North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Just a request - Page 2 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Just a request

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Just a request - Page 2 Empty Re: Just a request

Post by rzrFC 10/02/15, 09:09 pm

There's legal physical play...and there's illegal physical play.  The size of the girl, or how hard she falls, is not a factor.  A HARD shoulder charge playing the ball is perfectly legal.  A push in the back in retaliation is not legal.  BTW, to parents with non-athletic small DD's with lots of "skill" (sarcasm); tackling, slide-tackling and shoulder charging are skills. I'm tired of hearing, "If my ultra-skillful daughter would stop getting fouled (tackled/knocked off ball) she would be unstoppable".

rzrFC
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GO999 10/02/15, 09:54 pm

That's funny...So your kid is the big unskilled non athletic kid that can kick the ball long way, after she shoves that small kid out of the way.
GO999
GO999
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 11/02/15, 10:25 am

People see what they want to see, especially when it comes to their kid/team.

In our recent Classic league game, our player got the ball stolen from him, and in retaliation, grabbed the jersey of the other player from behind, with both hands, and pulled him down. Foul called, free kick awarded. Father was upset because he has a "right to try and win back the ball." Ridiculous. Should have been a yellow card.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by rzrFC 12/02/15, 06:10 pm

GO999 wrote:That's funny...So your kid is the big unskilled non athletic kid that can kick the ball long way, after she shoves that small kid out of the way.

GO999, I was a little worked up from a recent parent conversation. Sorry if my comment was offensive. My point is, physical play IS a skill. It seems parents, kids, referees and coaches have a difficult time understanding, teaching and implementing. FIFA LOTG clearly state the characteristics of a legal shoulder charge. Soccer is a contact sport. Smaller players are not entitled to additional protection. However, most injuries are not occurring due to legal contact. See previous poster on retaliation.

rzrFC
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianWilliams 12/02/15, 08:20 pm

Don't believe him.

She is a big, slow, pushing hoss.

Saw it with my own eyes.
BrianWilliams
BrianWilliams
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Looking04 12/02/15, 08:26 pm

Just because your daughter out-weighs everyone on the field by 20 pounds, doesn't give her a free pass to run (albeit slowly) hog wild around the field shoving people off the ball without a penalty - merely because she is "big" and "used her shoulder".  

It helps if she actually goes after the ball . . . and has a chance of getting it.

Looking04
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GO999 13/02/15, 09:42 am

DANG!!!!!
GO999
GO999
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjack 13/02/15, 09:44 am

BrianWilliams wrote:Don't believe him.

Saw it with my own eyes.

Good to see Brian landed somewhere.....covering NTX Soccer. lol!
soccerjack
soccerjack
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 13/02/15, 09:49 am

soccerjack wrote:
BrianWilliams wrote:Don't believe him.

Saw it with my own eyes.

Good to see Brian landed somewhere.....covering NTX Soccer.  lol!

Yep, and still telling the truth! Shocked
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13/02/15, 11:46 am

A defender's parent's perception of a legal shoulder charge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNxXL-soLIk

But seriously, I came across this a while back and it addresses some of the issues: http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/?p=2667

The key issue seems to be excessive force. A player can ride someone of the ball with a shoulder, but they can't line them up from ten yards away like a middle linebacker targeting a slot receiver on a crossing route. On the other hand, it's not a foul everytime a bigger kid bumps a smaller kid off the ball.

rzrFC wrote:
GO999 wrote:That's funny...So your kid is the big unskilled non athletic kid that can kick the ball long way, after she shoves that small kid out of the way.

GO999, I was a little worked up from a recent parent conversation.  Sorry if my comment was offensive.  My point is, physical play IS a skill.  It seems parents, kids, referees and coaches have a difficult time understanding, teaching and implementing.  FIFA LOTG clearly state the characteristics of a legal shoulder charge.  Soccer is a contact sport.  Smaller players are not entitled to additional protection.  However, most injuries are not occurring due to legal contact.  See previous poster on retaliation.

Back to top Go down

Post by nolanryan 16/02/15, 12:37 am

I could not agree more on this topic.  Boys that age, in general, probably won't be paying attention to the game as much as the players. Age isn't as much the issue as just suitability and common sense. 15 year old boys can ref boy games and 15 year old girls can ref girl games.

Marv has a great point. There are too many unnecessary injuries happening out there and I feel it is a result of poor refereeing in general. My 13 year old daughter is planning to get her referees license this year and she will be able to officiate up to U16 competitive games.  Her motivation is twofold.  She wants to clean up the game and she wants to work doing something she enjoys.  I'll support that over working in an ice cream parlor any day of the week and I realize I will need to show her how to lead respectfully and how to not get intimidated by some of the parents who go too far.  Last week she was in a tournament and the matches between the teams were such a mismatch that the superior teams figured out who they could double up and essentially give "the Malachi crunch" to.  In another game, a dirty player kicked her in the ankle well after she had passed the ball.  The moron ref, standing right there, invited the thug to "sub out".  Sub out?!?!  For real?  That ref was about 40 and it was probably the same ref that said "I don't give out cards in tournaments".  

