North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

worried about the cost of going select Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

worried about the cost of going select

Go down

worried about the cost of going select Empty worried about the cost of going select

Post by Guest 05/04/11, 03:35 am

So my question is this, If your kid is a great soccer player(beastlike forward with pleanty of heart and talent) but the parents just cant afford the fees and all that go into going select , are there other options? Select is just around the corner(1 year)and after reading a post on here about the cost of select , it worries me even though my duaghter makes the cut to be on the team, i cant cut the check to a club for her to play on. I know i cant be the only family that worries about this. Any suggestions would be helpful.... scratch

Back to top Go down

worried about the cost of going select Empty Re: worried about the cost of going select

Post by aggiemt 05/04/11, 05:40 am

Depending on the club/team there will be likely be different options on when you make payments. For example, our team has 3 options: All at signing, half at signing and half before December, and 40% at signing and the remainder split monthly over the next 4 months. You may also be able to work out something with the team manager regarding spreading payments out though they are limited based on when team expenses are due.

Another option is working concessions at the various entertainment venues around town, i.e., AAC, Verizon Theater, The Ballpark, Pizza Hut Park, etc. All of these have groups who run a stand and the workers get a percentage of the profits to go towards all soccer-related expenses.

If your DD's coach has an older team you may want to talk to their team manager for info as well. Hope this helps!
aggiemt
aggiemt
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

worried about the cost of going select Empty Re: worried about the cost of going select

Post by clueless 05/04/11, 07:03 am

Also, if your child is the team's difference-maker, you can inquire to the coach about financial aide.
The 'rule' is that this is need based, but, we all know it's a combo of need and soccer prowess.
There are other options than select, despite what you are being fed, there is nothing wrong with rec soccer. How many adults leading successful lives played select soccer?

There will always be things you will feel you are missing, it's not a world-ender if you miss out on select soccer. I know of people who are tapping every single penny they have for soccer- do NOT do that - it's simply not worth it.

I love the friends and families I've met via the sport, but, if my kids weren't in it, they'd be in something else and it would be a different set of friends. Either way, my kids are going to college and not getting scholarships for playing soccer Wink

If you have a larger family, it's conceivable you can do enough voluntary fundraising to pay the bill. The biggest thing, be upfront with the coach. If you stay silent out of humility, you are only hurting yourself and potentially your child. It only gets more expensive if you get on a good team - travel can be equivalent or more than the club dues.

Last edited by clueless on 05/04/11, 08:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention financial aide is based upon need)
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by jm23jm 05/04/11, 07:36 am

Very well said clueless. cheers if you can't afford the bill don't sign a contract. There are plenty of independent teams and small clubs that are affordable. .

jm23jm
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Antipelagian 05/04/11, 08:53 am

You can make $100 bucks a month donating plasma

http://biomatusa.grifols.com/plasma_donation.html

You can also make some good scratch as an official, even down at the REC level for younger kids you can make $75 an afternoon....don't do a plasma donation the day before you officiate though....I blame that for all the offsides I missed Smile

Also, if you are a drinker you should donate blood before you imbibe as you will then experience a cost avoidance as you won't be able to drink as much but this could also negatively affect your ability to make money off of plasma.

Join your local freecycle.com group and pick up people's unwanted items and then turn around and sell them on craig's list!

ink cartridge recycling as well.

I am still waiting to hear back on my human testing for cosmetics application and I am very hopeful.

My youngest daughter loves the game and she loves the girls and parents she has played with since she was 5. That said, select soccer is not the key to her happiness or her college career (don't get me started). Money is always an issue and as I sit in my office partaking of Ramen Noodles I am only able to stomach them 5 days in a row because I know my kid loves the game and I do take comfort in knowing that no matter what, the game is played at a number of levels, both financially and monetarily. If I lost my job tomorrow she would tear the rec workd up. I loves officiating older rec teams...I could always tell the girls that playued select and came to REC and you can tell they love the game.
Antipelagian
Antipelagian
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Dante's 6th Concentric Circle of Hell drinking brown liquor from a dirty glass with a signifying monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 05/04/11, 09:11 am

Antipelagian wrote:You can make $100 bucks a month donating plasma

You can also make some good scratch as an official, even down at the REC level for younger kids you can make $75 an afternoon....don't do a plasma donation the day before you officiate though....I blame that for all the offsides I missed Smile

Also, if you are a drinker you should donate blood before you imbibe as you will then experience a cost avoidance as you won't be able to drink as much but this could also negatively affect your ability to make money off of plasma.

Join your local freecycle.com group and pick up people's unwanted items and then turn around and sell them on craig's list!

I am still waiting to hear back on my human testing for cosmetics application and I am very hopeful.

