North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

does it ever work??? - Page 3 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

does it ever work???

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

does it ever work??? - Page 3 Empty Re: does it ever work???

Post by soccersounder 24/04/13, 09:54 am

Xara wrote:Now there's a sound argument. Why don't I post personal information about a 19 year old young lady who has nothing more to do with this forum than being referred to in a story. What a sage suggestion.

Here's a better idea: Do your homework. If you'll correctly search the material, you'll likely be shocked at the fairy tale that is college scholarship money for most athletes. The information is readily available, and in most cases, makes the statements I relayed in my last post seem like "positive" endorsements of how it will all play out.

Look into the truth for the vast majority of young athletes entering college. That 529 option will seem like a no-brainer.

From time to time I frequent the SoCal webpage and that is a major difference with our site. We don't name names here in NTX, but they have no problem doing so on the SoCal page. In fact they name our dd's names from NTX there as well. At least the DDs of celebrities we have.

soccersounder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by planogirl 24/04/13, 10:49 am

SoccerSounder, could you post the SoCal link? I would like to browse there. Thanks.

soccersounder wrote:
From time to time I frequent the SoCal webpage and that is a major difference with our site. We don't name names here in NTX, but they have no problem doing so on the SoCal page. In fact they name our dd's names from NTX there as well. At least the DDs of celebrities we have.

planogirl
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24/04/13, 11:06 am

socalsoccer.com

Google- I got through "socal g" and it was the second suggestion.

I did have to click on FORUM once I got there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Numanga 24/04/13, 01:12 pm

10sDad wrote:
silentparent wrote:
soccersounder wrote:Yea, I'm sure my niece is the only story out there... Highly unlikely?? Then they should go ahead and shut down PPL and Arlington and just play REQ.. Plenty of ways to get it done. No automatic rides in D1 and no crushed dreams in D3...

not calling you a liar, its just that kind of story circulates every now and then. "she only played rec and then when she was in high school, she was discovered by a d1 team and got a full scholarship"....
Speaking from experience, most (probably 2/3) of my BB's national academy team at U16 and U18 were not D1 players at U-11. They were either true athletes that discovered the sport late (like football or basketball didn't work out for them), or they were tireless workers that loved the game and just worked their way up.
Yes, some of the stud players at U-11 were studs at U-18. But that was rare..they were still on the team, and still very good players, but were not as dominant as they were previously.
The assumption that greatness is identifiable at U-8 has been proven incorrectly time and time again.

Last word of advice on this topic: If you are pushing your DD in hopes of getting a scholarship (even if you don't verbalize it or deny it outright), your goal will never come to total fruition - mark my words (maybe a partial, but not a full). It isn't up to you, nor will it ever be. Be a Mom/Dad - not a sports agent. Be supportive, not overbearing. We all want our children to succeed, but when we replace their dreams with our own - or try to tell them what their dreams SHOULD BE, the kids dreams end up as a pile of mush on the floor, and they will not attain them.

I will speak from experience on the girls side.

My dd's team at U18 has 7 starters that were also starters at U8. Those 7 players were studs at U8. The others went to other teams or quit soccer. Every player on her U18 got money to play in college somewhere. We don't talk about how much each got but all except one has decided to continue playing. I have seen the same numbers from their biggest rival. Now the other teams that were at the top at U8 have had a myriad of different players. I think one of the teams only has 3-4 players from their original U8 team. Were we lucky? Maybe. But these girls have been my dd's best friends for 10 years now and she still loves playing with them. 3 of those original 16 are playing together next year in college.

I can also tell you that we only had one player join our team from D2. She was a decent player, not dynamic, and now plays in college locally. All of the other players that drifted through over time came from other D1 teams. I also don't remember any lower division girls ever having an impact for any of the teams we played. Maybe some other U18 parents can chime in.
Uncle Numanga
Uncle Numanga
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Anarchy 24/04/13, 01:39 pm

3 pages and all it would have taken was a simple "no" it will never work.

Anarchy
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 24/04/13, 02:11 pm

Anarchy wrote:3 pages and all it would have taken was a simple "no" it will never work.

