North Texas Soccer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Tired of being slow on the soccer field? Get lightning fast 24/04/24, 08:38 pmJumpman
09 Boys Team Rockwall area22/04/24, 06:00 pmsocroc
Dallas Texans Soccer Club 2008G * ECRL, NTX17/04/24, 08:11 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans field player/keeper opportunities15/04/24, 11:52 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 10G Keeper/field opportunities15/04/24, 11:44 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans Soccer 2024/25 ECNL platform opportunities13/04/24, 11:45 amDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2024/25 Keeper opportunities13/04/24, 11:37 amDallas Texans East
Fever United 17G *NEW!* - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW11/04/24, 12:55 amJumpman
2024 University of North Texas Summer Camps09/04/24, 09:37 ammeangreen17
The Complete Soccer Individual Development Program22/03/24, 07:21 pmBen16
Renegades 2014G Pre-ECNL - Blanton12/03/24, 03:51 pmFCsoccer1
09 Boys13/02/24, 03:16 pmsocroc
Looking for 2014b to join our FCD 2014b east team-plano12/02/24, 11:39 pmLittleakde
Looking for 2014 boys,to join our FC Dallas 2014B east team12/02/24, 11:10 pmLittleakde
Cross City SC 12B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:10 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 13B (Allen, TX)12/02/24, 05:00 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B Classic DI & UPSL & CCSC 07B Classic D2 12/02/24, 04:51 pmSkyblueMachine
Cross City SC 06B (Classic DI & UPSL)12/02/24, 04:44 pmSkyblueMachine
ecnl 0906/02/24, 02:48 pmsmugrr
Fever United 14G Wright - Keller/Colleyville/Southlake/FTW21/01/24, 12:55 amFever United Wright
BVB 2015 Boys - Wylie, Rockwall, Plano11/01/24, 03:47 pmwyliesoccer
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 05:41 pmDallas Texans East
Dallas Texans 2014G Advanced group forming03/01/24, 02:44 pmDallas Texans East
2015B Team27/12/23, 12:10 pmBG1013
Dallas Showcase Keeper guest player opportunity 26/11/23, 01:19 pmDallas Texans East

I forgot my password

Be An Athletic Supporter!
Donate and get this nifty tag!

Only 2 clubs *PENDING - Page 4 Pixel
Statistics
We have 15805 registered users
The newest registered user is markschmidt4

Our users have posted a total of 205176 messages in 31964 subjects

Only 2 clubs *PENDING

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Only 2 clubs *PENDING - Page 4 Empty Re: Only 2 clubs *PENDING

Post by SickofStupidity 21/03/17, 02:38 pm

BigErn wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:
soccerjack wrote:Been thinking about starting my own team at that club.  Gonna focus on telling the parents what they want to hear.  No that wasn't your dd that tripped over her own feet, she was pushed.  Probably have them play in a rec league where we can rule and the parents don't no any different.  Did you pay your dues?  Excellent...your 8 yr old has a bright future on the DA team.  Should be able to get a good three year run out of each team I start.

straight from the BigE playbook

"And can we all please refrain from using this statement? ... "So here's a club selling themselves on development" -- it's mundane."

Again SoS? ... alrighty then --

Given your line of work, I wouldn't have thought that one would've gone over your head.

Lighten up Francis

SickofStupidity
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 21/03/17, 02:58 pm

SickofSilliness wrote:
BigErn wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:
soccerjack wrote:Been thinking about starting my own team at that club.  Gonna focus on telling the parents what they want to hear.  No that wasn't your dd that tripped over her own feet, she was pushed.  Probably have them play in a rec league where we can rule and the parents don't no any different.  Did you pay your dues?  Excellent...your 8 yr old has a bright future on the DA team.  Should be able to get a good three year run out of each team I start.

"And can we all please refrain from using this statement? ... "So here's a club selling themselves on development" -- it's mundane."

Given your line of work, I wouldn't have thought that one would've gone over your head.