The spring of last year, in a game at Carpenter Park where we were winning 1-0, the opposing player after getting outplayed by one of our players, took a throw-in, dropped the ball right at the feet of our player to get her attention in the meantime, the opposing player trucked our player, full speed, elbows up, neck level.  The imbecile ref, who was in his 30's, went over to our player, said "that's what you get for pushing" and called for the game to continue.  No card.  When the moron realized our player was knocked unconscious, he requested that[i] she be moved off the field like a sack of potatoes!  The girl was down for 15 minutes and sustained multiple injuries.  Parents from the other team applauded...savages!  Later in the game during a corner kick by the other team, the same thug from other team decked our goalie.  Again, no call.  On the player with multiple injuries letters were written to PPL and NTX by: Coach, assistant coach, manager, mother and independent concerned parent.  Video of the play was submitted.  NO ACTION TAKEN!!!  Nobody Cares to try to keep the game safe and fair!  It's that simple.

This game has gotten too popular and there is simply more demand for refs than supply.  Anyone who applies is apparently awarded a referee license with an application.  There is no quality assurance afterwards.  I fully support a young player officiating and would encourage NTX to recruit, train and schedule these young referees appropriately (to their own gender until they are 18) and take out the garbage with the refs who are just there to collect a check.
nolanryan
nolanryan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FierceLightning 17/02/15, 10:34 am

MoveYourFeet wrote:People see what they want to see, especially when it comes to their kid/team.

In our recent Classic league game, our player got the ball stolen from him, and in retaliation, grabbed the jersey of the other player from behind, with both hands, and pulled him down. Foul called, free kick awarded. Father was upset because he has a "right to try and win back the ball." Ridiculous. Should have been a yellow card.

I coach my players to immediately retaliate on the player who does this to them. It makes that cheating player think twice about grabbing my players jersey again. It also gives him/her the opportunity to tell the ref what happened, once a foul or card is presented to the player fouled. Since the refs are unlikely to card, then it is up to the player to make sure that cheat knows he/she can't get away with it on him/her again.

Last edited by FierceLightning on 17/02/15, 01:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical consistency)

FierceLightning
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 17/02/15, 12:27 pm

I agree with a lot of the thinking on the board. However, I have seen any number of big, non-athletic "skilled" girls get knocked off the ball and/or outrun by smaller players. Rzr, I have to assume by your "sarcasm" that you have a Big daughter. As I tell my DD, size isn't important unless you make it so. Of course tackling is part of the game, so is outthinking and outrunning an opponent. If the small player with lots of skill isn't scared, even being fouled won't stop her. I have seen just as many "Big" girls  scared of taking a foul and therefore is afraid to do anything to draw a foul as I have of smaller players who are afraid to get tackled. Tall and muscular girls sometimes have a hard time growing into their own bodies and can have awkward gaits and speed. A hard shoulder push that is part of an effort to gain control of the ball isn't illegal. However, an intentional slam against a player in an effort to knock her down becomes questionable.

The issue here is whether or not a coach, player, parent knows the difference between out besting a team and beating up a team. Mental toughness, agility, and game knowledge are much better talents than height and weight would be. Kind of reminds me of my cousin. She was very pretty and was able to get by in school because of it. Teachers were mesmerized by her face. Then when she was a sophomore in college she got chicken pox. She wound up with very bad scarring on her face, arms and neck. It changed things for her. Her grades started slipping and she finally had to start actually studying. Just like being dependent on good looks, if a player depends on their size to be a "good" player instead of developing skills and game knowledge, as time goes on, they will falter. Just as would a player who only leans on speed to carry them through or even trick throw ins, whatever.

Soccer is not a one-dimensional game, it requires a player to be multi-faceted. No one skill or ability makes a player good. (Stepping back from the soap box now.)  Smile
InaB
InaB
Original Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Just a request - Page 2 Empty Great Post

Post by Marvelousmar 17/02/15, 01:25 pm

InaB wrote:I agree with a lot of the thinking on the board. However, I have seen any number of big, non-athletic "skilled" girls get knocked off the ball and/or outrun by smaller players. Rzr, I have to assume by your "sarcasm" that you have a Big daughter. As I tell my DD, size isn't important unless you make it so. Of course tackling is part of the game, so is outthinking and outrunning an opponent. If the small player with lots of skill isn't scared, even being fouled won't stop her. I have seen just as many "Big" girls  scared of taking a foul and therefore is afraid to do anything to draw a foul as I have of smaller players who are afraid to get tackled. Tall and muscular girls sometimes have a hard time growing into their own bodies and can have awkward gaits and speed. A hard shoulder push that is part of an effort to gain control of the ball isn't illegal. However, an intentional slam against a player in an effort to knock her down becomes questionable.

