North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

The Quiet Encouragement of Violence - Page 6 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

The Quiet Encouragement of Violence

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Quiet Encouragement of Violence - Page 6 Empty Re: The Quiet Encouragement of Violence

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 01:22 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:
One of the things that the Dr. strongly recommends, for the girls, at least, to get into gymnastics at an early age to learn balance, flexibility, etc. These are areas, believe it or not, that the older players, including my daughter, lack.

I would like to add that gymnastics is badass for little boys too. Carry on..

Back to top Go down

The Quiet Encouragement of Violence - Page 6 Empty Re: The Quiet Encouragement of Violence

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 01:42 pm

futbollove wrote:I would like to see this futsal-only team compete against a top level ECNL team outdoors. Then maybe we could put to rest this futsal is "The greatest thing since sliced bread" theory that seems to be sweeping NTX.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two. City Futsal takes any paying customer, within reason I assume. ECNL has tryouts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 01:44 pm

Incorrect

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 17/10/14, 01:53 pm

Borussia wrote:Incorrect

Agreed

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by thebox 17/10/14, 02:00 pm

So Serena Williams became a great tennis star because of her ability to strongly play ping pong?   I'll give the reaction and reflex training,  but overall is this really a comparison?  Footsal is not soccer and it  assists with a few contributing metrics that a high level soccer player usually possess.  Video Games are good for reaction time training but no, comparing footsal to soccer is like ping pong to tennis.  Completely different sports with similar rules of play but football does not require the strength or endurance as a player on a full sized pitch, and all that entails.  If you have an 01 and you think footsall is going to get her a shot a college ball, as they will be selecting over the coming 2-3 years,  don't set yourself up for that disappointment.  You should have had them footsalling  4-5 years ago.  Footsal is fun but its not full pitch soccer that many of these girls have been training for most of their young lives.  A strong 01 player is not all physical, but she can be when she needs to be.

thebox
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 02:09 pm

Its a tool, like anything else a player can utilize to develop of they wish.

Mine is loving the experience. And a trip to Barcelona with her this year will be the cherry on top of a fun year.

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 17/10/14, 02:32 pm

haterinho wrote:
futbollove wrote:The "moves" statement was in to describe basketball players, not futbol. But the idea behind it is still the same. I am in no way knocking the futsal program. But in no way is futsal only, going to create a better soccer player. I have seen several of the house teams play, and yes they are very good at futsal. I have also seen those same players on a pitch, and some are like fish out of water. So if the goal of the parent is that their kid never experience any contact, then yes, futsal is the thing to do. But if you are trying to create a complete player, then that's not going to happen just living in the futsal "bubble".

I'll agree with most of this, but I've never seen a kid very good at futsal look like a fish out of water in outdoor. Seen the reverse...quite often, as physically dominate players lose a good deal of their advantage when the game speeds up, spaces get smaller and contact is discouraged.  Usually if a great futsal player is not as dominant outdoor it is because they lack dominant physical attributes. No matter how you slice it, a huge part of soccer is athleticism, and a highly skilled technical player without the speed, quickness, endurance or physicality to compete at the top level outdoor is not "lost"....just not athletic enough. It's a moot point since there are no futsal only (girls) players around here anyway, and a good # of these heavy futsal players we are talking about are key members on top teams...

Very good point. And very well could explain what I have seen.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 17/10/14, 02:35 pm

haterinho wrote:Thanks for the update C&R...I really only know about some of the 01s...had no idea there were girls players doing futsal only. I can definitely say if I had a pre select age player I would consider it too....still think at a certain age there is too much of a difference between the sports to only do one in preparation for the other. But that's just me...if others do and it works for their child to get where they're going without 5 concussions and shot knees...more power to them for finding a better way.
This has been my point. You can't just do the futsal training exclusively.
C&R, I am well aware of the City program and all that it entails. My point is simply what hater posted above.
But we have gotten way off topic. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by futbollove 17/10/14, 02:38 pm