Lighten up Francis

I always thought sos was an fcd coach. Is that not the case?
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 21/03/17, 05:19 pm

Foxysoccermom wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:
BigErn wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:

Lighten up Francis

Maybe he should apply? at this rate who knows who will be coaching there next year. I can't imaging any parent happy about what's happening in Frisco so my guess is the carousel will keep wobbling along.
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistAndShout 22/03/17, 10:06 am

ElClassico wrote:
Foxysoccermom wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:
BigErn wrote:
SickofSilliness wrote:

Lighten up Francis

Maybe he should apply? at this rate who knows who will be coaching there next year. I can't imaging any parent happy about what's happening in Frisco so my guess is the carousel will keep wobbling along.

Recruiting is not coaching... Cool

TwistAndShout
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by newbiefornow 22/03/17, 01:21 pm

Actually it is.

Google that...
(I'm not a coach)

Job Summary
The Head Football Coach is responsible for planning and directing the recruitment, conditioning, training, and performance of student athletes, along with fiscal program management, for USF’s NCAA Division I intercollegiate football program.

newbiefornow
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerDad75033 22/03/17, 01:48 pm

doublearound wrote:Regardless of what league we are talking about, its about paying for a product to improve your players game no matter the level.

FCD lists minimum coaching requirements on its website, so FCD is selling minimum qualifications for its coaches.  For select, you are required to have a C license or better,  Without one, you supposedly have 18 months to get one (from a D license).  On the teams we have been on, the vast majority of parents didn't play the game, so how can this group have the knowledge to know if a coach is qualified and can develop their child.  This group should expect that the club will provide someone that meets the minimum standards as listed on the website.

I will pile on to the U14 group of frisco girls.  The Red team coach appears to be the most qualified of the three, but may be more suited to an older group of girls.  In our experience, I liken the discipline and tone more to a high school level player and may be slightly harsh for 7th grade girls.

The Black team has made huge strides from a PPL team last year to likely attaining a bye into LH next year based on improved play.  The coaches bio on the website shows playing experience and a D license.  I know this coach joined FCD at least three years ago, so I’m not sure why a C level license hasn’t been obtained.

The White team has gone in the opposite direction and is in danger of relegation.  This coach was handed what was the second team in Frisco just prior to the start of select about three years ago.  The coach has no playing experience and an E license.  The coach has tried three different times to pass the D level test without success.

FCD, in my opinion has little regard for the girls program.  Its almost fraud to take in $3,500 and not provide coaches that meet the coaching standards you advertise.

This coach was given, what at the time, was the 4th team in the 04 age group  3 1/2 years ago.

As he developed players, FCD coaches above him tried to steal them (players they had previously turned down).

He stayed loyal to his players, and many stayed loyal to him (many who left are playing at a higher level - some starting on 03 DI teams).

Last edited by SoccerDad75033 on 22/03/17, 03:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

SoccerDad75033
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Poacher 22/03/17, 01:59 pm

Foxysoccermom wrote:
ElClassico wrote:A friend of mine with a daughter with FCD wants me to point out a few facts to defend the girls a bit :-)

FCD Red: They never wanted D1, LH forced them to take the bye after Lee decided to move his team. If they didn't they would have had to re qualify. Given that the team is a mix of players including some from D1 and D2 those kids wouldn't have joined knowing they were going to have to go through QT again. Also the team came together very late and is filled with basically "04" girls. Supposedly there are 5 or 6 with November or December 03 birthdays. So in most games they're playing girls almost a year older than them and yes at 13 it makes a difference. (Puberty)

FCD Black: Given where they started from last year, sitting at 13 in D2/D3 and only 7 points out of the top 10 isn't that bad. Again a lot of the same issues with age and size holds true

FCD White: Seems to be where they have been. Maybe the coach has brought them as far as he knows how?

That being said he agreed with most of the issue put forth on here. He's never seen Lee or anyone else from FCD step in and try to help.

