North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

SIDELINE ETIQUETTE... Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

SIDELINE ETIQUETTE...

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SIDELINE ETIQUETTE... Empty SIDELINE ETIQUETTE...

Post by DEUCEE'Sdaddy 14/11/12, 11:32 am

*Disclaimer*

The Content of this Post is in NO Way Directed Towards Any Parent OR Team in Particular, Unless You're w/that One Team we Played That Day, w/that One Parent, in that Tournament...

Does Anyone Else Get PEEVED about Sideline Etiquette (or the LACK Thereof) During Soccer Games???...I Do...Here's a Few EASY Solutions to Keeping BOTH Groups of Parents in a Relatively HAPPY Place...

1. Sit w/YOUR TEAM'S Parents - Don't just Sit ANYWHERE...It's Usually Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, etc., who Violate this Code, but Every Now Then, Someone who Should KNOW BETTER Goes There Too...If You're Standing in a Sea of RED, KNOWING your Team's Colors are Other than Red, DON'T Set Up Chairs There, Please???...Simply Find YOUR DD's Team Parents & Sit w/Them...

2. Sit Across from YOUR TEAM'S Bench - Self Explanatory...

3. SHARE the Sideline EQUALLY - It Doesn't Get Much Worse than when a Group of Entitled Team Parents Sit on BOTH SIDES of the Mid-Line...STRADDLING the Mid-Line, in Other Words...no,No,NO!!! Evil or Very Mad ...PRETEND the Mid-Line Stretches Beyond the Sidelines...

It's EXTREMELY Inconsiderate for 1 Team to Take Up the MAJORITY of the Sideline...Not Soooo Loooong Ago, I Encountered Some Parents who Took Up 3/4ths of the Sidelines, as if NONE of my DD's Team Parents had Chairs OR Any Interest in Sitting Down...WHO Does that???...

Whether your Team is the Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread or the 110th Squad on BW's Rankings, the Sideline is there to Be SHARED EQUALLY...1st Come, 1st Served Applies to YOUR SIDE, Not Both Sides...Yes, 1 or 2 Parents on the Other Side of the Mid-Line is a VIOLATION...Yes, Other Parents WILL NOTICE those 1 or 2 Parents Sitting on the Other Side of the Mid-Line...

4. REMAIN on Your Side of the Sideline - Unless your DD is the Goalie is there REALLY Any Reason to Go to the Opposing Teams Side???...Your DD's Coach DOESN'T Want her Listening to You Anyways, So Why Bother???...

On this Note, Don't Be the Loud, Belligerent, STEROID Dad (You KNOW Who You Are) who Inevitably Finds Himself in a Mini-Altercation, Because he INSISTS on Cheerleading from the OTHER Teams Sideline, Even when his Team is UP by a Ton of Goals...

5. Be Aware of the BLEACHERS - It's Tyically No Problem to Plop Down your Chairs in Front of Bleachers, Since they're Elevated...But if You're Dirk Nowitzki's Height, or Anywhere Close, Can You MAYBE Consider Sitting to EITHER SIDE of the Bleacher???....Fuuuuuurthermore, Don't Sit Directly in Front of the Bleacher, Open Up a Friggin UMBRELLA, then Get UPSET when a Bleacher Parent Asks you to Move the Umbrella or Your Person...

For the Most Part, Soccer Parents have GOOD Sideline Etiquette...We're All There to Cheer & Cheer HARD...We All Ride the Refs about Calls (or NON-Calls) from Time to Time...But the 5 Things I've Noted Stand Out when they Occur...I'm Considering Carrying Around Yellow and Red Cards to Issue to Offenders...Call me the Sideline Police...

Perhaps it's just Me or Perhaps Some of You have Sideline Grievances of Your Own???...

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

SIDELINE ETIQUETTE... Empty Re: SIDELINE ETIQUETTE...

Post by topsecretsoccermomID 14/11/12, 11:48 am

*handclapping* I couldn't of wtote that better if I tried.The only thing I would add is if you know parents on the other team and want to say hello do that quickly and go back to your sideline. It's like entering hostile territory , enter at your own risk.
topsecretsoccermomID
topsecretsoccermomID
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by whattheheck 14/11/12, 12:50 pm

Glad you threw in #4 for this keeper parent, because you betcha I stand right with my DD - rain or shine. If she's in it, I'm in it with her! It gets a bit distracting and overbearing when you are on the opposing team's sideline - especially with said Steroid Dad lingering around!