Coach&Ref wrote:

Agreed
Have you ever known them to turn anyone away?
Sorry again, but this thread is officially hijacked.
futbollove
futbollove
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 02:38 pm

futbollove wrote:
haterinho wrote:
futbollove wrote:The "moves" statement was in to describe basketball players, not futbol. But the idea behind it is still the same. I am in no way knocking the futsal program. But in no way is futsal only, going to create a better soccer player. I have seen several of the house teams play, and yes they are very good at futsal. I have also seen those same players on a pitch, and some are like fish out of water. So if the goal of the parent is that their kid never experience any contact, then yes, futsal is the thing to do. But if you are trying to create a complete player, then that's not going to happen just living in the futsal "bubble".

I'll agree with most of this, but I've never seen a kid very good at futsal look like a fish out of water in outdoor. Seen the reverse...quite often, as physically dominate players lose a good deal of their advantage when the game speeds up, spaces get smaller and contact is discouraged.  Usually if a great futsal player is not as dominant outdoor it is because they lack dominant physical attributes. No matter how you slice it, a huge part of soccer is athleticism, and a highly skilled technical player without the speed, quickness, endurance or physicality to compete at the top level outdoor is not "lost"....just not athletic enough. It's a moot point since there are no futsal only (girls) players around here anyway, and a good # of these heavy futsal players we are talking about are key members on top teams...

+2 I like your style Haterinho!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 02:49 pm

futbollove wrote:
Coach&Ref wrote:

Agreed
Have you ever known them to turn anyone away?
Sorry again, but this thread is officially hijacked.

I am not given the keys to that lockbox. But I will say for any child they do not already train they have to go thru an evaluation process.

They could not simply drop any player into their FDSP program. That player would stand out like a sore thumb and would bring certain things to a screeching halt.

They have other programs that take all comers. You can tell easily when one of those is going on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach&Ref 17/10/14, 02:51 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:
futbollove wrote:
haterinho wrote:

+2  I like your style Haterinho!

Sorry, but I disagree with y'all completely, especially the bolded statement.

The reason a fantastic futsaller my look like a "fish out of water" is because the level of play he/she is used to just isn't there on a select team. There is such a disparity in skill levels on a select team that all it takes is ONE kid to have a poor touch, and all that "possession" style soccer is useless, The Futsaller is expecting teammates to be in the places that they should be when the ball is given. They expect the correct runs to be made. When they are not, they look pretty much mediocre. Quite a few times, coaches will also stifle creativity favoring instead a more "direct" style of play especially when the 4th or 5th pass though the midfield fails. This is where pure athletes come into play.

Like was mentioned before, a City Futsal team was thrown together at the last moment and placed highly without ever playing with each other and belonging to different groups.

Your team is only as strong as its weakest link.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by haterinho 17/10/14, 03:10 pm

@thebox...read this and then find me a tennis pro who said they honed their game playing ping pong

http://www.fifa.com/futsalworldcup/news/newsid=1798909/

@C&R...look I love what city does. They get my money too because I see the value. Among the best in the metro at what they do and our goal is to keep them playing futsal as long as we possibly can.  But i have to keep the objectivity...I've seen all this first hand. They truly are two different sports and the areas most dominant futsal players are not ALWAYS the most dominant outdoor players. Look at the pros...best futsal baller in the world was Falcao of Brazil...even as bad as brazil was last WC, he'd have had ZERO chance making selecao national team. Ronaldinho by all accounts was a phenom futsaller too...transitioned to phenom outdoor player...all time great. What's the difference? Ronaldinho was a world class athlete...Falcao is not.

Last edited by haterinho on 17/10/14, 03:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

haterinho
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 03:17 pm

It boils down to one simple thing. They have to choose.

Barcelona at U12 asks them to decide their path. Futsal or the outdoor pitch. Until that point they do both. They should be. Futsal is not soccer and we do not have collegiate Futsal teams, we do not have pro Futsal teams in this country.

