone suddenly is interested in how their DD/team is progressing, start showing up to practice, doing soccer drills at home, etc..

Not saying this is how it is at all rec or clubs, just our experience.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by turftoe9 23/04/13, 10:46 am

JH01 wrote:
Blank77 wrote:Most of them were just playing with your small team for touches anyway. If we are talking about younger age groups, and it sounds like we are, just keep in mind that all those studs slumming will be playing for contenders come signing day. By u11, you will find very little top level talent outside the top level teams.

Okay this is an ignorant statement. There are good players on lower division teams and independent teams at all the age groups. There are some players on the top Divisional teams because of Politics and other reasons. There are some top players in the Plano division who stay because of friends, coaching, and financial reasons. There are players from those teams who have gone on to play college soccer with scholarships to some Division 1,2 and 3 schools. You are just wrong in your statement . Sorry.

Can you tell the name of 1 Plano div. player who got a scholarship to a D1 college team?
turftoe9
turftoe9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 23/04/13, 10:53 am

10sDad wrote:My DDs team is actually very close to that exact scenario. Coach got most of them at U-5, stressed ball skills, passing and game awareness early on. We destroyed rec, even though we had significantly smaller players (size, not age). PYSA forced us to play up, and won that division as well.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 23/04/13, 11:05 am

JH01 wrote:

The statement is not ignorant, your interpretation is. Sorry Smile. There are solid to very good players everywhere, PPL, rec, basketball, no argument there and that wasn't in my statement. The top level girls by u11, they are on the top level teams. Sure, there are players at other levels that could contribute in D1/D2 - but the girls that are true difference makers with speed, vision, ball control, power, and accuracy (top level) - how many are floating around the outskirts - very little. My statement is accurate.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 23/04/13, 11:07 am

turftoe9 wrote:
JH01 wrote:

Can you tell the name of 1 Plano div. player who got a scholarship to a D1 college team?

I'm sure there are plenty, basketball, volleyball, academic - I bet a few girls get scholarships to D1 schools from PPL, just not in soccer.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 23/04/13, 11:18 am

turftoe9 wrote:
JH01 wrote:

Rare, but there are examples - not much recruiting from PPL, but if they are a good player, they probably play HS ball, which can get them looked at.
What is more common, is the player with tons of natural talent that is incessantly pushed to be in D1 since age 6...only to burn out and hate soccer at age 14-16. They weren't having any fun due to the pressure, and the endless schedule cramps their social lives. Now....Along come the lower level studs, who have been having fun and love the game to take their place on the LHGCL roster, make an immediate impact partially due to their positive attitude, have less stress due to the fact that they were able to do homework without the grueling schedule and miraculously they are the ones that receive a scholarship. Is the scholarship going to a LHGCL player? yep. Was that player on a top academy team and in LHGCL at age 11? maybe, maybe not. Seen this many, many times on the Boy's side. I assume its similar for the girls.
#1 team at my BBs age at U-11 only had 3 players from that original team playing college soccer. Of those 3, only one of those is still playing sophmore year.
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/04/13, 12:02 pm

soccermom01 wrote:my daughter is rec but very good. she's being recruited heavily by a ft worth rec team that is going select.

does this ever work? fyi, i'm a single mom and don't have big bucks to spend. the coach seems genuine and they seem to be stacked (overly so) for a rec team. does this transition from independent rec to select ever succeed????

keep something in mind, most of academy and select teams are filled with the stars of rec. she certainly can make the transition but there is a learning curve when most players on the field are as good as her and better. its a shock for a kid who say scores five goals a game to all of a sudden have to struggle to even keep the ball. good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 23/04/13, 12:13 pm

10sDad wrote:
turftoe9 wrote:
JH01 wrote:

Rare, but there are examples - not much recruiting from PPL, but if they are a good player, they probably play HS ball, which can get them looked at.
What is more common, is the player with tons of natural talent that is incessantly pushed to be in D1 since age 6...only to burn out and hate soccer at age 14-16. They weren't having any fun due to the pressure, and the endless schedule cramps their social lives. Now....Along come the lower level studs, who have been having fun and love the game to take their place on the LHGCL roster, make an immediate impact partially due to their positive attitude, have less stress due to the fact that they were able to do homework without the grueling schedule and miraculously they are the ones that receive a scholarship. Is the scholarship going to a LHGCL player? yep. Was that player on a top academy team and in LHGCL at age 11? maybe, maybe not. Seen this many, many times on the Boy's side. I assume its similar for the girls.
#1 team at my BBs age at U-11 only had 3 players from that original team playing college soccer. Of those 3, only one of those is still playing sophmore year.

You are on a roll......I totally agree with this statement.

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/04/13, 01:28 pm

soccermom01 wrote:my daughter is rec but very good. she's being recruited heavily by a ft worth rec team that is going select.

Find the path that works best for you and your DD. If you are stressed over time commitments and/or finances with soccer, it will project down to your DD and she will feel your stress.

It's almost a dead certainty that your DD will not make a living as a professional Women's soccer player. It's only slightly less certain that your DD will not get a majority of her education paid for as a result of soccer.

So, most importantly, she needs to be having fun, and you want it to be an experience that she will look back upon with fondness when she is your age. Second most important, she should be in an environment that is giving her all of the positives that a competitive team sport can give a young woman (self-confidence, work ethic, leadership, teamwork, dealing with success and failure with grace and determination, physical fitness, etc.).

Plenty of rec teams go select as either independents or with smaller, less expensive clubs. A few will make it into Lake Highlands, but many will play in the Arlington or Plano select leagues, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If the choice "feels right" to you and your DD, then go with it. If not, then look for an alternative. Plenty of girls soccer in NTX to have something for everyone.

Best of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 23/04/13, 01:37 pm

Yep. Regarding getting education paid for, its probably safer bet to take money spent on select, travel, etc.. and invest it.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccersounder 23/04/13, 01:40 pm

I disagree. As a Ref, I see a player or two on most PPL Teams that could start for anyone. Every D3 team will have a few and even more on the D2 teams..

It is not like we are comparing the NBA to the YMCA.
soccersounder
soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by intrinsic 23/04/13, 01:45 pm

soccersounder wrote:

I disagree. As a Ref, I see a player or two on most PPL Teams that could start for anyone. Every D3 team will have a few and even more on the D2 teams..

It is not like we are comparing the NBA to the YMCA.

I agree. And to answer the original question, yes, it can work but it takes hundreds of practices (closer to a thousand!), patient parents, and a cohesive group of players who stay together for years.

intrinsic
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

http://www.BlazeSoccer.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next