All points - couldn't agree more!
whattheheck
whattheheck
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 12:58 pm

No offense meant at all and I see your side of things, but I disagree with just about everything you have listed.

What is wrong with parents intermingling and then acting like adults instead of kids on a playground? Parents should be able to watch the game from wherever they want, ( as long as it is not blocking someone else's view) and the parents should be adult enough not to get in a confrontation.

When my kid plays on the defensive side of the ball, I stand near the defense. When my kid plays on the offensive side of the ball, I stand near the offense. I am not coaching or talking to her, but just able to watch her play better.

I think all parents should be silenced on the sideline, so then it really wouldn't matter who you were sitting next to, if they were not yelling throughout the game.

To me, this is not a war and we do not have to draw an imaginary line at the midway point between the parents. Lets just all get along and act like adults.

Peace------ sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Hootna 14/11/12, 01:32 pm

That would be great but unfortunatley there are a lot of loud mouth folks that wander up and down the sidelines screaming and that is annoying.
Hootna
Hootna
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 01:39 pm

Guidelines have been set because parents in the past have acted awful. The set of guidelines address by the op is not the final say but definately will help preventing any altercations when matches become tight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighting Rod 14/11/12, 01:44 pm

Runslikewind what magical land are you from? I would love to visit and ride their Unicorns.

As an extension of your proposal it would be great if all of the girls sat together and our Coach and your Coach gave each other a hug after each goal.

Have you ever been playing for a league championship? If you not pulling your hair out and giving all of your support to your team when it is still 0-0 in the final minutes of the game you might be in the wrong place. Have you explored chess?

Lighting Rod
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 01:50 pm

I can barely stand the crazy parents when they sit on their side. Sit next to me and listen to crazy sh!t all game? No thanks! Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 14/11/12, 01:57 pm

I don't care which team you cheer for, if you're a loudmouth then stay towards the midfield.

Many of us prefer to slip quietly down the sidelines and sit in peace, not screaming and yelling at children. If you see somebody sitting off by themselves, attentively focused on the game, just leave them alone. Those people that have intentionally removed themselves from the mayhem just want to be left alone. They don't need loudmouth folks coming into their space to make crappy coaching points. We don't want to hear about your inane observations.

6. Loudmouths stay at midfield and chirp all you want. Leave the people that sit off to the sides (because they just want to enjoy their DD's game) in peace.

Last edited by bigtex75081 on 14/11/12, 01:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 14/11/12, 01:58 pm

Lighting Rod wrote:Runslikewind what magical land are you from? I would love to visit and ride their Unicorns.

As an extension of your proposal it would be great if all of the girls sat together and our Coach and your Coach gave each other a hug after each goal.

Have you ever been playing for a league championship? If you not pulling your hair out and giving all of your support to your team when it is still 0-0 in the final minutes of the game you might be in the wrong place. Have you explored chess?

Sorry to throw this back on you Lightning Rod, but the "magical land" Runs describes is pretty much every game in the U15 and higher age groups... probably U14 as well... don't worry.. you'll get there some day, and its a much more enjoyable experience for all.

I noticed this is an '04 thread so I understand the issues being discussed here.. The parents of Academy aged kids are absolutely the worst when it comes to etiquette and respect for each other.
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DEUCEE'Sdaddy 14/11/12, 01:58 pm

RunsLikeWind wrote:No offense meant at all and I see your side of things, but I disagree with just about everything you have listed.

What is wrong with parents intermingling and then acting like adults instead of kids on a playground? Parents should be able to watch the game from wherever they want, ( as long as it is not blocking someone else's view) and the parents should be adult enough not to get in a confrontation.

When my kid plays on the defensive side of the ball, I stand near the defense. When my kid plays on the offensive side of the ball, I stand near the offense. I am not coaching or talking to her, but just able to watch her play better.

I think all parents should be silenced on the sideline, so then it really wouldn't matter who you were sitting next to, if they were not yelling throughout the game.

To me, this is not a war and we do not have to draw an imaginary line at the midway point between the parents. Lets just all get along and act like adults.

Peace------ sunny
This is Merely a Verbal Warning...But Your Next Infraction MAY Result in a Yellow Card...

lol!

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoveYourFeet 14/11/12, 02:01 pm

Lighting Rod wrote:Runslikewind what magical land are you from? I would love to visit and ride their Unicorns.