Its a tool and a fun one at that for them. This is about to turn into those "ecnl" discussions... Haha

Peace out

Back to top Go down

Post by haterinho 17/10/14, 03:35 pm

Everyone good enough wants to be an outdoor star. Falcao chose futsal because he could be a world class futsal player. Outdoor he could only get a 6 month contract coming off the bench for santos.

When they start giving college scholarships for futsal, you'll see the big clubs trying to own the futsal space...until then they are content to let businesses like city peacefully coexist as long as they become no major threat to parent pocketbooks.

I personally would love to see city expand massively and become a legitimate alternative to doing Classic league at all until u14. I'd trust them to host a solid mix of indoor and outdoor content to prepare players better than what most McClub franchises are doing now. City is well aware futsal and outdoor have different requirements.

haterinho
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/10/14, 03:55 pm

"""The reason a fantastic futsaller my look like a "fish out of water" is because the level of play he/she is used to just isn't there on a select team.""""

this is LAUGHABLE!!! they look like a fish out of water because they can't run w the ball, are always stopping and or looking at their feet. too funny, futsal is a sideshow at best...

Back to top Go down

Post by allhatnocattle 17/10/14, 04:55 pm

As this thread's instigator, I never dreamed it would turn into an argument over the merits of futsal. And futsal has plenty of merits.
allhatnocattle
allhatnocattle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 17/10/14, 05:19 pm

Yep, debates about refs, some ECNL, now futsal. Now all we need is a debate about RASE v SRSA and then ODP and we should just about cover all the main talking points.
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by thebox 17/10/14, 11:40 pm

Alex Morgan's ankle turned further than Ive ever seen one that wasn't broken.  Wow that looked ugly.  Christin Press?  Beautiful woman with talent.  We will definitely will see more of her.  What made the difference between an underperforming 1st half vs a blow out second half?  Physical Play elevation.  Yes, all the tight, cute passing was not working when  Guatemala's loaded box runs in there slower, heavier and blowing things up. The ref was allowing most of it until.....  US turned on their physical play in the second half and overcame.  It looked like the US players have more fun in the 2nd too.   They should play more games in Dallas as those empty seats in Chicago should embarrass the cities support for that team.   Congrats USWNT on a 5-0 win tonight!

thebox
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 18/10/14, 04:51 pm

My 10 year old got punched on the pitch today.
She is a smaller, skilled player who was going up against a big, fast, aggressive. It was a mismatch, favoring my dd. After endless shouts by coach and parents to use her body more, be more aggressive, and "I don't care what it takes...get that ball away from her"...well...
My dd gained control, sent a pass out to the flank and we once again went on the attack. The refs all turned their attention to our attacking third, when this girl squares up, and throws a right hook and hightailed it out of there. I guess you could call it a hit and run. This resulted in a swelled cheek with a small split that was bleeding.
I am not blaming the ref as it was behind the play, and they can't see everything. However...this goes out to all you naysayers that say this "doesn't happen" in little girls soccer. Not only do they do it, they are learning to do it away from the play.
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 18/10/14, 05:21 pm

10sDad wrote:My 10 year old got punched on the pitch today.
She is a smaller, skilled player who was going up against a big, fast, aggressive.  It was a mismatch, favoring my dd.  After endless shouts by coach and parents to use her body more, be more aggressive, and "I don't care what it takes...get that ball away from her"...well...
My dd gained control, sent a pass out to the flank and we once again went on the attack.  The refs all turned their attention to our attacking third, when this girl squares up, and throws a right hook and hightailed it out of there.  I guess you could call it a hit and run.  This resulted in a swelled cheek with a small split that was bleeding.
I am not blaming the ref as it was behind the play, and they can't see everything.  However...this goes out to all you naysayers that say this "doesn't happen" in little girls soccer.  Not only do they do it, they are learning to do it away from the play.

And as you indicate, usually with the encouragement and backing of their parents.