I think their biggest problem is that they got away from the fundamentals like playing head it catch it during practice. I do like their focus on small space practices to work on the kids quick reaction skills though. They should probably try and get down to 10'x10' to really increase those reflexes. Doing this should get all the colors back on track.

lol, says the Dad/Mom from a club who never knows where they are practicing from week to week.
Poacher
Poacher
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxysoccermom 22/03/17, 02:16 pm

Poacher wrote:
Foxysoccermom wrote:
ElClassico wrote:A friend of mine with a daughter with FCD wants me to point out a few facts to defend the girls a bit :-)

FCD Red: They never wanted D1, LH forced them to take the bye after Lee decided to move his team. If they didn't they would have had to re qualify. Given that the team is a mix of players including some from D1 and D2 those kids wouldn't have joined knowing they were going to have to go through QT again. Also the team came together very late and is filled with basically "04" girls. Supposedly there are 5 or 6 with November or December 03 birthdays. So in most games they're playing girls almost a year older than them and yes at 13 it makes a difference. (Puberty)

FCD Black: Given where they started from last year, sitting at 13 in D2/D3 and only 7 points out of the top 10 isn't that bad. Again a lot of the same issues with age and size holds true

FCD White: Seems to be where they have been. Maybe the coach has brought them as far as he knows how?

That being said he agreed with most of the issue put forth on here. He's never seen Lee or anyone else from FCD step in and try to help.

I think their biggest problem is that they got away from the fundamentals like playing head it catch it during practice. I do like their focus on small space practices to work on the kids quick reaction skills though. They should probably try and get down to 10'x10' to really increase those reflexes. Doing this should get all the colors back on track.

lol, says the Dad/Mom from a club who never knows where they are practicing from week to week.

The groovy girls practice at the same place every week.
Foxysoccermom
Foxysoccermom
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by dreadpirateroberts 23/03/17, 09:00 am

New to FCD this year. Ill say this- we picked the coach not the club (always should be the case). Extremely happy with our coach.  The facilities are not to be overlooked. When you consider paying the same at a smaller club and practicing on that level of facility - to me that has some value. Is it enough to make up for poor coaching- no but it should be considered when determining value.

How do you fault FCD for parents throwing money at them for sub par coaching?  The responsibility of the informed consumer applies here.  If you want better coaching demand it.
dreadpirateroberts
dreadpirateroberts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ForReal 23/03/17, 09:13 am

dreadpirateroberts wrote:How do you fault FCD for parents throwing money at them for sub par coaching?  The responsibility of the informed consumer applies here.  If you want better coaching demand it.

Here's the problem with that in NTX: there aren't enough "better" coaches.  Given the numbers of girls playing soccer in NTX, there simply aren't enough quality coaches.  On top of that, the better coaches tend to draw the better players.  So, if you're not one of the better players, you can't demand better coaching.

Of course, there are exceptions, and all coaches have to start somewhere and improve over time - just like the players.

ForReal
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ElClassico 23/03/17, 09:33 am

dreadpirateroberts wrote:New to FCD this year. Ill say this- we picked the coach not the club (always should be the case). Extremely happy with our coach.  The facilities are not to be overlooked. When you consider paying the same at a smaller club and practicing on that level of facility - to me that has some value. Is it enough to make up for poor coaching- no but it should be considered when determining value.

How do you fault FCD for parents throwing money at them for sub par coaching?  The responsibility of the informed consumer applies here.  If you want better coaching demand it.
If this coach has the initials LW then I believe, for obvious reason he wouldn't be a part of this conversation. On the other hand he is a key player in the dibocle that the entire 03 age group has become. His fault, no. But his actions had many ramifications to the age group as a whole.

Last edited by ElClassico on 23/03/17, 09:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElClassico
ElClassico
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 23/03/17, 09:47 am

dreadpirateroberts wrote:New to FCD this year. Ill say this- we picked the coach not the club (always should be the case). Extremely happy with our coach.  The facilities are not to be overlooked. When you consider paying the same at a smaller club and practicing on that level of facility - to me that has some value. Is it enough to make up for poor coaching- no but it should be considered when determining value.

Sometimes you do as much research as you can and still end up with the giant shopping cart behind door #3

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by doublearound 23/03/17, 09:53 am

As stated previously, the vast majority of parents didn’t play the game and don’t watch the game much outside of their kids play. How do you expect this group of parents to know the difference between a qualified coach and a hack? While a coaching license is important and any dedicated full time coach should continually seek to better their license, I just can’t understand how anyone can coach soccer at the academy or select level without having any significant playing experience. I would categorize significant as having played select well into the teen years, high school, college, or professional.