As a parent that had a kid that played competitive chess (I'm not kidding), the parents were not allowed in to see the matches.
We sat outside in a room to ourselves and waited.

I was wondering if it was always like that in chess, or if something happened way back in the day that led to the chess parents
being separated from the competitors.
MoveYourFeet
MoveYourFeet
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 02:02 pm

First of all, "I" stopped playing for league championships years ago. My kids have played for a few.

That is part of the problem, overbearing parents that refer to their childrens teams as "WE". I let my kids play their own games and I sit back and watch. I have "nothing" to do with it. Unfortunately, most parents do tend to think that the yelling and screaming from the sidelines helps their kids, so maybe I am a little optmistic. Sound familiar "hair pulling out" cheers

Having said that, I will stand and or sit wherever I choose during my kids socer games. Very Happy

If childrens sports are making you pull your hair out, you might want to take up Yoga... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 02:03 pm

Slakemoth wrote:

Sorry to throw this back on you Lightning Rod, but the "magical land" Runs describes is pretty much every game in the U15 and higher age groups... probably U14 as well... don't worry.. you'll get there some day, and its a much more enjoyable experience for all.

I noticed this is an '04 thread so I understand the issues being discussed here.. The parents of Academy aged kids are absolutely the worst when it comes to etiquette and respect for each other.

BS I have been to many u15 games that were full of crazies, nice try. Run, we had a guy like you plop himself down on our side. We sat right next to him and right behind him. He and his discourtesy were gone in 5 minutes, sit on your damn side and dont be a tool.

Last edited by silentparent on 14/11/12, 02:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 14/11/12, 02:06 pm

MoveYourFeet wrote:

As a parent that had a kid that played competitive chess (I'm not kidding), the parents were not allowed in to see the matches.

I was wondering if it was always like that in chess, or if something happened way back in the day that led to the chess parents being separated from the competitors.
Did you ever see the episode of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when they caught the cheater? The cheater had a friend in the audience who coughed every time they read the correct answer. I imagine they had to move the chess parents out to prevent cheating like that.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 02:09 pm

silentparent wrote:
Slakemoth wrote:

BS I have been to many u15 games that were full of crazies, nice try. Run, we had a guy like you plop himself down on our side. We sat right next to him and right behind him. He and his discourtesy were gone in 5 minutes, sit on your damn side and dont be a tool.

If I were at a game against your kid, you would not even know what team my daughter played for, or if I was just an observer. Kind of like the way ALL parents should be, I will set the shining example. cheers

I may show up at the next game right next to you....

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 14/11/12, 02:15 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

I was wondering if it was always like that in chess, or if something happened way back in the day that led to the chess parents being separated from the competitors.
Did you ever see the episode of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when they caught the cheater? The cheater had a friend in the audience who coughed every time they read the correct answer. I imagine they had to move the chess parents out to prevent cheating like that.
Or have you seen the footage of that Spelling Bee mom that would spell the words for her kid to see from the audience?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DEUCEE'Sdaddy 14/11/12, 02:23 pm

Full Contact CHESS???...Extreme SPELLING BEE's???...Who Knew???...

confused

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighting Rod 14/11/12, 02:41 pm

If you have enough passion to post 300+ times on txsoccer.net you have pulled a hair or two. Come on now be honest have you really just sat there quietly for every game the whole game? Would everyone else on the sideline say the same about you? What about the time your daughter was tripped and the ref made the call on your daughter? You stayed cool that time?

My point is we are all human, will I hope we are all human. Don’t want to start a conversation about Soccer being the one true Universal sport.

Everyone gets heated at times. Just look at the responses to the original post and all the responses to those. The sides and teams are separated for a reason it’s your baby out there and that mean number 7 has been pushing her all day. The governing bodies think you have evolved some by time you get to Academy that is why you are not separated by a whole field like in Rec. By the way if you think U15 parents are that advanced you have never been part of an A&D panel.

Interesting note about chess, I had no idea thank you for the information.

When was the last time you were at a spelling bee and a fight didn’t happen in the parking lot.

Lighting Rod
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Crest1998 14/11/12, 02:42 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:
MoveYourFeet wrote:

Crest1998
Crest1998
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 02:48 pm

Lighting Rod wrote:If you have enough passion to post 300+ times on txsoccer.net you have pulled a hair or two. Come on now be honest have you really just sat there quietly for every game the whole game? Would everyone else on the sideline say the same about you? What about the time your daughter was tripped and the ref made the call on your daughter? You stayed cool that time?