My youngest daughter loves the game and she loves the girls and parents she has played with since she was 5. That said, select soccer is not the key to her happiness or her college career (don't get me started). Money is always an issue and as I sit in my office partaking of Ramen Noodles I am only able to stomach them 5 days in a row because I know my kid loves the game and I do take comfort in knowing that no matter what, the game is played at a number of levels, both financially and monetarily. If I lost my job tomorrow she would tear the rec workd up. I loves officiating older rec teams...I could always tell the girls that playued select and came to REC and you can tell they love the game.

I've noticed you have been practicing on the cosmetics application - a few were questioning that, now we know why.

Also, if your kid is bigger than many of her wealthier classmates - that spells 'opportunity'.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ekkeeper1 05/04/11, 09:14 am

Look into an independent or smaller club that does not have higher fees. I played on smaller clubs the entire time i played club soccer in N. Texas. I did not have parents that would pay for me to go play on the Sting, Solar, and Texans of the world. I had great experiences playing with smaller clubs. I am sure there are some smaller independent teams or clubs out there that would be competitive

ekkeeper1
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Goalaso 05/04/11, 09:33 am

There are many options available and most costs are mentioned up front so you can budget for them.

There are also costs to consider later on like hotel and travel expenses when you travel away from home for a tournament.

There are also plenty of teams that would help financially to have a really strong player, the problem is that those teams may not be at the level that will help that strong player develop and get better.

Having said all that, this reminds me of something that happened recently. I stopped by the Porsche dealer the other day. I only have a learners permit right now, and my regular license is just around the corner. Even though I can definately handle driving that car, and it looks so awesome on me, I can't cut the check to the dealer to be able to drive it. This worries me and I'm not quite sure what to do.

On a serious note again, it is unfair that select is expensive. There is a saying that the best players in NTX are not playing select because the families cannot pay the fees. Instead, you find them playing pick up games at the local parks.
Goalaso
Goalaso
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotshagger 05/04/11, 10:29 am

Solid advice. Let me add...don't donate plasma, drink and then ref...I missed not only an offsides, but a couple of goals, and maybe even some entire matches that way...
Shotshagger
Shotshagger
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/04/11, 10:55 am

you could sell a kidney, you have two and it IS select soccer.......... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Antipelagian 05/04/11, 10:58 am

anselansel wrote:you could sell a kidney, you have two and it IS select soccer.......... Wink

See earlier post and you will see why they don't want my kidneys or liver
Antipelagian
Antipelagian
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Location : Dante's 6th Concentric Circle of Hell drinking brown liquor from a dirty glass with a signifying monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/04/11, 11:31 am

See earlier post and you will see why they don't want my kidneys or liver

lung? spleen? come on be creative!

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnJohn 05/04/11, 11:52 am

When I was a poor college kid we used to donate plasma to finance our drinking habit. Trust me, you donate the maximum amount then shotgun a six-pack and your good to go!
JohnJohn
JohnJohn
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/04/11, 01:28 pm

wow thank you for the great advice, In now way would we put our self in debt for select for one of our children being we have 3 more that play sports. Yea its a big family ..lol..She is already on a great smaller squad that she loves and i am gonna take your advice and take to the team manager. I wish i knew how to copy a post correctly because the donateing you blood was effn funny..hahaha priceless lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Antipelagian 05/04/11, 01:30 pm

coollikethatsoccermom wrote:wow thank you for the great advice, In now way would we put our self in debt for select for one of our children being we have 3 more that play sports. Yea its a big family ..lol..She is already on a great smaller squad that she loves and i am gonna take your advice and take to the team manager. I wish i knew how to copy a post correctly because the donateing you blood was effn funny..hahaha priceless lol!

funny?
Antipelagian
Antipelagian
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 05/04/11, 01:50 pm

Antipelagian wrote:
coollikethatsoccermom wrote:wow thank you for the great advice, In now way would we put our self in debt for select for one of our children being we have 3 more that play sports. Yea its a big family ..lol..She is already on a great smaller squad that she loves and i am gonna take your advice and take to the team manager. I wish i knew how to copy a post correctly because the donateing you blood was effn funny..hahaha priceless lol!

funny?

One man's financial plan is another man's shtick (no pun intended).
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Bionic Cat 05/04/11, 07:48 pm

Meow.

worried about the cost of going select Cat_ro10
Bionic Cat
Bionic Cat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05/04/11, 08:01 pm

Bionic Cat wrote:Meow.

Thats cute!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawnboy 07/04/11, 11:26 pm

totalsoccer wrote:
Bionic Cat wrote:Meow.

Thats cute!!!

Benjamins? I need to start shaking down some of the neighborhood pets. pirat

Lawnboy
Lawnboy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down