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SD69 18/10/14, 05:22 pm

Nice to have you back 10s!
SD69
SD69
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by thebox 18/10/14, 08:23 pm

Why is a parent posting on the u14 01 page about their 10yr old taking an elbow or contact to the cheek/lip? Im sorry to hear it but that happens off the ball and if it was not seen as a fist punch by one of the 3 blind mice out there, the contact should be returned to teach that player that she is not as mean as she thinks she is. It should be a card if it was as blatant as you describe where an intentional fist to the face not being seen is kind of hard to believe. It can happen but still hard believe your daughter or teammate did not return the foul in some fashion. Its a contact sport, especially in Dallas, and as its 10 yr old soccer you still need to be ok with it or get your daughter off the field. Unless you have a video to send into the club to complain then you have nothing. Get over it and toughen up to play the game. Your daughter learned some soccer IQ from it I imagine and next time will handle it differently on the pitch.

thebox
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sDad 18/10/14, 10:28 pm

So in your expert opinion, my dd should have chased her down with teammates in tow and pummeled the girl?  'Cuz it's the North Texas way?  Got it...and you just proved my point.

I've been reading this thread and reading crap from posters saying the problem is that if you dd is not tough enough, too bad.  Kinda like blaming the victim.   It kinda brought me out of retirement for a second.  But my dd is plenty tough enough thank you, and this is not the first time she has been violently targeted with elbows, etc (just the first time with a right hook)...in fact in this particular situation, she got popped, and just kinda stood there in disbelief holding her cheek for a second, then went about the game at hand...but the topic of this whole thread has been that there is too much violent play that goes unpunished, thus causing a higher rate of violent play.  And it's absolutely true.

When my dd asks me after the game..."daddy, why did she punch me?  I hate it when I play good, because then the other girls play dirty".  It kills me.  The only response I tell her is to take it as a compliment...that she frustrated the player trying to defend her so much, that they lash out.  Hopefully, she remains tough and learns to see it coming instead of losing her love for the game due to instances like this.
10sDad
10sDad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by thebox 19/10/14, 10:55 am

[quote="10sDad"]So in your expert opinion, my dd should have chased her down with teammates in tow and pummeled the girl?  'Cuz it's the North Texas way?  Got it.

I really think you are missing the point because your talking about a 10 year old player who's coach should be the one she turns to on the field to handle it. Her coach should have exposed that situation to the refs and dealt with it if it happened as you stated. Parents are often bias and not as objective as they believe they are. Thats ok, its their daughter out there but As they get older, that coach should handle that situation completely if she "still loves the game." Dealing with issues like this is part of a player development believe it or not. Making that claim on a u14 board is 'wasting your breath" where you should be taking issue with her coach and asking why they did or what they are going to do. They can write a formal complaint to the league on lack of ref protection of the player on the field. As they get older, thats usually just handled on the field.

thebox
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty 19/10/14, 03:18 pm

thebox wrote:
10sDad wrote:So in your expert opinion, my dd should have chased her down with teammates in tow and pummeled the girl?  'Cuz it's the North Texas way?  Got it.  

I really think you are missing the point because your talking about a 10 year old player who's coach should be the one she turns to on the field to handle it.    Her coach should have exposed that situation to the refs and dealt with it if it happened as you stated.  Parents are often bias and not as objective as they believe they are.  Thats ok, its their daughter out there but As they get older, that  coach should handle that situation completely if she "still loves the game."  Dealing with issues like this is part of a player development believe it or not.  Making that claim on a u14 board is 'wasting your breath" where you should be taking issue with her coach and asking why they did or what they are going to do.  They can write a formal complaint to the league on lack of ref protection of the player on the field.  As they get older, thats usually just handled on the field.  

So in your opinion what would be the proper way at U14+ for the  DD and her teammates to handle it on the field? i.e. a clean punch to the face after the play happens.  What would you suggest they do to the player to handle it on the field?

Lefty
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next