I believe most of these qualified licensed coaches do know who the hacks are and turn a blind eye without saying anything, and allow Coach Con Artist to continue victimizing unsuspecting parents and their kids.

doublearound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by ForReal 23/03/17, 10:07 am

doublearound wrote:As stated previously, the vast majority of parents didn’t play the game and don’t watch the game much outside of their kids play.  How do you expect this group of parents to know the difference between a qualified coach and a hack?  While a coaching license is important and any dedicated full time coach should continually seek to better their license, I just can’t understand how anyone can coach soccer at the academy or select level without having any significant playing experience.  I would categorize significant as having played select well into the teen years, high school, college, or professional.

I believe most of these qualified licensed coaches do know who the hacks are and turn a blind eye without saying anything, and allow Coach Con Artist to continue victimizing unsuspecting parents and their kids.

I don't subscribe to this.  Some of the best coaches in their sport didn't play or play at a high level.  Conversely, some of the best players make the worst coaches.

When looking for a coach, it also depends on your DD's age.  Certain things are more important at certain levels and there are a bunch of factors to consider at each age and stage.  A coach that is good with one age, likely isn't good for all ages.

ForReal
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/17, 10:09 am

Would you say a coach spends 5 hours average a week devoted to a team? 3 hours of practice, average 1 game a week = 2 hours? I have heard the average a coach makes is 15,000 a select team? 2 teams = 30,000? 10 hours a week x 52 = 520 hours a year. 30,000 / 520 = 58 ish dollars per hour. With pretty much zero certification, education, or accountability. Sucker us to sign year long contracts for 10 year olds (my daughter was 9 this year when signing first contract) There in lies the problem. It's like healthcare system, broke.  And we stand in line to give it to them. I would think I am in the ball park on numbers. Maybe completely wrong. That's "part time" coaches. Dare you to think about coaches that are given a "director" title, and have 4 teams.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/17, 10:14 am

There are exceptions to this, like all things. But it is what it is. Point is, it attracts a lot of coaches in it for the wrong reasons, and not qualified. But again, we pay it. Certain parts of country are way different.

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 23/03/17, 10:25 am

doublearound wrote:As stated previously, the vast majority of parents didn’t play the game and don’t watch the game much outside of their kids play.  How do you expect this group of parents to know the difference between a qualified coach and a hack?  While a coaching license is important and any dedicated full time coach should continually seek to better their license, I just can’t understand how anyone can coach soccer at the academy or select level without having any significant playing experience.  I would categorize significant as having played select well into the teen years, high school, college, or professional.

Actually this is the problem, just because you played for Anywhere FC as a kid doesn't make you a coach. Especially if you're a guy. A ton of issues listed on these forums are based upon the fact that these coaches are simply using what they know from their coach and playing time. However nobody in that equation was female, and coaching 13 year old girls is 1000% different than coaching 17 year old boys. I find it amusing reading these coaches bios..."I played 3 years for BFE high school, was a bench player in D4 college, and attended a try out for Peoria's indoor soccer team"...WHO CARES?!? Can you develop my daughter into a better player than she was 6 months ago? Can you instill a love for the game rather than making it a chore? Can you teach her that dedication and hard work in life pays off? Or are you going to sit on the sidelines telling her she's doing "it" wrong" without ever explaining what "it" is because that's how you learned?

A wise manager once said "A jockey doesn't have to be born a horse" when people asked him how he could manage a professional team without having played the game. The same manager went on to win the league in Italy, 2 YourApeeIn Cups, won 2 place in a World Cup, named one of the top 10 coaches in UEFA and so on.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/17, 10:44 am

ForReal wrote:

I don't subscribe to this.  Some of the best coaches in their sport didn't play or play at a high level.  Conversely, some of the best players make the worst coaches.

When looking for a coach, it also depends on your DD's age.  Certain things are more important at certain levels and there are a bunch of factors to consider at each age and stage.  A coach that is good with one age, likely isn't good for all ages.

I agree. We have way too much anecdotal evidence to support this.