The issue here is whether or not a coach, player, parent knows the difference between out besting a team and beating up a team. Mental toughness, agility, and game knowledge are much better talents than height and weight would be. Kind of reminds me of my cousin. She was very pretty and was able to get by in school because of it. Teachers were mesmerized by her face. Then when she was a sophomore in college she got chicken pox. She wound up with very bad scarring on her face, arms and neck. It changed things for her. Her grades started slipping and she finally had to start actually studying. Just like being dependent on good looks, if a player depends on their size to be a "good" player instead of developing skills and game knowledge, as time goes on, they will falter. Just as would a player who only leans on speed to carry them through or even trick throw ins, whatever.

Soccer is not a one-dimensional game, it requires a player to be multi-faceted. No one skill or ability makes a player good. (Stepping back from the soap box now.)  Smile

First class response InaB.

Most of the responses to date have been first class. It's been a good read. Where do the leagues go from here? Only time will tell. We need more refs as more folks continue to play the game. It's not easy being a ref, Parents, Kids, Coaches Players all looking for your every mistake to use you as a scapegoat. I guess the thing is this. Everyday should be about making improvements. That's what we look for in players, that's what we look for as human beings. I assume that's what we also look for in those that control the beautiful game. (Refs' Coaches, and Administrators) Refs hold your ground but be open for critiques and ways to be better. Nobody is perfect and soccer is not a perfect game.
Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 17/02/15, 01:43 pm

Now if we had instant replay, replay officials and goal line technology at all our league games, just think how we'd advance the game here in North Texas. And...think of all the jobs's we add to bolster the economy.

Wonder who could sponsor all that? Hello Toyota....
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/02/15, 01:46 pm

""That's funny...So your kid is the big unskilled non athletic kid that can kick the ball long way, after she shoves that small kid out of the way""

sadly this is true and her parents will say way to go suzy! good kick! as the ball is kicked mindlessly down the field. Watching girls soccer is a push fest of large girls hip checking and elbowing and blasting the ball. its ugly soccer and needs to change.

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 17/02/15, 01:48 pm

SP, when you find the Scott Sterling jersey's let me know. Who wouldn't want one of those?
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/02/15, 03:21 pm

can't wait to see him in the world cup..... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 17/02/15, 03:47 pm

Had no idea he was playing in the Women's World Cup...not that there is anything wrong with that...of course.
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 17/02/15, 03:54 pm

Scott's play in the Women's World Cup wouldn't be so noticeable but the blonde wig with the black stubble was a bit obvious. Most people thought (s)he was a 1970s Russian player brought out of retirement. Shocked
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 17/02/15, 03:57 pm

FYI Fierce, I have found that if the girl who has a jersey grab pulled on her, turns around really fast and screams at the top of her lungs "Let go of my jersey" and then immediately drops to the ground rolling and moaning and grabs her nose, can usually get a defender off of her. cheers

This appears to be a great training program!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ukFUEI5qz8

Last edited by InaB on 17/02/15, 04:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by RightWingDad 17/02/15, 03:57 pm

Or maybe (s)he was more like...

http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Miss-Trunchbull-Pam-Ferris-Matilda-Crunchem-Hall.jpg
RightWingDad
RightWingDad
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 17/02/15, 04:02 pm

You could be right, Right! Very Happy
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by FierceLightning 17/02/15, 08:28 pm

InaB wrote:FYI Fierce, I have found that if the girl who has a jersey grab pulled on her, turns around really fast and screams at the top of her lungs "Let go of my jersey" and then immediately drops to the ground rolling and moaning and grabs her nose, can usually get a defender off of her. cheers

This appears to be a great training program!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ukFUEI5qz8

Funny and pathetic at the same time..... Laughing

I actually have my players shove them and basically heavy verbally tell them to stop, no flopping. I don't care if they get a foul or carded, I back them 100%. I had one kid deck the player who wouldn't stop cheating.

FierceLightning
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by banana kick 17/02/15, 09:11 pm

It seems like we keep having the same conversations. A lot of really good points have been made here, a few more than once. If this is ever going to change, it's going to change because parents demand it changes. Coaches, parents, and league officials, all working together, can impact change.

Whether or not they really want change, at least enough to do the work necessary, is the question.
banana kick
banana kick
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by InaB 18/02/15, 07:57 am

Hi Banana, you are right that we all have to help the system change. It is good to be able to voice opinions, but we need to do more than that. Petitions would be a good place to start. Then someone has to take that forward and form a group of parents, coaches, league officials, and refs to look at the rules of play and determine better rules (that are explained in plain terms and are enforced). The difficulty is that bad play is talked about, but it still goes on. Apathy is the biggest issue of all here.

You can't be afraid to tackle it. You can't be afraid to rock a boat. However, you don't want to go in anger because emotions won't make positive change happen. You go in with logic and some proposed solutions. As a boss once wisely told me, if you bring me a problem, you had better bring me ways to solve it as well.
InaB
InaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next