My point is we are all human, will I hope we are all human. Don’t want to start a conversation about Soccer being the one true Universal sport.

Everyone gets heated at times. Just look at the responses to the original post and all the responses to those. The sides and teams are separated for a reason it’s your baby out there and that mean number 7 has been pushing her all day. The governing bodies think you have evolved some by time you get to Academy that is why you are not separated by a whole field like in Rec. By the way if you think U15 parents are that advanced you have never been part of an A&D panel.

Interesting note about chess, I had no idea thank you for the information.

When was the last time you were at a spelling bee and a fight didn’t happen in the parking lot.

I used to be more like most folks but had a very eye opening experience a few years ago with my son. A new player came to his team and was a real star. At the games, this new kids dad would stand by himself, and I never once in an entire season heard him say a word, mouth anything or make a gesture. Just stood there watching and observing. I once saw his son get taken out very hard by another player and the guy didn't make a sound or move. The guy displayed total class and his kids played like it. They did not get rattled, but instead got up and dominated the game. It made a big impression on me and if we parents could all do the same, the sidelines would be a better place and the kids were learn a valuable life lesson.

If my kid was playing against your kid, you would not know I was a parent on eiether team. I stand on the side where my kid plays and don't say a word......

silent

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighting Rod 14/11/12, 02:59 pm

He never even raised an arm when the kid scored a goal? Did you ever ask the kid if he felt fully supported or if he just got a ride to every game? When you do something amazing don’t you like to be celebrated? Did you watch him the whole time? Why are you not watching the game? Lots of cool stuff happens out there.

Lighting Rod
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/11/12, 03:10 pm

Lighting Rod wrote:He never even raised an arm when the kid scored a goal? Did you ever ask the kid if he felt fully supported or if he just got a ride to every game? When you do something amazing don’t you like to be celebrated? Did you watch him the whole time? Why are you not watching the game? Lots of cool stuff happens out there.

No, his kid would score and he would simply stand there with a satisfied look on his face as if he expected it. He was pretty cocky about his kid if you got to know him, but never said a word during games. I don't know if the kid felt supported or praised enough during the games and I don't know what they discussed in private conversations. Maybe the Dad told him he was better than the world and he should expect to dominate and it was expected from the DAD. The kid sure did play like it.

I watched him a lot, because it seemed odd to me at first compared to most parents yelling the entire time. Over time, I came to think that is way it should be. Personally, I would prefer if the parents were not allowed to watch the games at all until at least U13. MAke them sit in the carpark. ( It is not about "you" parents) (not directed to you Lightning, but most parents I see in general)

It would be better for the kids development.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner9 14/11/12, 04:04 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:I don't care which team you cheer for, if you're a loudmouth then stay towards the midfield.

Many of us prefer to slip quietly down the sidelines and sit in peace, not screaming and yelling at children. If you see somebody sitting off by themselves, attentively focused on the game, just leave them alone. Those people that have intentionally removed themselves from the mayhem just want to be left alone. They don't need loudmouth folks coming into their space to make crappy coaching points. We don't want to hear about your inane observations.

6. Loudmouths stay at midfield and chirp all you want. Leave the people that sit off to the sides (because they just want to enjoy their DD's game) in peace.

You'll find us sitting down by one of the corner flags, away from BOTH sets of parents cheers
Gunner9
Gunner9
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 14/11/12, 06:00 pm

topsecretsoccermomID wrote:*handclapping* I couldn't of wtote that better if I tried.The only thing I would add is if you know parents on the other team and want to say hello do that quickly and go back to your sideline. It's like entering hostile territory , enter at your own risk.

You need to work on your sarcasm . It is not really evident but you most surely be joking.

As to many of the rest of you who want peace and quite; did it ever occur to you that most players enjoy a loud sideline? Your at an athletic competition not a poetry reading. The problem is many do not know the difference between loudly supporting the team and loudly embarassing their children to the point they wish they could beam you up and back to the house. The players love loud cheering, not loud yelling at refs, not loud coaching from parents, not loud sideline reffing, not loud criticism of the other team. Why do you think as they get older HS sports are so popular ? Because everyone comes to watch? No. It is because everyone comes to loudly cheer for them.

my2cents
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next