I do believe a coach should be able to model what to do, not just tell (yell) them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/17, 10:54 am

db10 wrote:

Actually this is the problem, just because you played for Anywhere FC as a kid doesn't make you a coach. Especially if you're a guy. A ton of issues listed on these forums are based upon the fact that these coaches are simply using what they know from their coach and playing time. However nobody in that equation was female, and coaching 13 year old girls is 1000% different than coaching 17 year old boys. I find it amusing reading these coaches bios..."I played 3 years for BFE high school, was a bench player in D4 college, and attended a try out for Peoria's indoor soccer team"...WHO CARES?!? Can you develop my daughter into a better player than she was 6 months ago? Can you instill a love for the game rather than making it a chore? Can you teach her that dedication and hard work in life pays off? Or are you going to sit on the sidelines telling her she's doing "it" wrong" without ever explaining what "it" is because that's how you learned?

A wise manager once said "A jockey doesn't have to be born a horse" when people asked him how he could manage a professional team without having played the game. The same manager went on to win the league in Italy, 2 YourApeeIn Cups, won 2 place in a World Cup, named one of the top 10 coaches in UEFA and so on.
Ha, you said Your A Peein! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 23/03/17, 10:55 am

Sho'Nuff wrote:
ForReal wrote:

I agree. We have way too much anecdotal evidence to support this.

I do believe a coach should be able to model what to do, not just tell (yell) them.

Not playing doesn't mean they can't model the skill being taught. I screwed my knee up and couldn't play past high school yet I can show my daughter the proper way to do something.

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by db10 23/03/17, 10:55 am

Cleansheets wrote:
db10 wrote:

Ha, you said Your A Peein! Laughing
yes even after editing it. Rolling Eyes

TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23/03/17, 11:04 am

That very same thing has happened to me on here as well. Could be a classic easter egg.

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerDad75033 23/03/17, 11:16 am

Interesting.

My brother coached academy and carried the team to a year of select in Houston.

He had no "formal" training (no high school or beyond soccer), a D license, played adult rec - and has 3 daughters.

He was the coach - he could demonstrate everything he taught the girls, manage, work lineups, be a mentor, encourage, understand pre-teen and teen girls as well as he could, but recognized that he could not be it all.  He also realized that one set of eyes was not enough.

So they brought in a trainer - to train.  The trainer would come in to teach skills and have a second set of eyes in drills.  He said the trainer would never be an effective coach - but was an awesome trainer.

Too many coaches around here can't train, and won't look past their own limitations.

SoccerDad75033
Annual Supporting Member
Annual Supporting Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 5050Ball 23/03/17, 11:28 am

SoccerDad75033 wrote:Interesting.

My brother coached academy and carried the team to a year of select in Houston.

He had no "formal" training (no high school or beyond soccer), a D license, played adult rec - and has 3 daughters.

He was the coach - he could demonstrate everything he taught the girls, manage, work lineups, be a mentor, encourage, understand pre-teen and teen girls as well as he could, but recognized that he could not be it all.  He also realized that one set of eyes was not enough.

So they brought in a trainer - to train.  The trainer would come in to teach skills and have a second set of eyes in drills.  He said the trainer would never be an effective coach - but was an awesome trainer.

Too many coaches around here can't train, and won't look past their own limitations.

That model was used here in NTX very effectively by some of the top girl's programs for many years. Then the "trainers" realized they were missing out on the money train.
5050Ball
5050Ball
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tpitty 23/03/17, 11:31 am

SoccerDad75033 wrote:

This is how NTX soccer was while I was growing up. A trainer trained the kids, and the dad coach handled the games. This was the old format.

tpitty
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by doublearound 23/03/17, 12:46 pm

For those that think it’s acceptable to have a coach with little or no playing experience, do you also go to some back alley doctor who can google your ailment and might give you some good advice because they’ve watched videos and read books about the profession? Or, would you prefer a doctor that was trained by doctors and properly licensed.

Circling back to the majority of the discussion on this thread questioning what is happening at FCD. Are you also an apologist for a select level U14 coach with no playing experience and an E license. How effective do you think the skills lessons are, the game instruction, and teaching the fundamentals of the game.

doublearound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next