Actually, the answer is yes, it does work. The original question was about taking a rec team to select. This can be done and happens all the time. Some make it, some don't, but it is possible to take a good group of rec girls and compete with lower tier select teams with some work and dedication.
Blank77
Blank77
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peak_Performance_Dad 25/04/13, 02:22 pm

My 2 cents. If your son or daughter has personal, intrinsic drive and motivation, plus if you gifted them with good athletic genes, there is a good chance they will succeed at Soccer. 10,000 hours to master something:

http://jameswharris.wordpress.com/2008/11/30/10000-hours-to-greatness/

Returning to the original question of this post, if your daughter loves soccer and is mature, ask her what she would like to do. I would be if you let her make the choice, coupled with what your commitment expectations are, everything will work out great.

In the end, I believe athletics are an important way for parents to teach kids goal setting, commitment, hard work, dedication, team work, leadership, and dealing with challenges and obstacles. These skills will help kids become impactful and productive adults, which is definitely becoming harder and harder to achieve in this country today.

Here is a good read for fathers and mothers of daughters:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2011/10/12/secret-power-woman-play-team-sports-sarah-palin-meg-whitman-indra-nooyi/
Peak_Performance_Dad
Peak_Performance_Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 25/04/13, 02:40 pm

What does succeed at soccer mean for a DD? The whole concept is awfully vague.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 25/04/13, 02:43 pm

To be able to move like your avatar would be one definition.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Blank77 25/04/13, 02:45 pm

Great, my daughter can cut and dribble like a beast - she has succeeded! I'll let her know, I can finally stop paying for all this soccer.
Blank77
Blank77

Back to top Go down

Post by JustaSport 25/04/13, 02:50 pm

Blank77 wrote:What does succeed at soccer mean for a DD? The whole concept is awfully vague.

Ha ha ha. This is true. What do parents want for their daughters? For them to one day become "professional soccer players"? Isn't succeeding at soccer - or any other sport - primarily about being your best, working hard, having fun, and all that other stuff you see in the movies? If soccer success is a college scholarship, there are going to be a lot of tears in the next decade for most. The problem is too many parents are out to define themselves by what their children do in a youth sport.
JustaSport
JustaSport
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 25/04/13, 02:56 pm

JustaSport wrote:
Blank77 wrote:What does succeed at soccer mean for a DD? The whole concept is awfully vague.

Ha ha ha. This is true. What do parents want for their daughters? For them to one day become "professional soccer players"? Isn't succeeding at soccer - or any other sport - primarily about being your best, working hard, having fun, and all that other stuff you see in the movies? If soccer success is a college scholarship, there are going to be a lot of tears in the next decade for most. The problem is too many parents are out to define themselves by what their children do in a youth sport.

I agree wholeheartedly!!! cheers cheers
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Peak_Performance_Dad 25/04/13, 03:18 pm

JustaSport wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Success has to be fluid and our kids have to be able to define it, with direction from parents. As kids get older, we need to give them more freedom around their futures. For me, success at soccer means being the best player you can, and want, to be - nothing more, nothing less (notice how I say 'you - as in kid - want to be and not what your parent wants you to be').

At the end of the day, I would guess that some parents see soccer, and other extracurriculars, as means to an end while other parents see soccer as an end. The most important thing is not what the parents sees - but what the kids does.
Peak_Performance_Dad
Peak_Performance_Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 25/04/13, 04:05 pm

JustaSport wrote:

AMEN!!! cheers
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 15/05/13, 05:57 am

Some kids may start in ppl at u11 but if they are going to play d1 college they will need to be in the top league by u15/u16. dallas kicks man has it figured out, the best scenario would be to play somewhere that allows development of personal skills over team development till u14. the way it is now the player skill development is secondary to the team 'winning' even at u8 which is tragic for a player
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSoccer 15/05/13, 06:11 am

btw if your dd spends her career playing in lh the list below are the colleges that will be recruiting her, in fact the money we spend on select soccer for 10yrs would probs pay for 4 yrs at many of them... so in effect most girls are playing for ... fun...

http://girlsclassicleague.com/documents/2012CollegeCommitments.pdf
DrSoccer
DrSoccer
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunners 15/05/13, 08:12 am

DrSoccer wrote:btw if your dd spends her career playing in lh the list below are the colleges that will be recruiting her, in fact the money we spend on select soccer for 10yrs would probs pay for 4 yrs at many of them... so in effect most girls are playing for ... fun...

http://girlsclassicleague.com/documents/2012CollegeCommitments.pdf

While certainly fun, I think that comment sells short the benefits of playing soccer through high school. IMO, there is so much more the game offers throughout a child's formative years, that even if they never get a dime of scholarship money it's well worth the cost.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by textigerfan 15/05/13, 08:28 am

Agree...team sports teach some very good life lessons.
textigerfan
textigerfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3